Start by marking “We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam” as Want to Read:
We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam

We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back to the Battlefields of Vietnam

4.1 of 5 stars 4.10  ·  rating details  ·  475 ratings  ·  54 reviews

In their stunning follow-up to the classic bestseller We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young, Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and Joe Galloway return to Vietnam and reflect on how the war changed them, their men, their enemies, and both countries—often with surprising results.

Audiobook, 0 pages
Published July 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about We Are Soldiers Still, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about We Are Soldiers Still

Chris G Derrick
One of the very best books on the subject of war etc I've ever read.
Here we have the same authors who were responsible for also excellent 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young' - Harold Moore and Joe Galloway. One of them a Lt. General and the other a journalist.
The two men return to the Ia Drang battlefield in the company of the men they were fighting against on that fateful day back in 1965.
There're not too many books on this subject which cause you to swallow hard, but this one is soooo well writ
Francis Gahren

More than fifteen years since its original publication, the number one New York Times bestseller We Were Soldiers Once . . . and Young is still required reading in all branches of the military. Now Moore and Galloway revisit their relat
Gerald Kinro
Former battalion commander Moore and journalist Galloway return to Viet Nam and visit the site where they fought in America’s first major battle of the war and Dienbienphu where the French were soundly defeated . In a rare opportunity, they get to meet and interact with commanders and soldiers who fought against them and General Giap who commanded the Viet Minh against the French. Thus lessons learned. Animosity is buried, and mutual respect for each other as soldiers prevails as they speak fran ...more
A great follow up to their book We Were Soldiers Once... and Young, LTG Hal Moore and war correspondant Joe Galloway return to the Ia Drang Valley in Vietnam with several of their fellow soldiers and a few of their former advisaries to look for closure and healing from their combat experiences, often finding both in peculiar ways. The first 1/2s of the book tells this poignant story, while the next 1/4 explains LTG Moore's command philosophy - applicable to both the military and private sector m ...more
Avendo letto il primo (Eravamo giovani in Vietnam) le aspettative erano altissime.
Mi è sembrata molto stimolante tutta la prima parte con l'incontro, dopo decenni, tra ex combattenti americani e ufficiali dell'esercito vietnamita.
Antichi nemici che si scoprono più simili di quel che pensavano, che si affrontano con rispetto e che insieme si aiutano a quietare i tanti fantasmi emersi durante quella terribile guerra.
E' stato particolarmente interessante il rendersi conto, da parte degli American
I was really impressed with the first book these two co-authored and was interested in seeing what they would add. It was sort of repetitive in places, but overall an interesting tale of finally meeting up with their North Vietnamese equals and hearing some of the planning that went into this conflict from their side. Two points that stick with me, perhaps because they were stressed and repeated, were the N. Vietnamese's conviction that if we had studied what happened to the French, we never wou ...more
LTG Hal Moore and reporter Joe Galloway return to the Ia Drang Valley,(or as the Vietnamese call it "The Valley of Screaming Souls"), 30 years after the first great battle of the US Vietnamese experience left 305 Americans and approximately 2,200 North Vietnamese soldiers dead over a 72 hour period.

Moore reflects on the nature of war and what we do to ourselves through it's execution. He states "Long after the war was over, one president, Ronald Reagan, called it a "noble" effort. He was wrong.
We Were Soldiers Once...and Young is one of my all-time favourite non-fiction books, and of course, it's about the Vietnam War. Anyone who knows me well can attest to the fact that my two favourite wars (not because they were good, but because they were interesting) are World War II and the Vietnam War. When I found out that Lt. Gen. Hal Moore and Joe Galloway were coming out with another book, I literally had a freak out session. I could not wait to get my hands on it. I bought the first copy t ...more
I really liked this book. I now see Hal Moore as more of a person with his own flaws and idiosyncracies, but still a great warrior and hero. When you see the movie "We Were Soldiers" (starring Mel Gibson) you find yourself frequently saying "That wasn't in the book" (We were Soldiers once...and young,) and you wonder if once again Hollywood took 'Artistic License' with a great classic book. However, all of those moments are explained in this book. This book gives a more well rounded view of Hal ...more
This is the follow up to Moore and Galloway’s We Were Soldiers Once…and Young. The original book, for those who have not read it, documents the battles of the Ia Drang valley in 1965, in which Moore commanded the 1st Battalion of the 7th Cavalry Regiment. The more recent book discusses Moore and Galloway’s trips to Vietnam while researching the original book. Moore had the opportunity to meet the men who had commanded the North Vietnamese forces in the Ia Drang valley and found that they had muc ...more
First off, this book might make more sense if you’ve read the one that proceeded it. I didn’t and it was fine, but there were parts that I think were probably better explained in the first book they wrote. Much of this read like a classic example of why you should “show me, don’t tell me” and that was frustrating. Writing style and redundancy aside, I think there is a powerful message that goes along with this.

