Start by marking “The Mournful Teddy” as Want to Read:
The Mournful Teddy

The Mournful Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery #1)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  293 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Retired San Francisco cop Brad Lyon is settling into a quieter life with his wife Ashleigh in Virginia's mountain country, where they collect and create teddy bears. But even here, stuff happens... The day is here?and Brad Lyon is helping his wife put the finishing touches on her best bears, just in time for the Shenandoah Valley Teddy Bear Extravaganza. The event will dra ...more
Published August 1st 2006 by Berkley Prime Crime (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Mournful Teddy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mournful Teddy

Lisa Kay
Steiff Black Teddy Bear, a Titanic commemorative keepsake, sold for $136,000/91,750 pounds in 2000 at Christie’s.
description

They say write what you know and that certainly holds true here for John J. Lamb. Loved this first in the Bear Collector’s Mystery series! Mr. Lamb, a retired San Francisco policeman, writes about a retired SF cop, Brad Lyon. (Lamb to Lyon? Cute.)

Instead of another dead groundhog, Brad’s Old English Sheepdog, Kitchener, finds a dead body down by the river. Knowing it is a homicide –
Mendy
John Lamb writes a very well developed story line involving interesting and smart characters. This is not a traditional cozy in the sense that the main character, Brad, is a retired Inspector from the San Franisco Police Department. In fact, Mr. Lamb pokes a little fun at a cozy mystery his wife is reading that is solved by a woman with a talking dog. :o)

The world of the Teddy Bear Collector is introduced in a way that is easy to understand and Mr. Lamb doesn't beat you over the head with it. So
Barbara ★
This little Virginia town at the foot of the Shenandoah Valley is a regular hot bed of illicit activity. Let's see, the sheriff couldn't be bothered to investigate a suspicious death, even though retired San Francisco cop, Brad Lyon flat out told him and showed him the proof. The local pastor is selling stolen merchandise at his monthly flea markets right across the street from the sheriff's office. If any of the cops question the sheriff's orders, they are immediately fired for insubordination. ...more
Jessica
Great characters, murder, suspense and teddy bear intrigue. This books is much more than you expect. I regret missing this author's event at my local independent bookstore (mysterious galaxy). I will be reading more from this author!
Heather L
A good mystery, and I loved the author's sense of humor. I would actually give this 3-1/2 stars were it possible.
Mark Baker
Brad and his wife Ashleigh are enjoying his retirement by indulging their hobby of teddy bear collecting and creating. But then Brad finds a body on their property and a local show featuring a rare bear is robbed. Will this ex-cop be able to figure out what is happening? I loved this debut. The characters were great, there was some good humor, and the mystery was well plotted. The only issue was that the first chapter was a data dump.

Read my full review at Carstairs Considers.
Donald Scott
Having never had a teddy bear as a kid (I finally broke down and got one when I was about thirty, naming it Sebastian after the main character in Brideshead Revisited; go figure), I thought a mystery series set around the making of artisan teddy bears and their collectors sounded both original and fascinating, but The Mournful Teddy (first in the "Bear Collectors" series) was just too slow-paced and not quite engaging enough, character-wise, to hold my interest. Brad Lyon, recently relocating wi ...more
Sue Ross
The mournful teddy was recommended to me by my friend Paige. It is a great cozy that is written by a man in a man’s voice and his ideas. It was easy to read and once I started it, I couldn’t put it down. Unfortunately life got in the way, but now I’m happy to say I finished it and bought the rest of the series of 5 books. So if you are looking for an easy read written from a man’s point of view, this is the one for you.
Trine
The sinking of the Titanic was one of the greatest disasters of the 20th century, and one of the many ways to commemorate this tragic event was the creation of a teddy bear, called the Steiff Mourning Bear which in this new mystery series is at the center of the mystery.

Whether or not one agrees with one of the main characters' thoughts on the history of the actual Mourning Bear at the end of the book, this is still a great start to a new series on the craft topic of collecting and creating ted
Holly Davis
After a while of it being in my to be read pile for months I finally picked it up and found myself not able to put it down. So then I finished it in record time. So I met Brad Lyon, a retired homicide detective from the SFPD. He finds that the floating body of a man in the river that flows by his house. Immediately knows its foul play due to his years looking at dead bodies. The sheriff dismisses the whole thing then threatens him.
He then feels like he must investigate! So the investigation is
Janine Fenton
A really great mystery story seat in the world of teddybear collecting in the blue ridge mountains. As a mystery loving teddy lover these could not be any more up my street.
Liora
The first novel of a fun cozy mystery series set in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia. The main character is retired on disability from the San Francisco Police Department and now helps his wife with her burgeoning business of designing teddy bears. He becomes involved in a murder investigation when he discovers the body on his property, but the town sheriff is obviously involved in a cover-up and the town seems to seethe with petty corruption. The mystery was well-plotted, and I really enjoyed ...more
Ann aka Iftcan
Book 1 in the Bear Collector's Mystery series. A charming series new to me. Of course--it IS populated by teddy bears, so what's not to love, right?

