Start by marking “The Great Husband Hunt” as Want to Read:
The Great Husband Hunt

The Great Husband Hunt

3.24  ·  Rating Details  ·  283 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
From the author of The Future Homemakers of America comes the hilarious and moving story of one unstoppable woman's unforgettable ride through an ever-changing century.... What hope is there for Poppy Minkel? She has kinky hair, big ears, skin that's too sallow, and an appetite for fun. Poppy's mother, Dora, despairs of ever finding her a husband, despite the lure of the f ...more
Published December 14th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Great Husband Hunt, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Great Husband Hunt

Cynthia
I really give this book a 3 1/2. The high parts of this rating I reserve towards the beginning of the book, but as the work progressed I became disappointed with the character of Poppy and the plot.

I initially loved this book. Hearing about Poppy's ackward appearance, her mother's shallow obsession with "fixing" her daughter for the "great husband hunt", and Poppy's rebellious nature made me laugh. I thought this book was going to be all about her mother's pushing for this perfect life and Popp
Alvin
Apr 09, 2014 Alvin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun romp. Perfect diversion for a long airplane ride or bout with the flu.
Dorothy
If I'd rated this book halfway through, I might have given it four stars - but I did feel a bit let down by the last few chapters.

Poppy isn't a particularly likeable person, yet the author manages to make us stick with her anyway. She grows up in a fairly loveless house where she's poorly educated and poorly informed. She doesn't seem too bright either! The result is that she stumbles through adult life with only a hazy understanding of the people and events around her - which can be quite comi
Lobo
Apr 30, 2015 Lobo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poppy Minkel butuska, naív kislányként indul, de később eléggé öntörvényű, önző világi nő lesz belőle. Ennyi a jellemfejlődés. Szórakoztató, egyszer olvasható, gyorsan felejthető regény. Az első szám egyes személyben elmesélt történet azért nagyon messze van Nick Hornbytól és Helen Fieldingtől, pedig az Independent velük ajánlotta, én is ezért csaptam le rá, amikor megláttam a könyvtárban (még szerencse, hogy nem vettem meg). De ehhez képest csalódás volt a mű, pedig jól indult, érdekesen. Talán ...more
Sarah O'Brien
Oct 29, 2011 Sarah O'Brien rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
Poppy Minkel is a mustard heiress. And after spending her childhood under the thumb of strict vanity and duty by her mother Dora and Aunt Fish, she is all too prepared to spend her fortune doing whatever she wishes.

After the tragedy of the sinking of the Titanic, Poppy's feminine relatives oppress Poppy even more in their own unique ways. Her mother Dora devises a headband to flatten Poppy's ears against her head. But at least Poppy has plenty of fun colors to choose from. She's also forced to r
Jun 02, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Poppy Minkel comes of age in the last years of the Great War, her father having died aboard the Titanic. She is from the great Minkel Mustard family and partial heiress to a fantastic mustard fortune. And her mother and aunt would like to see nothing less than her married off safely. But Poppy has other plans. She longs to go on adventures and be a self-defined and independent woman like her spinster aunt. She joins the war effort and meets other independent women and begins a life filled with r ...more
Lanette
May 23, 2015 Lanette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I did not like this book as much as I DID like "The Future Homemakers of America." There was no endearing or redeeming quality about Poppy Minkel... as soon as she met Gilbert (a SIN that Gilbert Blythe has to share a name with him), the book went downhill. And fast. It's been taking up valuable space on my bookshelf for years. Wish I would have just donated it a long time ago.
Emily
Mar 01, 2013 Emily rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book started out great. The writing is excellent, and I really got a feel for the life and times our main character Poppy lived in. And in the beginning, I liked Poppy too! She was naive, awkward, rebellious, and determined to be as modern as possible. Instead of growing into an independent, modern woman, she lives the life of a spoiled, shallow, insensitive rich girl who spends her time partying, blowing off her family, having an affair, abandoning her children, and generally just being se ...more
Nicole
Apr 18, 2008 Nicole rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
This is a fictional autobiography of Poppy Minkel, the heiress to Minkel's Mighty Fine Mustard. Poppy depicts her world with a disarming bluntness and a good laugh e.g. "No one can be expected to look at difficult art without a glass in one's hand".

Poppy's "memoir" begins with losing her father on the Titanic, barrels through WWI, the 1920s, the 1930s, WWII, the 1960s and ends with her observations in the late 1970s. Poppy's life proceeds at a dizzying clip. In contrast is Murry, her younger st
Kristin Dow
May 25, 2015 Kristin Dow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved this writer's style. She did a great job of fashioning a sheltered, enormously flawed, yet sympathetic heroine; there's an art to that. I remained engaged all the way through. Scenes painted in an interesting manner. Want to read more of her work!
Julia
Sep 22, 2010 Julia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like funny books
I enjoyed this book because I found myself laughing out loud at the absurd twists and people throughout this book. Poppy was the poor little rich girl who definitely had a right to some issues. Her father drowns on the Titanic, Her mother and aunt berate and belittle her, and her sister is the family favorite. Laurie Graham puts a gloss over everything -- both good things and bad things. Poppy abandons her children, Poppy gets beaten by Gil, and it all gets the same light touch. Poppy becomes mo ...more
Kate
Jul 02, 2015 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember liking this, but not reading the whole thing (although I'm sure I did). Jewish, rich, eccentric lady, Poppy.
Vicki Fisher
It started okay but dragged on for far too long. It is one of the few books I regret the time spent reading
Diana B
Jun 10, 2011 Diana B rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
To be upfront, I didn't finish this book. I grabbed it at the library because I couldn't get the one I wanted. Never a good formula for me.

