Start by marking “Shadow of the Wolf: A Novel (Volk Novels)” as Want to Read:
Shadow of the Wolf: A Novel (Volk Novels)

Shadow of the Wolf: A Novel (Alexei "Volk" Volkovoy Mystery #2)

He left the blood-soaked mountains of Chechnya behind to become a gun-for-hire in the new Moscow. But an international cabal is luring Alexei Volkovoy back to those mountains and toward a confrontation with his old nemesis.

The headquarters of an American oil company spits smoke into the Moscow night, the aftermath of an apparent terrorist attack. A Russian army captai

Published February 2nd 2010 by Picador (first published July 8th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow of the Wolf, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow of the Wolf

Stephanie
After I read the first book in this series, "Volk's Game," I gave it to my brother. He loved it so much he went and bought this book, which he lent to me immediately upon finishing. I gave four stars to "Volk's Game" but only three to this book. Why? Volk, who appeared to be a flawed yet sympathetic criminal with honor -- or, perhaps, an honorable man who engaged in criminal enterprises -- in the first book, has climbed to the stratospheric status of superhero secret agent in this book. Less bel ...more
Alfredo
Volk's Shadow is the kind of book that while you are reading it, you are not sure what is happening; it is the kind of book where a dramatis personae would come in handy since you frequently end up wondering who the person they are referring to was...Yet, I could not put down this book. I finished it and I was not sure what had happened or who had done what, but yet I was oddly satisfied. I think the setting as a Moscow/Grozny noir is part of the allure. I did not find it as accessible as the Ar ...more
John Grazide
Dec 19, 2014 John Grazide rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dark, violent and non stop! I really like this writing style, with all the doom and gloom "beautifully" portrayed, there is still an underlying hope. Always fleeting, but there.

It is very violent, as I said, but it really does lend to the story. So if you are not into the violence, really, this is not for you.

Knowing that this is book two, of five (I believe), I look forward to the development of the relationships of the General, Maxim, Vayla and Masha.
Ghost14
Gives an insight into a distinguishably Russian conundrum of politics, human behavior, backdrop, etc.

Took a while to read. But thats how it is recommended to be read ...in sporadic bursts, technically each chapter representing an episode of an action sitcom.
Cathie
Oct 14, 2011 Cathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
A suspense thriller based in Russia. It's all Hollywood likes blood, explosions, a love story. I liked how the book also had some history on the Chechen conflict as well. As well as the issues of the oil and what it's doing the Russian society. All in all a good book.
Matt
Dec 31, 2011 Matt rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Wow. After "Volk's Game", I really thought this would be good to very good read. Unfortunately this book is just not that good. In fact, I have put in about 65 pages and not sure I will read anymore. Just not good enough.
Ami
Jan 08, 2008 Ami rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic thriller. It got me through the deadly O'Hare-LaGuardia connection after Xmas, which is really saying something.
Jessica
Aug 21, 2008 Jessica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, russia
A brutal look at a brushed-aside war and the violent face of the new Russia. Not for the weak of stomach.
Jim
Jim rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2013
Chrissy
Chrissy rated it really liked it
Nov 14, 2011
Corwin Lacert
Corwin Lacert rated it it was ok
Nov 06, 2014
Kj Mcleod
Kj Mcleod rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2014
James Meechan
James Meechan rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Allistaire
Allistaire rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Ben
Ben rated it liked it
Mar 29, 2013
Scott Mackenzie
Scott Mackenzie rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2012
Tyler Diernbach
Tyler Diernbach rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2014
Aleks
Aleks rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2014
Colin
Colin rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2013
Rob
May 07, 2010 Rob rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Another adventure story of Alexei Volkovoy as he tries to survive in the Russian underworld.
Sandy Cox
Sandy Cox rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2012
Randall Smith
Randall Smith rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Julie Sandel
Julie Sandel rated it really liked it
Oct 27, 2010
Scott
Scott rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2015
Jeanine Holquist
Jeanine Holquist rated it it was amazing
Jan 02, 2016
Bill Miller
Bill Miller rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Jason Murray
Jason Murray rated it liked it
Jun 28, 2010
Troy
Troy rated it it was amazing
May 23, 2016
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2012
Judith
Judith rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

Alexei "Volk" Volkovoy Mystery (4 books)
  • Volk's Game: A Novel