The Great Husband Hunt

The Great Husband Hunt

3.22 of 5 stars 3.22  ·  rating details  ·  227 ratings  ·  37 reviews
From the author of The Future Homemakers of America comes the hilarious and moving story of one unstoppable woman's unforgettable ride through an ever-changing century.... What hope is there for Poppy Minkel? She has kinky hair, big ears, skin that's too sallow, and an appetite for fun. Poppy's mother, Dora, despairs of ever finding her a husband, despite the lure of the f...more
Published December 14th 2008 by Grand Central Publishing (first published October 1st 2003)

Cynthia
I really give this book a 3 1/2. The high parts of this rating I reserve towards the beginning of the book, but as the work progressed I became disappointed with the character of Poppy and the plot.

I initially loved this book. Hearing about Poppy's ackward appearance, her mother's shallow obsession with "fixing" her daughter for the "great husband hunt", and Poppy's rebellious nature made me laugh. I thought this book was going to be all about her mother's pushing for this perfect life and Popp...more
Alvin
A fun romp. Perfect diversion for a long airplane ride or bout with the flu.
Sarah O'Brien
Poppy Minkel is a mustard heiress. And after spending her childhood under the thumb of strict vanity and duty by her mother Dora and Aunt Fish, she is all too prepared to spend her fortune doing whatever she wishes.

After the tragedy of the sinking of the Titanic, Poppy's feminine relatives oppress Poppy even more in their own unique ways. Her mother Dora devises a headband to flatten Poppy's ears against her head. But at least Poppy has plenty of fun colors to choose from. She's also forced to r...more
Poppy Minkel comes of age in the last years of the Great War, her father having died aboard the Titanic. She is from the great Minkel Mustard family and partial heiress to a fantastic mustard fortune. And her mother and aunt would like to see nothing less than her married off safely. But Poppy has other plans. She longs to go on adventures and be a self-defined and independent woman like her spinster aunt. She joins the war effort and meets other independent women and begins a life filled with r...more
Emily
This book started out great. The writing is excellent, and I really got a feel for the life and times our main character Poppy lived in. And in the beginning, I liked Poppy too! She was naive, awkward, rebellious, and determined to be as modern as possible. Instead of growing into an independent, modern woman, she lives the life of a spoiled, shallow, insensitive rich girl who spends her time partying, blowing off her family, having an affair, abandoning her children, and generally just being se...more
Nicole
This is a fictional autobiography of Poppy Minkel, the heiress to Minkel's Mighty Fine Mustard. Poppy depicts her world with a disarming bluntness and a good laugh e.g. "No one can be expected to look at difficult art without a glass in one's hand".

Poppy's "memoir" begins with losing her father on the Titanic, barrels through WWI, the 1920s, the 1930s, WWII, the 1960s and ends with her observations in the late 1970s. Poppy's life proceeds at a dizzying clip. In contrast is Murry, her younger st...more
Julia
Sep 22, 2010 Julia rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who like funny books
I enjoyed this book because I found myself laughing out loud at the absurd twists and people throughout this book. Poppy was the poor little rich girl who definitely had a right to some issues. Her father drowns on the Titanic, Her mother and aunt berate and belittle her, and her sister is the family favorite. Laurie Graham puts a gloss over everything -- both good things and bad things. Poppy abandons her children, Poppy gets beaten by Gil, and it all gets the same light touch. Poppy becomes mo...more
Vicki Fisher
It started okay but dragged on for far too long. It is one of the few books I regret the time spent reading
Diana B
To be upfront, I didn't finish this book. I grabbed it at the library because I couldn't get the one I wanted. Never a good formula for me.

This told the story of Poppy who came from privilege but had terrible family relationships. The first half of the story (all I could stomach) was set at the turn of the century and during her coming of age. In a nutshell she was ignorant and self serving in all she did. In her defense she had no examples to be any other way.

I just hate how an author can wri...more
Pbwritr
Not the rollicking ride I expected. A rather sardonic view of marriage and womanhood in the first half of the 20th century, with an emphasis on the earlier years. A very unflattering portrait of Poppy throughout--rich girl who goes through life discarding children, feeling she's a victim, throwing her money around, believing she's a modern woman. Well, she was an aviatrix, which seemed out of place. The writing was a bit stilted and too elementary. It never seemed to get very deep, but maybe tha...more
Marisa
This book has all the elements I love -- lots of historical bits weaved in, portraits of female life during the 1920's & 30's, great cities as backdrops, rich upperclass people and their quirky ways, and of course an eccentric & lovable main character.

