Start by marking “Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?” as Want to Read:
Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?

Jesus: The Only Way to God: Must You Hear the Gospel to Be Saved?

4.15  ·  Rating Details  ·  302 Ratings  ·  41 Reviews
If the evangelical church at large was ever too confrontational in its evangelism, those days are gone. In our shrinking, pluralistic world, the belief that Jesus is the only way of salvation is increasingly called arrogant and even hateful. In the face of this criticism, many shrink back from affirming the global necessity of knowing and believing in Jesus. In "Jesus, the ...more
Published August 1st 2010 by Baker Books

To ask other readers questions about Jesus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jesus

Adam
Oct 07, 2012 Adam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think this book was just alright, but maybe better than I expected in some ways. This is my first book to read by Piper, though I've obviously heard a lot about him and have read excerpts of things he's written before. I really like the topic of the book, and I think it's intriguing and an important question that most Christians will/should consider at some point in their Christianity. Actually, the interesting thing is that even while I was reading it, a brand-new believer asked me the same q ...more
Greg Wilson
Aug 03, 2010 Greg Wilson rated it liked it
Must you hear the gospel to be saved? Piper answers a resounding yes. He actually breaks it down into three questions that he answers yes to. Is there an eternal hell of conscious torment to be rescued from? Is the death and resurrection of Christ essential for that rescue? Do people need to hear this good new and believe it in order to be rescued? Since the Bible answer to all these questions is yes, then the truly loving thing to do is to tell people the truth. You may be labeled arrogant, nar ...more
Linden
Sep 02, 2015 Linden rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Did not enjoy this book at all.

Did not find any of his arguments compelling or conclusive. However, two biggest issues revolve around everlasting punishment of the wicked and God winking.

Regarding everlasting punishment,

A. First, I really have no idea how this is germane to the issue at hand.
B. Second, this definitely should not be the initial reason one proposes as why you need the Gospel to be saved.
C. His arguments against the annihilist viewpoint is at best weak. Multiple of the points he
Pastoralmusings
Jun 22, 2010 Pastoralmusings rated it it was amazing
Through the years there have been those who have decided that perhaps people can come to God without Jesus. Some have declared that those who reject Jesus are annihilated. Others claim that the condemned eventually are brought to repentance after a period of punishment. Then others tell us that those who have never heard of Jesus can actually come to God by following the knowledge that they have from nature. A Hindu who is a good Hindu can come to God without consciously believing Jesus.
The ques
Steve Hemmeke
Aug 03, 2011 Steve Hemmeke rated it liked it
Piper wrote this book to demonstrate to the reader the necessity of missions to yet-unreached lands. If people believe that the “innocent” natives who have never heard the Gospel will not be condemned, they will not have a compelling motive for evangelizing them. Piper writes to convince us that conscious faith in the name of Jesus is required for salvation.

Overall this was a good book. Piper makes a convincing case that unreached people are condemned and without excuse. They need to hear about
Lillie
Piper argues that the Bible says that Jesus is the Way, the Truth, and the Life. Jesus is the only name by which we are saved. Piper explains that universalism (all roads lead to God) and annihilationism (unbelievers are simply destroyed and do not suffer eternal punishment in hell) are not Biblical. As much as we would like to believe that someone who hasn't heard of Jesus will be saved that belief is contrary to Scripture, which should create a sense of urgency for missions and for each of us ...more
Alexis Neal
Aug 14, 2012 Alexis Neal rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, religion
Baptist preacher and self-proclaimed Christian hedonist John Piper addresses the question of whether it is possible to be saved apart from Jesus. (Hint: His answer is No. Which, in an increasingly pluralistic society, is a deeply unpopular answer.)

In explaining his conclusion, Piper breaks the issue down into three separate-but-related questions:
1. Will anyone experience eternal, conscious torment under God's wrath?
2. Is the work of Jesus necessary for salvation?
3. Is conscious faith in Jesus
Frank Peters
Aug 09, 2013 Frank Peters rated it it was ok
John Piper is an outstanding man of God who says he is on a mission to correctly represent God’s word. Throughout this short book, he systematically examines all of the relevant biblical passages while discussing the in what sense the bible teaches that Jesus is the only way to heaven. His purpose was not only to eliminate any biblical base for a belief in universalism, but to extend his views in an attempt to dismantle a biblical case for any form of inclusivism. While attempting to do this, I ...more
Travis
Dec 19, 2013 Travis rated it really liked it
Is it necessary for a person to have actual, conscious faith in Jesus Christ in order for them to be reconciled to God? Do those who either refuse Jesus or who simply never hear of Jesus spend an actual eternity in hell under the wrath of Almighty God? In Jesus, the Only Way to God, John Piper addresses these questions in his inspiring, helpful, and typically thorough style.