Moore and Galloway return with other Vietnam veterans to the very battlefield that app
I thoroughly enjoyed this read because I was alive during this time and remember so well the nightly news reports about the battles and the casualties and the protests. I was involved in several rallies and candlelight vigils. Like most young men my age, I was deeply torn by the Vietnam War and what/whom to believe.
In this well-written sequel to their earlier book, the authors recount their meeting their Viet Cong counterparts many years after the war. As they tour the battlefields where once
A war story for people who, like General Moore, don't like war. These are the honest words of a very wise man, and along with the original book by Moore and Galloway, possibly the best thing to come out of the battle at Ia Drang.

The audiobook is mislabeled--crediting the narration to Joseph Galloway when the entirety is in fact read by General Moore. There are times when his voice quavers in recounting certain incidents, which brought tears to my own eyes.
A follow-up to We Were Soldiers and an interesting read on Moore's thoughts as he and SGM Plumley return to Vietnam and walk the same ground they did 30-ish years prior and meet with Vo Ngyuen Giap as friends. Crazy to comprehend the thought process involved.
Bernie Gourley
This book is a mix of the story of American and Vietnamese military men coming together a couple decades after the war and a treatise on leadership and war --plus some filler material. Both parts are interesting, but there is a bit of a disjoint because of not having enough material solely in of the dimensions to create a book.

The interesting part of the book is the discussion of the meetings with Vietnamese officers. It is not interesting in comparison to the initial book, which told the story
Kent Hinckley
I enjoyed reading how two men, a general and journalist, returned to Ia Drang Valley where they experienced a bloody battle with the North Vietnamese Amy. They returned and conversed with the commanders of their enemy and made peace, established friendships, and honored the dead on both sides. Their story is inspirational and their message for our leaders today to use military force as the last resort. Well done.
A Lt. General that pretty much has the same view of war and our politicians as I do. He has a lot to say that I wish people and especially non-military serving politicians would listen too.
Brandon EVHS Lenguyen
Half a retelling of the story from "We Were Soldiers Once, and Young" and half filling in the gaps (the story before and after), I found Soldiers Still an easy and interesting read. Having met General Moore, I have a huge military crush on the man -- he is a legend.

Moore is predominantly the voice within this text and in parts, he provides a considerable amount of political commentary. There is also an interesting chapter on leadership which is applicable outside of the military as well.

Very en
Ronald Hilbert
One of the better books about Viet-Nam the I have read.
Reading about the return of members of the 1st Calvary to Viet Nam, I can't help but think of the decisions we all make in life. If I hadn't joned the Navy when I did, in time to see Viet Nam from afar and instead enlisted or was drafted into another branch, I wonder if I would be here today reading about those who were "in country."

The 2nd Battalion of the 1st US Calvary suffered 93% combat loss at LZ-Albany; the French lost over 3000 at Diem Ben Phu. Would I have come back?
Tim Gillen
I thought this was a good book. The writing was a little repetitive, but when taken in light of who wrote and narrated it (4-star general responsible for key battles in the US conflict in Vietnam), I had a strong appreciation for it. I read the audiobook version. The book was moving, and appeared to make an honest attempt to present the views of both sides fairly. Key take away was the continued realization of the work and sacrifice that our troops have borne.
Get out your hankies. This is a fascinating sequel to "We Were Soldiers Once..." by the same authors. It is also, interestingly enough another book (much like Weintraub's, stick with me) that contains a lot of thoughtful and useful career advice. There's the obvious story of their return to Vietnam, the story between soldiers of different nations, and the love that exists between soldiers and their families. So many wonderful things, all in one book. Enjoy!
A very good read that combines the thoughts of the American commanding officer with this interviews with the opposing North Vietnamese commanders at the first major battle of the American Vietname War. I felt the most notable sections of the book were Lt. Col Harold Moore's thoughts on leadership and on war, particularly his thoughts on the Iraq War and the failure civilian leaders to appreciate the costs of warfare.
This book was a great companion to Moore and Galloway's "We Were Soldiers Once... and Young". In this book Moore, Galloway, and members of the First Air Cavalry journey back to Vietnam to revisit their old battlefields. Making the trip even more special they are joined by thier Vietnamese advesaries who they fought against forty years before and the former enemies begin to form strong bonds of lasting friendship.
Tony Taylor
Sep 10, 2010 Tony Taylor rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any vet or anyone who likes military history
Recommended to Tony by: Fred Buhler
A Very good read, especially for those who are Vietnam vets or who read their first book:"We Were Soldiers Once... and Young."

