Start by marking “Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine” as Want to Read:
Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine (Nate the Great #15)

3.99 of 5 stars 3.99  ·  rating details  ·  173 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Nate the Great hates mushy stuff. But when he spies a big red paper heart taped to the outside of Sludge's doghouse, Nate knows he must help out his favorite pooch. Wh has left Sludge a secret valentine?

It's a mystery until Nate finds out his friend Annie is missing a valentine. The case seems easy. Nate is relieved. No more mushy stuff. That's what he thinks.
Published January 1st 1995 by Yearling (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nate the Great and the Mushy Valentine

Measle and the Mallockee by Ian OgilvyStink by Megan McDonaldThe Grunts in Trouble by Philip ArdaghAwful End by Philip ArdaghThe Fall of Fergal by Philip Ardagh
Series Reads for 2nd Grade Boys
80th out of 91 books — 2 voters
Diary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyHorrid Henry's Joke Book by Francesca SimonDragon Howl by Vanessa RouseDragon Rider by Cornelia FunkeThe Adventures of Captain Underpants by Dav Pilkey
2nd Grade Book List for Boys
126th out of 133 books — 21 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Cute and fun! The little mystery adds an interesting element to the usual "kids making Valentine's" theme and Nate is so funny and determined and "great." I think this one would especially appeal to boys.
Melanie Hansen
Let me just say that my 7 yr. old son has read A LOT of Nate The Great books. We had a book party for this book just before Valentines day. We had a friend that is named Nate dress up as Nate The Great and greet the kids as they came, give them their detective hats and magnifying glass, then take them on a "treasure hunt" that included a pancake breakfast break then ended with them finding Sludge (the treasure which was a dog stuffed animal for each child--really cheap ones). They did some of th ...more
Lisa Cohn
Michael, age 5, loves all the Nate the Great books. He likes this one because of all the silliness related to Valentine's Day--and all the confusion related to who gave who a valentine. It's one of the harder-to-solve Nate the Great mysteries, he says. Watch his YouTube book review here:
Dolly
Feb 15, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Now that we've read this book, we've completed the entire Nate the Great series by Marjorie Weinman Sharmat and Marc Simont. We started reading these stories a few years ago and our girls liked them a lot, especially our youngest. So it was a little bittersweet to conclude the series, but I thought that it would be nice to read this last one on Valentine's Day.

The story was interesting and fairly typical for the series. We enjoyed reading this story together and we are a little sad to say goodby
Seth
Sludge got a valentine that said I love you sludge more then fudge. Nate the great had to find out who it was from . It was from Harry.
Michelle. D.
Nate the Great books aren't that great. I hated them when I was a kid, yet I would always read them.The endings of the books were always the same, they figured out what or who did it. And where are Nate's parents? They just let their son walk around everywhere and question people. That is very irresponsible of them. Nate the Great books always made me fall asleep and always wasted my time. I would not recommend this book to anyone, especially little kids. If kids want real mystery, they should r ...more
Kristine Pratt
Fabulous story with a really hilarious ending. Loved it!

Also, the added bonus of the extra Valentine's day things make me wish I had a copy of the book so I could keep the recipes and craft ideas. This book is perfect to enjoy with your child for Valentine's Day. Highly recommended!
Deborah Harris
Dec 30, 2013 Deborah Harris added it
Shelves: a25, ar-3
AR Quiz No. 9286 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 3.0 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, VP
Erin
Read this to First Graders for Valentine's Day. Longer-than-a-picture-book, shorter-than-a-chapter-book style may have been a bit much, but many of them took out other Nate the Great books afterwards. I like Nate's voice and that he eats pancakes when he's thinking.
Shelley
Nate the Great cannot face what is hanging on his door. Maybe it will fall off, rot, die. I gave this book to my valentine, my son, who was born on that very day eight years ago.
Kelli
Another great one! Love Nate's voice and so do my kids. at 2 and 4 it's great that something like this keeps them interested.
Eliza Fox
There was two mysteries that were actually one. I liked both mysteries. They were so fun.
Rachel Richardson
I read Nate the Great as a child, and they still hold up surprisingly well.
Erin Bartos
one of my very favorite valentine's books.
Chris Meier
Chris Meier marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Julia
Julia added it
Sep 04, 2014
M
M added it
Aug 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Cam Jansen and the First Day of School Mystery (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #22)
  • Harry by the Sea
  • Roses Are Pink, Your Feet Really Stink
  • Horrible Harry and the Christmas Surprise
  • The Panda Puzzle (A to Z Mysteries, #16)
  • Get Ready for Second Grade, Amber Brown
  • Henry and Mudge and the Snowman Plan (Henry and Mudge, #19)
  • Clifford's First Valentine's Day
  • The Ballad of Valentine (Picture Puffins)
  • Froggy's First Kiss
Marjorie Weinman Sharmat is an American children's writer. She has written more than 130 books for children and teens and her books have been translated into several languages. They have won awards including Book of the Year by the Library of Congress or have become selections by the Literary Guild.
More about Marjorie Weinman Sharmat...
Nate the Great Nate the Great Goes Undercover Nate the Great and the Big Sniff Nate the Great and the Missing Key Nate the Great and the Sticky Case