Start by marking “Presentation Zen Design: Simple Design Principles and Techniques to Enhance Your Presentations” as Want to Read:

4.17  ·  Rating Details ·  1,278 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
In his internationally acclaimed, best-selling book "Presentation Zen: Simple Ideas on Presentation Design and Delivery, " presentation master Garr Reynolds gave readers the framework for planning, putting together, and delivering successful presentations. Now, he takes us further into the design realm and shows how we can apply time-honored design principles to presentati ...more
Published December 18th 2009 by New Riders Publishing (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Presentation Zen Design, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Presentation Zen Design

Gretchen
Mar 06, 2010 Gretchen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2010, 5-stars
This is the book I wanted Presentation Zen to be. It covers much of the same ground as the original, emphasizing the need to delivery presentations that are grounded, engaging and compelling rather than Death by Powerpoint. But as the name implies, this book is more focused on the design of the slides rather than the Zen story telling.

As someone who spends a lot of time creating and delivering presentations, I appreciated the abundance of tips and tricks - from websites for creating color schem
Tricia Friedman
Nov 27, 2015 Tricia Friedman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute MUST read for anyone in education. Rich with wisdom, art, and fantastic guidance. Design geeks rejoice--this is a beautiful read.
Margaux
Dec 18, 2013 Margaux rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gslis, non-fiction
Never underestimate the power of a terrible PowerPoint in ruining a good presentation. Before one of my professors retired this year, she gave away some of the books she didn't need anymore, and I got this one. (Yay for free stuff!) Meanwhile in another class, I was docked pints on a group project because of a bad PowerPoint. Apparently you couldn't read it from the back of the classroom.

So when it came time for finals, I finally cracked open this bad boy and spent hours on a presentation. The
Efi
Dec 10, 2010 Efi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me this is more of a reference book. I read the entire book on presentation zen and did a big picture scanning through this one.
Jun
May 11, 2016 Jun rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

goodreads.com rating: 4.17
my veridct: main dish is excellent, but the hors d'oeuvre and the dessert are terrible

pro: solid core messages, good examples
con: verbose and repetitive introductions, shallow show-off about the author's knowledge about Eastern culture

This book is almost refuting its own arguments in its design and contents. In presentations, less is more. The book could have been one third of its volume and still perfect. The book starts with a v
Garrett Haynes
Feb 12, 2017 Garrett Haynes rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's good for what it is. I had to read it for school but it is something I never would have read on my own. Lots of great ideas, tips, and examples on how to improve your slideware presentations, but I felt that it dragged on a little with too much minutiae for me, which is a little ironic since the book espouses Zen principles about trimming down the unnecessary and superfluous. If you have to (or maybe want to?) read about improving your presentations then this is a good book to pick up.
Krishna Kumar
May 03, 2015 Krishna Kumar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reynolds wants to write about good PowerPoint presentation, and he does a very good job at it. He explains the poor ways in which business people (including Bill Gates) currently use PowerPoint, and how much better it can be, citing the example of Steve Jobs, among others. He shows us some very good examples of PowerPoint presentations that he and other people (independently) have prepared. The book also contains examples of poor slides and how they can be improved. Reynolds draws upon the knowl ...more
Steve Dineen
Feb 21, 2011 Steve Dineen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Along with the other Zen Presentation design book i read - A really good and quick guide to improving the stickiness of your presentations - whether this is at an exhibition or online ones. I created my first virtual school video whilst reading this, Steve Jobs presentation book (great for getting the message succinct) and online videos on using Camtasi. My first outputs was the virtual school video on our youtube channel - www.youtube.com/Fusionuniversal.

I would say all my presentations are imp
Bianca Woods
A good read, but a bit repetitive of themes from the first book. There is quite a bit of new material in this book which makes it worth picking up even if you already have Presentation Zen, but don't be surprised to find some major overlap of content as well. This was likely necessary to allow this book to exist on it's own, but it did on occasion make it a bit repetitive to someone who had read the first book.

So, I've given it a four out of five since I'm quite familiar with Presentation Zen, b
Agus Jakarta
Sep 27, 2011 Agus Jakarta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book by Garr. Just like the first book, in this second book, Garr tried to give us more clear approach on how to implement zen principles on presentation design. If the first book talks more about concept, the second one is more technical but still there are some concepts here and there. I recommend this book to anyone who would like to learn more about presentation and improve their presentation skill.
Megan
Sep 01, 2010 Megan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Megan by: Shirley
Jason Nomura
Dec 30, 2009 Jason Nomura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: presentation
Excellent book reviewing the design principles for presentations. Sort of like a design book for non-designers. I know there is a book that is similarly titled and covers that, but it is not written with presentations in mind nor with Garr's well created prose, experience in presentations, or his wonderful examples.
Todd Webb
Jan 23, 2013 Todd Webb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every business person should have at least a basic understanding of the concepts in this book. If you are a design enthusiast like me, Presentation Zen Design doesn't break new ground; however, it does have a lot of great examples showing how to apply concepts of good design to your presentations. I definitely recommend it to anyone who is "design challenged".
Katherine
Jun 28, 2012 Katherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I think that anyone who is creating decks and training presentations should read this book. It gave me such helpful advice, from how to make my slides look good to really thinking about who the participants were there for - the PowerPoint or my expertise? I loved it and have used it often as I do my work!
Kate Irwin-smiler
This is a great companion to Presentation Zen. This provided some detail on design theories & principles alluded to in the earlier book. (I wouldn't have minded both volumes combined into a single book.) I thought the comparison to traditional Japanese art forms most effective when more detail is provided rather than a simple statement that there are lots of rules & structures to learn.
Joshua Smith
Good compliment to Reynolds's other book. I wish it was a tighter and to the point.

