Start by marking “Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

4.32  ·  Rating Details ·  2,553 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
Book by
Published September 17th 2002 by Running Press (first published October 10th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Murder in Baker Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder in Baker Street

Kᴇᴇ Queen
"The moment seemed to sum up my extraordinary friendship with Sherlock Holmes. Together, we had stood in many a drawing-room, many a library, and in our own rooms in Baker Street, examining evidence, discussing the significance of trifles, sifting through the debris of shattered lives, searching for truth and justice."

Continuing with my second anthology to read, relish and review for Sherlock Holmes' Birthday Month is Murder in Baker Street edited by Martin H. Greenberg., Jon L. Lettenberg and
Kayt
Jun 15, 2010 Kayt rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: N oone
I'll start by summarizing everything I'm about to say: only read this book if you are absolutely desperate for some apocryphal Sherlock Holmes. These stories are to Holmes what a twig is to a cane. They may share some qualities, but there's not much use for the former.

Now, granted, it's a collection and so some are better than others. Several stories were actually pleasant. The Case of the Borderline Dandelions, The Siren of Sennen Cove, and The Remarkable Worm were all okay, without too much of
Tinneal
Sep 26, 2013 Tinneal rated it it was ok
A decent collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, written by various authors. The quality of the stories ranges from from good, to not-so-good. I have given each one an individual review and rating, and the collection's final rating is based on the average.

The Man from Capetown by Stuart M Kaminsky: This story starts out promising. The opening scene and banter between Holmes and Watson is very enjoyable. The first 'client' introduced, and is immediately unlikeable and impossible to feel sorry for
Joanna
Nov 27, 2012 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has many stories in it about cases that Sherlock Holmes and his colleague, Dr. Watson, solved. They ranged from finding something that was missing to solving a murder case that was presumed natural. My favorite one was when they had to find a murderer at a residence. She used a wax head to help in unfolding her plan.

I like the book a lot. There are many stories to choose from. It is hard to solve the case, though, because Holmes doesn't need much time to find what he is looking for. Th
Erik Deckers
Feb 05, 2017 Erik Deckers rated it it was amazing
Great mix of stories, including a couple by some favorite short story authors. All were worthy of inclusion and didn't stray too far from Doyle's detective in language, style, or believability.
Chuck
Jul 07, 2008 Chuck rated it liked it
This is a collection of passable Sherlock Holmes stories. The Anne Perry and Gillian Linscott stories are probably the best. The weakest is the L. B. Greenwood story--a strange tale about traveling through the jungle looking for Pygmies while a couple work out their marital problems. Holmes and Watson are along for the ride, and Watson narrates, but they don't really have anything to do with story.
Leslie
Jan 20, 2014 Leslie rated it liked it
I wanted to enjoy this more but some of the stories were just so... cheesy.
Sharonbrown3158
Jul 27, 2009 Sharonbrown3158 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am a sucker for anything Holmes!!! I love all these stories. The Case of the Vampire's Mark was my favorite.
Tracy
The rating is higher more for the two essays at the end, which were the anthology's strongest pieces. The first few stories were poorly written and worse, poorly edited! I should preface this review by stating that I never read any of the original Arthur Conan Doyle Sherlock Holmes stories, and that I've mainly come to this book out of interest for the BBC Sherlock tv show, which I love and enjoy. So that said, I'm not sure if some of these stories were imitiating the original stories, which pre ...more
Susan Jo Grassi
Mar 21, 2017 Susan Jo Grassi rated it really liked it
This took me a while to get through as I only read it at lunch time. It's a series of Sherlock Holmes short stories written by some of the best mystery authors of our time. Each one had the flavor of a Conan Doyle mystery. Good job everyone!
Dharia Scarab
Nice anthology. Not the same as the originals, but still a fun read.

