Start by marking “Between Heaven and Earth” as Want to Read:
Between Heaven and Earth

Between Heaven and Earth

Two of the foremost American educators and healers in the Chinese medical profession demystify Chinese medicine's centuries-old approach to health. Combining Eastern traditions with Western sensibilities in a unique blend that is relevant today, Between Heaven and Earth opens the door to a vast storehouse of knowledge that bridges the gap between mind and body, theory and ...more
Published June 30th 1992 by Ballantine Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Between Heaven and Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Between Heaven and Earth

Patrick
Feb 27, 2013 Patrick rated it liked it
Jackson Burnett
The first half of this book explains traditional Chinese medicine in language those of us from the West understand. It's fascinating and helpful. The second half of the book deals primarily with herbs and foods used to restore balance. It was not easy to understand and was more than I wanted to know.
Jill
Jan 12, 2012 Jill marked it as unfinished-for-now
Loving it so far. Makes fantastic sense: Western philosophy of medicine viewing the body as a machine/doctor as mechanic vs. Eastern philosophy of body as a garden/doctor as gardener (issuing more preventative care as opposed to reactionary solutions).
Rachel
Feb 18, 2013 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Excellent for those who know little about Chinese Medicine and those who have been studying it for years! Helpful for practitioners to explain to their patients/clients as well. A very good read for anyone! I am always referencing this book!
Rebecca
Jan 26, 2012 Rebecca rated it really liked it
This was a good general overview of traditional Oriental Medicine. I'd recommend it for someone starting out with very little to no knowledge. There are better books if you want more details.
Craig Karls
Mar 16, 2012 Craig Karls rated it really liked it
Clear concise introduction to Chinese Medicine.
Amy Sedgwick
Oct 24, 2016 Amy Sedgwick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comprehensive guide to Chinese medicine

Nice narrative. Breaks down complexities of 5 element theory nicely. Really liked the contrast and interplay between Western and Eastern medicine and how these two approaches can co mingle to support health. Very good .
Kriss A Erickson
Mar 15, 2013 Kriss A Erickson rated it it was amazing
Between Heaven and Earth is a well-written, clear exploration of the Chinese Five Element theory as it is applied to the body's systems, to acupuncture, herbs and the overall balance and health of the body/mind/spirit.

