Start by marking “Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit” as Want to Read:
Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit

Classic Tales of Brer Rabbit

4.29 of 5 stars 4.29  ·  rating details  ·  3,218 ratings  ·  23 reviews
Follow the adventures of crafty B'rer Rabbit and his friends in seven playful folktales with roots in traditional African stories. Told and retold for hundreds of years, this young-reader's version of these folktales retains the original humor and wisdom, com- plemented by spirited, full-color illustrations by Don Daily.
Published February 5th 2004 by Running Press Kids (first published September 1995)

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper LeeGone with the Wind by Margaret MitchellThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark TwainFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg
Best Southern Literature
135th out of 813 books — 1,928 voters
The Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussSeven Wonders Of The World by Anna OthitisFishing Into Potato Salad by Othen Donald Dale CummingsMy First Fun Golf Steps by Anna OthitisWhere the Wild Things Are by Maurice Sendak
Books for four-year-old children
87th out of 342 books — 222 voters

More lists with this book...

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I didn't find Borgenicht's retellings to be anything special, except I think he may have made Joel Chandler Harris' vernacular easier for kids to understand. The illustrations, however, really made this book-- bright, colorful animals wearing human clothing (except for Mr. Dog, interestingly). Don Daily's style reminded me of Jerry Pinkney, though he doesn't use Pinkney's same art technique. The larger than normal size of the book makes the illustrations an especial feast for the eye. This would ...more
Nichole
My son and I read this a part of Sonlight's P4/5 curriculum. I was excited to share these classic American stories with my son. He didn't quite "get" them at first. I think he wasn't used to the main character of a story being the "bad guy." Once we discussed that Brer Rabbit, and most of the other characters, shouldn't be acting like that he started to enjoy the stories. The humor of it really clicked for him and this book quickly became a favorite. He shakes his head after reading and says, "S ...more
Carole
This oversized edition of selected Uncle Remus tales include the most familiar and popular of the Brer Rabbit stories--tar baby and the tortoise and the hare. There is humor in the telling of how he outsmarts the other animals, except for the tortoise. This is a beautifully illustrated version, drawn by Don Daily.
Ivan
Stories I recall from childhood. My father would read these and do different voices for each character - he read with great theatricality. The illustrations in this edition are outstanding.
Sarah Johnson
My grandmother read these to us when we were children.
Thecajungirl
It's Brer Rabbit with fabulous illustrations. We had to purchase a second copy because both children wanted a copy. The stories are marvelous and entertaining for young and old alike. A must have for a parent's library. A wonderful book to cuddle up and read out loud.
We have had a lot of interesting and entertaining discussions as a result of this book. These stories are rooted in African Tales and are wonderful. This book is a great book to give as a gift to a new parent or new grandparent or t
Whitney White
An absolute classic! One of my all time favorites. It seems childish, but I would read the stories to my middle schoolers. Brer Rabbit's stories always have incredible moral gumption. They are wonderful at helping children understand the difference between right and wrong even in 8th grade. One story in particular, puts Brer Rabbit in a bit of a dilemma with one of his friends. The moral of the story teaches the reader that blackmailing your friends is not okay. Great book to use in any social s ...more
Greg
This was a gift along with the original Compair Lapin stories and served as a nice pairing to learn about where these stories came from. Fascinating to see the overlap in stories shared traditionally in multiple cultures.
Heather
My children loved this book and the illustrations are wonderful. The stories were easy to understand, but still filled with humor and rich language. The only negative worth mentioning is that there are several spelling, punctuation and capitalization errors throughout. Otherwise a great book!
Robin
This is a beautifully illustrated edition of the Brer Rabbit tales. Excellent when used with Ananzi stories to teach trickster tales and the way that African culture wove its threads into African American culture. Also can be taught in relation to a unit on slavery.
Stephanie
Jan 07, 2013 Stephanie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Stephanie by: Sonlight
I am not a big fan of Brer Rabbit, but I have to say this is one of the better editions of the classic tales. The illustrations are incredible and add so much to the stories. My boys LOVE this book and want to be read from it over and over.
Jennifer Smith
The dialect can be difficult to read but the stories are so cute. As with Little Black Sambo, the characters reflect the times in which they were created. However, Uncle Remus is the most intellegent adult in the story. I love the tales.
Amy
My grandmother taught me to love Brer Rabbit. I adore these stories and the truths they teach. Getting through the tricky dialect, we discover these characters are crafty, hilarious and very relatable!
Kerstin Olcott
I adore this book. The illustrations are fabulous. The stories are American classics. It is so fun to read. This book has become a regular around our house. It is a definite favorite.
Sara
Well, I read the version they had on gutenburg.org and the stories were pretty boring actually. And no tar baby. I'll have no find another version.
Rebecca
Great illustrations, but compared to other children's stories and fables not our favorite.
Holly
A great read aloud book for pre-school elementary age. This edition has nice illustration as well.
Carey Nuss
No matter what age you are.You would enjoy this Classic!
Joyce M. Tice
These are great stories and a joy to rad.
Eric Vasallo
always loved these as a kid and still love em!
Stacy Mallory
Fun book, with fun illustrations
Veronica
I love these stories!
Saraswathi
Saraswathi marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
  • Uncle Wiggily's Story Book
  • What's Smaller Than a Pygmy Shrew?
  • Stories from Around the World
  • The Milly-Molly-Mandy Storybook
  • The Children's Book of Virtues
  • Eric Carle's Animals Animals
  • The Llama Who Had No Pajama: 100 Favorite Poems
  • The 20th Century Children's Book Treasury: Celebrated Picture Books and Stories to Read Aloud
  • The Complete Adventures of Peter Rabbit
  • Dolphin Treasure
  • The Usborne Book of Living Long Ago (Explainers)
  • People
  • Story of Little Babaji
  • Poems and Prayers for the Very Young
Sesame Street Unpaved: Scripts, Stories, Secrets and Songs The Action Hero's Handbook: How to Catch a Great White Shark, Perform the Vulcan Nerve Pinch, Track a Fugitive, and Dozens of Other TV and Movie Skills Star Trek Book of Opposites Everest: You Decide How to Survive! (The Worst-Case Scenario Ultimate Adventure, #1) The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Paranormal