Ultimate Teen Book Guide (Ultimate Book Guides)

Ultimate Teen Book Guide (Ultimate Book Guides)

4.16 of 5 stars 4.16  ·  rating details  ·  208 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Offers coverage that ranges from classics to newly released titles, graphic novels to cult fiction.
Published February 1st 2010 by A & C Black Publishers Ltd (first published December 3rd 2005)

Anna
After reading and rereading through my own collection of books and wearing the library thin of anything good I hadn't yet read I was fed up of bringing home a new book only to find I just couldn't get into it. When I found The Ultimate Teen Book Guide lying on a library table I didn't hesitate to check it out. You never realise how much enjoyment you can get out of flicking through a book of books! It was as though a whole new world had been unlocked and I began making lists of the books I wante...more
♥Robin ♥
This is a great source for finding books for teens and adults that read YA books. I like the format of this book as it has neat features such as the top ten genre lists, the "NEXT" box, the special features,featurettes and poll results. This is an awesome book about books comprised of 700 books in all genres from classics to contemporary novels. After reading this book, I have made lists of series,authors and books to add to my ever growing TBR mountain. This will be a book that I will consisten...more
Emily May
Loved it. Short but useful descriptions on every book and the recommendations at the side kept me in reading material for the past few years. Possibly the best book guide ever, at the very least the best one I've ever come across (and I've come across quite a few). Such a beautiful array of titles from all genres and to suit all ages, I loved scouring this book for hours to decide what I should read next. A teen must-have.
Caitlín (Ink Mage)
This obviously isn't a real pleasure read, so it's harder for me to rate than normal, but I didn't think it was that well done. I previously read Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood Moment and Interest which was much more organized. In TUTBG, books were listed alphabetically by title, so I had to skim the summary of each book (over 700) to find out if it was even remotely interesting to me.
Maybe alphabetical arrangement is good for more narrow-minded readers becaus...more
Erica
This book will be the downfall of me. It's one of the titles that's an amalgamation of, well, the ultimate teen books -- more than 700 titles in all, much of which I have not read and which I now feel I must.

Woe is me!

I began trying to tear through as many titles as possible, but then gave up and will just begin a list of titles I should read for when I'm looking for something.

I will use it to help with Reader's Advisories, although some of the recommended titles -- indeed a good half or more --...more
Catherine Austen
The title says a lot - reading this made me realize how much reading I have to do to become even slightly well-read in the teen fiction category. The enthusiasm of the reviewers was uplifting, and their descriptions give a good indication of whether you want to give each title a try. It's British, and heavy on British writers. A lot of the books in here are not your typical teen fiction (many were written for adults but enjoyed by teens or with teen protagonists), so it's a good guide for book-l...more
Trevor
Apr 30, 2008 Trevor rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: public librarians, YA lit professors and students, parents/family members of teens
Recommended to Trevor by: VOYA review
Okay -- I didn't read every word on every page, but I thumbed through the whole thing, reading some book reviews, sidebars, and other bits. One word: awesome. Just awesome. This is a real-world, truly useful bit of reader's advisory reference for all of us who serve, or may serve, teen readers in the library - or in our families! It's quick -- you won't be wasting time thumbing through tons of content to get to the good stuff. There are plenty of new teen lit works, some graphic novels, and book...more
Anne Harlan
This is a great resource. 700 books, each with a paragraph description and three or four other recommendations from both adults and teens. There are two others for younger age groups, but I haven't been able to find them.
Terry
This British book combines brief summary blurbs - fairly standard - with side-bars of "what to read next" if you like the main entry. This makes UTBG a better-than-average tool for librarians, teachers, and teen readers alike. The are several two-page entries on particular genres, listing the most salient volumes to read in that category, and the UK slant feels a bit different from what the typical America might have suggested.

