Start by marking “Bedding the Enemy (McJames, #3)” as Want to Read:
Bedding the Enemy (McJames, #3)

Bedding the Enemy (McJames #3)

The author of "In Bed with a Stranger" sweeps readers back to the Elizabethanera once more in this compelling, exquisitely detailed, and deeply passionatehistorical romance.

Laird Keir McQuade is a newcomer to his title, and has much work before him to restore the McQuade honour. Finding a wife is an excellent start. He's duty-bound to go to court and swear homage to his ki
Published August 1st 2010 by Brava (first published January 1st 2010)

Kathleen
Aug 06, 2010 Kathleen rated it really liked it
This book was a HOT, Easy read for me and I REALLY Liked it a lot. I almost gave it 5 stars because this is the type of book that I love to read most.
The hero was what every woman would dream of a hero being. I liked the heroine too because she had courage. The story line was good and kept me interested.
I do look forwards to the next book in this series.
Splage
Bedding the Enemy, the best book so far of a top notch McJames series by Mary Wine (hopefully more to come in the series). There is nothing better than a highlander story except maybe turning it into to a highlander erotica story, well that is how I would classify Bedding the Enemy. Loaded with chivalrous alphas and plenty of sensual love scenes.

Keir has inherited his newly Laird title because his father and two older brothers were killed in book 2 - bad, bad men. Keir is everything his father

Thenia
Feb 22, 2015 Thenia rated it liked it
Keir McQuade's story that starts with his mission to restore the family name to its former glory and get back in the good graces of the king.

Helena is struggling to find a place in court, where she is supposed to help improve her family's standing. She hates the intrigue and duplicity and Keir McQuade is refreshingly honest and direct.

They make a nice couple that has to overcome its share of obstacles before their eventual happy ending.

The series seems to have ended so there probably won't be a
Chrissy Dionne
Jun 13, 2010 Chrissy Dionne rated it it was amazing
well written snappy historical plot with delightful characters and a bit of mystery thrown in. Keir and Helena brutal honesty (even when it puts their own lives at risk) fascinate me - and I have to admit, I couldn't wait to read about her brother getting what's coming to him. Wonderful sex scenes, spunky characters and emotionally charged. Loved it!
Jojo92
Jul 23, 2015 Jojo92 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
À little bit disappointing, not so much passion, but waiting for catriona and Raelin!
Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb"
Mar 27, 2015 Edwina " I LoveBooks" "Deb" rated it really liked it
GOOD ROMANCE AND LOVE STORY!!

I am giving Bedding the Enemy 4 stars instead of 5. I didn't like what poor Helena endured at the hands of her crazed brother Edmond Knyvett, future Earl of Kenton. Him beating and hitting on her and the attack on her by his crazed friend Lord Ronchford was a bit much. The bases of this story is Helena being munipulated by her brother to use at the Royal Court to obtain and advantage. He is a English Lord and he hate Scots. But this is the Royal Court of King James S
Lauren
Bedding the Enemy
3 Stars

Attempting to restore his family’s honor after his father’s treacherous actions, Keir McQuade travels to London to swear fealty to the newly crowned King James. Once there, Keir is astounded by the deceitful intrigues of court and the garishness of the women. One girl who does catch his eye is Helena Knyvett, the daughter of an English nobleman caught up in the vicious machinations of her ruthless brother. Can Keir and Helena find love amidst the amidst the treachery and
Fernanda
:) 3.5*

gostei! esta historia para mim teve mais emoção, que as anteriores.
isto porque os personagens, têm uma maior quantidade de "drama" a envolve-los.
dramas familiares, familiares com alguma dose de "loucura" e ambição; e que sujeitam negativamente a personagem principal da historia (aquele irmão dela, é horrivel) :)

com partes da historia que nos deixam com a respiração em suspenso, o que torna o virar de páginas compulsivo.
de resto é uma historia tipica de "Highlanders" onde a velha quezilia
Karen
Aug 03, 2010 Karen rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes a good Scottish romance
I just love reading a romance involving a gorgeous Scottish Laird and the latest from Mary Wine does not disappoint. Mary Wine has become one of my all time favourite authors. If you have read Mary's novel "In the Warrior's Bed" then you will recall Keir McQuade, the only honourable brother amongst the McQuades. "Bedding the Enemy" tells the tale of Keir and Helena Knyvett, daughter of English aristocracy. I don't know what it is about Mary Wine's style of writing but it always makes me feel a ...more
Jackie
3rd time was definetly the charm, totally loved this from start to finish.

