Start by marking “Charming Opal (Toot and Puddle Series)” as Want to Read:
Charming Opal (Toot and Puddle Series)

Charming Opal (Toot & Puddle )

When his cousin Opal loses a tooth during a visit, Puddle dresses as the Tooth Fairy so that Opal's hope of receiving a shiny quarter will not be disappointed.
Published November 16th 2008 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Charming Opal, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charming Opal

Opal is a cousin who comes to visit Puddle. When Opal loses her tooth while swimming, Toot and Puddle to into action to find the tooth at the bottom so that Opal can put it under her pillow for the tooth fairy. Then they worry that the tooth fairy won't be able to find them so they hatch a plan so that Opal won't be disappointed. This story is so great because every child who loses a tooth can relate to the fear that the tooth fairy won't come. Young children will enjoy what good friends her cou ...more
현순 최
Apr 12, 2014 현순 최 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, friendship
Opal visits her cousin, Puddle's house. Her friends and her played together at Woodcock Pocket. They eat delicious food together. One day, when Puddle was tucking Opal into bed, he finds that she has a loose tooth. Opal hopes the Tooth Fairy will bring her a shinly quarter. Puddle wears a special, fairy cloth so that she won't be disappointed. But Puddle fell asleep not pretending the Tooth Fairy. They find out Opal's tooth is already disappeared. children who are afraid of pull out their tooth ...more
Oct 20, 2016 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-lit
Feb 11, 2016 Angie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-kids
I can't get enough of these charming pigs, so pink and perfect, so sweet and nice. Opal is a great addition to the team. She is a sweet piglet and she has a loose tooth on her visit. What will happen? I won't spoil it.
The Brothers
Puddle's little cousin Opal comes for a visit and Woodcock Pocket. While there, Toot and Puddle do everything they can to make sure she has a good time. She ends up loosing a tooth, and the two pigs fret about whether the tooth fairy will show up.

Cute illustrations.
Oct 21, 2015 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book, kids
cute story about losing teeth/tooth fairy. not all elements are essential to the main story. hard to keep characters straight. pictures are cute. title and cover tell you nothing about what the story will be about.
Sep 15, 2010 Nielson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Charming indeed. In this Toot and Puddle series book, Puddle's cousin, Opal, comes to visit Woodcock Pocket. Not only is Opal excited to pick strawberries, go for walks, and smell flowers, but she is excited about her very first loose tooth! While at Pocket Pond, Opal looses her very first tooth...literally, but Toot dives to the bottom of the pond and spots Opal's lost tooth. But now that Opal has her tooth back, will the tooth fairy be able to find her in Woodcock Pocket??! This is an adorable ...more
Feb 11, 2015 Joe rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting, but not really my favorite. I know several kids who would love this take on the tooth fairy, though.
Jalm Riddle
May 29, 2015 Jalm Riddle rated it liked it
Shelves: early-prek
Fun Toot and Puddle book from a girl's perspective. Very fun read for when littles are loosing teeth.
Sep 30, 2016 Elaine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Great for children with their first loose teeth!
Stephanie Nawrocki
This book is an adorable story about a little pig named Opal who goes to visit her cousins Toot and Puddle. While on her visit, she looses a tooth. Opal and Toot attempt to stay awake in order to see the Tooth Fairy, but end up falling asleep. This is a great little story for little kids about losing their teeth and getting a visit from the Tooth Fairy. The illustrations are adorable, full of color, and go great with the story. Kids will love this book and love looking at the pictures. I would d ...more
Margaret Chind
Holly Hobbie is so much fun. We started with a Christmas one and now we have a delightful story about the tooth fairy. She is so talented and I cannot wait to keep adding to our collection. I have the biggest respect for authors that illustrate their own and Holly Hobbie is a favorite.

