Start by marking “The Language of Letting Go” as Want to Read:
Blank-133x176
The Language of Lettin...

Melody Beattie

The Language of Letting Go

4.38 of 5 stars 4.38  ·  rating details  ·  3,014 ratings  ·  164 reviews
For more than a decade, millions of readers have turned to Beattie's classic meditation book, THE LANGUAGE OF LETTING GO, as a wellspring for daily reflection, affirmation, and change. With honesty and encouragement, she reminds readers that each day is an opportunity for renewal.
Published January 1st 1990 by Hazelden Publishing & Educational Services

To ask other readers questions about The Language of Letting Go, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Language of Letting Go

Kayefex
Reading date: Ongoing.

I'm not much of a self-help type of person... but this one is an exception. This book is a journal, if you will, of daily thoughts. Schedule 15 minutes each morning to read a selection and write some notes about how it may affect your world and your life. You'll be surprised at the insights you have and the changes you can make in Your World.
Janie
I first met Melody Beattie at about the time that I became acquainted with John Bradshaw and all of the others who had it figured out when it comes to forgiveness and acceptance. I carried a ratty copy of "The Language of Letting Go" with me everywhere I went for many years before I passed it on to a dear friend.

What I learned? Hmmm...to let go and let God run things. The whole thing about me having any control over the big picture was just something that I held onto for way too long. I particu
Are you a sucker in relationships? Do you say YES when you mean HELL NO? Do you give in too quickly, make concessions, or end up passive-agressively sucker punching someone psychologically because you're afraid if you tell the truth, stick up for yourself, or express your needs you won't have any friends or lovers?

Read this book.
Julietta
Mar 09, 2008 Julietta rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
This book is definitely a must read for everybody. In life we all experience set backs, trauma, or the unexpected and this book is a guide to help cope through these encounters.
Hannah Jane
This is the book that propelled me out of a depression many years ago. A special friend encouraged me to write a response to each of the daily meditations, and I learned a lot about myself by the end of the first year, most importantly how to protect love from helplessness. I have been blessed with four copies of this book. And each one eventually journeys into the hands of someone, who like me, struggles to let go. Each time I stumble upon another copy of this book, I take it as a sign that it ...more
Amy
This book was given to me during a very difficult time in my life. My copy is tagged with countless page markers and is worn from reading it again and again. The book has had such a huge impact on me that I have since bought it for at least a dozen people in the past few years. Melody Beattie offers advice in a non-judgmental, non-preachy voice that resonates with true understanding. Short daily passages focus on a different topic each day, such as Acceptance, Denial, Boundaries, Accepting Our B ...more
Amy Bauer
May 04, 2008 Amy Bauer rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amy by: a good friend
This book is my God book, it never fails that the message is exactly what I need. I read it every day, try to do a little journaling about each meditation, and think on it while I water my plants and talk to and open my mind to listen to God. I first started reading this book in 1997, and find it to be just as helpful today as the first day I opened it. It is a great book for anyone, not just people in recovery.
Jennifer Holder
Given to me by my future mother-in-law, I have found so much solace in this book. Suffering from anxiety and panic disorder, I find this book often can provide my relief in these times, in some crazy way. It's been a blessing with every passage. Not every passage applies to me, but I always take a lesson from each day's motivation.
Nikki Nielsen
This book has a thought, a meditation, for every day of the year. It is an excellent 12 step resource, a resourceful tool for those finding themselves 'stuck' in codependent relationships, and for everyone else it is a simple reminder that problems are made to be solved. I have been reading this every day for two years and I am a happier healthier person because of it.

It's okay to detach. It's okay to be healthy and whole when a family member or friend isn't. It's okay to be gentle with yoursel
Rebecca
This book is not just fantastic for people who have gone through loss, or trying situations in life but also for just people who want a different perspective on how to deal with all of life's challenges!! I was given this book when my son passed away shortly after he was born and it honestly was the only thing that kept me from immediately breaking down and bursting into tears when I first opened my eyes in the morning, I thank God for this book on a regular basis because it truly does comfort m ...more
Eleanor Cowan
Even though I am an atheist, I am aware of the notion of cause and effect, and of the fact that, in general, if you always try to do good in your life, then you will always like yourself. You will have integrity.

At the time I read this book I was a religious person, but even now that I am not, I would still recommend it because of its insistence on self-love and self-respect.

This book emphasizes the notion that people are not to allow themselves to be used because both the victim and the user a
Stacey
Not what I was expecting; I couldn't relate to quite a few of the entries because I don't have any addiction problems. But seemed like it would be a good book for people who do, and I think I'll keep it around for awhile since i find it enjoyable to read an entry or two every now and then.
Gary
Everyday there's a new entry. This book of daily affirmations, which I've been reading every morning for many years, often offers me the right thing I need to consider at the right time. Over the years, some of the ideas have sunk in, helping make my life more manageable.
Linda
Has been a daily read for years! Given to me by a friend...have scooped up editions when I see them at thrift stores or yard sales and give them away...great book! Love it!
Patricia
Can't say enough good things about this book. Whether or not you or your loved ones are in a codependent relationship, this book has words of wisdom for everyone.
Irvina
Very helpful for us Codependent people. Day by day help.
Ann Anderson
One to read and re-read and buy for your bookshelf!
Adra
There are books that give guidance on how to deal with life’s trials and tribulations and then there’s The Language of Letting Go! Never in all of my years have I read a guide that focused upon every aspect of what a human may endure. Often, our obstacles are invited by our inner energy which in return, sends them to us. Unfortunately, some are not invited potentially.