Keir and Helena are both easy to like and well suited as they both have a sense of humor that helps them through some rough spots in their relationship.

The way in which the two meet is breathtakingly romantic and the passion they share is sexy and raw.

This was such a fast moving read that could not believe turned final page when it ended!
Claudia
It was good, just not as good as I hoped. both characters are very likeable but somehow it just did not really catch me

Nevertheless I am looking forward to other books in this series
Azwildcat * reads too much romance *
Histoire originale, bons personnages
Susan
Laird Keir McQuade and Lady Helena Knyvett
1604, England and Scotland

An average entry in Mary Wine's romances with a Scottish flair. This time, although the story revolves around a Scottish laird, the entire story takes place in the royal court in London.

Laird Keir heads to London soon after succeeding to the role of laird of his clan in order to prove his loyalty to the king and regain some respect for his family name. There he is turned off by the falseness and superficiality of the court and
Roxie
Jul 19, 2015 Roxie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Stay away from the Audible version - REALLY BAD Narration :-(

It breaks my heart to rate this book so low. The reason is because I chose the Audible version and it was pretty awful -Not because of the story but because I couldn't get past the almost robotic and pretty inconsistent voice of the narrator. The voices meant to be Scottish sounded Irish or Cornish. For example, Keir's voice sounded higher than what you'd imagine a strong rugged highlander to sound like. It was tough to get through. T
♥ Vonda M. Reid ♥
Overall Rating: 3.75 // Action: 3 / Emotion: 3.75 / Romance: 3 / Sensuous: 4 / Intrigue: 3.5 / Medieval Flavor: 3 // Humor: 2 / Tears: 0

Bedding The Enemy is a story of "love at first." The McQuade Clan's new laird, (third-born son) Keir, must go to London to swear fealty to King James Stuart in an effort to restore the clan's honor and promote peace. Keir spots the tall, modest Helena Knyvett across the crowded room and decides he has found the woman who will be his wife. Helena's evil, power-
Sabrina (Soter) Sally
"-Qualunque intrigo ci ritroveremo ad affrontare, Helena, sappi che non mi arrenderò. Nulla potrà dividerci. Lotterò fino all’ultimo respiro, lo giuro. - Lei tese le mani e strinse quelle ampie spalle. Keir la strinse nel suo abbraccio"

Ultimo capitolo della serie dei McJames, per me è anche il migliore dei tre nonostante un finale un po' affrettato! ;D Avevamo già conosciuto Keir nel libro precedente, e si era distinto per essere l'unico parente di Bronwyr ad agire con onore e dignità. Ora che è
Vashti
Jun 07, 2013 Vashti rated it liked it
Overall this was a decent read, it wasn't the best Highlander story that I've read, but it certainly wasn't the worst by far. I loved Keir, he was very Alpha an very protective and I really like that about him. The chemistry between him and Helena is pretty believable, my complaint is that Helena was so timid, as this is the life she was taught and groomed for all of her life and then, all of a sudden she gets a backbone. okay as if, but what really blew my mind was after the dirty and ...more
Cherie
Oct 17, 2012 Cherie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book
The story starts out with two people who felt attraction immediately from across a room. Keir is more comfortable with his attraction to Helena than she is to her attraction to him. Both of them like that the other is not pretentious as the courtiers that surround King James in London. Keir is confident and arrogant with an honorable rather than bullying presence. Keir and Helena were a good match. She deserved him and he deserved her. Imagine spending a month on a honeymoon locked together in ...more
Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill
Aug 06, 2012 Kristi Hudecek-Ashwill rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. It was fast and easy to read. The title was a bit misleading, though. I thought the book was going to be sort of a love-hate thing between Helena and Keir but it wasn't like that at all. You'll have to read it to find out who the real enemy was. Good read!

One thing I'd like to mention that most people don't think is all that important. I like a lot of detail when I read books. I like to know what these people look like and since I don't have a top of the line reader (
Joan
Dec 13, 2013 Joan rated it it was amazing
I am seriously going to miss reading this series and hope Mary Wine continues to write more with these characters in mind.

What I really find appealing about The McJames series is the way she moves quickly through the story. She manages to keep the flow moving without losing any of the periods historical information. It remains in the foreground as much a part of the character as the protagonists and others.

I also love the conversations between the hero and heroine. It is humorous and entertaini
Cindy Woods
Pretty good

I did like this story, the plot and characters, but sometimes there is just too much writing...It makes a part of the plot drag out for no reason or reiterates the same thing to the point I'd ad nauseam. It would be a much better book to have just gotten to the point in portions of the story. I would recommend this book with the caveats that you may find yourself skimming over unnecessary paragraphs that do nothing to add to the book.
Sandra
Jun 19, 2011 Sandra rated it liked it
3.5

I have to grant to Mary Wine that no one like her, knows the way to immerse you in the era and the region. Hers accurate historical details about customs, behaviors and places, make you feel like being there.

It was a good one, but I guess I was in no mood for to many sex-scenes, so I found myself skipping pages or putting down the book for doing/reading other things, instead.
Rachel
Aug 08, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2010
I read the first two in this series because they were free books on my ereader. At this point I continue to read because I like to know what happens to the other characters - which is probably a sign of a decent author that she can make me want to know. This book is a light read and I finished it in a day. If you are looking for something that does not require a lot of thought this is it!
Heliga
Apr 11, 2013 Heliga rated it liked it
2.5 stars.

This started out as more of an "I liked it" and ended up more of "it was okay" after I started getting... bored? towards the end. I had to force myself to read the last few chapters, which isn't the best sign.

But still, it wasn't offensively bad, and the characters felt somewhat real.
Elle
OMG, I love this book!
It's mainly told by Helena, an English girl who comes from a very rich and powerful family. However, this does not matter to Helena. All she wants is to be free of her horrible brother Edmund, all Edmund wants is for Helena to be one of the Queen's ladies in waiting, all
Margo
Jun 09, 2016 Margo rated it really liked it
A Highland Laird and an English Noblewoman at the English court. Throw in a scoundrel of a brother, Highland honour, attempted rape, murder, the Tower of London and high stakes card games. It's obvious the course of true love will not run smoothly. A good read.
tess75
Aug 11, 2015 tess75 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plutôt 3,5/5
Cette fois-ci le roman se déroule à la cour en Angleterre. Keir est ici différent par rapport à ce que j'en avais vu dans le tome 2 (moins dur, plus tendre). L'histoire se laisse lire. Je suis par contre curieuse de découvrir l'histoire de la pauvre Raelin.
Tracey
Jul 23, 2012 Tracey rated it it was amazing
This was a nice erotica historical romance read. It had a very good story that kept me very interested and lots of good loven ;o)
I wish I did read these in order but I didn't check to see if others came before this. This is the 3rd so I guess I have to back track!
Happy reading!!
Kristina
Jun 10, 2012 Kristina rated it it was amazing
I adore this author. You can feel the emotion if it were your own. Plots that have you itching for the next page.
  • Claimed By a Scottish Lord (Mystical Bliss, #2)
  • Seducing the Highlander
  • The Devil She Knows (Devil, #6)
  • Good Girls Don't
  • Seduced by a Highlander (Children of the Mist, #2)
  • Desiring the Highlander (The McTiernays, #3)
  • Love, Life and Linguine
  • Undone (Brava Historical Romance)
  • Illumination (Curse of The Bond Riders, #3)
  • The Sinner (Return of the Highlanders, #2)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • The Notorious Scoundrel (The Hawkins Brothers #2)
  • Defiant (MacKinnon's Rangers, #3)
  • Risk Everything (The Blackthorn Trilogy, #3)
  • Big Sky Standoff
  • Lake Magic
  • Highlander Unchained (MacLeods of Skye Trilogy, #3)
  • Deadly Little Secrets
207379
Mary Wine has written over twenty novels that take her readers from the pages of history to the far reaches of space. Recent winner of a 2008 EPPIE Award for erotic western romance, her book LET ME LOVE YOU was quoted “Not to be missed…” by Lora Leigh, New York Times best-selling author.

When she’s not abusing a laptop, she spends time with her sewing machines…all of them! Making historical garment
More about Mary Wine...

McJames (3 books)
  • In Bed With A Stranger (McJames, #1)
  • In The Warrior's Bed (McJames, #2)