In this case, the title teddy is worth 170,000 or so dollars and is a very rare Steiff bear. One that was made to commemmorate the sinking of the Titanic (hence the name "The Mourning Bear"). Now he has been stolen and the last person known to have him is dead. Who killed the courier and why? Where is the teddy and does he have anything to do with t
Sfdreams
This book is the first book in a new (to me) series. The protagonist, Brad Lyon, is a retired San Francisco homicide detective and his wife, who move to Virginia and make artistic teddy bears for a living.

Brad is very sassy (like me) and there were several times that I laughed out loud reading this book.

Very enjoyable, even if you are not into teddy bears or teddy bear collecting.
Angela
Surprisingly good. A retired policeman finds a body next to his house and is determined to bring the murderer to justice. Only problem is that there's corruption everywhere. The joy of this book is the likeability of the 2 main characters, you really want them to win. The reader also learns a lot about teddy bears, the mournful teddy does indeed exist, I googled it.

A nice, fun read.
Hongyi Guo
This book describes how a detective solve a mystery of a murder of a man found in a river. John J. Lamb's way of writing is truly captivating and it makes people not wanting to stop reading it. This book should be recommended to people who love mysteries that are not too violent.
Jeff
A very gripping and entertaining mystery about a retired homicide detective and his teddy bear making wife who investigate a murder centered around the theft of a valuable antique teddy bear which was made to commemorate those who died in the sinking of the Titanic.
Kelly24
This was a nice change to the usual cozy plot. Although there were parts that came across as preachy, the humour more than made up for it. I will be hunting down the rest of the books in this series. Can't wait to read them!
Elizabeth
A nice fluffy read. Who cannot like a detective who loves teddy bears? Being the author is a former detective, he can get a little bogged down in details. I enjoyed the relationship of the detective and his wife.
Susan
I found this to be a cut above the usual "cozy mystery." There is lots of police procedure in it and the one protagonist is a retired cop who really knows how to investigate
Nancy
This mystery murder involving the Mournful Teddy was cute. I had read the others and wanted to see what Mr. Lamb dreamed up next in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.
Bobbie
A light, cute, and entertaining mystery from one who likes stuffed animals. This is a series to read when you just want to read something light and enjoyable.
CD
A straight up good detective/mystery story. Suitable for all who like murder mystery stories.

I am looking forward to the second book in the series.
Mary Lechner
Feb 01, 2008 Mary Lechner rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sharon, Pat
Teddy bears, the Titantic, and murder, what more could you ask for? An easy, enjoyable read. I recommend it. I can hardly wait to read more of this series.
Teresa
Read this first book in the series after the third book in the series. It didn't really matter. I still enjoy this series. Will move on to book 4.
Maggie Bryan
A really decent mystery told with a light humorous touch. I can really see this series of books being adapted for a cable television show.
Clare O'Beara
Cosy mystery about valuable teddy bears and their collectors. This bear was issued to mark the Titanic sinking. Set in America.
Kelly
I loved Brad and Ashleigh and how they interacted with the other characters in the book. I will continue with this series.
Stacy Bender
If you like a good cozy mystery, teddy bears and bad cop humor Lamb's books are a good read
Dawn
Started out strong, but fizzled quickly for me.
  • Wicked Weaves (A Renaissance Faire Mystery, #1)
  • Pretty Poison (A Peggy Lee Garden Mystery, #1)
  • Murder in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #1)
  • Wreath of Deception (Craft Corner, #1)
  • Dead Men Don't Lye (A Soapmaking Mystery, #1)
  • A Killer Collection (A Collectible Mystery, #1)
  • Through a Glass, Deadly (A Glassblowing Mystery, #1)
  • Stuck on Murder (A Decoupage Mystery, #1)
  • Sink Trap (A Georgiana Neverall Mystery #1)
  • Bundle of Trouble (A Maternal Instincts Mystery, #1)
  • A New Leash on Death (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • Deadly Advice (Advice Column Mystery, #1)
  • Paper, Scissors, Death (Kiki Lowenstein Scrap-n-Craft Mystery, #1)
  • Faux Finished (An Interior Design Mystery, #1)
  • Curiosity Killed the Cat Sitter (A Dixie Hemingway Mystery #1)
  • A Tisket, A Tasket, A Fancy Stolen Casket (A Callie Parrish Mystery #1)
  • Die Buying (A Mall Cop Mystery, #1)
  • Killer Stuff (Jane Wheel, #1)
John Lamb is the author of "Bear Collector" mysteries from Berkley Prime Crime. Prior to becoming a writer, he had a distinguished career as a Southern California cop, serving as a CSI, a homicide investigator, hostage negotiator,and detective sergeant."

Series:
* A Bear Collector's Mystery
* Steve and Victoria MacKinnon Mystery
More about John J. Lamb...

A Bear Collector's Mystery (5 books)
  • The False-Hearted Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery, #2)
  • The Crafty Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • The Clockwork Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery
  • The Treacherous Teddy
The False-Hearted Teddy (A Bear Collector's Mystery, #2) The Crafty Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery The Clockwork Teddy: A Bear Collector's Mystery The Treacherous Teddy Echoes of the Lost Order