My favorite line in the book was a quote from Paul Desmond; the idea that there are things that can be learned but not taught. I had never considered that possibility before reading that quote.

The second best thing about the book was the section on color theory. I had no understanding of it before.
Robert Chapman
I have read this book off and on for a while now, seemingly whenever I have to make a slide deck, and finally finished it off today. The book offers a lot of good advice on how to build presentations which will effectively convey the desired message to the audience. Certainly a good reference for anyone who routinely has to create slide decks and deliver presentations.
Brian Regan
Feb 12, 2010 Brian Regan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book!! Seriously, it will change the way you approach presentations and even enhance your awareness of how things are presented to us on a daily basis, through advertising, publications and television. GREAT book.
Tony
Mar 22, 2010 Tony rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Readable hints on how to make better use of presentation software. He cites Tufte, but remains very positive. Sees Steve Jobs as the master presenter. Believes in using online stock photo sources. This and his previous books make for good, quick reads and can then be reduced to a paqge of notes.
Penny
Nov 01, 2009 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is worth a quick cover-to-cover read, but then keep it next to your computer so it's handy the next time you have to prepare a presentation. The text is helpful, but the abundance of "do this, not that" slide examples is what makes this a valuable reference book.
Juho Makkonen
Aug 15, 2011 Juho Makkonen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An excellent sequel to the Presentation Zen. Goes more deeply to the design of a good slide deck. Especially essential for those of us who are not professional designers but still would like to create professional-looking presentation designs.
David
Dec 09, 2012 David rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have to use a slide show to deliver a presentation, might as well make it as compelling as possible, i.e., lose the digital teleprompter and engage your audience using the slides to accentuate and reinforce the message.
Vladimir
Feb 27, 2016 Vladimir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good coupled to Duarte's Slideology
John Stepper
Feb 12, 2012 John Stepper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While not as innovative as the original Presentation Zen, more of the same is a good thing in this case. New examples further drill home the point that there is a better way.
Ian Griffin
Jun 24, 2013 Ian Griffin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Awesome clarity of design from the Japan-dwelling hipster.
Rick Yvanovich
Oct 06, 2012 Rick Yvanovich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely brilliant - a must read
Leon M
Jan 23, 2010 Leon M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skills
In his book "Presentation Zen Design", Garr Reynolds deals with how to design slides that fully involve your audience.

His tips:
- big images
- simple slides
- noise-to-signal ratio
Mrs.Melaugh Melaugh
Garr Reynolds is a presentation genius! His book is crammed full of presentation design ideas that are made so understandable that even laymen will find tons of ideas they can use themselves.
Rissa
Jun 29, 2012 Rissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reminders about what's really important to communicate effectively to your audience.
  • Slide: ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations
  • Beyond Bullet Points: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire: Using Microsoft PowerPoint to Create Presentations That Inform, Motivate, and Inspire
  • Visual Meetings: How Graphics, Sticky Notes & Idea Mapping Can Transform Group Productivity
  • Unfolding the Napkin: The Hands-On Method for Solving Complex Problems with Simple Pictures
  • The Cognitive Style of PowerPoint: Pitching Out Corrupts Within
  • Before and After: How to Design Cool Stuff
  • The Non-Designer's Presentation Book: Principles for Effective Presentation Design
  • Presenting to Win: The Art of Telling Your Story
  • Now You See It: Simple Visualization Techniques for Quantitative Analysis
  • The Art of Explanation - Making Your Ideas, Products and Services Easier to Understand
  • Confessions of a Public Speaker
  • The Presentation Secrets of Steve Jobs
  • 100 Things Every Presenter Needs to Know About People
  • Gamestorming: A Playbook for Innovators, Rule-breakers, and Changemakers
  • The Visual Miscellaneum: A Colorful Guide to the World's Most Consequential Trivia
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics: The Dos and Don'ts of Presenting Data, Facts, and Figures
  • Robin Williams Design Workshop
  • Beautiful Visualization: Looking at Data through the Eyes of Experts

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »

“Getting the little things right is what sets professionals apart from amateurs.” 1 likes
“Humans are completely incapable of reading and comprehending text on a screen and listening to a speaker at the same time. Therefore, lots of text (almost any text!), and long, complete sentences are bad, Bad, BAD.” 0 likes