Start by marking “Ignatz” as Want to Read:
Ignatz

Ignatz

Published March 9th 2010 by Four Way Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Ignatz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ignatz

Szu Yoong
Feb 01, 2017 Szu Yoong rated it really liked it
Mood-wise and thematically, reminded me of Anne Carson, in how the poems explore asymmetrical desire from the perspective of the one who loves more (i.e. the one without power). The book borrows its title from the comic Krazy Kat, in which Krazy is in love with the criminal mouse Ignatz, who is always throwing bricks at Krazy's head (which Krazy takes to be an expression of love - love is indifferent to the beloved's indifference).

There is a surreal interweaving of the animate and inanimate, con
Linda
Jan 29, 2011 Linda rated it it was amazing
My favorite poetry book of 2010. She nailed the way to be both luscious and spare at once. Using Herriman's Krazy Kat world as context allows for maximum play in minimum space. She can borrow the entire Ignatz apparatus to talk about something else altogether. It's not a world of narrative, or of meaning waiting to be unlocked. It's shadowlands.

Ignatz Oasis

its gold prowl

batting at tinsel streamers
on th
Mar 10, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
This reminded me how much I love Herriman's comics. All of the poems had much to reveal about desire (and sometimes, the futility of desire), but my favorites also illuminated something about poetic form and style. Of these, "Landscape with Ignatz" and "X as a Function of Distance from Ignatz" stick with me for the way they use repetition to create implied narratives.
Alexandra
Jul 12, 2013 Alexandra rated it really liked it
Shelves: female-authors
I can't honestly say I understood everything Youn wrote, but I'm strangely attracted to this book. Like other have commented, it's pretty abstract, but the heart of this collection and the reason I have come back to re-read certain poems so often is her exquisite command of language and nuance. There's something very... full, rich, and lovely about the way she uses words. Her imagery isn't a forced aesthetic - or at least, it certainly doesn't read forced, and she's able to invoke so much more d ...more
Chad
Apr 06, 2011 Chad rated it really liked it
monica youn is a for real poet. not like me where i string words together to affect meaning and hope for effect. landscape with ignatz is her proof:

Landscape with Ignatz

The rawhide thighs of the canyon straddling the knobbled blue spine of the sky.

The bone-spurred heels of the canyon prodding the gaunt blue ribs of the sky.

The sunburnt mouth of the canyon biting the swollen blue tongue of the sky.

The hangnailed fingers of the canyon snagging the tangled blue hair of the sky.

The blistered thumbs
May 04, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
All of the poems in this book propose to revolve around this Ignatz character, love interest of Krazy Kat. The language is interesting and makes good emotional use of imagery. When I finished, though, I found that I wished the poems were a little more concrete and narrative and gave us a little sharper picture of what this enigmatic relationship between Ignatz and Krazy Kat, which I believe is central to the premise of the book. Things can be stranger, they don't have to be consistent. I just wi ...more
Shannon
Jan 30, 2017 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Clever concept--Monica Youn reinvents the villainous mouse Ignatz from the Krazy Kat comic strip, casting him in different lights. Each poem a frame, she experiments with structure, as the structure and length of each poem vary like the vantage point from which the speaker and reader engage with Ignatz. Having never read the comic strip, I could still appreciate the poems, for she speaks to a philosophy accessible beyond a grounded artifact.
Karissa
Apr 20, 2011 Karissa rated it liked it
Beautifully crafted and controlled. Inventive language and meditations on an object of desire... from the point of view of a whimsical cartoon. Didn't love it, but found much to admire in terms of language.
Maryann
Jan 07, 2016 Maryann rated it really liked it
Although I preferred her first collection, Barter, this was another bold, unique collection of poetry playing with sound, form, and both the dark and light sides of love. Stunning and immensely readable.
Nancy
May 12, 2012 Nancy rated it it was ok
Shelves: poetry
I love Krazy Kat so I expected to love this, but it is a difficult love. Ha, as I should have expected. Mostly, I was lost. And surprised to find myself disinterested, until the last two poems, when I finally felt an impact (brick-like).
Charlotte
Jan 17, 2011 Charlotte rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
I'm a little obsessed with this book. It's really really good--spare & funny & scary & beautiful.
Dearwassily
Nov 23, 2014 Dearwassily rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Hints of Anne Carson at her most terse, and yet...not. I don't want another Anne Carson (there can only be one!) but I am searching for someone comparable. Probably a lost cause.
Leonard
Dec 26, 2010 Leonard rated it liked it
Original sparse poetry from a promising young poet.
Hailey Leithauser
Feb 01, 2015 Hailey Leithauser rated it really liked it
Loved it! I was not familiar with Krazy Kat before I stumbled across a few of these poems in Paris Review, but now I'm hooked on both Youn and KK.

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Some of the poems are beautiful. I don't get the connection to Herriman. What a strange idea.
Eugene
Mar 07, 2012 Eugene rated it really liked it
loved these love song variations which risk sentimentality for emotion and go often for that old-timey beauty

...and because you always love the one that throws a brick at your head.
Maggie Roessler
Maggie Roessler rated it it was amazing
Dec 17, 2012
Todd R
Todd R rated it really liked it
Mar 05, 2014
Chance
Chance rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
John Williams
John Williams rated it liked it
Sep 20, 2016
Joanne Chin
Joanne Chin rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2012
Lester Robles
Lester Robles rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2010
Meredith Kaplan
Meredith Kaplan rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 11, 2017
Juli Anna
Juli Anna rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2013
Suzanne Van Horn
Suzanne Van Horn rated it really liked it
Jan 10, 2011
Cat Lilly
Cat Lilly rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2013
vivian
vivian rated it liked it
Jan 15, 2016
Peter Oresick
Peter Oresick rated it liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Jul 04, 2013