Start by marking “Clifford's Good Deeds” as Want to Read:
Clifford's Good Deeds

Clifford's Good Deeds (Clifford the Big Red Dog)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  1,206 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Read all about Clifford's BIG ideas! Classic Clifford reissued!

It only takes a little to BE BIG!

Clifford has a good heart, but whenever he tries to BE RESPONSIBLE and do good deeds for others, they always seem to backfire. In the end, he manages to save two children from a burning house, and then put out the fire. Finally, Clifford is a hero!

The BE BIG campaign invites eve...more
Published May 1st 2010 by Cartwheel Books (first published January 1st 1949)

To ask other readers questions about Clifford's Good Deeds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Clifford's Good Deeds

Crystal Lough
Clifford's Good Deeds is a picture book. This book is targeted to children in primary grades. The book is about Clifford doing good deeds for other people but messing everything up. It's funny because he's always trying to do the right thing but ends up causing more trouble than anything. I rated this book a 5 because I truly enjoy Clifford books. I feel as though the stories are always interesting, funny, and applicable. They normally have a moral to put across to the children. The pictures are...more
Nadia Gonzalez
Summary: Clifford's Good Deeds by Norman Bridwell is a book about a big kind hearted red dog named Clifford and his friend Emily Elizabeth. One day a boy who lived across the street from Emilly and Clifford decided that if he had the help of Clifford he could many people. Clifford, Emily Elizabeth and Tim try to accomplish good deeds, and end up only creating trouble. For example, in one case they wanted to help a man who was raking leaves. They helped the man rake the leaves and put them in his...more
Melanie Bates
Clifford’s Good Deed

Summary: This story includes Clifford the famous big red dog and of course his friend Emily Elizabeth. Throughout the story Clifford and his friends go about trying to do “good deeds” although they always had high hopes and good intensions their good deeds didn’t always go as planned. The illustrations in this book show many of the deeds Clifford and his friends were trying to complete.

Response: I gave this book five stars because I thought the meaning was cute. It allows stu...more
Sara Baker
Summary
This book is about a big, red dog named Clifford and his friend Emily Elizabeth. Their friend Tim needs help doing good deeds. The gang goes around the town trying to help people. The only problem is that all the deeds they do, do not always turn out the way they hoped. At the end of the book, Clifford saves the day! This electronic book is a great way for children to interact with the pictures! Each page has a different activity for the children to do.

