Start by marking “The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister, #1)

The Love Of A Cowboy (Callister #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  519 ratings  ·  47 reviews
In this exquisite and sensual debut, Anna Jeffrey takes us to Callister, Idaho, where one woman discovers the love of a cowboy--and a passion as powerful and untamed as the rugged land they share...

Published July 1st 2003 by Onyx (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Love Of A Cowboy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Love Of A Cowboy

Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur GoldenThe Iron Duke by Meljean BrookSex in the Title by Zack LoveBonds of Justice by Nalini SinghButterfly Swords by Jeannie Lin
Romance Books With Asian Love Interests
66th out of 339 books — 183 voters
Talented by Sophie  DavisBound by Blood by Cynthia EdenPrince of Wolves by Quinn LoftisAlone Time by Lauren DaneSherry's Wolf by Maddy Barone
Best Free Books On Amazon
14th out of 52 books — 29 voters

More lists with this book...

Anne OK
Jul 19, 2012 Anne OK rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anne OK by: Amazon Kindle Freebie
Shelves: 2012-reads
3.5 Stars

Every now and then I like a little cowboy to go along with my romance. When Luke McRae's story popped up on Amazon as a freebie for Kindle, I invited him to join me. Along with managing the family ranch in Idaho, Luke also has an alcoholic ex-wife who he is continually fighting in order to keep custody of his two teenage daughters and an adorable mentally challenged son. Then there is Luke’s mother, who is generous with her strong opinions on how Luke should live his life, as well as be
Amber
I really enjoyed this book. I'm hesitant to recommend because it had some tediousness and odd word choices that I found off putting or distracting. However, it has that spark and I think these characters will stick with me.
Lavada Dee
If there were a higher score than 5 stars I'd give it to this book. And, we almost didn't read it. One of those flutes. My daughter picked it up at work and wasn't really interested in it from the blurb on the back but she had just finished reading one and needed something for her break. From the time she picked it up she could hardly put it down and brought it over to me. Same thing, I read the blurbs and wouldn't have started the book but for her over enthusiastic recommendation. I loved it. B ...more
Sherry
Overall, I really liked this story. It did have a few problems in my opinion.

It felt dated. Maybe, because it is. Or maybe the authors age is showing. These are fairly young characters so I'm really hoping this book was really written in the early 90's. The clothing descriptions and pick of perfume and cologne would be odd choices. I know the story is set in small town so the are a few years behind the times in some stuff. But I can't believe that many years behind. The info on this books says o
Brenda
This is a hard story for me to rate because the hero, Luke, was so dang stubborn and afraid to show emotion I just wanted to slap him. I think I wanted him to have a deeper sense of humor, maybe? Despite my frustration with Luke, the story was wonderful. It had a couple of elements I applaud the author for--the first is her handling of Luke's son Jimmy, who has Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Sometimes the writing will almost take on a lecturing tone when it's something like this, but Ms. Jeffrey wrote ...more
Laurie
The beginning of this book was good. I liked Dahlia and thought of her as a strong willed independent woman. I loved Luke, his character won me over and I was delighted to know that a rough cowboy could also be a nurturing family man. It warmed my heart that he was so gentle and patient with his handicapped son. The intimate scenes were well written and as hot as a Texas summer.

What I could have done without, though, was the last part of the book. Dahlia turned into an ungrateful shrew and woul
Guilty Pleasures
Slick's review posted on Guilty Pleasures

4.5 Stars

This book was recommended to me by a friend on Facebook. I’ve never read this author before but I bought it on her recommendation and in the process I discovered another author whose work I enjoy. The Love of a Cowboy by Anna Jeffery is about two women who travel from Texas to Idaho to be surveyors for the U.S. Forest Service for the summer. They soon find out that summer in Idaho is a lot different from Texas and being “outsiders” in a small com
cariedaway
Eline
Why do I like cowboys so much? I really don't have an idea... When I was younger I just LOVED to watch McLeod's Daughters. I still have all the seasons on DVD in my room and I'm planning to watch all the episodes again. I love ranches, cowboys, horses, ... although I don't have one of those elements around me in everyday life. Maybe that's why I like them so much. ;)

I liked this book by Anna Jeffrey about a woman who falls in love with a stubborn cowboy, Luke. It's a very typical story and that'
Victoria
Oct 23, 2012 Victoria rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves to read complex and welll developed adult love stories.
5++++++ stars!!! Anna Jeffrey is my new favorite author!

