Start by marking “The Quick Python Book” as Want to Read:
The Quick Python Book

The Quick Python Book

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  9 reviews
The Quick Python Book, Second Edition, is a clear, concise introduction to Python 3, aimed at programmers new to Python. This updated edition includes all the changes in Python 3, itself a significant shift from earlier versions of Python.

The book begins with basic but useful programs that teach the core features of syntax, control flow, and data structures. It then moves
Paperback, Second Edition, 367 pages
Published January 22nd 2010 by Manning Publications (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Quick Python Book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Quick Python Book

Jon
Two things of note for this review: first, I used this book for a class, and secondly I went into this with some very minimal familiarity with Java, C++ and C#.

First off, I'm not sure if it's possible to discuss this book without discussing the Python language itself, so here it is: for the first few chapters of the book found myself exclaiming two or three times per chapter, "What sorcery is this?", followed by something along the lines of "so if the code weighs as much as a duck... it's a witc
Tom
Sep 25, 2013 Tom rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: beginners with python
Shelves: python
After trying different books for python (Think python, Dive into python 3 and Head first python) I've find this one the best both as learning book as well as reference book.
Part 2 is very organized tutorial for the language. It contains most of the essentials and will give you the feeling that you can continue learning by your own (or with more specialized books/tutorials).
Part 3 is much less cohesive then part 2. It seems that the chapter about regular expressions could get into part 2 but the
Jon Gauthier
Apr 01, 2012 Jon Gauthier rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Beginning programmers
Shelves: programming
I misled myself when buying this book, thinking that I could use it to convince myself that time spent coding Python was worth time away from learning Clojure, Haskell, et al. This book was much more beginner-oriented than I expected, and didn't really provide the evidence I was looking for. A few of the final chapters provided some information about metaclasses, abstract base classes, and special methods that was useful to me. I was disappointed to not find many other details on what makes Pyth ...more
Manuel Antão

Wonderful combination of introduction to the language as well as a second pass that goes into all things Python in-depth.

I particularly enjoyed the author's suggestions regarding Python style, programming and testing practices, and sage advice in the big finish: the Zen of Python.

It won't turn into a Pythonista, but it provides a good start.
Headsink headsink
Maybe beginners with no programming background or have little experience can appreciate this, but if you are familiar with other programming language and paradigm, understood the syntax and know few differences in coding from my experience this book brought me nowhere. Too bulky, I recommend Python Pocket Reference and Head First Python, both by O'Reilly.
Will
Aug 02, 2008 Will rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people with old versions of Python
This was a well-written introduction to Python programming when it was released. It had little competition at the time and stood out among the pack. Now it's vastly outdated (8 years old) and in desperate need of an update. The text does not wear well with age.
Ron Lunde
A good first book on Python, with clear descriptions and a logical structure.
Nicholas Quirk
It wasn't that quick...
Norah Hogoboom
Norah Hogoboom marked it as to-read
May 27, 2015
Jan Kadlec
Jan Kadlec is currently reading it
May 14, 2015
Tim
Tim marked it as to-read
May 19, 2015
Randy
Randy is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2015
Homaid
Homaid is currently reading it
Apr 05, 2015
Naveen
Naveen marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2015
Joel Argo
Joel Argo marked it as to-read
May 06, 2015
Philip Shing
Philip Shing marked it as to-read
Jan 14, 2015
Chris Conklin
Chris Conklin marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Brainx
Brainx marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Python in a Nutshell
  • Python Essential Reference (Developer's Library)
  • Python Pocket Reference
  • Essential System Administration
  • Gray Hat Python: Python Programming for Hackers and Reverse Engineers
  • C++ Primer

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »