Start by marking “The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)” as Want to Read:
The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)
Preview

The Black Dragon (Dragon #2)

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  1,223 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Scorching new romance from the author of Dragon Heat. When Saba Watanabe is attacked by white dragons in human form on the streets of San Francisco, the only man she can turn to for help is the dangerously seductive Malcolm, a black dragon who once made Saba his love slave. But it's Saba who must use her rising powers to save Malcolm-and all of his kind.
Published November 6th 2007 by Berkley Sensation

To ask other readers questions about The Black Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Dragon

Cindyg
Just as I expected...this book was even better than the first. Malcolm is a hottie and I got to really like him as the story evolved. Wow who would have thought dragons could be so hot, fierce yes, but hunk o lious not. But our Malcolm is definitely an awesome character. Saba was incredible as well. Loads of action and hot hot passion. I also love it when the characters carry over from the previous stories and they do just that here. And babies are the icing on the cake. Good job Allyson. Recomm ...more
Elizabeth
Book 2 helps us to find closure to a "side" love story between Malcolm, a healing and bookish Black Dragon and Saba, a half Japanese witch who is just coming into her powers. We also see the continuing love of Caleb and Lisa come to fruition and we meet some really great supes, who help Saba and Caleb protect the book of names from the dragon archives (if you know a Dragon's name you can control it).
Margaret

*Scorching new romance from the author of Dragon Heat.*

### About the Author

Award-winning author Allyson James writes romances as both Allyson James and Jennifer Ashley. She has lived in the So

Felicia (Ferishia)
This is the second book in the Dragon series and it's about Malcolm, the Black Dragon. We met Malcolm in Dragon Heat. From the start, he seemed like an evil dragon, since he and Caleb were always fighting when they confronted each other. But then there was a event that changed both Caleb and Malcolm and they ended up fighting on the same side. Through out this, Saba, a powerful witch who Malcolm gave his dragonmark to, was compelled to help Malcolm.

In this story, Saba once again finds her self
☂ ℬrandi

This books begins 8 months after the first ends. Solitude loving, black dragon Malcolm is back in Dragonspace and is the guardian of the Dragon archive. He hasn't come back to San Francisco or been in contact with anyone. Saba lives in his old apartment and works at the job he got her. She still thinks of him often. When she's attacked by a Frost dragon she summons Malcolm for help. He sticks around to assist in locating and neutralizing the evil white dragon. He apparently decides immediately
MaggieReadsRom
The story of Malcolm and Saba started in Dragon Heat as a subplot but one with a real potential and this potential was certainly met beyond expectation in their own book.
I just love it when expectations created in a first book of a series are adequately met in the following installment and Allyson James did just that with this book.
In book 1 of the series we meet both Malcolm and Saba and you just feel the have a story between them that, if well-written, will have a great impact on yo
Marta Cox
I bought this book a couple of years ago and for some reason never read it, now I have rectified that mistake. I had forgotten just how much I love this authors world of dragon shifters and their struggles with love. This is the follow up to Dragon Heat where we first encountered the black dragon Malcolm and to be truthful he wasn't very nice. This time round we get to see a whole different side of him and whilst he's not the most romantic or even sympathetic character it's nice to see a kinder ...more
Amy Keeley
Jul 10, 2012 Amy Keeley rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of spicy romances with shape-shifting dragons
Shelves: dragons
The Black Dragon is the second in a series of books, and focuses on a black dragon named Malcom and a human witch named Saba. Malcolm's power has been fading and he thinks it might be tied to an attack by a white dragon on his former minion and sex partner, Saba.

I have to admit, I liked this story. There's a number of good things in this novel. The world-building is interesting. The setting is clear, both when the characters are in San Francisco and in Dragonwhatever (couldn't remember the name
Minna
Meeeeeeeeeeeh. it was OK, I GUESS. Nothing to write home about. I don't think I'll bother to track down #3, since this one (#2) was very repetitively modeled on #1. Each person/dragon/etc is more attractive and impressively be-powered than the next. The only character I liked was the one that was neither human nor dragon, and I liked him enough that this book, possibly undeservedly, is getting two stars instead of one. Also, if I read "[fill in the blank], my witch," one more time I swear I'll b ...more
Missyb
plenty of action and humor. This one is about Malcolm (black dragon) & Saba (witch). It's about 8 months or so after the first book. Lisa & Caleb are in this one. Saba is attacked by a white dragon and calls Malcolm to help her. He returns and saves her. They are still attracted to each other but still fighting it. He has two issues to deal with, the white dragon and his power drain. Alex (Imp) joins the cast in this book. He's a pretty good character. Malcolm's assistant is a sprite and ...more
Timmysparks
I loved this book very much. It was even better than the first. I loved how the characters from Dragon Heat and this book meshed together to broaden the story. Malcolm was a truly interesting character. I loved how his relationship with Saba grew and how he was able to understand that not everything has to be logical. I loved seeing how great the silver dragons power was and I loved how she helped Saba and Malcolm in their relationship. Saba was so strong and powerful and I loved how she can int ...more
Kerry  sullivan
I really enjoyed this book. It was a complex story but didn't make your eyes spin in its complexity. The relationship between Saba and Malcolm was intense and made you want to know if she would kick his ass for being an arrogant idiot but get got there in the end with the all important little 3 words. The sex seance weren't as graphic as in some of the authors other book but they fit in with the personalities of the main couple. So it lost a star for me for being a little more vanilla then I exp ...more
Cindy
I love the setting of this series - San Francisco's Chinatown, it's people and their beliefs or lack thereof, is a very integral part of the story line. This another series where order is very important...

In Dragon Heat, the heroine finds the guest room in the apartment she inherited from her grandmother contains a 'door' to the world of dragons. Not to mention the TV-watching golden dragon...

The Black Dragon brings back Malcolm and Saba, both introduced in the first book. Who knew dragons would
Britta
I decided to give this book a chance because I read the first one (Dragon Heat). It wasn't very good at all! I kept putting the book down and walking away, hoping to find another good book to read. The first book wasn't that good so I don't know what I expected. Probably a miracle. A miracle I did not get.

The writing was labored and pedantic. I was bored less than 5 pages in. The language and dialogue was forced and tin-y. I had the third book in this series in my possession (from the library)
July
I liked this second book in the Dragon Series but I liked the first one better.
Saba Watanabe was the witch that helped the Black Dragon in the first book. Malcolm the Black Dragon left Saba to go back to dragonspace at the end of the first book, but left her with a way to call him in case of an emergency. Well, she needs her emergency call. A white Dragon is after a witch and he decides Saba will do.
Saba seems to have a lot more power in this book. This books revisits with Lisa the Silver Drago
Cheap and Lazy
Sexy and action-packed. Allyson James did a great job with characterization and world-building in this book (as well as the first). We get additional layers from Dragonspace and the main characters we met in the first book. The romance seemed-one sided (if not the attraction--which we get a lot of), but that was part of the drama and part of Malcom's character. Lots of (all kinds :-)) of action and a real villain this time. Some proof-reading and a little editing would have given this five stars ...more
Carisa
Great story, better than the first, great world building. Loved Malcolm. Could be read as a stand alone but Malcolm & Saba story started in Dragon Heat. (Allyson James is a pseudonym of author Jennifer Ashley, a great storyteller)
HERO is a Loner, a solitary dragon who was exiled to earth for many centuries and coud finally go back to his world. But he returns to earth because he misses Saba.
SCENES/CONTENT: few/steamy
GENRE/TONE: paranormal/action
PAGES: 304 pages
Olivia
I absolutely loved this book! I loved seeing Malcolm and Saba get their happy ever after and I loved seeing Caleb and Lisa again. This book is another amazing one by Allyson James, full of very steamy passion, great fighting action and a great story of love. Plus it has arrogant mega alpha dragons that can become alpha men. What more can a girl ask for? I highly recommend. <3
MK
This is all about Saba, a witch with untapped powers, and Malcolm, the black dragon. We can feel in the first book that they have chemistry, and this read discovered it further. Now that there is a new danger in their midst, they must team together with Lisa and Caleb in order to solve it. With a combination of suspense, action and hot scenes, I really enjoyed this read.
Cherisse
Esther Diaz
i like this story i was bored some part but in the end it had a good end. one thing i notice was this one was only from Saba and Malcond point of view and i like it, it was fun and i like the end a lot but other than that i just not very happy about reading the next one is like i really don't see the point but i probably give it a try later on i don't know
Mary
Hm, this book had some good ideas, and I enjoyed parts of it, but often it fell back on self-imposed stereotypes - the gold dragons are the warriors, the black are the thinkers, kind of felt I was back in high school with the jock dragons and the geek dragons. I would read more in the series if I run out of better things to read.
Ardith
I liked the story, but what annoyed me was the use of Japanese honorifics (-chan, -san, -sama, sempai, etc.)

