Start by marking “An American Family: The Buckleys” as Want to Read:
An American Family: The Buckleys

An American Family: The Buckleys

An extraordinary and sweeping memoir of one of the most revered families in America -- the Buckleys

The Buckley name is synonymous with a unique brand of conservatism -- marked by merciless reasoning, wit, good humor, and strong will. Self-made oil tycoon William F. Buckley, Sr., of Texas, and his Southern belle wife, Aloise Steiner Buckley, of New Orleans, raised a famil
Published May 13th 2008 by Threshold Editions

To ask other readers questions about An American Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An American Family

Debbie
Jul 21, 2008 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love biographies; I usually learn something about myself. This one is especially well-written and humorous.
Stephen
"An American Family: The Buckleys," is the story of a youthful and ambitious clan that grew great together with the young and ambitious country in which they lived.

We have before us a gaggle of children born with the 20th Century. Children reared by proper and upright parents who accepted nothing less than perfection from them. In exchange they gained lives on sprawling estates with names like "Great Elm," and "Kamschatka."

They pursued overseas educations and employed nannies who alternately t
Barbara
May 01, 2009 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2009
This book was more about name dropping and personal idealogy than a story of a family. I was deeply disappointed with this book. My criticism is not based on our differing ideologies. I went into this book with the full knowledge that our societal beliefs are polar. My interest was in learning what life influences made them who they are. I would have enjoyed hearing more about this family and less about the writer's personal agenda. R. Buckley does more pontificating than story telling. The book ...more
Suzanne
This is a witty, well-written "biography" of the Buckley family unique in its form. Reid Buckley, the youngest Buckley male (there were 10 kids) wrote this using an unconventional prose style and predictably challenging vocabulary. (Bring your dictionary) His footnotes on occasion, are over a half page in length but redefine nonfiction footnoting. Hardly the factual boring reference Reid's footnotes are humorous and always enlightening.
This is a loving tribute to a somewhat public family, who
The American Conservative
'Reid not only laments the toll mortality has taken on his family but the inexorable decline of the principles for which the family fought. He refers to “the conservative (now lost) cause” and writes, “Our parents were the product of a nation that has vanished, and we, their children, have manned the ramparts in defense of that ghost. From this standpoint, our existences have been futile, our works folly.” Offsetting the gloom somewhat are Reid’s closing lines: “We loved and did our best to hono ...more
Pat Lampe
I have always been interested in the Buckley family and so found this memoir by the youngest Buckley son very interesting. I am not sure that it would be of much interest if you didn't already like the family. Very accomplished family, very loving father and mother.
M.C.
Oct 15, 2015 M.C. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A book about the Buckleys and Reid Buckley's memories of growing up in a large, loving family. Enjoyed it more and more as I read. (Thanks to the makers of "The Best of Enemies" for keeping Reid Buckley's bit in the film, providing my first exposure to him.)
Phillip
Feb 07, 2009 Phillip rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another book probably more appreciated by the conservative crowd (like me). Wm F. Buckley was a hero of mine. His son blurbed my first novel. I like this book.
Heather
Jul 29, 2008 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kept trying to read this, and finally put it down for good. Didn't care for it.
Bob
Jun 12, 2008 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well written family account. It's nice to have money.
Patrick
Patrick rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2009
Charlie Renfroe
Charlie Renfroe rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it did not like it
May 15, 2010
John
John rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2013
Daniel
Daniel rated it it was ok
Jan 10, 2009
Renne L. Wade
Renne L. Wade rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2015
Stephen
Stephen rated it liked it
Apr 19, 2015
Andrew Thickett
Andrew Thickett rated it really liked it
May 29, 2013
Paula Matuskey
Paula Matuskey rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Patricia
Patricia rated it it was ok
Feb 18, 2012
Lynn Richter
Lynn Richter rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2016
Anni
Anni rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2009
Michael Sherwood
Michael Sherwood rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2013
Patrick Schultheis
Patrick Schultheis rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2012
Ken Graham
Ken Graham rated it liked it
May 07, 2014
Angela Ridley
Angela Ridley rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2014
Dad
Dad rated it really liked it
Nov 03, 2008
Anna
Anna rated it did not like it
Apr 11, 2014
William Lytle
William Lytle rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2014
Tom Graves
Tom Graves rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2014