Beinfield and Korngold write passionately about the energy systems of the body and how to understand the elements to keep your body in balance. They see stress and other energetic factors as the core cause of illness. As such, the better we are able to understand how our bodies res
Jan 18, 2008 Sarah rated it really liked it
I read this while in massage school. It was required reading for our Oriental Massage course, but I found it enthralling. It describes the basics of traditional Chinese medicine, teaching about the 5 element theory of illness and also teaching the basic meridians used in acupuncture and acupressure. It not only teaches the elements of Chinese medicine, it explains why these elements are used. It pulls from traditional Chinese texts as well as modern scientific discoveries. After reading it, I ...more
Melanie
May 04, 2009 Melanie rated it it was amazing
This book is widely appreciated by anyone wanting to learn about Chinese Medicine. It's written by the first Westerners to bring acupuncture to the West, and it beautifully explains principles in language that is clear and easy to understand. It also explains the differences between Chinese and Western medicine very well. Though I have read it, it's really a great book to go back and reference. I could read it many times over and keep learning.
Lorena
Sep 16, 2010 Lorena rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in Chinese Medicine, or personality types
Recommended to Lorena by: Shauna Broderick
This is a good introduction to Chinese medicine. It includes the physiological sides of the Five Phases (Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal and Water), as well as the psychological side. The personality links with the Five phases was my favorite part of the book. The physiological side was harder to understand, but still worth reading.
Tanuja
Apr 18, 2007 Tanuja rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in acupuncture, how Traditional Chinese Medicine "works"
This books is an accessible look at the philosophy and history behind Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) without getting too complex and detailed. However, do not stop with this one. Use this book to get the general ideas down, and then move on to The Web That Has No Weaver or any TCM textbook.
Douglas Pompermaier
May 14, 2015 Douglas Pompermaier rated it really liked it
Excelente e simples abordagem de como funciona a MTC. Ótimo para quem desejar compreender mais sobre o tema.
Divinal a comparação e diferenciação entre e Medicina Alopática e a Medicina Tradicional Chinesa.
Artemis
Sep 16, 2015 Artemis rated it really liked it
Using I-ching and elements with yin yang theory. It is an interesting and knowledgeable read.
I haven't yet fully read it myself, but I use it frequently for references when I look up information on herbs and remedies.
Nicole
Jan 13, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Marcia
Recommended to Nicole by: Julia Thie-acupuncturist
I started getting acupuncture and wanted to know "HOW" it works, this book is informative and easy to understand. Western medicine can't hold a candle to what other cultures have to offer concerning health and healing.
Tiffany
May 12, 2013 Tiffany rated it liked it
Shelves: chinese-medicine
Dense, and in some cases big question marks about intuitive leaps I'm not 100% on board with. But for people who have been trained in Five Element Theory it is thought-provoking. Not a book I love to return to.
Joshua
Fascinating and approachable introduction to five-phase theory. I really enjoy this type of thing because it is a new theoretical framework for understanding nature, the human psyche, health, etc. and the interactions between these things.
wheels
Feb 26, 2008 wheels rated it liked it
Shelves: medicine
a really good primer to chinese medicine with a lovely and brief critique of the mechanized, specialized, cartesian world of bio-medicine.
Jessica
Oct 15, 2007 Jessica rated it really liked it
I looove this book! It is an excellent introduction to Chinese medicine which is accessible to lay readers.
Brandi
Feb 21, 2016 Brandi rated it it was amazing
Found this book very helpful due to all the allergies and things I tend to be allergic to. This provided me with an alternative view to my own health.
Jean Marie Angelo
Oct 26, 2012 Jean Marie Angelo rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spirituality
A very accessible explanation of Chinese medical theory. Read it at a time when I studied yoga and shiatsu. A helpful look at the body, it's energy points, and how to live in balance.
Sara
Oct 05, 2008 Sara rated it really liked it
...fantastic...
outlining a medical model that feels closest to my heart and spirit-
and a book that will always be near for frequent reference!
Sue Gurland
Sue Gurland rated it it was amazing
Jun 14, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2013
Judith
Judith rated it liked it
Mar 10, 2012
Smoof
Smoof rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2015
Valerie Genge
Valerie Genge rated it really liked it
Nov 01, 2012
Christina
Christina rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2015
Siska
Siska rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2015
Shweta
Shweta rated it it was ok
Jul 26, 2013
  • The Web That Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine
  • Wood Becomes Water: Chinese Medicine in Everyday Life
  • Healing With Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition
  • Staying Healthy with the Seasons: 21st-Century Edition
  • The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists
  • The Way of Herbs
  • A Manual of Acupuncture
  • Rosemary Gladstar's Family Herbal: A Guide to Living Life with Energy, Health, and Vitality
  • Trail Guide to the Body: How to locate the body's muscles, bones and more (Third Edition)
  • Acupressure's Potent Points: A Guide to Self-Care for Common Ailments
  • The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine: A New Translation of the Neijing Suwen with Commentary
  • Job's Body: A Handbook for Bodywork
  • Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica
  • The Anatomy Coloring Book
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • The Yoga of Herbs: An Ayurvedic Guide to Herbal Medicine
  • Anatomy Trains: Myofascial Meridians for Manual and Movement Therapists
  • A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior

“The dense Yin Organs of the Liver, Heart, Spleen, Lung, and Kidney store the essential and potential energy derived from substances; the hollow Yang Organs of the Gallbladder, Small Intestine, Stomach, Large Intestine, and Bladder process the substances of the external environment.” 0 likes
“For Americans, psychology—the study of how people think, feel, and behave—captures immense interest. In contrast, the gaze of Chinese culture is averted away from the individual and instead directed toward social groups (the family, collective, and state), so psychology in China is quite underdeveloped, and its medicine has focused primarily upon physical symptoms. But because Chinese medical theory assumes human process unfolds as a consequence of the tension and unity between interacting systems, mental phenomena are not considered to be altogether separate or distinct from physical events.” 0 likes