Responses
I gave this book five sta...more
Courtney
Clifford is the friendliest and nicest red dog you will ever meet. In this book Clifford sets out to do some good deeds with his friends Emily Elizabeth and Tim. They encounter different situations that look promising for Clifford to help out, but Clifford only ends up making a mess. Although he has good intentions and wants to help due to his large size and force, his actions make things worse sometimes. Clifford begins to feel down until another opportunity for him to do a good deed arises. He...more
Ally Copper
Clifford the Big Red Dog has been a part of children's literature since 1963, and 75 books later, he is still a favorite among young readers, especially pre-k through third-graders. He is an immediately recognizable friend on library and bookstore shelves that children are drawn to. The 1985 picture book "Clifford's Good Deeds" by Norman Bridwell features familiar characters, Clifford, Emily, and Tim going around town looking for good deeds to do. Clifford has good intentions but ends up causing...more
Brittany Hodges
I love all of the Clifford books. Clifford is a great dog and I wish he was my dog! I think this is a great "dogs" children's book, because while some of the things Clifford does as a dog, they don't seem too far fetched because Clifford is so big and the writers word choices he uses to describe Clifford are relatable to dogs, even though Clifford is doing human activities. Once again with the use of character, the writer does a great describing Clifford and making his character as a superhero d...more
Robin Gassen
This book is good at promoting good deeds to children. It shows that even thought things may not go according to plan, it still is good to help other out. Clifford stories are classic for their cute, big, red dog and for the wonderful lessons he teaches everyone.
Emily Bernd
Another great Clifford book that teaches a good lesson about doing good deeds and helping others. This book would be good to read to primary grades about helping other and kindness.
Jennie Park
In this story, Clifford and his friends try to help others in need but end up causing more trouble that they started out with. Clifford's big size held him back from helping out the people he really wanted to and eventually people tell him to not help them anymore. Clifford and his friends are sad because they had good intentions but ended up not helping their neighbors; however, there was one incident where there is a huge fire and Clifford helps two children get out safely that were trapped in...more
Betsy
Whole series is a great read out loud good for kids
Joannah
Referring to the Storia eBook version - while my son loves this book read to him by the app, I despise this book. The theme is basically "no good deed goes unpunished" until the very end, as Clifford helps person after ungrateful person who treat Clifford as the sum of his mistakes instead of his good intentions and kind heart. The only "reward" he gets is a medal - I'd rather teach my child intrinsic motivation, altruism, and gratitude, but this story seems to undermine these concepts. Maybe I'...more
Caitlin Mauragas
Again, this is a great book for teaching "being a good citizen". It is important for the students to know what is expected out of them as a member of this country. That in order to make a system work, everyone needs to pitch in. Now, this explanation would be brought down to their level of course. But, I think that it is extremely important for children are taught from the beginning to be a nice person.
Michelle
In this story, Clifford is trying to help the people around him by doing good deeds, but it doesn't work out so well. This book could be used in preschool class as a funny read aloud. It can show students that they can help by ding different things. If you can't figure out how you can help at first, keep trying.
Brynn Scheibel
In this picture book Bridwell shows how Clifford tries to do some good deeds. Although like in other Clifford stories there always seems to be some sort of mistake that could occur. I think the story gives a lesson that even though you may mess up its still worth doing good deeds.
Kristina Arnold
I liked this book because it is a good book to read when you are trying to teach your children to do the right thing. Sometimes things will go wrong when you are trying to help but that is okay as long as you keep trying.
Kelly
Poor Clifford! He tries to help out but his big body and excitement keeps getting in the way! Finally at the end he is able to really help out and put his big body to use. Simple book on tape and cute read.
Christi
Deborah Harris
AR Quiz No. 10513 EN Fiction
Accelerated Reader Quiz Information IL: LG - BL: 2.2 - AR Pts: 0.5
Accelerated Reader Quiz Type Information AR Quiz Types: RP, RV, VP
This book would be good to teach students how to be community helpers. This teaches how students can help people in their communities, even if they think they can't.
Emely
Clifford tries to help Tim and do good deeds, but his size gets in the way. Eventually he does do a good deed and rescues two children from a burning house.
Pamela

L
Zvuujjl.,L.djxl"Joh

S
Heather
Clifford the big red dog reminds me a bit of a Curious George. He always makes mistakes but somehow ends up saving the day!
Wooden Horse
A big dog helping in small ways showing Emily Elizabeth and her friend Tim that Good Deeds make for a better community.
Clifford tries to help...but sometimes his great size gets in the way. Lots of fun "oh no!" moments in this one.
Theresa
good early reader, using texet to relate to the television show, a cute childhood story book.
Kristin
Great way to teach children to do for others
Tam
My 5-year-old thought this was a funny book.
Dimps
One of my childhood favorites. :)
  • The Berenstain Bears Meet Santa Bear
  • Arthur's Christmas (Arthur Adventure Series)
  • Curious George Goes to a Costume Party
  • Happy Easter, Little Critter (Little Critter)
  • A Pocket Full of Kisses
  • Froggy Goes to the Doctor
Norman Bridwell is an American author and cartoonist, best-known for the Clifford the Big Red Dog series of children's books. Bridwell attended John Herron School of Art in Indianapolis, Indiana. He currently resides on Martha's Vineyard, MA, where he continues to write an average of two books a year.

More about Norman Bridwell...
Clifford the Big Red Dog Clifford's Halloween Clifford The Small Red Puppy Clifford The Firehouse Dog Clifford's Birthday Party