Start by marking “Rediscovering Values: On Wall Street, Main Street, and Your Street” as Want to Read:
Rediscovering Values: On Wall Street, Main Street, and Your Street

Rediscovering Values: On Wall Street, Main Street, and Your Street

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  182 ratings  ·  28 reviews
When we start with the wrong question, no matter how good an answer we get, it won’t give us the results we want. Rather than joining the throngs who are asking, When will this economic crisis be over? Jim Wallis says the right question to ask is How will this crisis change us?

The worst thing we can do now, Wallis tells us, is to go back to normal. Normal is wha
Published January 5th 2010 by Howard Books (first published December 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Rediscovering Values, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rediscovering Values

Scott Rhee
Jim Wallis is helping to restore my faith in Christianity. Christian preacher, speaker, and CEO of Sojourners magazine, Wallis is both a Christian AND a liberal. His Sojourners magazine, of which he is also editor-in-chief, helps to highlight major social justice issues from a Christian perspective.

As someone who was beginning to feel that being a liberal Christian was a lonely (and even oxymoronic) existence, I am happily renewed in the knowledge that there are many more liberal Christians out
Jessica
NPR interviewed the author a few weeks ago and I loved the interview. I downloaded it and had my husband listen to it and we enjoyed it so much. I immediately reserved the book from the library (glad I didn't buy it). It was a disappointment. My recommendation is to skip the book and just listen to the interview. The same research and stories are told, minus all the self-congratulatory authorial comments. It wasn't particularly well written, although I think the idea is right on.
Lynn Ferina
I thought it was a great book. A lesson for the faith community to become involved and speak out about your values. Let the politicians know how you feel and that you want to know what their values are before you vote for them. If there was ever a book to read for this economic crisis, to better understand the countries need to rediscover their values to save our nation, it's this book. A great book to motivate you to action. Read it Now.
Matt
Excellent read on what is wrong with our country's state of business. Highly recommend it. One caveat: it's a macro level discussion with some micro useful suggestions. Not a practical use book. More high level.
Shirley Freeman
We read this for the all-church book read. Published 3-4 years ago, it felt slightly dated. Wallis critiques American culture and the American economic system and concludes we are too greedy, consumerist, short-sighted and focused on 'me' rather than the 'common good.' It's hard to argue with that assessment. He refers to our system as a three-legged stool that is out of balance. One leg is government, one is the market and the third is made up of churches, mosques, synagogues and all the volunt ...more
Michael
I like Jim Wallis, and I was saddened to see him show up on Glenn Beck's maniacal chalkboard a year or two ago. Wallis is a dedicated Evangelical Christian whose sole concern in this world seems to be helping poor people. Yes, he's become quite associated with the Democratic Party since 2004, but whatever. I tend to disagree with some of Rev. Wallis's conclusions since he tends to fall back on the tried and true liberal mantra of "more taxes/more spending/more government," but this book was diff ...more
Susan Hester
Genre: Christian but only cites scripture on occasion. This is an amazing book, pointing out how the rich have gotten richer (e.g., the CEOs of Fortune 400s own 50% of America's wealth; the CEO of WalMart makes a paltry $17.5 million a year, so earns in every 2 weeks what the average WalMart worker makes in his/her lifetime) and the poor are, well, unemployed with little hope. Wallis talks about how Wall Street has taken over: we've been hoodwinked into thinking that if we work hard, buy a home ...more
Shaun
The author was very liberal in his political persuasion, leaning way to the left. I found this very annoying, but he did have some good points to make. He talked about us becomming a more generous people, which I know we (I) can definitely improve. I gained some insight as he shared the miracle where Jesus fed the multitude of 5,000 with some meager fishes and bread loaves. He said that someone had to give up their fish and bread so Jesus had something to work with. I could see that if I had jus ...more
Russ
An interesting book with a solid message, though it got a little repetitive at times. I listened to the audio book, read by Wallis himself and while he is a brilliant man, he is not the most engaging narrator. I think this would perhaps be a good book to have and occasionally brush up on.
Richard Beaty
While I found this to be a good read, it was too simplistic for me. His arguments about what is wrong and caused the recession I've heard from many others. I wanted more on what changes people could make both personally and as a society. Short on that. Does a good job of showing the lack or morals/values by the leaders of many businesses and the problems of wage loss and income inequality at a level seen only prior to the great depression. Those who need to read this book to concentrate on getti ...more
Dean P.
This is the beginning of a conversation that may shape the next decade of American life. In the midst of the economic crisis and the sins of Wall Street, Wallis calls for us to reconsider what we value most and reorient our lives to reflect that. He also brings a prophetic tone to the forum, criticizing government and economic leaders for their handling of the Great Recession (Peter Morici's term).

It is a good book that speaks to a broad audience, and we would all do well to consider his "Twent
Meg
I agree with many of the other reviewers. The message is necessary - we have been a consumer culture for decades, and now we see the bad effects (recession, anyone?).

