Start by marking “The Language of Letting Go” as Want to Read:
The Language of Letting Go

The Language of Letting Go

4.4  ·  Rating Details ·  4,254 Ratings  ·  203 Reviews
For more than a decade, millions of readers have turned to Beattie's classic meditation book, THE LANGUAGE OF LETTING GO, as a wellspring for daily reflection, affirmation, and change. With honesty and encouragement, she reminds readers that each day is an opportunity for renewal.
Published January 1st 1990 by Hazelden Publishing & Educational Services

To ask other readers questions about The Language of Letting Go, please sign up.

Lenette I'd suggest starting with the current date and then eventually you'll get to everything! I like doing this because I write notes and underlines and…moreI'd suggest starting with the current date and then eventually you'll get to everything! I like doing this because I write notes and underlines and it's nice to see a progression during the years :)(less)

Aug 09, 2007 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: issues-self-help
Are you a sucker in relationships? Do you say YES when you mean HELL NO? Do you give in too quickly, make concessions, or end up passive-agressively sucker punching someone psychologically because you're afraid if you tell the truth, stick up for yourself, or express your needs you won't have any friends or lovers?

Read this book.
Kayefex
Feb 26, 2008 Kayefex rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reading date: Ongoing.

I'm not much of a self-help type of person... but this one is an exception. This book is a journal, if you will, of daily thoughts. Schedule 15 minutes each morning to read a selection and write some notes about how it may affect your world and your life. You'll be surprised at the insights you have and the changes you can make in Your World.
Janie
May 22, 2008 Janie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I first met Melody Beattie at about the time that I became acquainted with John Bradshaw and all of the others who had it figured out when it comes to forgiveness and acceptance. I carried a ratty copy of "The Language of Letting Go" with me everywhere I went for many years before I passed it on to a dear friend.

What I learned? Hmmm...to let go and let God run things. The whole thing about me having any control over the big picture was just something that I held onto for way too long. I particu
Hannah Jane
This is the book that propelled me out of a depression many years ago. A special friend encouraged me to write a response to each of the daily meditations, and I learned a lot about myself by the end of the first year, most importantly how to protect love from helplessness. I have been blessed with four copies of this book. And each one eventually journeys into the hands of someone, who like me, struggles to let go. Each time I stumble upon another copy of this book, I take it as a sign that it ...more
Jennifer Holder
Jun 12, 2015 Jennifer Holder rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Given to me by my future mother-in-law, I have found so much solace in this book. Suffering from anxiety and panic disorder, I find this book often can provide my relief in these times, in some crazy way. It's been a blessing with every passage. Not every passage applies to me, but I always take a lesson from each day's motivation.
Julietta
Mar 09, 2008 Julietta rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everybody
This book is definitely a must read for everybody. In life we all experience set backs, trauma, or the unexpected and this book is a guide to help cope through these encounters.
Amy
Sep 08, 2012 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was given to me during a very difficult time in my life. My copy is tagged with countless page markers and is worn from reading it again and again. The book has had such a huge impact on me that I have since bought it for at least a dozen people in the past few years. Melody Beattie offers advice in a non-judgmental, non-preachy voice that resonates with true understanding. Short daily passages focus on a different topic each day, such as Acceptance, Denial, Boundaries, Accepting Our B ...more
Amy Bauer
May 04, 2008 Amy Bauer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Amy by: a good friend
This book is my God book, it never fails that the message is exactly what I need. I read it every day, try to do a little journaling about each meditation, and think on it while I water my plants and talk to and open my mind to listen to God. I first started reading this book in 1997, and find it to be just as helpful today as the first day I opened it. It is a great book for anyone, not just people in recovery.
Feb 17, 2008 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nikki Nielsen
Nov 21, 2011 Nikki Nielsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book has a thought, a meditation, for every day of the year. It is an excellent 12 step resource, a resourceful tool for those finding themselves 'stuck' in codependent relationships, and for everyone else it is a simple reminder that problems are made to be solved. I have been reading this every day for two years and I am a happier healthier person because of it.

It's okay to detach. It's okay to be healthy and whole when a family member or friend isn't. It's okay to be gentle with yoursel
Rebecca
This book is not just fantastic for people who have gone through loss, or trying situations in life but also for just people who want a different perspective on how to deal with all of life's challenges!! I was given this book when my son passed away shortly after he was born and it honestly was the only thing that kept me from immediately breaking down and bursting into tears when I first opened my eyes in the morning, I thank God for this book on a regular basis because it truly does comfort m ...more
Gary
Dec 12, 2012 Gary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyday there's a new entry. This book of daily affirmations, which I've been reading every morning for many years, often offers me the right thing I need to consider at the right time. Over the years, some of the ideas have sunk in, helping make my life more manageable.
Stacey
Not what I was expecting; I couldn't relate to quite a few of the entries because I don't have any addiction problems. But seemed like it would be a good book for people who do, and I think I'll keep it around for awhile since i find it enjoyable to read an entry or two every now and then.
Linda
Oct 01, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Has been a daily read for years! Given to me by a friend...have scooped up editions when I see them at thrift stores or yard sales and give them away...great book! Love it!
Jigme Datse
Jun 10, 2016 Jigme Datse rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in the past. I started to re-read it. Then I moved away from the "impulse" to be working on this kind of thing. I kind of want to burn the damn collection of books related to this.
Patricia
Nov 24, 2007 Patricia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can't say enough good things about this book. Whether or not you or your loved ones are in a codependent relationship, this book has words of wisdom for everyone.
Ann Anderson
Jan 11, 2012 Ann Anderson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One to read and re-read and buy for your bookshelf!
Irvina
Feb 23, 2014 Irvina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful for us Codependent people. Day by day help.
Chrissy Connor
Nov 07, 2014 Chrissy Connor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: always-on-hand
Always on Time!
Stephanie
Dec 27, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books. Almost put it down as currently reading, because its one that you can read day in and day out whenever.
Barbara Plasker
Dec 31, 2016 Barbara Plasker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wisdom for anyone who wants to become their authentic selves