Or at least she started out that way. The main character slowly ruined the whole book for me because although she started out lovable, she progressively got mean and selfish. It was disappointing.

Sharon
The jacket blurb described this book as "wildly funny," which is quite an exaggeration. I found the main character, Poppy, disturbingly selfish, naive, and willfully ignorant. The story spans the 20th century, from the wreck of the Titantic to about the late eighties, but history is given only passing attention. The likable characters were given short shrift. I can't say I hated it, but Poppy's complete lack of remorse left a bad taste in my mouth.
Kim
The cover photo is so deceiving that I was confused when I started reading this book. The book starts with the sinking of the Titanic, but the cover looks more like the 40's. The story follows one woman throughout her life. It's at times tedious and at times quite good. It's somewhat predictable, and I didn't always like the author's voice. It was an OK read, nothing remarkable, but solid and interesting.
Samantha
Worst title and cover ever. I picked this up in the neighborhood free box, and it was a very light, enjoyable read. I guess I'm pretty forgiving, because I found the main character decently likable. So, she was selfish, but her kids were a bore, I understand where she was coming from. I liked the simple style of writing well enough; it went fast and is a refreshing read between heavier, more serious books.
I really enjoyed this book until about halfway through. The author really hurt this story by turning the main character into someone who was so selfish. I gave the book four stars because aside from the main character the author did manage to create a great cast of characters, including Murray and his haiku writing.
Consetta
I was bored w/ this book. I also would loose track of characters and Poppy (main character) got on my nerves. This is probably one of the worst books I've ever read, if I would allow myself to quit reading a book once I've started it...this would be one of those books. I didn't even want to give it 1 star!!!!
Angie
It could have been much better than it was. I just didn't care for the main character, Poppy Minkel. That is, I liked her as a child, but I thought she turned into a selfish and unsympathetic adult. I couldn't believe that Poppy the child and Poppy the adult were the same person. I kept asking myself, "Who IS this?"
Lisa Murray
engaging main character but as she grew up the story moved from something I was experiencing to reporting…bleah, unfinished
Pam
Jan 02, 2008 Pam rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone over 16
Shelves: haveread
just a great light novel perfect for curling up in front of the fire with. poppy, the heroine, hasn't a clue about real life and just la-de-da's her way through. it starts with the sinking of the titantic and ends somewhere after wwII. i loved it.
Tyra
Meh...I think I read The Future Homemakers of America and liked it alot but this book didn't do a thing for me. I found the writing simplistic,none of the characters particularly likeable, and the story didn't send me either.
Stacy
I love this author!

However, this was not my fav book, at all. There were very few likable female characters in the entire book. I was glad it was over, and not at all concerned that some questions were never answered.
Mary
This was supposed to be a fun, light-hearted read after I quit reading Olive Kitteridge. Instead, it was depressing to read about a young woman who squandered her fortune and her purity. Not going to finish it.
Rf
Again I had trouble liking the main character, just kinda turned me off. The character was well written just had a tough personality, great story taking us from The Titanic through the depression and on.
Gaurett
I liked this book because it was a poor little rich girl story, from the prospective of a rich Jewish American girl during the first and second world wars. Interesting characters makes it an easy read
Jessica
midway thru I thought I couldn't finish as I just did not connect with the main character, but I pushed thru and ended up enjoying the drama of someone else's life...
Kagama-the Literaturevixen
The blurb promises us a funny heartwarming story about the main characters quest to find a husband.What we really get is the depressing tale of a womans life.
Vixb
I loved that this story spanned the years since the early 1900's to today. Very humorous and the details about each new era were great.
Denise Smith
When her father goes down with the Titanic…

Wanted to shake some sense into this heroine! However, it was a good read.

Sep. 2004

Jeanine
Don't let the title stop you from reading it! The book sneaks in a little history lesson, but makes it fun. :-)
Heather
loved this book! laughed out loud the whole way through. so hard to believe how one can actually be so selfish!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Laurie Graham was first published at the advanced age of 40. She is the author of THE TEN O'CLOCK HORSES, PERFECT MERINGUES, THE DRESS CIRCLE, DOG DAYS GLENN MILLER NIGHTS, THE FUTURE HOMEMAKERS OF AMERICA, THE UNFORTUNATES, MR STARLIGHT, GONE WITH THE WINDSORS, THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING KENNEDY, LIFE ACCORDING TO LUBKA, and AT SEA.

Mother of four and grandmother of nine, Laurie also writes and appea...more
More about Laurie Graham...
The Future Homemakers of America The Importance of Being Kennedy Gone with the Windsors The Unfortunates Mr Starlight