The writing style, however, is a bit simplistic and, at times, repetitive. However, Jim Wallis uses great examples (WalMart CEO makes BILLIONS of dollars every year) and anecdotes to paint of a picture of how we are called to live sustainably, simply, and holistically.

This is message worth spreading to business leaders and politic
David
Timely, refreshing, practical and prophetic, Wallis challenges us to learn from the Great Recession by rediscovering and embracing the values our faith teaches us, value lost in our "greed is good" culture. He makes the case for a healthy, balanced collaboration between public and private sectors (government and business), joined by the faith community, and challenges us as individuals to make sustainable choices and sew seeds of growth for a new economy.
Olivia Hill
I absolutely loved this book. Jim Wallis has all the answers and they lie in VALUES. Why is it so difficult for us to adopt and cling to what we know are good values? I have to agree with the author on most counts, ie that this great country, the United States of America, is starving for want of good values. Let us strive to bring back those values and instill in our children the desire to adopt and guard jealously those values we know to be eternal.
Zoe Franklin
Excellent and challenging book. Fell short of 5 stars because I felt that the ending and it's suggestions didn't live up to the potential of the earlier chapters. My takeaway from the book is the concept that a budget is a moral document. In my line of work in local government it is a timely reminder that the budgets I help to set and approve speak loudly of our commitment (or not) to the most vulnerable society.
Linda
I skimmed this book. I found a lot in it that was common sense but needed to be said and can be used as a national dialogue to restore a better feeling in the US. We need to get rid of the "greed is good" and "look out for #1" mentalities and focus on "we're in it together." The author, a religious leader, makes the point that the consumer society that we have is antithetical to Christianity.
Leroy Seat
Maybe it is because I have read so much Jim Wallis has written, but I didn't find much new or "exciting" in this book. But it is a good book with a lot of important content. It is also a timely book, as it deals directly with the economic problems in the U.S. now.

I highly recommend this book, especially to those who haven't read much by Jim Wallis.
Lauree
I am so proud of the United Methodist Church for recommending that all United Methodist women read this book. I share the values and frustrations expressed in this book and aspire to do more to help resolve these issues. I will be using www.rediscoveringvalues.org as a tool to decide what I can do,
Kim
This was okay. A lot was common sense to me, but I guess considering the shape our country is in, it isn't common sense to many others. The book was a little dry, but he brought up many good points. If you care to read about political issues with a Christian perspective, this would be suitable.
Beverly
I am not a business person, but I am touched and enlightened by the love and wisdom of Jim Wallis - business wisdom, spiritual wisdom and life wisdom. He is my new mentor. Oh, what a country we could be if he was every business person's mentor.
Darin Stewart
A bit disappointing, especially after God's Politics, but an important message just the same. A very quick read that would work nicely as a book group book (though I'm sure some of the more conservative ladies would be scandalized).
MariAn Nyce
Mr. Wallis is a respected 'prophet' so to speak, in our day. He does his homework in that he ot only cites issues, but also possible changes that would make a difference - coming out of his faith in God and the value of all persons.
Matthew
Jim Wallis is Jim Wallis. He's a good motivator, and I enjoy the action steps in the last chapter of the book. We all have a responsibility in creating a new economy based on PEOPLE not PROFIT, and he touches on that concept often.
Profprioleau
Feb 28, 2010 Profprioleau is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Supports my working with Health Care Reform and educational advocacy. I am hoping that my church uses it as a book study. Reading it in between my school reads
Edward Sullivan
The current economic crisis is an opportunity for us to re-evaluate our priorities and values.
Tim
This was a very interesting book and I look forward to reading more of his.
Tricia Em
Tricia Em marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2015
  • The Future of Faith
  • A People's History of Christianity
  • Red Letter Christians: A Christian's Guide to Faith and Politics, a Citizen's Guide to Faith and Politics
  • Everyday Justice: The Global Impact of Our Daily Choices
  • Made for Goodness: And Why This Makes All the Difference
  • The Sacredness of Questioning Everything
  • Credo
  • C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy
  • Blowing Smoke: Why the Right Keeps Serving Up Whack-Job Fantasies About the Plot to Euthanize Grandma, Outlaw Christmas, and Turn Junior Into a Raging Homosexual
  • Exiles: Living Missionally in a Post-Christian Culture
  • To Change the World: The Irony, Tragedy, and Possibility of Christianity in the Late Modern World
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • Christianity Rediscovered
  • The Age of the Spirit: How the Ghost of an Ancient Controversy Is Shaping the Church
Jim Wallis is president and CEO of Sojourners and editor in chief of Sojourners magazine. He is a bestselling author, public theologian, national preacher, social activist, and international commentator on ethics and public life.

Wallis has written ten books, including the New York Times bestsellers God’s Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn’t Get It and The Great Awakening, and

More about Jim Wallis...
God's Politics: Why the Right Gets It Wrong and the Left Doesn't Get It The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious Right America On God's Side: What Religion Forgets and Politics Hasn't Learned about Serving the Common Good The Soul of Politics: Beyond "Religious Right" and "Secular Left" The Call to Conversion: Why Faith Is Always Personal but Never Private