3 stars... This book was ok, but I won't go out of my way to read more, But if I fin
Rena Sherwood
So-so short story collection about Sherlock Holmes. I only read it a couple of months ago and I'll be darned if I can remember a single story from it. All I remember is that some stories were interesting. The Anne Perry appears in other Sherlock Holmes short story collections. So does the Estleman.

description

Now that I looked up the story contents, I will say that "A Hansom for Mr. Holmes" is the main reason that I gave this 3 stars instead of two. The next best was the Cheshire Cheese one.

description

E.
Apr 09, 2016 E. rated it liked it
Not Quite Sherlock Holmes If this had just been a collection of short mysteries, I would have rated it 3 1/2 or 4 stars. As a collection of Sherlock pastiches, I'd rate it 3 stars. This was kind of a disappointment as Sherlock story collections go. None of the authors seemed to quite capture Holmes or Watson. The story with Moriarty was laughably bad, as was the story with the siren. The short story from the cabbies POV was somewhat interesting, but once again was overshadowed by a not quite Hol ...more
Cynthia
Sep 19, 2007 Cynthia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: sherlockians
It was interesting how all the different parts of crimes were introduce to Holmes. Holmes was able to follow the crimes and save it. People are gathering awareness and spreading violence and vrime throughout the world. All of these are related towards mysterious crimes near Baker Street. As Holmes and Dr.Watson embark on a adventure, it is amazing how people try to find a certain crime and the murder. Sommetimes at the end the client or someone else ends up dying.
Bre
Dec 25, 2010 Bre rated it it was ok
Ask yourself 2 questions. 1) Am I completely addicted to Holmes(yea) 2) can I stand by while various authors take a sledge hammer to the canon and keep smiling(yea) If yes to both, you will like this book, which distills the very essence of Holmes with some plain awful storytelling. We've got worm dissections, scuba divers, and band leaders here! And Holmes!! It gets an extra star for the blend of randomness you wouldn't expect of 2 staunch London chaps.
krin
Oct 19, 2007 krin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I enjoyed this collection of short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson, especially the ones "The Siren of Sennen Cove" and "A Hansom for Mr. Holmes". I also liked the essay "100 Years of Sherlock Holmes" which looked at how the Holmes character has been portrayed over the years on stage and film.

Esther
Feb 27, 2016 Esther rated it it was amazing
Short stories by well known authors recreating Sherlock Holmes. Most of the stories stay close to the original character with new plots. Enjoyable reading. In particular I enjoyed "The man from capetown", "The case of the bloodless sock", "The adventure of the Cheshire Cheese", and "Darkest Gold".
Armanda Moncton
Mar 13, 2013 Armanda Moncton rated it really liked it
Many excellent stories in the style of Conan Doyle, with three essays also, two of which are by the master himself.
Arnold Imperial
Oct 24, 2010 Arnold Imperial rated it really liked it
It was a great mystery story. Here Jack the Ripper goes around killing people. If u want to know more, read the book you self.
Marianne
May 31, 2011 Marianne rated it really liked it
Great collection of Holmes pastiche. I enjoyed it a great deal.
Teri
Nov 16, 2014 Teri rated it really liked it
stories did well to stay to Doyle's style. fun. MUCH better than the movies, but now I'm picturing SH as Benedict Cumberbatch. i don't think that's all bad.
Traci
I admit, I didn't finish this. I'm a huge Sherlock Holmes fan but I couldn't get into some of the stories. Unfortunately no one writes like Doyle no matter how hard they try.
Donna
This is a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories written by a variety of mystery writers. It's a mixed bag but a few of them managed to evoke the rhythm of the originals. A quick read.
Nov 08, 2012 Jennifer rated it liked it
Holmesian short stories by modern authors
Somsubhro EVHS Dhar
Sep 22, 2014 Somsubhro EVHS Dhar rated it really liked it
Sherlock Holmes Mysteries are always great, and this is one of the better ones I have read. I loved the way the suspense was never gone.
Beth
May 10, 2007 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love short stories and I love Sherlock Holmes. We'll see how this collection by popular authors is.
Valerie
Jun 25, 2012 Valerie rated it it was ok
Not bad at all, for a compilation of short stories. Some were bland & flat, but most had a redeeming factor.
James D Smith
Oct 10, 2010 James D Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it; give me more!
Julie
Aug 02, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Not so much a Holmes fan....
April
Sep 11, 2011 April rated it liked it
Not great but the short stories grew on me as I went and made me want to read Sherlock Holmes again. It's been a loong time.
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: War of the Worlds
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • The Man from Hell (Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (Paperback))
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • Sherlock Holmes: The Unauthorized Biography
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • The Lost Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Trial of Sherlock Holmes (Sherlock Holmes Dynamite, #1)
  • The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures
  • The Secret Notebooks of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Veiled Detective
  • The West End Horror: A Posthumous Memoir of John H. Watson, MD
  • The Angel of the Opera
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...