Start by marking “The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight” as Want to Read:
The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight

The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  89 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Always provocative, frequently hilarious, and at times deeply poignant, these enchanting fairy tales--selected by children's literature expert Jack Zipes--are as marvelous to read aloud with a child as they are to enjoy in solitude. Magnificent, original full-page and spot illustrations by Stephane Poulin enhance the text.
Published November 1st 1994 by Bantam

To ask other readers questions about The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight

Jen
This is a cute little collection, and one that really makes me wonder what would happen if someone made another, more modern anthology like it. The stories in this edition range from the 1950s to the early 90s, which is smack on the top of the crest of the feminist movement--and it shows. I'm all for feminism in stories, but the thing that I found kind of annoying about these stories was that, in trying to ditch the helpless princess role, they just created other walls. Great, princesses are now ...more
Brian
Another one that caught my attention coming across the returns desk at the library. It was a great little read, nothing serious to say; I finished it in approximately a day or two of passive reading, as I recall. Fun stories, quick read, what more could you want?
Kate
I just adored the illustrations in this book! I'm thinking of keeping it for the illustrations alone. The fairy tales were just average.
I want to start off by saying I did enjoy many of the stories in this book and think the idea of collecting up modern fairy tales is a great idea.
The problem I have is more with the introduction (and back cover) which goes on about the "dubious messages when it comes to the depiction of gender roles, violence and democracy" in classical fairy tales. It also mentions how many of these stories are outdated and no longer relatable. So I sort of expected that these would be stories with fresh per
Nafiza
Let me tell you the story about how this book and I met.

It was a rainy day in September and I was frantically looking through books at the Vancouver Public Library sale. This novel caught my eye but I put it aside convinced that I had no room in my suitcase (yes, I took a suitcase) for this title but then my eye snagged on it and it seemed to regard me sadly. So finally I decided that back be damned, I must have this book. And 75 cents later, it was mine.

Of course, it languished on my shelf for
L.
This is probably targeted at the "young adult" audience, but it's a fun read for adults too, particularly in adults who recognize subtext in traditional fairy tales. Going along with that theme, Zipes points out that "[a]ll of the major protagonists of the most exciting fairy tales of the 1970s were female. Whether the tale was written by a man or a woman...." Not, by any means, to say that all the women in these stories are paragons of wonderfulness.

The collection includes writings by everyone
Kanzeda Crenshaw
This treasury of modern fairy tales is everything I had hoped it would be. The stories draw upon all of the old stand by fairy tale plots, but put smart, independent and somewhat quirky heroines and heros in their midst.

If pressed to select my favorite of the tales, I would select "The Story of the Eldest Princess" by A.S. Byatt. The princess is all to familiar with the story she has been set into and takes matters into her own hands, changing her fate.

A Jack Zipes collection once again prompts
Ashley
I enjoyed these stories a lot more than I thought I would. I was originally interested in this book because it is a compilation of short story fairy tale retellings. I love fairy tales, and thought it would be a great read. Then, I read the first story, and put the book back on my shelf for about a year. I picked it up again, and I really liked it! There were some retellings that I didn't really care for, but overall I really liked this book, and thought that most of the retellings were very wel ...more
Susan
This collection showcases the danger when writers write to Make a Point rather than to Tell a Story. It's didactic, silly, and dull, with the exception of "The White Seal Maid" by Jane Yolen and "The Story of the Eldest Princess" by A.S. Byatt. Zipes thinks Coombs "invented" "Molly Mullett"; apparently he hasn't read enough traditional stories to recognize a humorless knock-off of Molly Whuppie.
Wendy Lu
One of my friends gave this to me for my birthday last august. It was his copy of a childhood favorite that he didn't much read anymore and so passed to me because he figured I'd like it. Needless to say, I did. Some of the stories were not exactly my cup of tea, but some were just...wow.
LG
Jun 27, 2011 LG rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the young-at-heart
Inverted fairy tales are always amusing. Besides the two title stories, the standouts in this volume are “The Faithful Bull” by toreador fan Ernest Hemingway and “The White Seal Maid” by the fantasy writer Jane Yolen. The illustrations are pretty, too.
Sara
As much as I like fairy tales, I like modern ones better. What more can I say? This book rocks. I especially like Petronella.
Serina
the book you were thinking about writing when reading all fairy tale stories.
Kathleen
Thought provoking twists on familiar tales.
Kailey
Love these! So fun!
Kimberly
Kimberly is currently reading it
Nov 21, 2014
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2014
Novalis
Novalis marked it as to-read
Nov 16, 2014
Amberle Husbands
Amberle Husbands marked it as to-read
Nov 12, 2014
Laura marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Beth
Beth added it
Oct 14, 2014
Kathely
Kathely marked it as to-read
Oct 11, 2014
Robin Jackson
Robin Jackson marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Ben
Ben marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Krys
Krys marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
  • Jim Henson's Storyteller
  • King Matt the First
  • Once Upon a Time
  • The Seeing Stick
  • The Chronicles of Narnia: The Silver Chair Literature Unit Study C S Lewis Narnia
Jack David Zipes is an American retired Professor of German at the University of Minnesota, who has published and lectured on the subject of fairy tales, their linguistic roots, and argued that they have a "socialization function". According to Zipes, fairy tales "serve a meaningful social function, not just for compensation but for revelation: the worlds projected by the best of our fairy tales r ...more
More about Jack Zipes...
Don't Bet on the Prince: Contemporary Feminist Fairy Tales in North America and England The Great Fairy Tale Tradition: From Straparola and Basile to the Brothers Grimm Beauty and the Beast and Other Classic French Fairy Tales Spells of Enchantment: The Wondrous Fairy Tales of Western Culture The Oxford Companion to Fairy Tales