Positive

Simply put, Piper nails this issue with the word of God. He is not arrogant, belittling of others, or sensational
Tung
Jul 09, 2012 Tung rated it really liked it
Modern society holds tolerance as one of the most central of all virtues. Because of this, many in American churches have softpedaled Christianity’s central message of Christ as the only means of salvation in order to tolerate and respect other faiths. In this book, John Piper examines the related questions: Does hell exist, and if so, what is it? Is Christ the only means of escaping hell? Is conscious faith in Christ the only way to salvation? Piper takes on universalism, inclusivism, and plura ...more
Kevin Bensema
Jul 09, 2012 Kevin Bensema rated it liked it
Shelves: theology
John Piper presents an argument that all people need to hear the Gospel to be saved. It follows from these propositions:
1) The entire human race has sinned and offended God.
2) The punishment for such sin is eternal.
3) Man cannot atone for this sin by his own means.
4) By grace through faith in Christ, man can be saved from eternal punishment.
5) Apart from the grace of Christ, there is no satisfaction for man's sin.
6) Man can come to the grace of Christ by hearing the Gospel.
7) Without being preac
Ben Zajdel
May 29, 2012 Ben Zajdel rated it liked it
For starters, this is a good book. Piper does a great job of stating his case, which is three fold: 1. Hell is a place of eternal, concious torment. 2. Humanity is saved by the work of Jesus Christ on the cross and through his resurrection. 3. A person must hear the gospel in order to be saved.

Piper presents his views clearly and succintly, and even includes some correspondence with John Stott, with whom he disagrees about issue number one.

I do, however, disagree with some of his conclusions, in
Sushant
May 03, 2012 Sushant rated it really liked it
Good book.

Piper does a thorough job of arguing from scripture that a conscious faith in Jesus is necessary for salvation. He does this by demonstrating that there is real eternal conscious torment for unbelievers, that the work of Jesus is the only basis to be saved from that torment, and how natural revelation is insufficient to save those who have never heard of Jesus.

This book is for Christians who struggle with questions regarding the existence of hell, the exclusivity of Jesus' claim as t
John Brackbill
This is a short helpful read. The kind of book that I will have handy to give to a Christian who is struggling with the implications of the necessity for all people to have conscious faith in Christ for salvation.

While dealing with this issue he raises the issue of annihilationism (I was pleasantly surprised that he took on John Stott explicitly regarding this)and universalism.

It is written in a very accessible way though like the other Piper books I have read he does not just give the answers
Coyle
Aug 19, 2013 Coyle rated it really liked it
As with most of Piper's books, this little work was theologically solid, expositionally clear, and a bit underwhelming in terms of its style (I maintain that Piper is the greatest living preacher, but that doesn't always transfer over into being a phenomenal writer).
This book is an excellent introduction to the question of whether pagans and other non-believers who seem to be sincerely seeking some sort of religious experience can be considered "believers." Piper gives the traditional and ortho
Wade
Dec 22, 2013 Wade rated it it was amazing
Shelves: apologetics
This is an excellent book about the necessity of sharing the Gospel. Piper uses a substantial amount of Scripture quotations and Scripture references, and more importantly, he is very faithful to use the Scripture references in their context (as opposed to just taking random verses out of context in an attempt to bolster his opinion) as he lays out what the Bible says about Jesus being the only way to get to God and have eternal life. He deals with some seriously tough topics (such as hell) very ...more
Ben
Feb 11, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
This little book provides a solid exegetical look at the reasons why Jesus is the only way. Although some may disagree on some points, the overall charge to the church is to proclaim and defend that Christ is "the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through" Jesus.
Brian
Jun 11, 2011 Brian rated it liked it
This book was intensely helpful for getting a full side of the debate between universalism, inclusivism and exclusivism. (Incidentally I needed the book only just after it had been published.)

Piper basically deals with three questions: Is hell real? Is Jesus the only way of salvation? (and) Can people be ignorant of their own salvation?

I naturally agree solidly with Piper on the first and lean on the third, but unfortunately, the book's rhetoric is lacking. Piper goes through the tried and true
Don Bryant
May 28, 2012 Don Bryant rated it it was amazing
Piper's quick answer is "Yes." So is mine. People are lost without hearing the message of Jesus. The New Testament world is one where explicit faith in Jesus is the way of salvation.