*Thanks to Little Brown for providing a copy for review.*

Originally posted:
Mar 14, 2009 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of kids of tooth losing age
Shelves: kid-s-books
This is a cute story of Opal, Puddle's cousin, visiting him and Toot and losing her first tooth. Toot and Puddle are concerned that the Tooth Fairy won't find Opal while she's on vacation and so try to stay up so that if she doesn't show, they can fill in. While the details are sketchy (no child will stop believing in the Tooth Fairy from this book), it all works out in the end.
Rosa Cline
Nov 18, 2014 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, summer, tooth-fairy
Toot and Puddle books are so very cute! And in this one they invite their little cousin to come and visit them. So very sweet! The way they take care of her and have fun! Then she looses her very first tooth and the way Toot and Puddle make sure the tooth fairy finds her because she's not at her home.. sweet, sweet...
Megan MacDonald
A fun story that all children can relate to! This silly book uses pigs as characters and shows Opal, the main charchter, dealing with a loose tooth and what happens when it finally falls out in Pocket Pond! This book is a fun, adventurous read that will encourage students to be brave about changes such as losing their teeth.
Kristine Hansen
Cousin Opal is coming to visit and the challenge is not just how to keep her entertained, but how to deal with her loose tooth. Some wonderful solutions are presented here, making this the perfect book for someone who is about to lose their first tooth and is worried about it.
Opal is the cutest little doll faced piglet that comes to visit Toot and loses her tooth in the process so he and Puddle make sure there is something from the tooth fairy, so Opal isn't disappointed. I loved her hat, I want one!
Dec 27, 2013 Danielle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so sweet. I love this series. It is long but might work in a lost tooth storytime with several short books.
Opal is delightful. We revisited this book after a losing a tooth. It's my favoite with Toot and Puddle although I love the original Toot and Puddle too.
Andrea Wilkinson
Nov 12, 2012 Andrea Wilkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
The Toot & Puddle book have charming illustrations brimming with expression. The story is also charming where the characters really care about one another.
Heather Richard
LOVE the watercolor illustrations, and the tooth fairy story is perfect for my kids...a little bit of magic and some reality...nice!!!!
Apr 16, 2008 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute little book about Charming Opal who goes to visit some family and loses a tooth. How will the toothfairy find her?
Jul 07, 2008 Krissy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was skeptical of a new character at first, but...not to worry. Opal is...charming. Who doesn't love a good tooth fairy story?
Heidi Petterson
So sweet and Opal is not only very charming but wonderfully positive, too! We love all of the Toot and Puddle books!
Sep 30, 2008 Lindsay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Again, 4 1/2 stars. Such a cute story about losing teeth! Opal is indeed charming, but so are Toot and Puddle.
Dec 30, 2010 Melanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Charming illustrations and a cute story about a little pig who loses (and then loses!) a tooth!
Great book about the tooth fairy! Love the artwork by Holly Hobbie!
Max and Meredith
i likd it because i am excited about losing a tooth
A charming entry in the Toot & Puddle series.
Super cute book!
  • The Beatitudes: From Slavery to Civil Rights
  • Here's a Little Poem: A Very First Book of Poetry
  • My Name Is Not Alexander
  • Sisters
  • Here Comes the Flower Girl! (The Very Fairy Princess, #3)
  • It's a Big World, Little Pig!
  • Oh, What A Busy Day!
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Catch the Cold
  • Oliver Finds His Way
  • The Storm Book
  • The Scarecrow's Hat
  • Hedgie Blasts Off!
Birthed with the name of Denise Holly Ulinskas in 1944, Holly Hobbie first sold her distinctive artwork of the little cat-loving girl who carries herself in a rag dress and giant bonnet. It wasn’t until she married Douglas Hobbie in 1964 when she named her originally nameless character after her.
When the first images of the rag-clothed little girl came to the public’s consciousness, the character
More about Holly Hobbie...

Toot & Puddle (1 - 10 of 20 books)
  • Toot & Puddle (Toot and Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: A Present for Toot
  • Toot & Puddle: You Are My Sunshine
  • Toot & Puddle: Puddle's ABC
  • I'll Be Home For Christmas (Toot & Puddle)
  • Toot & Puddle: Top of the World