I also enjoy that the blurbs come from librarians, teachers, teens, a...more
Rachel
This book was truly insightful. It had a range of different books to choose from, all relevant to young adults. Loved it!
Stephanie
Out all day from work yesterday (and now today) with some sort of bug, I was able to read through this entire book and can easily and highly recommend this for teens, parents, and teachers. There are a lot of fantastic books in this compilation, and many I look forward to reading. I think adults often neglect YA lit because of the negative stereotypes it receives, but there are so many good YA books that adults can enjoy. You can skip the fluff and read the quality - this book will help you do t...more
Kris
Recommended for MS and HS libraries. There are brief reviews of over 700 books, arranged by title, each with its own “Next?” suggestions. Each review is accompanied by an age recommendation (i.e. 12+, 14+, 16+) I did not agree with every one (14+ for Hugo Cabret?), but it is a good place to start. The reviews are written by students, librarians and authors, and many could be used as brief booktalks. The original edition was a British compilation, but most of the books in this edition will be fam...more
Jill
An ok reference book of "YA" books, which includes a lot of adult as well. It has reviews from librarians, teens, etc., with suggestions of what to read next for each. Interesting to browse, but I'm not loving it. These resources lose value as soon as they're published when they're unable to include new books. The books are listed in alpha order, which makes it only useful for browsing or knowing what books you may be interested in. I got as far as Ella Enchanted when the teen reviewer mentioned...more
Emily
It has pretty good reccomendations, and it's true to its description. It offers a wide range of books from light reading, serious books and they are classified well. I found quite a number of new books that interest me, but it's a pity it doesn't include some books that should have been in there. Too risqué perhaps. I personally would love to see lesser stereotype teenage fiction, and those polls are really pointless. Most of them consist of Harry Potter and again, other stereotype teenage ficti...more
Sonya Edwards
This is a great go to guide when you need inspiration for your next read. The 700 titles cover a wide range of genres and the brief reviews often offer more insight than the book jackets. My daughter found she had read many of the suggested books already, but with the expansive amount of suggestions and "what next" options that didn't always have descriptions, she discovered plenty other titles to look for. After renewing her copy from the library the maximum allowable times and requesting I do...more
bjneary
This 2nd updated book is a must for any high school or public library serving teens. With many newer titles added, teens and librarians and teachers will love the chapters, such as Pink Lit, Off the Rails, Cult Books, etc. and also the alphabetical order of each title includes a synopsis by students, teachers and famous authors like Catherine Fisher. I wish the US would get going and get this gem into their stores, etc. I got mine through Amazon UK. I am going to enjoy passing this one around!
Anna
I was lucky that I didn't have to purchase this required library school text because my predecessor at one of the school libraries I work at left it behind. Really the SJSU SLIS professors ought to just assign reading of booklists from magazines and journals in the library subscription databases and then require their students to subscribe for the year to Voice of Youth Advocates or School Library Journal and then spin off class discussions from topics touched on in the field's periodicals.
Melissa
It was a good resource but like all books of this type it is out of date so quickly that it's really only worth a higher rating in the year it is published. I also found the reviews a bit skimpy in terms of content and that they really just cover the same info you can read on the book jacket. I did really like the genre top ten in the first part of the book and the fact that teenagers were providing the reviews in some cases. Probably a better resource for teens than Librarians.
Erin
this book gave great insight as to what to read if you like young adult books. there were quite a few books that i've already read, many that i had already heard of and were already on my to-read shelf, and PLENTY that i added as i went along. total it recommends way more than the 700 books it says it will.. each book has a little blurb on the side indicating what to read next if you like the one you're learning about. all in all it was extremely informative.
Ashley
Soooooooo much repetition.
Ubalstecha
A great book with short synopsis of a wide variety of books for teens. So many, that as many others have said before, you realize how many you have left to read. While I question the inclusion of some of the titles (which are dated or not really teen books), this is still a book that school and public libraries should have as a reference to help young people find that next great book.

Good stuff.
Bethany
This was a really great guide to over 700 titles to promote to teens. The guide includes many titles published for adults, but that may be enjoyed by a teen audience. Reviews are written by authors, librarians, publishers and teens. This is a book to use as a professional resource or for teens to read themselves. A must have for any library serving teens and tweens.
Amulya
Sometimes I get stuck...there are so many books out there and how am I supposed to be able to choose? This guide has tons and tons of books. For each book they recommend, there is a author/teen/librarian review and a couple more similar books. There are top 10 lists, pages dedicated to a certain genre and I am pretty sure that there is something for everyone.
Weasel
A good guide (made a list of books to read :))
Maryam
This is an absoloutely FANTASIC GUIDE for teenagers, at east 200 of the books that I mark as to-read, following this review, will be from this book.
The reviews are written so well, and I enjoy looking through the guide; makes me want to read all the books...
If you are a librarian and don't have this book in your library...ORDER IT NOW.
Rakisha
Jun 24, 2008 Rakisha rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Librarians, Teachers, Parents, Teens Who Want to Explore new titles
A perfect book for high school teachers, parents, and young adult librarians to provide readers' advisory. With color, illustrations, reviews by teens, and lists by genre, The Ultimate Teen Book Guide is also an excellent book to let Teens do their own readers' advisory without looking like a nerd.
Erin
such a good book! Not your typical read, more of a book FULL of suggestions. The book contains over 700 books with descriptions and more suggested reading materials. From fiction to non-fiction and even graphic novels. SO MANY BOOKS TO READ, NEVER ENOUGH TIME!
Apoorva
This book shows a lot of good books. So I am going to take books from that books and continue to read over the summer. I would definitely tell anyone who can't find a good book to read and to refer to this book because it has a lot of good books and reviews.
Amelia
I really enjoyed this book. It gave me a lot of ideas of what to read. This book has a summary of it, the author, title, age suggestion, and what else to read if you liked that book. A most read when looking for some books!
Gabriel
Hit and miss (it probably deserves more like three and a half stars, but Goodreads won't allow me), but still a good read. I discovered lots of great books when I was in my mid-teens because of this book.
  • 500 Great Books for Teens
  • Book Crush: For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest
  • 1001 Books for Every Mood
  • Read This Next: 500 of the Best Books You'll Ever Read
  • The Complete Idiot's Guide to the Ultimate Reading List
  • Making the Match: The Right Book for the Right Reader at the Right Time, Grades 4-12
  • 501 Must-Read Books
  • A Family of Readers: The Book Lover's Guide to Children's and Young Adult Literature
  • 500 Great Books By Women
  • 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up
  • Book Smart: Your Essential Reading List for Becoming a Literary Genius in 365 Days
  • Bibliotherapy: The Girl's Guide to Books for Every Phase of Our Lives
  • From Cover to Cover: Evaluating and Reviewing Children's Books
  • The Readers' Advisory Guide To Genre Fiction
  • How to Get Your Child to Love Reading
  • Read, Remember, Recommend (A Reading Journal for Book Lovers)
  • The Oxford Guide to Library Research
  • The Book Lovers' Companion: What to Read Next
The Tower Menagerie: The Amazing 600-Year History of the Royal Collection of Wild and Ferocious Beasts Kept at the Tower of London The Ultimate First Book Guide The Ultimate Book Guide: Over 600 Great Books For 8 12s (Ultimate Book Guides) The Oxford Guide to Literary Britain & Ireland Coleridge (Poetic Lives)