Start by marking “Vampires: From Dracula to Twilight: The Complete Guide to Vampire Mythology” as Want to Read:
Vampires: From Dracula to Twilight: The Complete Guide to Vampire Mythology

Vampires: From Dracula to Twilight: The Complete Guide to Vampire Mythology

In this book, Charlotte Montague provides a guide to vampire mythology from around the world.
Published March 1st 2010 by Sphere (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vampires, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vampires

Carolyn  Storer
Jan 23, 2010 Carolyn Storer rated it really liked it
I haven't reviewed a mythology before so it does feel a little strange. I haven't read the entire book but dipped into it as if it were an encyclopedia. This is how I wanted to review this book, as a reference guide to all things vampire.

To start off with this is a gorgeous book. The pages are glossy and beautifully designed. The images used for each section of the book are great. The book is separated into five chapters with each sub-dividing further into different subjects. They range from the
Apr 03, 2011 Laura rated it really liked it
I received this book as a Christmas gift from my partner.
At the time of reading I was mostly laid up in bed rather drowsy and nursing a terrible head cold.
so my appologies about my memory of it being a little foggy.

I did really enjoy it, it's different to all other vampire guides I have read.

The cover art, I found very appealing sort of like an old spell book.

Inside is where the real difference lies, Although the myths/and how these myths came about within this book are the exact same as the on
Alexfierybookworm
Dec 27, 2016 Alexfierybookworm rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I've had this Book for ages-Yet I've only just read it...I loved it!
I've always found Vampire mythology interesting, so I already knew that I'd definitely enjoy reading more about it.
This Book goes through Vampire history, changes throughout the ages, myths & legends, horrific historical figures & Vampires depicted in T.V & Film.
The author's clearly educated on all of the above & I learnt quite a bit from it-Especially the historical aspects.
The only thing that annoyed me sligh
Elentarri
May 08, 2017 Elentarri rated it it was ok
Shelves: cryptozoology
A rather short, basic, introductory text to vampire mythology and literature. This is most certainly not a complete guide to vampire mythology. The physical book is apparently very pretty, but the e-book is just a regular run-of-the-mill ebook. This may be a book for teenage Twilight fans and the like, but for a serious researcher or just the curious, other books will be more useful.

Better books on the subject include:
Anything written by Claude Lecouteux, but specifically "The Secret History of
Kylie
Mar 23, 2013 Kylie rated it liked it
Shelves: vampires
Really more of a 2.5 stars, but since I can't do half a star it gets rounded up.

As the title may suggest to you, this comes across as a book written to cash in on the popularity of Twilight. Especially since references to it crop up occasionally in the body of the book outside of the series' allocated two-page discussion, but also as the discussion of it includes no external criticism when it is sometimes included when discussing other books and films - don't want to alienate or upset your (pre
Jenny / Wondrous Reads
Jan 30, 2010 Jenny / Wondrous Reads rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-review
Vampires is a lavishly illustrated look at vampire myths and legends, spanning hundreds of years and many different countries and cultures. Author Charlotte Montague has clearly meticulously researched the subject, and I can only imagine the time it must have taken her to accumulate all the relevant material.

It's a veritable source of information where vampires are concerned, and begins with an introduction into the undead, both in myth and the media. From there, it goes on to explore the origin
Sarah (blissbubbley)
Sep 12, 2012 Sarah (blissbubbley) rated it it was amazing
I have had this book for about two years now and I've read it through just once but I've come back and read it as a vampire resource countless times. I was recommended the book from a friend who thought I'd like it, she was right. I love all the mythology being put together alongside cult vampire classics such as Dracula up to the Twilight and True Blood times. I took off the papery sleeve as soon as I got it home, I like the feel of the actual hardcover and especially with a front cover that sh ...more
Andy Frankham-Allen
Aug 06, 2010 Andy Frankham-Allen rated it liked it
A well researched book, with wonderful detail on the historial and mythological context of vampires. For those not too hot on vampire history (and those who *think* they are), you'll come across loads of stuff you did not know. Even I learned a few things here, and that's saying something considering the amount of research I did into vampire lore for my Garden Saga novels. Some of the stories of supposed historical vampires were rather gruesome; vampire mythology is one thing, easily digested. B ...more
Jan 23, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
My family has been so supportive of my twilight love affair...buying me books to feed my never-ending curiosity with vamps. I dig this creepy book. I technically didn't "read" this book as much as I have flipped through and read excerpts as they catch my eye. The folkloric stories trace back centuries ago and cross multiple cultures -- which give me chills b/c the stories have sustained and embedded themselves so deeply into our art and literature. Cool book, slightly creepy, but fun to own if y ...more
Elaine White
Jul 19, 2011 Elaine White rated it it was amazing
I really like a good vampire story. However, I haven't really read any of the books. So, I thought I would get a rundown from this, as to what was good and what wasn't.

