Start by marking “Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)” as Want to Read:
Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  345 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Silas Marner and Two Short Stories," by George Eliot, is part of the "Barnes & Noble Classics"" "series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of "Barnes & Noble Classics" New introductions ...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published 1861)

To ask other readers questions about Silas Marner and Two Short Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silas Marner and Two Short Stories

Amanda
I had to write a paper about this for my lit class, so it is my review.

(view spoiler)
Jeni Enjaian
It took me a little while to get into the title story. At first I found the narrative to be wordy and vague. I kept being distracted by the incredibly long paragraphs. Once I could devote a larger section of time to reading the book, it felt like the narrative had found its footing and moved forward at a steady, understandable pace. I still have a problem with the length of the paragraphs but such is the style of the time in which Eliot wrote. After reading the depressing Ethan Frome and selecte ...more
Becca
So, this is the book I decided to read for AP Lit. And I liked it. For a school book, I really liked it. Especially after Eppie showed up. The ending was really good, and the plot was interesting. I liked Silas and Eppie, althought there were some characters I really didn't like. The biggest problem was all the fluff. Some parts just took FOREVER to read because of all the fluff or just being slow. Overall, I like the book a lot, but I probably wouldn't read it again.
Anna
Apr 08, 2010 Anna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I am glad to say I have read a novel by George Eliot. I have tried unsuccessfully to read Middlemarch many times, so I am glad I was able to read Silas Marner. But she just gives me way too many details about village life that I just cant get into and too much information about characters who are not involve dint he story at all. George Eliot is my favorite professor's favorite author, but I just cant get into her!
Felicity Disco
Dec 09, 2015 Felicity Disco rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Eliot, somehow, and it definitely made me want to read more. Her moral system is fascinating.
Molly Jae
Oct 10, 2009 Molly Jae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What I learned from this book is how tender and sweet love can change a person, and bring hope and purpose into a life that has long ago been dimmed by misfortune and isolation. It took me a few pages to get into the language and rhythm of Eliot's short story. It reminds me of Thomas Hardy or Charles Dickens, and just takes reading a few pages before I can hear the words correctly in my head. The story takes place in the late 1700's, in Raveloe,a small English village where Silas has come to set ...more
Cynthia Garza
I am glad to have taken this opportunity to read more of Eliot's writing. I have read some of her poetry and some short stories in anthologies, all forgotten. I read her masterpiece -Middlemarch- sometime later and found it worthwhile and satisfying. I am glad to have read this collection of her work. As usual, the book -Silas Marner- was better than the good movie.
David Buhler
Feb 03, 2016 David Buhler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for 'Silas Marner.' The two short stories 3.5 stars. 'Silas Marner' is a wonderful read with a very satisfying denouement. I was pleasantly surprised to discover in George Eliot another master writer equal to Henry James I think; but that opinion is based on reading just this one book of hers. I hope to get around to reading her masterpiece "Middlemarch" sometime.
Sam
Mar 25, 2016 Sam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classic, george-eliot
Plod through the first six chapters and this classic becomes a highly readable, entertaining, and meaningful story. It's worth the trouble...
Joyce Nkonsissie
That is a good book
Arcturus
Jan 29, 2016 Arcturus rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
annoying story ....
Monique
May 01, 2011 Monique rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's hard to know where to start in my praise for George Eliot. Though her thoughts and observations are serious and insightful, her characters are still rich, funny, lovable, and despicable all at the same time. Silas Marner is a masterfully written story of redemption and family, without ever feeling stuffy or pretentious. Although it has a certain fairy-tale element, the depictions of the characters' lives are fresh and relatable. It seems useless to go on. I. Love. George. Eliot.
Cindy
Mar 26, 2012 Cindy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Liked the book better than the first time I read it in high school. Listen to the audio version and enjoyed it. I think it also helped that the introduction talked about the story being a fairy tale. That really helped me understand the novel and helped put a "glow" on the story.

Michelle
Although sweet and well written, I wasn't exactly riveted or surprised by the action. This does make me want to read one of her more well known novels like Middlemarch. But not for a while. I think I need a break from her prose.
Lori
Apr 05, 2013 Lori rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book and beautiful writing.
The Lifted Veil was simply amazing. Poe has nothing on Eliot.
Brother Jacob was a bit too off-beat for me, but still a good read. Humorous and sarcastic.
Molly
Feb 11, 2011 Molly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Silas Marner really drags at the beginning, but it gets better as it goes. The stories at the end were really weird/interesting!
Tori
Mar 01, 2010 Tori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not what I was expecting, but I liked it. The two short stories were just okay though.
Matthew Huff
Sep 14, 2015 Matthew Huff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Still great.
Skip Schoolink
Skip Schoolink rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
Sam
Sam added it
Apr 27, 2016
Tamara
Tamara rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Paul Zaragoza
Paul Zaragoza is currently reading it
Apr 26, 2016
Katie
Katie rated it really liked it
Apr 23, 2016
Dianna Caley
Dianna Caley rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2016
Jo Lonsdale
Jo Lonsdale rated it really liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Nazire
Nazire marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Janice Molzen
Janice Molzen rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Kara
Kara marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
Rimy
Rimy marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2016
  • Billy Budd and The Piazza Tales
  • Notes from Underground, The Double and Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics)
  • The Turn of the Screw, The Aspern Papers and Two Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)
  • Great American Short Stories: From Hawthorne to Hemingway
  • Six Plays: Peer Gynt / A Doll's House / Ghosts / The Wild Duck / Hedda Gabler / The Master Builder
  • Collected Stories of Guy De Maupassant
  • Maggie: A Girl of the Streets and Other Tales of New York
  • Thuvia, Maid of Mars/The Chessmen of Mars (Barsoom, #4-5)
  • The Communist Manifesto and Other Writings
  • The Rise of Silas Lapham
  • The Tragedy of Pudd'nhead Wilson/Those Extraordinary Twins
  • The Country of the Pointed Firs and Other Stories
  • The Mother's Recompense
  • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man / Dubliners
  • The Withered Arm and Other Stories 1874-1888
  • The Rhetoric & The Poetics of Aristotle (Modern Library)
  • Founding America: Documents from the Revolution to the Bill of Rights
  • The Best American Mystery Stories 2009
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe ...more
More about George Eliot...