Start by marking “The Real Grey's Anatomy” as Want to Read:
The Real Grey's Anatomy

The Real Grey's Anatomy

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  150 ratings  ·  23 reviews
A behind-the-scenes look at the real lives of surgical residents, from the author of "The Medical Science of House, M.D. "
Do surgeons talk about their sex lives while cutting a heart open? How do surgeons respond to death? How do they react when asked to save the life of an abuser, criminal, or addict?
Since its debut, the ABC medical drama "Grey's Anatomy" has asked su
Published January 5th 2010 by Berkley Books

To ask other readers questions about The Real Grey's Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real Grey's Anatomy

Adam Broman
Aug 27, 2011 Adam Broman is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Does a decent job of explaining the lives of real residents, but it seems like the whole Greys link was thrown in just to sell books to fans of the show and the book just has pointless connections to the show.
Kristin
I thought this book was an interesting way to compare the events depicted on the TV show 'Grey's Anatomy' with real life, and I liked the author's approach of limiting the discussion to surgical residents, as they are the main characters on the TV show, with attendings and others on the hospital staff playing supporting roles as on TV.
Holtz's book was written fairly recently, so he had a number of seasons of the show to select specific cases from then find similar instances in the time he spent
Eliza
Stupid. Not nearly as interesting as the tv show. I shouldn't have read this- it ruins my image of surgical interns. They DON'T have sex during their shift?!? Lame!
Bonnie
Luckily, I bought this book off a discount table. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't have been worth it. I enjoyed the tie-ins to one of my favorite TV shows and I dogeared some pages and highlighted some passages (for future fanfic writing reference) but the book overall was very choppy. I liked the insight into how surgical residents really live and work, but the chapters were very disjointed and occasionally super short paragraphs of one or two sentences, completely out of the blue, would be thr ...more
Kate
"Find out what makes surgical residents tick ...

"Do surgeons talk about their sex lives while cutting open a heart?
How much time do surgical interns actually spend in the OR?
Do surgeons respond to death as objective doctors or as compassionate people?
How do they react when asked to save the life of an abuser, a criminal, or an addict?

"Since its debut, the ABC medicaldrama Grey's Anatomy has raised compelling questions like these. With an emphasis on the personal lives of the surgical interns, re
Samantha
The Real Grey's Anatomy was often interesting. I love getting a sense of the realities of professions that are dramatized and glamorized by Hollywood, and I particularly enjoyed the parts of the book in which the author completely debunked how some events are handled at the fictional Seattle Grace Hospital.

I do feel that some parts of the book were very disjointed. The author would start an anecdote and then completely change the subject. For example: "Another trauma case arrives soon after . .
Tina
This book is for anyone interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the lives of surgical interns. Grey's Anatomy fans will like the many references to the show that are peppered throughout the book. The book's comparison between the show and real-life will really raise your eyebrows. Find out how surgical interns and residents balance work with relationships during their hospital residency.

My Notes

Though I am not a dedicated Grey's watcher, this book had even me hooked with all of its facts (and
Nana
This book is what got my interest in Medical thrillers, crimes, and fiction. I love the show Grey's Anatomy and Andrew Holtz did a brilliant job on telling the real events with the fiction events. As much I appreciate our doctors and nurses that work so hard to save life's, this book tells the stories of what I think could be the real deal about what really goes on in the ER.

Andew Holtz also tells how the intern go through rigorous educational program and still try to have a personal life. I wo
Danielle
I was hoping to get some additional insight/perspective on life in the hospital for a surgeon, but I didn't learn anything new. The book focuses mostly on interns and compares what interns in episodes of the T.V. show "Grey's Anatomy" experience to what real surgery interns experience. Some of the chapters were repetitive and a little dry. I think it would be good for kids in high school that are interested in pursuing surgery.

The fun part about the reading the book was that we know one of the r
Melissa
This book took me almost a year to get through. I found many parts of it very dry. Though I have never watched Grey's Anatomy on TV, I interact on a daily basis with surgical interns/residents and treat their patients as part of my job. I was hoping this book would give me more insight on their role and struggles but it didn't tell me much more than I already knew.
Marty
this book compares scenes from the show to what really happens in similar real life situations by observation and interviews at an Oregon hospital.
K (Karen)
A good comparison between what we see on TV and what happens in real-life. I would have given it four stars except that the author reused some material throughout the book and a good edit would have prevented that from happening. It was confusing in those parts.
Amanda Birdwell
I enjoyed that this book kind of highlighted how incredibly stupid Grey's Anatomy is, while also indulging those of us with a shameful obsession with the show. It also gave a much clearer, less reverential picture of what surgical residents are like.
Megan Garrett
Pretty good book. I think it should have focused more on the lives of the residents rather than vague case descriptions of the patients. I can think of a lot of ways to improve and expand this book, but I still enjoyed it for what it was.
Alina hagan
My brain is drawing a blank on what to say in this review so no witty review filled with gramatical and spelling mistakes for this book. Just a five star rating because i really enjoyied this book.
Trisha DeBoer
I really liked this book. I love Grey's Anatomy. I love books that tell me how people live. I love learning about medicine. This book has all three. Very interesting.
Matthew Rushing
A good look at the struggle of real life interns; some of it is like "Grey's Anatomy" and a lot is even harder. A fascinating peak behind the curtain.
Angela
Dorky, but I did enjoy that all the real-life encounters took place at OHSU. I, however, already knew that Grey's Anatomy is far removed from reality.
Melissa
A tad dry but enlightened me on many of the liberties that Shonda Rimes and the other GA writers take for the show.
Valerie
The book was interesting, but it just felt like it could have been better.
Melanie Cole
So far a very good book brings alot of new thins to light.
Allison Park
abandoned
Caryn
Caryn is currently reading it
Feb 24, 2015
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2015
Kaily
Kaily marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Carla Apezzato
Carla Apezzato is currently reading it
Feb 17, 2015
Kalevale
Kalevale marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
  • White Coat: Becoming A Doctor At Harvard Medical School
  • What Patients Taught Me: A Medical Student's Journey
  • Med School Confidential: A Complete Guide to the Medical School Experience: By Students, for Students
  • The Intern Blues: The Timeless Classic About the Making of a Doctor
  • Letters to a Young Doctor (Art of Mentoring)
  • Becoming a Doctor: A Journey of Initiation in Medical School
  • Kill as Few Patients as Possible
  • Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
  • Coppola: A Pediatric Surgeon in Iraq
  • Lives in the Balance: Nurses' Stories from the ICU
Former CNN Medical Correspondent Andrew Holtz, MPH, is an independent journalist based in Portland, Oregon.

His third book, “House M.D. vs. Reality” was released in March 2011. “The Medical Science of House, M.D.” was published in October 2006. Both books compare the medicine and other health care matters depicted on the TV show House to the real world. In January 2010, Berkley/Penguin published “T
More about Andrew Holtz...
The Medical Science of House, M.D. House M.D. vs. Reality: Fact and Fiction in the Hit Television Series The Real Grey's Anatomy: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at thte Real Lives of Surgical Residents The Real Grey's Anatomy: A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Real Lives of Surgical Residents The Real Grey's Anatomy