This told the story of Poppy who came from privilege but had terrible family relationships. The first half of the story (all I could stomach) was set at the turn of the century and during her coming of age. In a nutshell she was ignorant and self serving in all she did. In her defense she had no examples to be any other way.

I just hate how an author can wri
Barb
Mar 23, 2016 Barb rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lighthearted but kind of fun. Not much to the characters either.
Pbwritr
Feb 09, 2010 Pbwritr rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: frothy-novels
Not the rollicking ride I expected. A rather sardonic view of marriage and womanhood in the first half of the 20th century, with an emphasis on the earlier years. A very unflattering portrait of Poppy throughout--rich girl who goes through life discarding children, feeling she's a victim, throwing her money around, believing she's a modern woman. Well, she was an aviatrix, which seemed out of place. The writing was a bit stilted and too elementary. It never seemed to get very deep, but maybe tha ...more
Carol
Feb 07, 2015 Carol rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There were some funny parts, but mostly I disliked the main character.
Marisa
May 07, 2009 Marisa rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book has all the elements I love -- lots of historical bits weaved in, portraits of female life during the 1920's & 30's, great cities as backdrops, rich upperclass people and their quirky ways, and of course an eccentric & lovable main character.

Or at least she started out that way. The main character slowly ruined the whole book for me because although she started out lovable, she progressively got mean and selfish. It was disappointing.

Sharon
Jan 20, 2010 Sharon rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
The jacket blurb described this book as "wildly funny," which is quite an exaggeration. I found the main character, Poppy, disturbingly selfish, naive, and willfully ignorant. The story spans the 20th century, from the wreck of the Titantic to about the late eighties, but history is given only passing attention. The likable characters were given short shrift. I can't say I hated it, but Poppy's complete lack of remorse left a bad taste in my mouth.
Kim
Aug 12, 2012 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
The cover photo is so deceiving that I was confused when I started reading this book. The book starts with the sinking of the Titanic, but the cover looks more like the 40's. The story follows one woman throughout her life. It's at times tedious and at times quite good. It's somewhat predictable, and I didn't always like the author's voice. It was an OK read, nothing remarkable, but solid and interesting.
Samantha
Jun 05, 2011 Samantha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worst title and cover ever. I picked this up in the neighborhood free box, and it was a very light, enjoyable read. I guess I'm pretty forgiving, because I found the main character decently likable. So, she was selfish, but her kids were a bore, I understand where she was coming from. I liked the simple style of writing well enough; it went fast and is a refreshing read between heavier, more serious books.
Jul 10, 2009 Jennifer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book until about halfway through. The author really hurt this story by turning the main character into someone who was so selfish. I gave the book four stars because aside from the main character the author did manage to create a great cast of characters, including Murray and his haiku writing.
Consetta
I was bored w/ this book. I also would loose track of characters and Poppy (main character) got on my nerves. This is probably one of the worst books I've ever read, if I would allow myself to quit reading a book once I've started it...this would be one of those books. I didn't even want to give it 1 star!!!!
Angie
Feb 09, 2010 Angie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It could have been much better than it was. I just didn't care for the main character, Poppy Minkel. That is, I liked her as a child, but I thought she turned into a selfish and unsympathetic adult. I couldn't believe that Poppy the child and Poppy the adult were the same person. I kept asking myself, "Who IS this?"
Lisa Murray
Jan 01, 2014 Lisa Murray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
engaging main character but as she grew up the story moved from something I was experiencing to reporting…bleah, unfinished
Pam
Jan 02, 2008 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone over 16
Shelves: haveread
just a great light novel perfect for curling up in front of the fire with. poppy, the heroine, hasn't a clue about real life and just la-de-da's her way through. it starts with the sinking of the titantic and ends somewhere after wwII. i loved it.
Tyra
Jan 25, 2011 Tyra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Meh...I think I read The Future Homemakers of America and liked it alot but this book didn't do a thing for me. I found the writing simplistic,none of the characters particularly likeable, and the story didn't send me either.
Stacy
Oct 13, 2011 Stacy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I love this author!

However, this was not my fav book, at all. There were very few likable female characters in the entire book. I was glad it was over, and not at all concerned that some questions were never answered.
Mary
Aug 25, 2012 Mary rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
This was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted read after I quit reading Olive Kitteridge. Instead, it was depressing to read about a young woman who squandered her fortune and her purity. Not going to finish it.
Rf
Dec 11, 2008 Rf rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Again I had trouble liking the main character, just kinda turned me off. The character was well written just had a tough personality, great story taking us from The Titanic through the depression and on.
  • Who You Know
  • Strapless
  • Does She or Doesn't She?
  • A Man Most Worthy
  • The Last Nightingale: A Novel of Suspense
  • Fashionistas
  • Way Past Cool
  • The Complete Stories
  • The Accidental Virgin
  • The Sleep-Over Artist: Fiction
  • Reason To Believe (Believe Trilogy, #2)
  • Something for Nothing
  • Wyrmhole (Jack Stein Series #1)
  • The Quality of Life Report
  • Finding Ian
  • Earthquake at Dawn
  • Love Among the Ruins: A Novel
  • The Novel 100: A Ranking Of The Greatest Novels Of All Time
Laurie Graham was first published at the advanced age of 40. She is the author of THE TEN O'CLOCK HORSES, PERFECT MERINGUES, THE DRESS CIRCLE, DOG DAYS GLENN MILLER NIGHTS, THE FUTURE HOMEMAKERS OF AMERICA, THE UNFORTUNATES, MR STARLIGHT, GONE WITH THE WINDSORS, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING KENNEDY, LIFE ACCORDING TO LUBKA, AT SEA, A HUMBLE COMPANION, THE LIAR'S DAUGHTER and THE GRAND DUCHESS OF NOWHER ...more
More about Laurie Graham...