There are caveats, for sure. They need to be made. But what is amazing is the emerging of a whole industry of salvation based on the supposed well-intentioned pagan of Romans 1 who lives up to the light that is within him. My impression in the reading of the Bible that this cannot be a certain path of salvation. In f
Jeff Short
May 05, 2011 Jeff Short rated it it was amazing
Shelves: evangelism, missions
Excellent and timely book. Piper deals with the reality of Hell and the necessity of hearing and believing the Gospel in order to be saved. In our fuzzy, increasingly pluralistic society, few have the courage to unequivocally and publicly state that Jesus Christ is the only way to God. Ours is an age of gate-wideners and way-broadeners who want to reduce salvation to moralism and sincerity. If they are successful, then all roads lead to God. Not so according to God's Word. Jesus Christ is the (o ...more
Mark A Powell
Dec 30, 2013 Mark A Powell rated it really liked it
Is Jesus necessary for salvation, or can people attain heaven through other religions or even merely by God’s general revelation through creation? These are the questions Piper carefully addresses in this short book which, though brief, is powerful in its treatment of these issues—critical points of contention in this postmodern, pluralistic age. Piper is unflinching in his affirmation of the Biblical truth of Jesus—there is no other name by which we may be saved.
Britt
Dec 02, 2010 Britt rated it really liked it
I finished this one in a couple of days. It was either really good, or just realy applicable to my circumstances at the time (or both). I often hear these types of questions being asked (ex. what about the people that live in the jungle who have never heard...will they be saved? What about my grandmother who is Jewish? ) I, of course, never have the right answers, but this book gave me some guidance on my role to those who've never heard.
Brian Eshleman
Aug 29, 2013 Brian Eshleman rated it really liked it
I probably went through this book too quickly to get its full benefit. Even the level at which I read it showed Piper's reasoning to be sound and biblically based. Everyone needs to hear and be transformed by the Gospel of Jesus Christ in order to be saved. Anything else cannot be defended but by speculation, and such speculation leads to diminished motivation to lead our lives for Christ.
Abhilash Scariya
Sep 14, 2013 Abhilash Scariya rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. John Piper builds a case for why one must hear of the work of Jesus Christ in order to be saved; one cannot have the benefits of Jesus' atoning work and be saved without actually hearing of the name of Jesus Christ. He looks at the most common objections and answers them thoroughly. His scholarship and exegesis of Biblical passages is impeccable. I've read this book twice.
Todd Bryant
May 30, 2012 Todd Bryant rated it really liked it
This is a great treatise on the necessity of the Gospel. The only reason I gave 4 stars is that he makes some strange passing comments about faith in the OT that confused me. He later seemingly clarifies what he meant but it still remains that he could have worded it better.

Overall, a good read.
Christine
Jul 16, 2012 Christine is currently reading it
This is my second time reading through this book. It's worth going back to over and over again to refresh the urgency of sharing the Gospel. And most of all, like the first time I read it, it urges me to dig into God's Word and bask in the beautiful words and life of Jesus.
Ken Nichols
Jun 04, 2011 Ken Nichols rated it really liked it
Read this brief treatise in just a few hours. It is brief, but poignant in what Piper seeks to accomplish. Namely, the exclusivity of Christ for salvation, and the implication for missions.
Read this book, if you believe the Bible, you will be helped.
Brian Phillips
Dec 29, 2014 Brian Phillips rated it it was amazing
Shelves: t4g-2014
Piper methodically dispels salvation outside Christ. He also provides all the evidence you need that post Christ salvation is in His Name alone. That salvation by revelation through nature is dispelled in the era of Christ.
Kevin
Oct 07, 2015 Kevin rated it really liked it
Short and pointed at the sobering question at hand. Good read for any who need a reminder of the exclusivity of Christ.
Jerry
Apr 27, 2011 Jerry rated it it was amazing
Shelves: theology, eschatology
This is the best brief defense of the exclusivity of salvation in Jesus and the existence of eternal hell I am aware of. Piper gets a lot of mileage out of 120 small pages. A handy give away for the Rob Bell crowd.
  • Indescribable: Encountering the Glory of God in the Beauty of the Universe
  • The Truth of the Cross
  • What is the Mission of the Church?: Making sense of social justice, Shalom and the Great Commission
  • What's So Great about the Doctrines of Grace?
  • John Calvin: A Heart for Devotion, Doctrine & Doxology
  • In My Place Condemned He Stood: Celebrating the Glory of the Atonement
  • True Community: The Biblical Practice of Koinonia
  • Foundations of Grace, 1400 BC - AD 100 (A Long Line of Godly Men #1)
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • The Secret Place: Passionately Pursuing His Presence
  • A Passion for God: The Spiritual Journey of A. W. Tozer
  • Living for God's Glory: An Introduction to Calvinism
  • 10 People Every Christian Should Know
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“If we are cut loose from the anchor of God's Word, we will not be free. We will be slaves of personal passions and popular trends.” 9 likes
“Once upon a time, there was a safe, private place to take your controversial stand for Jesus. No more. If you are going to stand, you will be shot at—either figuratively or literally.” 6 likes