This book is truly an amazing read! The Love of a Cowboy is the wonderful love story of Luke and Dahlia, two strong and passionate characters involved in a believable modern-day romance. This book took me through a whole range of different emotions: happiness, anxiety, anger, elation, sorrow... The author's writing style is superb, and the story and characters are very well developed. What a great story! What a great book!!
JLC
Had this book rated @ 3 stars, then changed my mind & went back & changed it to 4 stars. If I'm being honest, 4 stars better represents the enjoyment I got out of reading this. Why? 2nd characters. This book makes me realize how much more I enjoy books w/strong 2nd characters integrated w/in it.
Brooke

I loved the characters, and the plot, and especially the realness of the relationships... But damn was this drawn out... some parts seemed to go on and on, while others flew by... The sex scenes where awesome, very hot...
Marilyn
Jul 30, 2012 Marilyn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Marilyn by: Audrey, Romantic Forum Refugees
This is a great story, a western with a contemporary setting. An Idaho cowboy, Lucas MacRae, and a Texas gal, Dahlia Montgomery, take you along on a great read about love the second time around. This gets listed as one of my "Favorites."
Pamela(AllHoney)
I found this to be overall a good, pleasant read. The ending didn't flow very smooth for me, though.
Louisa
Fun, quick, easy read, and, most importantly, it is an a free Kindle book!
Maureen Hoar
This was a great romance novel. It involves two very stuborn people that need each other. Dahlia is a recently widowed woman who found out on her husban's death bed that he was cheating on her. She escapes with her friend to Idaho to start a new page in her life. She meets Luke who is a ranch owner and recently divorced and in the middle of a nasty custody battle. They are not exactly the most ready for love couple at the time they meet. But both of them need a little love and understanding. The ...more
Alison
Dahlia’s had a rough few years. Her husband dies in a car accident and in the aftermath she learns he’s been unfaithful and has been cheating the IRS. Forcing Dahlia to file for bankruptcy and move home with her father.

Dahlia has settled into life with her Dad, helping him in his grocery store, when her best friend convinces her to go to Idaho for the summer to work for the Forestry service doing surveying. On her second day in town she gets bowled over by Luke Mcrae, after her experiences with
Heather
This was a good read but I found it hard to concentrate on it. It seemed like there was lots of parts that were real dull and droned on and on and on. My first impression of Luke was that he was a jerk and it took awhile to warm up to him. But when I finally did warm up to him, it was hard not to fall hard for him. He was sweet, romantic, and attentive. Even when he couldn't commit because his family and the ranch came first, it was still hard not to love him because he was honorable and deticat ...more
GeckoEcho
book blurb should read...

Texas beauty Dahlia Montgomery isn't looking for trouble when she agrees to spend the summer with her best friend in Callister, Idaho. But the young widow's dreams of tranquility are shattered when she encounters Luke McRae--a long, lean cowboy who'd like to charm Dahlia into
Luci O
A long book. Longer than I expected it to be.
Because of that, for me, it dragged a bit at times.

But I do have to say, I didn't really like Luke. He never really grew on me. He was chauvinistic at times and pushed my buttons with the was he acted towards Dahlia. I honestly don't know what was so all pealing about him to her.

