Start by marking “Ignatz” as Want to Read:
Ignatz

Ignatz

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  73 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Published March 9th 2010 by Four Way Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ignatz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignatz

Linda
My favorite poetry book of 2010. She nailed the way to be both luscious and spare at once. Using Herriman's Krazy Kat world as context allows for maximum play in minimum space. She can borrow the entire Ignatz apparatus to talk about something else altogether. It's not a world of narrative, or of meaning waiting to be unlocked. It's shadowlands.

Ignatz Oasis

its gold prowl

batting at tinsel streamers
on th...more
Jiyoung Kim
I can't honestly say I understood everything Youn wrote, but I'm strangely attracted to this book. Like other have commented, it's pretty abstract, but the heart of this collection and the reason I have come back to re-read certain poems so often is her exquisite command of language and nuance. There's something very... full, rich, and lovely about the way she uses words. Her imagery isn't a forced aesthetic - or at least, it certainly doesn't read forced, and she's able to invoke so much more d...more
Chad
monica youn is a for real poet. not like me where i string words together to affect meaning and hope for effect. landscape with ignatz is her proof:

Landscape with Ignatz

The rawhide thighs of the canyon straddling the knobbled blue spine of the sky.

The bone-spurred heels of the canyon prodding the gaunt blue ribs of the sky.

The sunburnt mouth of the canyon biting the swollen blue tongue of the sky.

The hangnailed fingers of the canyon snagging the tangled blue hair of the sky.

The blistered thumbs...more
All of the poems in this book propose to revolve around this Ignatz character, love interest of Krazy Kat. The language is interesting and makes good emotional use of imagery. When I finished, though, I found that I wished the poems were a little more concrete and narrative and gave us a little sharper picture of what this enigmatic relationship between Ignatz and Krazy Kat, which I believe is central to the premise of the book. Things can be stranger, they don't have to be consistent. I just wi...more
Nancy
I love Krazy Kat so I expected to love this, but it is a difficult love. Ha, as I should have expected. Mostly, I was lost. And surprised to find myself disinterested, until the last two poems, when I finally felt an impact (brick-like).
Karissa
Beautifully crafted and controlled. Inventive language and meditations on an object of desire... from the point of view of a whimsical cartoon. Didn't love it, but found much to admire in terms of language.
Eugene
loved these love song variations which risk sentimentality for emotion and go often for that old-timey beauty

...and because you always love the one that throws a brick at your head.
Charlotte
I'm a little obsessed with this book. It's really really good--spare & funny & scary & beautiful.
Jenny (Reading Envy)
Some of the poems are beautiful. I don't get the connection to Herriman. What a strange idea.
Leonard
Original sparse poetry from a promising young poet.
Patrick Dunlop
Patrick Dunlop marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Ashley Motil
Ashley Motil is currently reading it
Aug 25, 2014
Warren
Warren marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Melinda Allen
Melinda Allen marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2014
Becky
Becky added it
Jul 10, 2014
Sang
Sang marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Cameron
Cameron marked it as to-read
May 22, 2014
Andrew
Andrew added it
Sep 02, 2014
Malka
Malka added it
Feb 13, 2014
Diana
Diana marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2014