For example. families don't normally call their fathers and mothers "papa-san/papa-chan" or "mama-san/mama-chan". Really annoying to read honorifics used incorrectly. *laugh*
Ginger
This book was about Malcolm (evil? dragon) and Saba the witch and computer whiz....dragons don't like witches, can't trust them and would never ever mate with one, especially the uber intelligent Black Dragons...until a nasty white dragon tries to muscle into his Saba's Life, then all bets are off.
Laura Armstrong
Wanted something that was far removed from my normal reading choices and I suppose I got it with this. I read the first in Allyson James Dragon series which was fine so I went for this one which was probably more enjoyable, magic, dragons, witches...complete nonsense but fun nonsense all the same.
Stacie
Malcolm is a black dragon and is summoned by Saba when a silver dragon threatens her. Malcolm would rather just be left along to remain in dragon world taking care of his archives. But then the Silver dragon threatens both of them and he has to come out to fight.
Amanda Mc
Saba Watanabe & Malcolm the Black Dragon. She is a witch who can help M find out what's wrong with him. Seemed kind of contrived (more than genre usual) and corny. As I recall, there is quite a bit of talk about tea ceremonies. Not the worst I've read. C
♆ BookAddict  ✒ La Crimson Femme
Malcolm is a sexy hot black dragon I'd submit to, any day. I enjoyed this book and found it to be quite smexy. The plot was intriguing and kept my interest. I recommend this book to my friends who like hot dragons and a smart heroine.
BJ Rose
not really a 5* but this is the best of the series. I love a 'reformed' character - the Black Dragon was somewhat of a villain in the first book, but the care of a witch makes him re-think things.
  • Dragon's Rise (Shadow of the Dragon, #3)
  • Winter Kiss (Dragonfire, #4)
  • The Ice Dragon (Dragon Knights, #3)
  • Hidden Embers (Dragon's Heat, #2)
  • Red Kiss (Gods of Midnight, #2)
  • Breath of Fire
  • Sophie's Dragon (Supernatural Bonds, #3)
  • Rion (Pendragon Legacy #2)
  • The Dragon Who Loved Me (Dragon Kin, #5)
  • Tears of the Dragon (Dragonshifters, #1)
  • The Reckoning (Immortals, #8)
Allyson James writes paranormal romance, urban fantasy, and erotic romance (paranormal and futuristic). She is a nationally bestselling author, a multiple RITA nominee, an RT Award winner, and a Prism winner. She also writes romance (paranormal and historical) as Jennifer Ashley. See Allyson's website for current and upcoming books. See also Allyson's GoodReads bookshelves for all books under all ...more
More about Allyson James...

Dragon (3 books)
  • Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1)
  • The Dragon Master (Dragon, #3)
Stormwalker (Stormwalker, #1) Firewalker (Stormwalker, #2) Dragon Heat (Dragon, #1) Shadow Walker (Stormwalker, #3) Rees (Tales of the Shareem, #1)