As an aside comment, I was fascinated that General Vo Nguyen Giap who ran the Vietnam War from Hanoi, and who had defeated the French at Dien Bien Phu in 1954, is still alive at the age of 99 ( as of September 2010.) See
I read this because i loved the first book 'We Were Soldiers Once and Young'. I was not disappointed. They go back to the valley where so much happened and had to relive and deal with demons that plague so many. I recommended the first to my father whom was in Vietnam as well as this book. He enjoyed them both. I will admit>> I c ried during the first book, the second book, and the movie. Great Read
Nathan Shepherd
Recounts stories about soldiers fighting in the Vietnam War while documenting the authors' experiences interacting with the modern (i.e., 1990s and 2000s) Vietnamese Government. Unique insights into what it means to be a soldier - then and now. Describes personalities on both the US and Vietnamese sides, as well as a little history leading up to the Vietnamese conflict. Remarkable and recommended!
Fred Lombardo
As the sequel to We Were Soldiers Once... And Young, this book follows some 20 years after that incredible battle of the Ia Drang Valley. When former combatants meet and find some closure to all that they witnessed and did. A must read for those who have an interest in the first book, to see where it all began and how for some, the battle is finally over and they can find some peace.
This is a spectacular follow up to the original, we were soldiers once & young that the movie was made from. If you enjoyed the 1st book this will interest you as it goes back in the soldiers feelings & nightmares as they return to that fateful place from history to lay to rest those ghosts as well as make friends from prior enemies~
  • The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger
  • Bloods: An Oral History of the Vietnam War by Black Veterans
  • And a Hard Rain Fell
  • A Better War: The Unexamined Victories and Final Tragedy of America's Last Years in Vietnam
  • Steel My Soldiers' Hearts: The Hopeless to Hardcore Transformation of U.S. Army, 4th Battalion, 39th Infantry, Vietnam
  • Platoon Leader: A Memoir of Command in Combat
  • Nam: The Vietnam War in the Words of the Men and Women Who Fought There
  • The Last Valley: Dien Bien Phu and the French Defeat in Vietnam
  • Once Upon a Distant War: David Halberstam, Neil Sheehan, Peter Arnett--Young War Correspondents and Their  Early Vietnam Battles
  • Dereliction of Duty: Johnson, McNamara, the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and the Lies That Led to Vietnam
  • Patriots: The Vietnam War Remembered from All Sides
  • A Piece of My Heart: The Stories of 26 American Women Who Served in Vietnam
  • The Cat From Hue: A Vietnam War Story
  • Valley Of Death: The Tragedy At Dien Bien Phu That Led America Into The Vietnam War
  • Dear America: Letters Home from Vietnam
  • SOG: Secret Wars of America's Commandos in Vietnam
  • Once A Warrior King: Memories of an Officer in Vietnam
  • Home Before Morning
Lieutenant General Harold Gregory Moore Jr. is a retired officer of the U.S. Army, and the co-author (with Joe Galloway) of two successful books ('We Were Soldiers Once... And Young' & 'We Are Soldiers Still: A Journey Back To The Battlefields Of Vietnam') about the 1965 battle of the Ia Drang valley in Viet Nam, during most of which Moore (then a Lt. Colonel) was the primary U.S. officer comm ...more
More about Harold G. Moore...

“There is no such thing as closure for soldiers who have survived a war. They have an obligation, a sacred duty, to remember those who fell in battle beside them all their days and to bear witness to the insanity that is war.” 7 likes
“There’s always one more thing you can do to influence any situation in your favor—and after that one more thing, and after that…. The more you do the more opportunities arise.” 4 likes