Start by marking “Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)” as Want to Read:
Nightwalkers (Cam Richter, #4)

Nightwalkers (Cam Richter #4)

Needing a break from his too-eventful detective career, Cam is in search of more peaceful pastures in the North Carolina countryside. He buys a seven hundred–acre antebellum plantation, but his new locale is not as quiet as he’d hoped. Soon Cam finds himself caught up in mischievous pranks around his land, which happens to be the site of a Civil War-era massacre. When the ...more
Published April 27th 2010 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 26th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Nightwalkers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Nightwalkers

Mark
I really like this series...not a "dog lover," but I understand the connections...Richter leaves the metropolitan area to purchase & refurbish an antebellum estate in rural NC...he becomes the target of a seemingly vengeful part of his LEO past (a ghost) as he enters a new chapter of his life...good mysterious "fun" out in the country!
Pamela
P. T. Deutermann is an exceedingly gifted and versatile writer; captivating readers with his imaginative, ultra realistic, adrenaline-pumping fiction - everything from battle-intense WWII novels, to historically-infused contemporary thrillers, to his North Carolina crime/suspense series featuring the affable, clever, never-back-down Cam Richter. “Nightwalkers,” fourth in the series, is one heck of a well-written tantalizing, hair-raising great read.

When Richter and his German shepherd cohorts F
William Bentrim
Jun 08, 2012 William Bentrim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nightwalkers by P.T. Deutermann
Keep in mind, I see myself writing recommendations rather than reviews. I can save you some time, I recommend the book. Deutermann and this book once again, kept me up late reading. Cam Richter who we met in Cat Dancers, Spider Mountain and Moon Pool is back and it appears, at least for the time being, that this book concludes the series. Cam, Frick and Frack and now Kitty face a Confederate Major, secret passages, snipers and ghosts.

I have all four books in this s
Tony Taylor
Aug 27, 2010 Tony Taylor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Of the few novels I read in a given year, I do enjoy those written by P.T. Deutermann, a fellow Naval Officer and friend. Pete has seldom missed a beat in writing a great thriller, but by that I mean a thriller that is realistic enough to be believable... there are seldom a car chase or wild stunts by superheros. Pete does his homework and knows his subject as well as the locale where he sets his story. Nightwalkers takes place near the NC - Virginia line just outside a small antebellum town not ...more
Joy
Sep 16, 2012 Joy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam Richter, needing a break from his too-eventful detective career, is in search of more peaceful pastures in the North Carolina countryside. He buys a seven hundred acre ante-bellum plantation, but it doesn't take long for him to discover that his new locale is not as quiet as he'd hoped.
Almost immediately, Cam finds himself caught up in mischievous pranks around his land, the site of a Civil War-era massacre. When the pranks turn hostile, however, he realizes he's been targeted by a killer wh
Richard
Jun 15, 2009 Richard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes mysteries, the South (US), Civil War history.
Recommended to Richard by: I read all of Deutermann's work.
Just as the Confederate States were relocating their documents from the capitol, the train they were on was held up and the crew and guards protecting it killed.

Fast forward 140 plus years and the 700 acre plantation in North Carolina where the massacre took place is being bought by our hero, Cam Richter. You may recall Cam from previous books; Moonpool, Cat Dancers and Spider Mountain, along with his German Shepherds and human friends at H & S Investigations. All the humans are former polic
Dlytle
May 09, 2014 Dlytle rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam is bored with the mundane PI life, so decides to purchase a 700 acre estate on the fringes of the Smoky Mountains. His nearest neighbors include a Vietnam Vet who thinks he is a civil war colonel and who stops in regularly at night to check on Cam, his new overseer, and a mother/daughter duo who dress in civil war style, and live in a home without electricity or modern conveniences. Someone with a grudge against Cam begins to play cat and mouse games, and tracks him to the new country estate ...more
Tom Tischler
Cam Richter decides to take a break from his detective
business and he buys a seven hundred acre plantation in
N.C. Almost immediately though he becomes the target of a
killer who holds him responsible for something Cam says
that he never did. Now Cam discovers that the history of
the plantation has come back to haunt him. He needs all of
his resources plus the help of his two German shepherd
companions just to stay alive. He is now dealing with a
very determined stalker and some very eccentric peopl
Faye Heath
May 02, 2010 Faye Heath rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've now read all four of the Cam Richter novels by P.T. Deutermann. They are good examples of the genre. Not great, but pretty darned good.

The action in these books takes place in one of my favorite areas...the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina. The protagonist has two German Shepherd dogs as friends and body guards and it is obvious that the author knows dogs. In one scene Cam and the dogs are in a task force meeting in a police department. The dogs are guarding the underside of the table...a
Connie
Aug 27, 2011 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the 4th in a series that I need to go back and read 1 - 3. I didn't know that when I started listening to it. It is about a retired cop who is buying a plantation in an old county and how someone wants him dead. He has 3 German Shepherds that are guard dogs. Frick, Frack and Kittie. The story was very good. I am sure I will enjoy all the books.

