Start by marking “A Woman's Eye a Woman's Eye” as Want to Read:
A Woman's Eye a Woman's Eye

A Woman's Eye a Woman's Eye

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  121 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Crime is common ground for the twenty-one women writers in this extraordinary collection of contemporary mystery fiction. The voices hereinclude professional crime solvers who take you from the mean streets of V.I. Warshawski's Chicago in a case of music and murder... tothe California freeway where Kinsey Millhone's beloved VW skids into a shooting... to the gang-held turf ...more
Published August 26th 2009 by Dell Publishing Company (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about A Woman's Eye a Woman's Eye, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Woman's Eye a Woman's Eye

Robin
What is better than reading a short mystery? How about a book-ful of mystery shorts?

Sara Paretsky, of V.I. Warshawski fame, edited A Woman's Eye, a book of short mysteries; she also wrote the introduction. It is not the only book Paretsky has edited; she followed it with Women On The Case (1996) and Sisters On The Case (2007).

In A Woman's Eye, the reader finds stories by Faye Kellerman, Sue Grafton,Sara Paretsky, Dorothy B. Hughes, and others. While many readers may find one or two stories not
Debra
I’ve read several collections of mystery fiction, but never one whose contributors (and protagonists) were all women, until now. Edited by Sara Paretsky, the collection first appeared in 1991. Although the book is touted as twenty-one stories of contemporary fiction, it was kind of strange to read pieces without cell phones, GPS systems, and other hi-tech gadgets. So, I’m not sure this collection could still be called contemporary. I guess it depends on your definition.

As with most collections,
Doug Willstead
Original mysteries who hoo!
Start the mower, break for a cold one and hey lets take
a rest in the hammock and read another tale full of
turns I cannot predict.
Rhonda
I picked up this book for 2 authors that I knew -- Paretsky and Grafton -- and enjoyed extensions of their PI characters -- Warshawski and Milhone. But along the way I found some new authors to read. There are 21 short stories in this anthology (8 of which can also be found on tape (or maybe CD too). Not all of the mysteries are solved by detectives, but all are solved by women. I especially enjoyed PI Kiernan O'Shaughnessy in "Death and Diamonds" by Susan Dunlap, journalist Jemima Shore In Gett ...more
Janet
21 Short Stories
Miguel Hollander
tons of short stories some better than others. good book if you like stop and go
Joel
I like mysteries about New Orleans and I like to read them in the summer months. My favorite in this genre is Julie Smith. So when I find a story, I read the book.
This is a collection of short stories; mysteries by female authors. There are some good ones here, but not as many as I'd hoped. Smith's story is among the best as is Dorothy Hughes, That Summer at Quichiquois.
Jan C
An anthology of mystery stories by female writers featuring female detectives. I don’t usually like short stories very much. But I liked most of these stories. I found myself thinking about at least five of them after I had read them. A lot of them have kind of an O. Henry taste about them. A touch of irony to them.
Barbara
It was okay. Had a couple of good stories, but mostly were pretty forgettable. Not anything I terribly much need to keep. Happily, not as traumatic as the first collection of women's mystery stories I read, but still kinda ennnhhhh.
Donna
A book I had on my bookshelf for years and never got around to read. Short mysteries from top women writers from that time. A little buffet of writing samples.
Susanne
This is a great little book of short stories written by a number of woman mystery writers including Sue Grafton and Carolyn Hart.
Eunira
Enjoyable anthology, where all 21 mysteries are solved by women
Juliana
A nice mystery short story collection, as I recall.
Gitte
Gitte marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Molly Sparber
Molly Sparber marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Mesembryanthemum
Mesembryanthemum marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Christine
Christine marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Patricia
Patricia marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Pepper
Pepper marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Sandy
Sandy marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Aaron
Aaron marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Peg
Peg marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2015
Connie
Connie marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
Andie1040
Andie1040 marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2015
  • The Mysterious West
  • Sisters in Crime 2 (Sisters in Crime, #2)
  • Christmas Stalkings
  • Where Echoes Live
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Katapult (Kat Colorado, #2)
  • Frosting on the Cake
  • The Color of Absence: 12 Stories About Loss and Hope
  • Chasing the King of Hearts
  • Bad Behavior
  • The Maltese Manuscript (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #5)
  • Guilty as Charged
  • The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot
  • Gonna Take a Homicidal Journey (Lauren Laurano, #5)
  • The Outspoken Princess and The Gentle Knight: A Treasury of Modern Fairy Tales
  • In Deep Waters 2: Cruising the Strip
Sara Paretsky is a modern American author of detective fiction. Paretsky was raised in Kansas, and graduated from the state university with a degree in political science. She did community service work on the south side of Chicago in 1966 and returned in 1968 to work there. She ultimately completed a Ph.D. in history at the University of Chicago, entitled The Breakdown of Moral Philosophy in New E ...more
More about Sara Paretsky...
Indemnity Only (V.I. Warshawski, #1) Blood Shot (V.I. Warshawski, #5) Body Work (V.I. Warshawski, #14) Hard Time (V.I. Warshawski, #9) Fire Sale (V.I. Warshawski, #12)