Start by marking “For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing” as Want to Read:
For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing

For the Love of Letters: A 21st-Century Guide to the Art of Letter Writing

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  128 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews

Published April 24th 2007 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about For the Love of Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about For the Love of Letters

Lynda Felder
Apr 14, 2012 Lynda Felder rated it it was amazing
The art of general letter-writing in the present day is shrinking until the letter threatens to become a telegram, a telephone message, a post-card. — Emily Post, Etiquette, 1922 (page ix)

When is the last time you wrote a letter? Would you like to write someone, but you’re not sure what to say? Some letters are harder to write, such as apologies or condolences. For some charming guidance, I recommend For the Love of Letters, which is packed with funny stories, embarrassing letter-moments, and fa
Elizabeth
Jan 08, 2011 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Okay, I liked this book a little less than O'Shea's other book, Note to Self: On Keeping a Journal and Other Dangerous Pursuits. I found it to be quite readable, and I enjoyed reading it. Like Note to Self, this book comes across almost more like a memoir than an instruction manual--she could've reasonably subtitled it "My Life in Letters." But readable as it was, I think it did fall down a bit on the how-to part, mostly because I ended up being more fascinated by the sample letters than the adv ...more
Shawn McBride
May 23, 2014 Shawn McBride rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing my favorite part is when the author reads my man slut stalker letter I wrote her to a CIA/FBI convention. Not soon after I was extradited to Egypt where I now face trial as a crusader slut but it was worth I got more ideas since that last letter.
Sabrina Bullock
Oct 01, 2012 Sabrina Bullock rated it it was amazing
This is a superb book, which I cannot say enough about. It is the second book I've read by Samara O'Shea. I love her forthright honesty and the conversational tone of her books. She shares numerous examples of letters, historic as well as some of her own private letters. One of my favorite historic letters in the book is the last letter written by Marie Antoinette. This book is a wonderful guide with suggestions how to write any letter from the simple thank you note to the sultry love letter. It ...more
Jerry Landry
May 12, 2014 Jerry Landry rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013-reads
O’Shea’s book on letters was a nice tutorial for those who don’t have as much experience in writing letters and a nice refresher for those of us who do. In addition, hearing of O’Shea’s own personal experience with writing and receiving letters over the years as well as some historical examples was a nice touch. It added more of the personal touch to what is becoming a very personal mode of communication. I recommend this as a fun and rather quick read.
Carrie
Mar 29, 2015 Carrie rated it did not like it
I was disappointed in this book. Instead of being an actual guide to letter writing, this was a general book about letters the author has written. Some tips for letter writing included check your spelling and include details. Thanks.
Ari
Feb 22, 2015 Ari rated it liked it
I am in full agreement with Samara on the lost art of letter writing -- letters are surely a personal and emotional form of communication. People tend to hold onto and treasure handwritten letters in a way they do few other things.

There's a big danger in being too revealing of your own interests. Samara begins with the subject of erotic letters, and expresses her personal angers at Stephen Joyce for refusing to publish his grandfather's erotic letters. At times it's too wilted and revealing.

Tha
Angie
Mar 25, 2016 Angie rated it it was ok
Shelves: snail-mail
Synopsis: "The author takes readers step-by-step through the entire process of writing a letter, from how to start and what to say to knowing when e-mail is appropriate.