This was narrated by Dick Hill and was 12 hours and 13 minutes. I love Dick Hill as a narrator, he does a GREAT job.
Bradley
Feb 04, 2010 Bradley rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-bookshelf
Former destroyerman P.T. Deutermann began his writing career penning naval action thrillers. He's branched out into a series of mysteries set in the south with a recurring character, Cam Richter) from his "Cat Dancers," "Spider Mountain" and "Moonpool." This novel is set in an area of northern North Carolina, near the Virginia border where I have spent some time. It blends the current era with Civil War tales.
Debra
Somehow I had missed this Cam Richter novel. Whether on the job or private Cam lives an exciting life that almost is believable. And definitely riveting.

I was amused by the various names that he called his German shepherds. (Ms Bea was not so impressed when I tried them on her.)

Dick Hill narrated the audiobook. Some of his voices for minor characters, especially Tony, irritated me but over all this book was made for his voice.
Marsha
When former detective Cam Richter buys an old North Carolina plantation in a tight knit old town the local gentry seem to welcome him. But strange things begin to happen giving him pause in fact some of the things are downright crazy.

This southern Gothic tale is complete with antebellum tradition, Civil War secrets and contemporary family shenanigans.
Sue Radley
Jul 19, 2009 Sue Radley rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P. T. Deutermann is one of my favoriate authors. Nightwalkers was another great book with which he writes with purpose and a style uniquely Deutermann. I love Frick, Frack, and Kitty. He incorporates the three German Shepards into his books with such ease.

Connie
Jun 29, 2009 Connie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cam Richter becomes the victim of nasty pranks when he purchases a 700-acre Civil-war era farm in North Carolina. Ghostly figures, booby-traps, and night visitors made me wonder when this fellow ever got any sleep!
Xander
Mar 14, 2009 Xander rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marc Leepson
My first book by this author. The plot was not dependent on having read the previous book in the series.

Better-than-average detective fiction. It fizzled a little at the end, but it kept my interest throughout.
Dan Smith
Apr 19, 2015 Dan Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first of the series I have read, unfortunatley it was the last written. But an outstanding story. Much like Craig Johnsons Longmire series. Very entertaining.

Will start with the first of the series
Kitty
Jun 08, 2009 Kitty rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the setting and the characters. Modern-day people who still dress in antebellum wear. Who's eccentric? Plenty of murders to go around. Will we catch the culprits before our hero succumbs? Really fun, every novel needs a Vietnam vet who thinks he's a Confederate Major.
Karissa J Murrell Myers
Suspenseful and fun! Loved the Civil War versions of Miss Haversham and the use of German shepherds (yay fuzzies!). Although, I hope that cops don't really go around shooting things willy-nilly all of the time in the dark merely because something might've moved in the darkness.
Gail/Ladyvolz Bowman
I love his Cal Richter series, even if they do stretch the imagination sometimes.... This one has Cal and the dogs buying a new home, an old southern plantation on 700 acres. Of course trouble follows.
Mom
May 09, 2012 Mom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A potboiler type of a mostly predictable mystery, where a detective moves to a plantation in the South and becomes embroiled in a mystery left over from the Civil War. Annoyingly pretty and superhumanly capable characters fall in love.... as usual.
Susan Ward
May 16, 2012 Susan Ward rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love P.T. Deutermann. His books are full of action, suspence, & intrigue!
Al
Jan 05, 2010 Al rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Why no chapters? Boring. Slowly moving.
Richard Jacoby
Jul 11, 2011 Richard Jacoby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fourth book in the Cam Richter series. About as good as book 2, "Spider Mountain," and far better than book 3, "The Moon Pool." Read the best one first: "The Cat Dancers."
Pedro
Jan 18, 2015 Pedro rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this series.
JoDee
Jun 12, 2015 JoDee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, not great.
Brenda Burnett
read the others in the Cam Richter series quite a while ago, and thought they were better than this one. Am not American, so the history and feelings in the "South" are not understood well by me.
Rob Roy
Jun 18, 2011 Rob Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: action-adventure
Lots of twists and mysteries packed into one book. Great characters, not all of which are human. Set reality aside, and just enjoy a reading romp.
Donna
Nov 18, 2009 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.T. Deutermann has written another page-turner in the Cam Richter series.
Fred
4th in the Cam Richter main character books.
  • Outer Perimeter
  • Dead White
  • Turncoat
  • Atlantic Fury
  • Ghost Dance
  • The Lure
  • Hunter's Moon
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • Take the Bait (Frank Bennett Adirondack Mystery #1)
  • The Death Merchant (Diagnosis Murder, #2)
  • Tears of the Jaguar
  • Alive! (Valentino, #3)
  • The Book of Illumination
  • The Mysterious Death of Mr. Darcy (Pride and Prejudice Murder Mystery #3)
  • The Thieves Of Legend (Michael St. Pierre, #4)
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2006
  • A Spider on the Stairs (Phillip Bethancourt and Jack Gibbons Mysteries, #4)
  • The Promised War (Sam Deker, #1)
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of eighteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association; his other World War II novels are Ghosts of Bungo ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...

Cam Richter (4 books)
  • The Cat Dancers (Cam Richter, #1)
  • Spider Mountain (Cam Richter, #2)
  • The Moonpool (Cam Richter, #3)