Despite of how they come, dealing with painful circumstances inappropriately or, simply choosing not to deal with them ever solve
♥ Ibrahim ♥
This book reads so well as it helps me in practical ways in my spiritual way with the Lord. One thing that the Lord blessed me with through this book was learning that I, Ibrahim, also known as Timothy will not pray because " a good Christian" is supposed to pray. Instead, I pray because I want to "connect" with my Maker, because I want to link my soul to my Source, my Father. It is not because I have to but because I want to. In prayer, I am learning to take care of my emotions, my mind, and my ...more
Danalee
I am always reading this book, it is a daily meditation book but I dont usually read it that often I just pick it up every now and then and LOVE what I get out of it. I want to pray for the woman who gave it to me in an amazingly serendipitous moment! I pray for her goodness and joy and enlightenment in her recovery. I dont know what she is recovering from- although I seem to remember her ex-spouse being an alcoholic- but I hope she has been and continues to grow and receive love in her journey ...more
Cara
Jul 27, 2014 Cara added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: TC
Shelves: life
This book was recommended to me as something to flip open at random and just get some nice life guidance. It turns out it's actually a daily devotional. Also, I hadn't realized it was written by the author of Codependent No More. That was a good book that taught me a lot, but not something I'd want to drag myself through again, frankly.

This one has a lot of God stuff in it, plus the "we" thing that annoyed me so much in the other book. Although I think there's some valuable stuff in here, those
Megankellie
So this is like a book of daily devotionals (?) or like ideas for codependent people. It's very heavy on the Al-Anon tip and 12-step references, so this would be very appropriate if all of these things fall in your corner. If they do not, well, it is still very terrific. I had to call a lot of people and say "well, I'm codependent anyway" and have one friend say "no, I think some of that is just being a person" and I agree, because it is more flattering. Still. I very much like this book a great ...more
Dale Faiello
This is my bible. Anytime I am struggling with an issue, this is the book I go to. Also thats nice is you can look in the back for the topic like fear, lonliness, anger etc. and find the pages dealing with those issues. So wise, smart and true!!!
Karron Franklin
This book has taught me how to say no and
stop being Co-dependent of people who refuse
to be responsible for themselves. This book
reminds me daily to be responsible for God first
myself second because in the end it will be God and myself only.
Renee
i have about 15 pages of this book left, but since i am 96% done, i am going to call it "read" and give my review. it is really good! it helped/is helping/will help me get through hard times in my life, to feel better about myself and life. i am going through a very, very hard time even right at this time in my life, and it helped me feel a bit less sorrow than i would have had i not been reading it. yay for inspiring books! but life is still hard! : ( one of my postal customer friends bought it ...more
Becca
This book is meant for those who deal with alcohol abuse personally or through family. BUT.... I dont have either of those issues in my life, I used this book because it just makes you feel better. Period. Whenever you feel bad just read a peice of it (its categorized into 365 days) and it helps you see things in a better light. I can't fully explain how much this book has helped me, especially through terrible breakups. Its simple advice... in a way. I even read a page when something is bugging ...more
Maria
Daily meditations perfect for my ongoing recovery from codependent thinking/behaving.
Miraculous Endeavors
Excellent daily readings for those who suffer from co-dependency, like myself :)
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • Healing the Shame that Binds You
  • Living Sober
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Road Less Traveled and Beyond: Spiritual Growth in an Age of Anxiety
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women
  • The Sermon on the Mount: The Key to Success in Life
  • The Courage to Heal: A Guide for Women Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning
  • Women Who Love Too Much: When You Keep Wishing and Hoping He'll Change
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • Struggle for Intimacy
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependant No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependants Anon ...more
More about Melody Beattie...
Codependent No More: How to Stop Controlling Others and Start Caring for Yourself Beyond Codependency: And Getting Better All the Time Codependent No More & Beyond Codependency Journey to the Heart: Daily Meditations on the Path to Freeing Your Soul The New Codependency: Help and Guidance for Today's Generation

“I used to spend so much time reacting and responding to everyone else that my life had no direction. Other people's lives, problems, and wants set the course for my life. Once I realized it was okay for me to think about and identify what I wanted, remarkable things began to take place in my life.” 264 likes
“Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come.

Goals give us direction. They put a powerful force into play on a universal, conscious, and subconscious level. Goals give our life direction.

What would you like to have happen in your life this year? What would you like to do, to accomplish? What good would you like to attract into your life? What particular areas of growth would you like to have happen to you? What blocks, or character defects, would you like to have removed?

What would you like to attain? Little things and big things? Where would you like to go? What would you like to have happen in friendship and love? What would you like to have happen in your family life?

What problems would you like to see solved? What decisions would you like to make? What would you like to happen in your career?

Write it down. Take a piece of paper, a few hours of your time, and write it all down - as an affirmation of you, your life, and your ability to choose. Then let it go.

The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.”
190 likes