Start by marking “Fires of Prophecy” as Want to Read:
Fires of Prophecy

Fires of Prophecy (The Morcyth Saga #2)

4.12  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,021 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
At the fall of the City of Light, Miko is captured by the Empire's forces and is taken as a slave into the Empire. James. with the help of some new found allies, travels into the Empire to rescue his friend. From the City of Light, to the slave markets of Korazan, even unto the Empire's capitol itself, James continues his search for his friend, Miko, unwilling to leave him ...more
Nook, 328 pages
Published March 30th 2009 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Fires of Prophecy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fires of Prophecy

Amy
Jun 26, 2014 Amy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Whew. I got through it.

The first book in the series, The Unsuspecting Mage, was awkwardly written in the present tense, but the plot was compelling enough to overlook it for the most part.

This book was originally written in present tense and then poorly converted to past tense. Why poorly? Well, once a chapter or so there would be a sentence or even half a sentence that was still in present tense. Super annoying.

Added to that, the plot was not at all interesting. I think James probably could hav
Don
Jan 26, 2014 Don rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Don't waste your money on this book, it is just an expensive subplot!

The author, Brian S. Pratt, said he wrote this series because he hated stories with subplots. This book is one entire Subplot. You won’t get one centimeter closer to solving the mystery of “The Morcyth Sage” in the Fires of Prophecy book. Well, at least until you read the Epilog! I wasted $5.95 on a subplot that was entirely about trying to find Miko. Not to mention a very tedious process getting there. Constant obstacles, rabb
Alex
Apr 12, 2016 Alex rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Book two of the Morcyth Saga was filled with considerably more action than the first novel. I loved the way James gained allies on his journey to rescue Miko. The presence of his newly gained companions served to provide an "ordinary" basis of comparison for James and highlighted all of his strengths to the reader whilst somewhat detracting from his character's perceptible shortcomings. Besides, who does not enjoy watching secondary characters marvel over the prowess of the main protagonist a ...more
Nick Bolock
Coming fresh off the first book and delving into the second, I read through Fires of Prophecy by Brian S. Pratt in short order.

Our tale opens with dire straits concerning our fearless heroes, James and Miko. After being caught up in the fall of the City of Light, Miko is captured and cold as a slave and James is left with no more answers than he started with. Along the way to find Miko, James meets a whole host of new companions like knife-wielding (maniac in the latter's case) boys Jiron and T
Eric
Apr 30, 2015 Eric rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As much as I loved Unsuspecting Mage, this book is just as good of a read. The addition of Jiron as a "main"/supporting character makes for a fun time, leaning about another from the region. Once again the plot is solid and progresses well. This book was extremely difficult to put down, making breaks at work take a little too long.

I also enjoyed the change in perspective from following James, to following the other characters when the need arises. It made for nice contrast.
sheryl Bernard
Storyline is good but not great.

The constant killing is becoming boring. The tense useage is extremely Inaccurate creating a staccato reading experience. The characters are realistic and interesting. This story looks as if no one proofread it. Someone should have because the blatant grammatical mistakes rob it of being a good read. Overpriced.
LazerWraith
Sep 20, 2012 LazerWraith rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I'm not sure why I read this 2nd book in the series, after the terrible first one. Probably because the main character has some powerful magical abilities, and a few people said this book was better than the first.

It was better...a little bit.

The main problem is a ton of unrealistic actions (even for a fantasy book). Just about every single guard the characters meet ends up fighting them, and then dying because of the party's awesome skills. Has the author never heard of lazy guards that don't r
Sebastien
Dec 25, 2011 Sebastien rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan de roman légé et fantaisiste
Recommended to Sebastien by: Internet
Shelves: high-fantasy
Alors j'enchaîne immédiatement avec le second volume de la Morcyth Saga. Après ma deuxième lecture du premier volume je me faisais moins d'idée quant au talent de l'auteur et de sa capacité à développer un classique en son genre. Étant le deuxième livre je me disait que l'auteur allait surement déballer un peu plus de son monde et de son fameux génie, car les critiques sur Amazon.com semblait dire que cet homme avait ré-inventé le style fantasy. Je crois qu'il y a eu un peu d'auto-critique et de ...more
Audrey Moberg
Sep 09, 2015 Audrey Moberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story

The story itself is great and I enjoyed it. Lots of action etc. The main issue is that whoever put it into e-book format (I'm assuming it wasn't written that way after reading the first one and having little to no issues) really screwed up a lot. There are a lot of misspelled words and improper tense/word choices. It was night and day from the first. The story was exciting and kept me hooked but the mistakes were so frequent, at times it was hard to look past without it detracting fro
Ian King
Nov 19, 2014 Ian King rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don't know how you get away with such terrible writing, yet I'm a little hooked too Brian. You tell a great story, however awful the grammar might be and the present tense style sometimes annoying. However people like to relax and read - with your books you can do just that. Not sure whether to say well done or not. I choose well done.
Willis
Jul 30, 2011 Willis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read if you like fantasy sagas or if you are a role-playing fanatic. Writing style improved over the 1st book in the saga. The book is still more in role-playing mode and less in character development. You feel like you are inside a role-playing computer site. That is not necessarily bad but you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you enjoy role-playing games. This series does one thing well, I think. It explains what it must be like for a person to learn how to do magic. It starts wit ...more
Ramdas Ormond
Mar 16, 2016 Ramdas Ormond rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Great story, weak writing. This is the case throughout the whole series.