Have you ever wanted to write a thank-you note and suffered writer's block? Considered penning a passionate letter to your beloved, but had no idea where to begin? Needed to send a sympathy message, but couldn't find the right words? Fear not. Professional letter writer Samara O'Shea is here to spark your creativity and answer al
Nicoal
Jan 30, 2009 Nicoal rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, 2009
While meant to be a how-to book on writing letters, this was pretty engaging. Many examples of all sorts of letters from love to business are given, and historic examples are included just for fun.
Marti
Jul 18, 2012 Marti rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2007-top-10
Right up my alley, for sure.
Stephanie
Aug 11, 2009 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone that wants help with writing important letters
This was my introduction to Samara O'Shea's books. Her second book, Note to Self: On Keeping a Journal and Other Dangerous Pursuits, impressed me much, much more than this one. For the Love of Letters is like an updated Emily Post on letter writing. Which isn't a bad thing––the next time I have to write a cover letter, an apology letter, a love letter, or a break-up letter, I will not hesitate to come back to this book. Then I'll remember not to hesitate to play with words and turn casual, well- ...more
Susie
Aug 15, 2009 Susie rated it really liked it
Well, Samara O'Shea is just about as charming as can be. As an avid letter writer myself, it was nice to see typically formal letter-writing subjects (apologies, sympathy, The Goodbye Letter) tackled with finesse & fun! Because, yes, letter writing can be very fun! Sometimes I got detoured as a reader by the formality of the subjects and examples which occasionally seemed fussy to me, but overall it was a very enjoyable read & an inspiring one as well. Is there any reader who wouldn't lo ...more
Rory
Aug 22, 2008 Rory rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: letter lovers
Recommended to Rory by: Randy
I received this book as a gift from a friend who is a manager in a stationery store. As such, I get frequent letters from him, and we often talk of how I enjoy writing letters to friends.

Samara O'Shea is not, as one would expect, a prim and proper woman of older age informing the world on what etiquette to follow in writing letters because whippersnappers these days just don't know what a letter is. Rather, she is young, hip, and recognizes that most people are just out of practice. Whether you
Amber
Oct 26, 2007 Amber rated it it was amazing
Besides being full of humor, attitude, and wit, and this book makes you want to write an epic letter to everyone in your life. I love the way the book is organized, as it includes letters by historical figures at the end of each chapter. At the end of the chapter on how to write erotic letters, there is an unbelievably raunchy one by James Joyce to his wife. There is a letter from Abe Lincoln to a mother who was said to lose five sons in the war, in the chapter on sympathy letters. As you are in ...more
Jiwon Lee
Jul 10, 2014 Jiwon Lee rated it it was ok
Some of the letters contained within the book were interesting (most were not penned by the author). Overall, it seemed that the majority of the book was on letters written in the context of a romantic relationship, and some more variety would have made it a more engaging read.

