Start by marking “Gothic Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Gothic Short Stories

Gothic Short Stories

This superb new collection brings together stories from the earliest decades of Gothic writing with later 19th and early 20th century tales from the period in which Gothic diversified into the familiar forms of the ghost-and horror-story. Some of these stories are lost masterpieces and several have never been anthologised before.
Paperback, Tales of Mystery & the Supernatural, 272 pages
Published September 5th 2002 by Wordsworth Editions Ltd

To ask other readers questions about Gothic Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gothic Short Stories

Craig
Jan 17, 2009 Craig rated it liked it
Poe was awful! awful!!
Charlotte Perkins Gilman, on the other hand, was awesome. the yellow wallpaper creeped (excuse the pun) me out the most out of any of the stories, and it isn't definitely a ghost story.
ambrose bierce was pretty good too, as was r.l.s. who's story was extremely well-written though a bit dull. unless you take the interpretation that gray's body reappeared at the end as a ghostly apparition as opposed to the notion that his corpse had been sown back together after being dissec
Tim Pendry
Wordsworth Classics are generally very good value. This is no exception - a collection of twenty gothic short stories from the second half of the eighteenth century through to the Edwardian era.

What is interesting about the collection is that David Blair has usefully compared and contrasted the English and American approaches with an eye to illustrating his fine introduction.

He also introduces us to American by-ways that I had not known before - alongside Poe, Gilman and Bierce are three tales b
Diana
Nov 16, 2008 Diana marked it as to-read
Shelves: own-it
I am currently reading 'The Thirteenth Tale' and only now believe in love at first sight. On page 42 Setterfield names seven literary texts, only one of which I am not familiar with: 'The Spectre Bride.' Naturally, I immediately searched it on goodreads, only to find that no such title was listed. Nor was any information to be found on wikipedia. I finally resorted to Amazon, and this anthology was the answer to my question: 'The Spectre Bride' (apparently by an anonymous author) is among its co ...more
Kirsty
Feb 13, 2008 Kirsty rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: I wouldn't recommend
Personally I didn't really enjoy this book. I had recently read a book of 'thriller' short stories and was hoping to be as enthralled by this book as I was by that one. Unfortunately this was not the case. The book has stories from the 1700's up to the early 1900's. There were a couple of good stories, but the majority just didn't keep my interest at all. I found that the stories were better towards the end of the book, and the final story 'The Room in the Tower' was a great finish, however over ...more
Sarah ♥ Vutch forever ♥
I read the first few stories but they were boring so I quit.
Belle Wood
Nov 22, 2015 Belle Wood rated it liked it
The recent film Crimson Peak makes me ask: is the gothic genre even relevant anymore? Early gothic stories seem to be predicated on one concept alone--that young women are foolish and will follow their hearts off the edge of a cliff. It's not a view that sits well in a feminist (or almost feminist, or feminist-leaning) society. Certainly, the early stories in this book (starting from 1773) back that up: women scream, faint and fall in love right on cue, while all around them ghosts, bandits and ...more
Christopher
May 12, 2013 Christopher rated it liked it
Readers who pick up this anthology looking exclusively for horror and ghosts may come away disappointed, as the focus of this volume is on the "gothic" story, and while there are ghosts and other horrors, there are also castles and bandits and stormy landscapes, madmen and vengeful priests and Faust-like wanderers (particularly in the early tales).

This being said, there are some good spooky tales in the mix. Elizabeth Gaskell's "The Old Nurse's Story" and E.F. Benson's "The Room in the Tower" ar
Caidyn (BW Book Reviews)
The selection of stories in this book were decent. Luckily, I had never read any of them, so that was a treat for me. Some stories I didn't understand why they were considered gothic; they usually fell flat at the end or came to a resolution that made no sense with the story. The authors included I did know -- Charles Dickensand Edgar Allan Poefor example -- fell flat. I have one large praise and it is composed of one story: The Yellow Wallpaper. It was fantastic. The author had an air to the sl ...more
Clint
Jun 19, 2012 Clint rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2012
I can't believe I didn't like this book more than I did. Old-school gothic horror in theory really gets my rocks off. But, my god, maybe I've gotten old and gothic lit isn't really gothic anymore, or even good. There were a couple of standout stories, the best one being by a pretty much anonymous writer, about a werewolf, oh, and "The Yellow Wallpaper," which isn't that gothic, but excellent. And of course Poe, M.R. James, and R.L. Stevenson kicked ass, but most people into cool literature of th ...more
Lena
Nov 05, 2013 Lena rated it really liked it
This is a collection of different gothic stories from England and America. The ones I really liked were the following:

The parricide's tale by Chrales Robert Maturin
Strange event in the life of Schalken the Painter by J.S.Le Fanu (A kind of vampire story)
The body- snather by Robert Luis Stevenson (My favorite)
The yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Perkins Stenson (maybe the creepiest one)
No. 252 Rue M.le Prince by Ralph Adams Cram (a kind of witch story)
The lame Priest by S.Carleton (a werewolf story
Yvonne Williams
Aug 04, 2013 Yvonne Williams rated it really liked it
I am conflicted on this book. I think the important thing to remember for anyone wanting to read it, is, to remember that gothic does not equal ghost or terror. There were some really good stories and some not so. But the good thing about short stories - they are short. So if you don't like it, it will be over shortly and there will be another. I would say do not give up if you do not like the first couple - there are some gems in this collection.
Crash
Feb 10, 2012 Crash rated it liked it
An interesting collection of old gothic stories - it really showed the roots of a lot of modern literature, particularly horror. The stories themselves were fairly hit and miss - obviously, many of them now seem cliched. I think my favourite was 'The Yellow Wallpaper' - a whole horror story based around some innocent (or perhaps not so innocent?) wallpaper? It shows a lot about social attitudes at the time, and maps a woman's descent into madness.
Rina
Aug 28, 2010 Rina rated it really liked it
Most of the stories in here were very good. They were all written in the 18th and 19th centuries, so the stories had a different kind of horror than we are used to now (in a good way). There were a few stories that didn't interest me at all (and some I just didn't get), but overall the majority of the stories were great.
Danielroffle
May 22, 2011 Danielroffle rated it really liked it
These Wordsworth anthologies always tend towards compiling the same half dozen or so 19th century tales (how many times do we need to reread that godamn Wilkie Collins story about the incredibly strange bed?); this edition though has some added value via an insightful introduction by David Blair and through including some 18th century material, much of which is pretty violent and depraved.
Carmen
Jun 16, 2016 Carmen rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Excellent collection including Poe, Hawthorne, Le Fanu, Dickens, Bierce, Stevenson, Scott, and many others. My favorite was The Lame Priest by S. Carleton....fabulous setting and perfect creepiness. And I can't forget The Yellow Wallpaper is present as well. Gotta love Gothic.
Silvana
Surprisingly, this book is quote spooky. There are some stories that's not your generic horror stories with great nerve-racking ending. With stories from a number of renowned writers such as Dickens, Hawthorne and Poe, this book can be one alternative reading if you're a fan of horror novels.
Emily
Aug 04, 2011 Emily rated it really liked it
Spook, delightful Victorian story telling. A lovely bedtime read.
Linda Rollins
Oct 30, 2011 Linda Rollins rated it really liked it
Read some of the stories, but not all. Some better than others, but all ideal for a dark and rainy night.
Lamprini
Jan 28, 2013 Lamprini rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, horror, fantasy
πολυ καλες ιστοριες!!!!
Carol Meier
Carol Meier rated it liked it
Dec 25, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2010
Amber
Amber rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Marc
Marc rated it liked it
Sep 02, 2015
TellyTheBird
TellyTheBird rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2016
Paul Wilcock
Paul Wilcock rated it liked it
May 22, 2014
Gyongyi70
Gyongyi70 rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2012
David Stone-haigh
David Stone-haigh rated it it was ok
Apr 16, 2014
Brigitte
Brigitte rated it liked it
Oct 28, 2012
Govella Family
Govella Family rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2016
Rizky Rahmadani
Rizky Rahmadani rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2014