I really enjoyed this. It's a combination of comparisons between how different movies, books, myths describe vampires without saying which is right and which is wrong, or which is good and which is bad. It goes into the history, the real stories, the backgrounds and the fiction of vampires. A must read for vampire fans.
TJ
Feb 21, 2016 TJ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting look at the Vampire lore and where the mythical creature came from. Some very interesting illustrations and pictures included in the book. My favorite part of the book was the history of Vampire movies. My least favorite part was blurbs about historical killers that really weren't vampires but they did bizarre things with the bodies and blood.
Colleen
Jan 04, 2012 Colleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Such a fascinating read! I love learning about the historical facts behind legends such as those of vampires. I knew alot on the subject going into this, but I still managed to learn quite a few new things by the end of the book. You really aren't a big fan of vampires until you take the time to learn where it all began, way back even before Bram Stoker ever wrote Dracula.
Kayla
Jul 13, 2012 Kayla rated it really liked it
I really liked learning from this book. my favorite thing to read is the Vampire devotees-- the serial killers!
Anya (An Awful Lot of Reading)
Great book to dip in and out of, full of gruesome facts about the history and mythology of vampires and other mythical beasts.
Louise Morris
Nov 20, 2016 Louise Morris rated it it was amazing
Very interesting. Did skip the bit about "Twilight."'
ComicoTragiki
lots of nice pictures and stuffs.Important stories about vampires and mythical sources.
Willa
May 16, 2010 Willa rated it liked it
Shelves: i-own
Good and interesting information. Not great writing or editing, but still worth reading for quick info on the development, history & current state of the vampire mythos.
Susan Greenwood
Jul 27, 2015 Susan Greenwood rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-sortable
Very informative and quite fun to read to see where the popular stories originated from and to find some lesser known books to now read!
Kelly
Sep 23, 2010 Kelly rated it it was amazing
My Happy Birthday Book! I love new books!
Stine
Jan 18, 2016 Stine rated it really liked it
En av de bedre faktabøkene om vampyrer. Gir deg kort det basics, men veldig bra. Til og med noen ting jeg ikke visste.
Ea
Ea rated it it was amazing
Jun 04, 2010
Megan
Megan rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Natajia
Natajia rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2012
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Mar 21, 2011
Sudarsh Sudhakaran
Sudarsh Sudhakaran rated it it was amazing
Feb 28, 2014
Anna Louise Walker
Anna Louise Walker rated it really liked it
May 21, 2017
Lee
Lee rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2016
Daniella Gendreau
Daniella Gendreau rated it it was amazing
Jan 26, 2015
Franz
Franz rated it it was ok
Sep 04, 2015
drew king
drew king rated it it was amazing
Oct 11, 2016
  • Angel: The Casefiles, Volume 2
  • Vampires: A Field Guide to the Creatures That Stalk the Night
  • The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
  • The Mammoth Encyclopedia of the Unsolved
  • Favole: Stone Tears (Favole #1)
  • The Vampire Book: The Encyclopedia of the Undead
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Riley (Season 8, One Shot)
  • Japanese Mythology
  • Mysteries of the World: Unexplained Wonders and Mysterious Phenomena
  • Dracula's Brood: Neglected Vampire Classics
  • The Quotable Slayer
  • Little Things (Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 5, #4)
  • Tales of the Slayer, Vol. 4 (Tales of the Slayer, #4)
  • How to Be a Vampire: A Fangs-On Guide for the Newly Undead
Charlotte Montague is an author specializing in maritime history. Her father was a naval office, and as a child, she travelled the world with her family. She travels for most of the year, but returns frequently to her home, a remote 18th century cottage close to a famous smuggler's cove on the Cornish coast.
More about Charlotte Montague...