Fires of Prophecy

Fires of Prophecy (The Morcyth Saga #2)

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  641 ratings  ·  20 reviews
At the fall of the City of Light, Miko is captured by the Empire's forces and is taken as a slave into the Empire. James. with the help of some new found allies, travels into the Empire to rescue his friend. From the City of Light, to the slave markets of Korazan, even unto the Empire's capitol itself, James continues his search for his friend, Miko, unwilling to leave him...more
Published March 30th 2009 by Smashwords, Inc. (first published January 1st 2006)

Don
Don't waste your money on this book, it is just an expensive subplot!

The author, Brian S. Pratt, said he wrote this series because he hated stories with subplots. This book is one entire Subplot. You won’t get one centimeter closer to solving the mystery of “The Morcyth Sage” in the Fires of Prophecy book. Well, at least until you read the Epilog! I wasted $5.95 on a subplot that was entirely about trying to find Miko. Not to mention a very tedious process getting there. Constant obstacles, rabb...more
Amy
Whew. I got through it.

The first book in the series, The Unsuspecting Mage, was awkwardly written in the present tense, but the plot was compelling enough to overlook it for the most part.

This book was originally written in present tense and then poorly converted to past tense. Why poorly? Well, once a chapter or so there would be a sentence or even half a sentence that was still in present tense. Super annoying.

Added to that, the plot was not at all interesting. I think James probably could hav...more
LazerWraith
I'm not sure why I read this 2nd book in the series, after the terrible first one. Probably because the main character has some powerful magical abilities, and a few people said this book was better than the first.

It was better...a little bit.

The main problem is a ton of unrealistic actions (even for a fantasy book). Just about every single guard the characters meet ends up fighting them, and then dying because of the party's awesome skills. Has the author never heard of lazy guards that don't r...more
Sebastien
Dec 25, 2011 Sebastien rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fan de roman légé et fantaisiste
Recommended to Sebastien by: Internet
Shelves: high-fantasy
Alors j'enchaîne immédiatement avec le second volume de la Morcyth Saga. Après ma deuxième lecture du premier volume je me faisais moins d'idée quant au talent de l'auteur et de sa capacité à développer un classique en son genre. Étant le deuxième livre je me disait que l'auteur allait surement déballer un peu plus de son monde et de son fameux génie, car les critiques sur Amazon.com semblait dire que cet homme avait ré-inventé le style fantasy. Je crois qu'il y a eu un peu d'auto-critique et de...more
Willis
Good read if you like fantasy sagas or if you are a role-playing fanatic. Writing style improved over the 1st book in the saga. The book is still more in role-playing mode and less in character development. You feel like you are inside a role-playing computer site. That is not necessarily bad but you'll get more enjoyment out of the game if you enjoy role-playing games. This series does one thing well, I think. It explains what it must be like for a person to learn how to do magic. It starts wit...more
Ronmorris2
Even better than the first book. Exciting. But the number of close calls and escapes are almost unbelievable. But the message is clear. Treat people well and you will have loyal friends who will help you out in a tight spot.
Kim
The seemingly endless adventure continues as James searches for his friend Miko. While on the next part of his adventure he encounters new friends and new enemies. He also continues to learn about himself and the magic gift he has been given for some yet unknown reason. This book is an enjoyable read and those who love fantasy adventure, role play gaming, and just plain good story telling will like this second book in the Morcyth Saga. And the adventures continue...
Tommy Howell
The "fish out of water" element of the first novel seems to have gotten watered down a bit now that the main character, James, has come into his power. We get a little explanation, a backdrop for the "big bad" and a big quest that it takes the whole novel to accomplish. Sometimes it felt like a D&D campaign and this book was spent leveling party members.
Greg
This was a pretty good 2nd book in the series. I liked the first better as there seemed to be more discovery in it, than this one, which was much more "rescue from slavery" story.

Still a good book and in the same vein as the last a sword and sorcery, MMO, RPG Module novelized... If you D&D you'll probably really enjoy this book/series
Melana
Well, it didn't really pick up much in book 2. Much more drawn out than book one. It was really hard for me to stay interested. I still like the series though and believe it to be a read all and all. Hoping the 3rd book will be a faster pace. And have more interest content.
Thomas Harning
Excellent read! Read the first one free from B&N and had to continue on with the story. I am now onto the third book in the series and it does not disappoint.

Looking forward to diving into the fourth book in the series.
pdarnold
Once again, a fun read. This is meant for young adults and should be reviewed with that in mind. If you want to escape into another world Fires of Prophecy will certainly meet the need.
Lisa Vandiver
This was another excellent book from this brilliant author. I enjoyed part two as well as part one, perhaps better. I hope to complete this series before the year is out.
Lana
I really loved this book, the sequel to the Unsuspected Mage - I can't wait to see where the story leads.
Definitely will recommend to others to read.
Kane
Awesome. As soon as I finished the book, without any hesitation bought the next book in the series and started reading it.
Dawn Dawn
Can I just say the writing definitely improved from that of book 1. I'm totally hooked on the series! Great read!
Kirk
A bit better written with just as much going on to keep me interested. Nice little story.
Joy
The writing style isn't my favorite, but I like the story line and especially the characters
Muhammad Gibran
another great adventure await for James and Miko.
  • The Wayfarer King (Kinshield Saga, #2)
  • The Final Redemption (Mageborn, #5)
  • The Sorcerer's Torment (The Sorcerer's Path, #2)
  • The Road to Magic (Way of the Demon, #1)
  • Stardeep (Forgotten Realms: The Dungeons, #3)
  • Knight of the Realm (The Young Ancients, #3)
  • Child of the Sword (The Gods Within, #1)
  • Lord Protector (The Queen's Blade, #6)
  • Dark Lord (Falconfar Saga, #1)
  • Lord of Stormweather (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #7)
  • Sands of the Soul (Forgotten Realms: Sembia, #6)
  • The Dragonswarm (Dragonprince Trilogy, #2)
  • Final Battle (In Her Name: Redemption, #3)
Brian was born in Modesto, California. He graduated high school in 1985 and went straight into the Air Force where he was trained as an Avionic Specialist on the F-117A Stealth Fighter.

When his tour of duty was over, he joined Pizza Hut as a delivery driver where he quickly rose to become a General Manager of a delivery unit in Edmonds, WA.

Then after a short stint as a taxi driver, he spent two ye...more
More about Brian S. Pratt...
The Unsuspecting Mage (The Morcyth Saga, #1) Warrior Priest of Dmon-Li (The Morcyth Saga, #3) Shades of the Past (The Morcyth Saga, #6) The Star of Morcyth (The Morcyth Saga, #5) Trail of the Gods (The Morcyth Saga, #4)