Start by marking “Earth: Portrait of a Planet” as Want to Read:
Earth: Portrait of a Planet

Earth: Portrait of a Planet

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  93 ratings  ·  11 reviews
This new edition retains the engaging style, clarity of explanations and accuracy of the science praised in the first edition. New case studies focus on how humans interact with the geology around them, both positively and negatively; and relevant material is included on comparative planetary science, highlighted by the success of the 2004 Mars missions.
Paperback, Second Edition, 740 pages
Published April 27th 2005 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published October 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Earth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Earth

Stan
Did you know that those striking mountains rimming Yosemite Valley are the remnants of lava frozen within volcanoes, seen now because the volcanoes themselves have eroded away? Or that much of California is the result of island chains smacking into the west coast of North America and sticking? Or that the Himalayas rose because India collided with Asia in the remote past? This book describes those events and many more. I am proud to have finished this 800-pager, ostensibly a college textbook, bu ...more
Michael Cayley
This is a superb and substantial book covering all major aspects of geology and geomorphology. Each section is self-contained so there is no need to read from cover to cover. A mass of photos and diagrams support the text. Explanations are comprehensible to readers with little previous knowledge, and a glossary helps with any unfamiliar terms. "Geotours" using Google Earth are available for those who want to explore geological phenomena visually. While the illustrations and examples are drawn fr ...more
Hildur
Really good. At the beginning of every chapter it starts by giving out really basic information on its subject and then slowly gets into more complicated things so that the reader doesn't get left behind, no matter what his/her background is. The book is abundant with great illustrations that explain concepts very clearly. Marshak often uses stories from real life as examples of geological phenomenons like with Pompeii (of course) and the interesting story of the 1986 Lake Nyos disaster.

The boo
Grace
I've only read the first 120 pages so far. I picked it up to help me understand the recent scary swarm of earthquakes near my LA home. It's an introductory geology text aimed at advanced HS or lower division college students. The book is very lucid, well-written and illustrated. Actually, the book explains concepts twice; once in words and then again in pictures with captions. It works for both left and right-brained people.

Now I finally understand plate tectonics and sea floor spreading. I thin
Alyssa
I'm excited about this course aside from the fact that millions and billions of years will be mentioned. I feel like I want to take the class, and then research the Creationist standpoint and then write a paper for my teacher, even though I'm not required write one. ;)

*Edit* Now that the semester is long over, I should put this on the shelf (virtually, of course :P). It was very informative and helpful although we completely skipped over the whole section about soils. It's crazy to believe that
Nicollette Buckle
In college, it was the first textbook that I enjoyed reading and that I found engaging. If it were not for this book I might not have found my niche in the geology department at my school.
Sami
Ah, let's see how I'd put this.. Well,.. this is the most romantic science textbook that I've ever read. I know how strange that sounds, yet it was like reading a novel, except everything was real.
Did I just have a book boner?

*Just done final exam on Engineering Geology today. Such a bittersweet feeling. :)
Lexi
Definitely not a favorite of mine, but I learned some pretty cool things!
Rebecca
This book is surprisingly engaging to read, considering it is a textbook.
Diana
Required reading for my Geology class, I learned quite a lot.
Robert
Robert added it
Mar 18, 2015
Frank P
Frank P marked it as to-read
Mar 08, 2015
Rodney Ulyate
Rodney Ulyate marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2015
Marcelo
Marcelo marked it as to-read
Mar 03, 2015
Sharanjeet Kaur
Sharanjeet Kaur marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2015
John
John marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Bongiwe Mc
Bongiwe Mc marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Chulumanco Marele
Chulumanco Marele marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
Lizah
Lizah marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Pheo
Pheo is currently reading it
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Simon & Schuster's Guide to Rocks and Minerals
  • The Encyclopedia of Crystals
  • Snowball Earth: The Story of the Great Global Catastrophe That Spawned Life as We Know It
  • A Contemporary Introduction to Free Will
  • Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems
  • The Fourth Genre: Contemporary Writers Of/On Creative Nonfiction
  • Electronic Devices (Conventional Current Version)
  • Basic Writings of Existentialism
  • The Official Scrabble Players Dictionary
  • After the Fact: The Art of Historical Detection, Volume 1
  • On Stories: And Other Essays on Literature
  • DK Handbook: Whales, Dolphins and Porpoises
  • Horses
  • Big Brain: The Origins and Future of Human Intelligence
  • National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Rocks and Minerals
  • Old English and Its Closest Relatives: A Survey of the Earliest Germanic Languages
  • Cassell's Concise Latin-English, English-Latin Dictionary
  • Asimov's Guide to the Bible: The New Testament
Essentials of Geology Basic Methods of Structural Geology The Earth, Vol. 1 Essentials of Geology (Fourth Edition) Earth: Portrait of a Planet (Fourth Edition)