"Then we do stood a chance," he said with a grin.
This quote, lifted from the third book is only one of many examples. I read the series anyway and enjoyed it. The writing did set my teeth on edge at times.
Ronmorris2
Jan 26, 2014 Ronmorris2 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even better than the first book. Exciting. But the number of close calls and escapes are almost unbelievable. But the message is clear. Treat people well and you will have loyal friends who will help you out in a tight spot.
William Francis
Very poorly written Ok story
In the hands of a better editor...
Kim
Mar 26, 2010 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The seemingly endless adventure continues as James searches for his friend Miko. While on the next part of his adventure he encounters new friends and new enemies. He also continues to learn about himself and the magic gift he has been given for some yet unknown reason. This book is an enjoyable read and those who love fantasy adventure, role play gaming, and just plain good story telling will like this second book in the Morcyth Saga. And the adventures continue...
Daniel Livers
Jun 27, 2015 Daniel Livers rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good read

This book is a good 2nd book to this series, but there are many typos. Still a very good read!!!!
Tommy Howell
The "fish out of water" element of the first novel seems to have gotten watered down a bit now that the main character, James, has come into his power. We get a little explanation, a backdrop for the "big bad" and a big quest that it takes the whole novel to accomplish. Sometimes it felt like a D&D campaign and this book was spent leveling party members.
Greg
Aug 19, 2011 Greg rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, kindle-ebook
This was a pretty good 2nd book in the series. I liked the first better as there seemed to be more discovery in it, than this one, which was much more "rescue from slavery" story.

Still a good book and in the same vein as the last a sword and sorcery, MMO, RPG Module novelized... If you D&D you'll probably really enjoy this book/series
Melana
Apr 22, 2012 Melana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, it didn't really pick up much in book 2. Much more drawn out than book one. It was really hard for me to stay interested. I still like the series though and believe it to be a read all and all. Hoping the 3rd book will be a faster pace. And have more interest content.
Thomas Harning
Dec 22, 2010 Thomas Harning rated it it was amazing
Shelves: have-ebook, reviewed
Excellent read! Read the first one free from B&N and had to continue on with the story. I am now onto the third book in the series and it does not disappoint.

Looking forward to diving into the fourth book in the series.
pdarnold
Feb 08, 2011 pdarnold rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction-fantasy
Once again, a fun read. This is meant for young adults and should be reviewed with that in mind. If you want to escape into another world Fires of Prophecy will certainly meet the need.
Lana
Jun 10, 2013 Lana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this book, the sequel to the Unsuspected Mage - I can't wait to see where the story leads.
Definitely will recommend to others to read.
Kane
Sep 18, 2011 Kane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Awesome. As soon as I finished the book, without any hesitation bought the next book in the series and started reading it.
Dawn Dawn
Jan 04, 2012 Dawn Dawn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Can I just say the writing definitely improved from that of book 1. I'm totally hooked on the series! Great read!
Kirk
Jan 12, 2011 Kirk rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brian-pratt
A bit better written with just as much going on to keep me interested. Nice little story.
Joy
The writing style isn't my favorite, but I like the story line and especially the characters
Muhammad Gibran
Jun 04, 2012 Muhammad Gibran rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
another great adventure await for James and Miko.
Elizabeth
Jul 02, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
originally read it July 2014, re-read July 2015
  • The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • Gifted Apprentice
  • The Sorcerer's Vengeance (The Sorcerer's Path, #4)
  • The Ancient Ones (Legacy, #3)
  • Magus (Advent Mage Cycle, #2)
  • Honor Found (The Spare Heir, #2)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)
  • The Road to Magic (Way of the Demon, #1)
  • Lord Protector (The Queen's Blade, #6)
  • The Consuls of the Vicariate (Mages of Bloodmyr #2)
  • The Other Prism (The Broken Prism, #2)
  • The Dark Half of the Sun (The Young Ancients, #7)
  • Reborn: God's Game (Reborn, #5)
  • Master (A Wizard's Life, #3)
  • Peter and the Elven Songs (War of Contractia, #2)
  • Throne of Vengeance (Delver Magic, #2)
Brian was born in Modesto, California. He graduated high school in 1985 and went straight into the Air Force where he was trained as an Avionic Specialist on the F-117A Stealth Fighter.

When his tour of duty was over, he joined Pizza Hut as a delivery driver where he quickly rose to become a General Manager of a delivery unit in Edmonds, WA.

Then after a short stint as a taxi driver, he spent two ye
More about Brian S. Pratt...

The Morcyth Saga (7 books)
  • The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1)
  • Warrior Priest of Dmon-Li (The Morcyth Saga, #3)
  • Trail of the Gods (The Morcyth Saga, #4)
  • The Star of Morcyth (The Morcyth Saga, #5)
  • Shades of the Past (The Morcyth Saga, #6)
  • The Mists of Sorrow (The Morcyth Saga, #7)