It was also quite amusing how the author kept emphasizing the importance of grammar in several chapters, yet there were quite a number of obvious grammar mistakes throughout the book.
Linda
The topic caught my attention, since I like to write letters to penpals, but unfortunately the book is divided up into topics unrelated to my own personal letter writing. Others may find it more useful if they write lots of letters to the editors, complaint letters, etc.
Elise
Aug 24, 2008 Elise rated it really liked it
Samara O'Shea loves a good letter and in this book, she shares her expertise on how to write them. That part can be helpful if you're not used to writing letters, but what makes this book worth it are her wry anecdotes about life, and the collection of letters she includes. Some of her own, but more often than not, she includes little gems-- letters written by the greats in various situations. We have Joyce's bawdy love letter to his amour, Sarah Bernhardt's breakup letter to some poor man she l ...more
Melissa Schmidty -Schmidt
Read more like a 'how-to' than an homage to art of letters, often sounding more like a magazine article guide to crafty correspondance. In short, the book lacked soul--not much of a read for lovers of the written word but adequately explanatory for someone seeking guidance in accomplishing a task.
Vanessa
Aug 28, 2014 Vanessa rated it liked it
A book about letters and not a single chapter was devoted to the classic pen pal letter. I was a little disappointed about that since I am an avid pen pal-er.
JayeL
Nov 19, 2009 JayeL rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
I started this book, then abandoned it, but went back to it. I think it is organized badly. I would have put the termination and resignation and kiss-off type letters at the end,. Perhaps they wanted to end the book on a positive note? There are some good tips for cover letters and some great stories about letters Samara O'Shea has written. I think the author goes into her single status a bit too much, but otherwise the books is relatively entertaining, well written and useful. I think this woul ...more
Lisa Podschlne
Something fun to read....
Angelina
Feb 21, 2015 Angelina rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, how-tos
brilliant. engaging. thoughtful. inspiring. O'Shea's passion for letters is clear in every chapter as she shares the how-to's of effective, polished, and authentic letter writing. interested in writing love letters? notes of apology? thank you cards? even angry letters? Samara O'Shea has you covered, gracefully.
Colin
Aug 28, 2009 Colin rated it really liked it
A pleasant little book on the art of writing letters, this book would make a nice reference for those who feel the need to improve their epistolary talents, or who simply enjoy the genre of letters (as I do - mostly Cicero, Pliny, Seneca, etc.). Anyway, I'd recommend this one to anyone who enjoys correspondence as much as I do!
Stefanie
Mar 07, 2009 Stefanie rated it it was ok
Also part of my how to write letters binge. This one, not so very good. More of a how to write specific kinds of letters, especially love letters and break up letters, than anything else. Not even any interesting quotes.
Gail
Mar 21, 2011 Gail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kcls, non-fiction
It's sad to think that our society has come to the point that we need how-to books on letter-writing. Be that as it may, this book is wonderful. I gave copies of this as gifts, but I have not one for myself. *hint, hint*
Huma Rashid
Dec 15, 2011 Huma Rashid rated it really liked it
Warmly written, and a great guide to writing letters informed by the author's own experiences, shared without reservation (except those reservations regarding copyright, and propriety).
Taleisin
Nov 08, 2012 Taleisin rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, library
Ah the power of the letter; a truly dying art. This book celebrates the humble letter, showing the benefits both to the writer and the reader.
Sflisa
Oct 13, 2008 Sflisa rated it really liked it
I am inspired to write more letters! This has always been a good medium for me to express myself, but I rarely write letters by hand anymore.
lola
Jan 09, 2008 lola rated it liked it
Where this really shines is in breakup/apology notes. The rest of it is very well-worded common sense.
Nova Bennett
Feb 11, 2012 Nova Bennett rated it really liked it
Practical and charming. A rare combination.
  • Ambrose Bierce's Write It Right: The Celebrated Cynic's Language Peeves Deciphered, Appraised, and Annotated for 21st-Century Readers
  • The Quest of the Sacred Slipper
  • How to Tell a Story: The Secrets of Writing Captivating Tales
  • It Was the Best of Sentences, It Was the Worst of Sentences: A Writer's Guide to Crafting Killer Sentences
  • On Writing Romance: How to Craft a Novel That Sells
  • How to Write Killer Fiction
  • Man, Oh Man!  Writing M/M Fiction for Kinks & Cash
  • The Well Spoken Thesaurus: The Most Powerful Ways To Say Everyday Words And Phrases
  • Bertram Cope's Year
  • The Grouchy Grammarian: A How-Not-To Guide to the 47 Most Common Mistakes by Journalists, Broadcasters, and Others Who Should Know Better
  • A Book of Remarkable Criminals
  • The Art of War for Writers: Fiction Writing Strategies, Tactics, and Exercises
  • The 38 Most Common Fiction Writing Mistakes
  • Mademoiselle Fifi and Other Stories
  • Mentor: A Memoir
  • The Genius of Language: Fifteen Writers Reflect on Their Mother Tongue
  • The Artful Edit: On the Practice of Editing Yourself
  • Grammatically Correct
I've written two books paying homage to the written word and its healing powers. My third book offers inspiration and guidance to those suffering unrequited love. The book is a melting pot of personal stories, history, pop culture, literature and advice. I've written for Woman's Day, Country Living, Marie Claire, and The Huffington Post. I'm currently working toward a master's in social work with ...more
More about Samara O'Shea...

“English is curvaceous, complex, and beautiful. Fluent and fierce. She is the lover you will always adore but will never fully know because there’s too much to know. She is a true seductress—devious and overt, offering endless possibilities.” 1 likes