In spite of that, and the few grammar mistakes, it was an enjoyable read.
Trish
Over 15 years ago I was addicted to romance novels, this is my first since then. I really enjoyed this book, I couldn't put it down; I was drawn in immediately. Luke was definetly not the average hero and I enjoyed that. A lot of unusual fmaily twists and turns. This is a very refreshing romance story, very believable. I could've used a little less of the sex indepth details and a little more put into the story details but it is a romance novel and I still loved it. If you're into romance fictio ...more
Pam
11/26/05 #209
TITLE/AUTHOR: THE LOVE OF A COWBOY by Anna Jeffrey
RATING: 4/B
GENRE/PUB DATE/# OF PGS: Romance, 2003, 352 pgs
COMMENTS: Dahlia is a young widow from Texas who takes on a summer job w/ the Forest Service in Idaho. Her marriage was not a happy one and she is hesitant about men. She meets Luke McRae, local cowboy & rancher. They have a lusty summer together but is it love. Good debut!

Audra
I loved reading the story and the characters in this book. I thought at one point that the book was about to end and then realized I was only 3/4 of the way through, but was excited to know there was more to their story. I loved the character developement and would definately recommend this book to anyone who enjoys a good romance novel.
Nicolette
Sometimes some of the comments and phrases just jarred against my sensibilities making me realise I see the world differently to the characters in the novel, but despite these differences the fact that the characters were real and flawed and vulnerable and worthy of love drew me in and I enjoyed the journey of their story.
Diane
a rather nice love story between a ranch owner with many responsibilities who has been burned by love, and a heroine who has also been hurt both emotionally and financially by her late husband. how they finally work out their differences makes for a sweet story. the MIL has to be the MIL from hell, by the way!
Stace
For whatever reason the description listed on Goodreads is NOT for this book. This book is about Dahlia & Luke. I liked the first half but once I lost respect for Luke I never managed to get it back. I knew there would be a HEA but I was actually hoping Dahlia would run off and find somebody more worthy of her.
Bernadette
Definitely deserving of all the good reviews. One of the better books I have read lately and I plan to continue this series and author. Knowing she is co-author as Dixie Cash, I did expect a bit more humor. Only a couple of LOL moments. Had a very "real" feel in the characters and setting. I want to go visit Idaho!
Mei
Loved the characters! This book drew me in and I couldn't put it down. Steamy, sensual and romantic, even though Luke wasn't the most romantic! He's a cowboy and that alone makes him sexy and romantic! Dahlia is a strong woman and I love a strong female lead character. Definitely a solid 5 stars.
4.5*. This is a really good debut novel. I fancied a different author as I've been finding some of my reading a bit formulaic and this was a real breath of fresh air. The story of Luke and Dahlia was full of twists and turns, family tensions and strong emotion.
Rebecca
DNF. Characters changed personalities too much. Plus, I don't enjoy love/hate books that go on loving and hating forever. However, since I didn't finish the book, I don't really know how long it went on, but it was too long for me!
  • Chasing Rainbows
  • Destiny Wears Spurs
  • Reckless for Cowboy (Stampede Sizzler, #2)
  • Warrior's Bride
  • Texas Lily
  • In the Marshal's Arms
  • Heart of Mine (Bandit Creek, #16)
  • California Caress
  • Mending Fences
  • Hanchart Land
  • Dream Kisses (Romance on the Ranch, #1)
  • Already Home (Sons of Chance #6.2)
  • Blame it on Texas (Lone Star Cowboys #1)
  • Texas Hold Him
  • The Bride Wore Feathers
  • Taken by the Cowboy
  • Texas Outlaw
  • Relentless (Aspen, #1)
Anna Jeffrey is an award-winning author of romance novels as well as romantic comedy/mystery. She has written 9 romance novels and co-authored 7 as USA Today Bestselling author, Dixie Cash. Her most recent book is "The Tycoon."

Her Anna Jeffrey books have won the Write Touch Readers' Award, the Aspen Gold, and the More Than Magic awards. Her books have been finalists in the Colorado Romance Writers
More about Anna Jeffrey...

Callister (3 books)
  • The Love of a Stranger (Callister, #2)
  • The Love of a Lawman (Callister, #3)
Sweet Water The Love of a Stranger (Callister, #2) The Love of a Lawman (Callister, #3) Sweet Return Salvation, Texas