I've been reading the daily meditations in this book for years and always learn new insights that help me grow.
Evelyn Wolff
Dec 26, 2016 Evelyn Wolff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read through these meditations 4 years in a row.
They keep becoming clearer and clearer.
Everytime I read them I am able to absorb something deeper.
Very useful!
Adelcaruso
Jan 01, 2017 Adelcaruso rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Prospective

I read this everyday to get a better prospective of my life. It helps with my journaling. It gives me a goal to focus on for the day.
Alayne
Jan 04, 2017 Alayne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great reference book for self exploration and healing.
Terri
Jan 08, 2017 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book to read if you are in a position of struggle. Learning to let go of things you can not change is a difficult thing for strong people. Read this if you need help.
Adra
Nov 05, 2014 Adra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are books that give guidance on how to deal with life’s trials and tribulations and then there’s The Language of Letting Go! Never in all of my years have I read a guide that focused upon every aspect of what a human may endure. Often, our obstacles are invited by our inner energy which in return, sends them to us. Unfortunately, some are not invited potentially.

Despite of how they come, dealing with painful circumstances inappropriately or, simply choosing not to deal with them ever solve
Danalee
Oct 03, 2008 Danalee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am always reading this book, it is a daily meditation book but I dont usually read it that often I just pick it up every now and then and LOVE what I get out of it. I want to pray for the woman who gave it to me in an amazingly serendipitous moment! I pray for her goodness and joy and enlightenment in her recovery. I dont know what she is recovering from- although I seem to remember her ex-spouse being an alcoholic- but I hope she has been and continues to grow and receive love in her journey ...more
♥ Ibrahim ♥
Sep 13, 2013 ♥ Ibrahim ♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spirituality
This book reads so well as it helps me in practical ways in my spiritual way with the Lord. One thing that the Lord blessed me with through this book was learning that I, Ibrahim, also known as Timothy will not pray because " a good Christian" is supposed to pray. Instead, I pray because I want to "connect" with my Maker, because I want to link my soul to my Source, my Father. It is not because I have to but because I want to. In prayer, I am learning to take care of my emotions, my mind, and my ...more
Eleanor Cowan
Jul 20, 2014 Eleanor Cowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am an atheist, I am aware of the notion of cause and effect, and of the fact that, in general, if you always try to do good in your life, then you will always like yourself. You will have integrity.

At the time I read this book I was a religious person, but even now that I am not, I would still recommend it because of its insistence on self-love and self-respect.

This book emphasizes the notion that people are not to allow themselves to be used because both the victim and the user a
Cara
Jul 27, 2014 Cara added it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: TC
Shelves: life
This book was recommended to me as something to flip open at random and just get some nice life guidance. It turns out it's actually a daily devotional. Also, I hadn't realized it was written by the author of Codependent No More. That was a good book that taught me a lot, but not something I'd want to drag myself through again, frankly.

This one has a lot of God stuff in it, plus the "we" thing that annoyed me so much in the other book. Although I think there's some valuable stuff in here, those
  • One Day at a Time in Al-Anon
  • Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions
  • Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes from, How It Sabotages Our Lives
  • It Will Never Happen to Me!
  • Adult Children of Alcoholics
  • Healing the Child Within: Discovery and Recovery for Adult Children of Dysfunctional Families
  • Living Sober
  • Each Day a New Beginning: Daily Meditations for Women (Hazelden Meditations)
  • Healing the Shame that Binds You
  • Narcotics Anonymous
  • The Courage to Heal Workbook: A Guide for Women and Men Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse
  • Believing In Myself: Daily Meditations for Healing and Building Self-Esteem
  • The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior
  • The Verbally Abusive Relationship: How to Recognize It and How to Respond
  • The Spirituality of Imperfection: Storytelling and the Search for Meaning
Over the years, Melody Beattie has become well-known in the world of self-help literature. After turning away from a life of addiction and suffering, Melody shared her own story in order to help others change theirs. Her overnight sensation, Codependant No More, has been influencing millions for over twenty years. Her passion for writing has resulted in fifteen books, including: Co-Dependants Anon ...more
More about Melody Beattie...

“I used to spend so much time reacting and responding to everyone else that my life had no direction. Other people's lives, problems, and wants set the course for my life. Once I realized it was okay for me to think about and identify what I wanted, remarkable things began to take place in my life.” 367 likes
“Make New Year's goals. Dig within, and discover what you would like to have happen in your life this year. This helps you do your part. It is an affirmation that you're interested in fully living life in the year to come.

Goals give us direction. They put a powerful force into play on a universal, conscious, and subconscious level. Goals give our life direction.

What would you like to have happen in your life this year? What would you like to do, to accomplish? What good would you like to attract into your life? What particular areas of growth would you like to have happen to you? What blocks, or character defects, would you like to have removed?

What would you like to attain? Little things and big things? Where would you like to go? What would you like to have happen in friendship and love? What would you like to have happen in your family life?

What problems would you like to see solved? What decisions would you like to make? What would you like to happen in your career?

Write it down. Take a piece of paper, a few hours of your time, and write it all down - as an affirmation of you, your life, and your ability to choose. Then let it go.

The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.”
283 likes