Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

Silas Marner and Two Short Stories (Barnes & Noble Classics Series)

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  109 ratings  ·  10 reviews
Silas Marner and Two Short Stories," by George Eliot, is part of the "Barnes & Noble Classics"" "series, which offers quality editions at affordable prices to the student and the general reader, including new scholarship, thoughtful design, and pages of carefully crafted extras. Here are some of the remarkable features of "Barnes & Noble Classics" New introductions...more
Published June 1st 2009 by Barnes & Noble Classics (first published 1861)

Amanda
I had to write a paper about this for my lit class, so it is my review.

(view spoiler)...more
Molly Jae
What I learned from this book is how tender and sweet love can change a person, and bring hope and purpose into a life that has long ago been dimmed by misfortune and isolation. It took me a few pages to get into the language and rhythm of Eliot's short story. It reminds me of Thomas Hardy or Charles Dickens, and just takes reading a few pages before I can hear the words correctly in my head. The story takes place in the late 1700's, in Raveloe,a small English village where Silas has come to set...more
Monique
It's hard to know where to start in my praise for George Eliot. Though her thoughts and observations are serious and insightful, her characters are still rich, funny, lovable, and despicable all at the same time. Silas Marner is a masterfully written story of redemption and family, without ever feeling stuffy or pretentious. Although it has a certain fairy-tale element, the depictions of the characters' lives are fresh and relatable. It seems useless to go on. I. Love. George. Eliot.
Becca
So, this is the book I decided to read for AP Lit. And I liked it. For a school book, I really liked it. Especially after Eppie showed up. The ending was really good, and the plot was interesting. I liked Silas and Eppie, althought there were some characters I really didn't like. The biggest problem was all the fluff. Some parts just took FOREVER to read because of all the fluff or just being slow. Overall, I like the book a lot, but I probably wouldn't read it again.
Anna
I am glad to say I have read a novel by George Eliot. I have tried unsuccessfully to read Middlemarch many times, so I am glad I was able to read Silas Marner. But she just gives me way too many details about village life that I just cant get into and too much information about characters who are not involve dint he story at all. George Eliot is my favorite professor's favorite author, but I just cant get into her!
Cindy
Liked the book better than the first time I read it in high school. Listen to the audio version and enjoyed it. I think it also helped that the introduction talked about the story being a fairy tale. That really helped me understand the novel and helped put a "glow" on the story.

Michelle
Although sweet and well written, I wasn't exactly riveted or surprised by the action. This does make me want to read one of her more well known novels like Middlemarch. But not for a while. I think I need a break from her prose.
Lori
Excellent book and beautiful writing.
The Lifted Veil was simply amazing. Poe has nothing on Eliot.
Brother Jacob was a bit too off-beat for me, but still a good read. Humorous and sarcastic.
Molly
Silas Marner really drags at the beginning, but it gets better as it goes. The stories at the end were really weird/interesting!
Tori
Not what I was expecting, but I liked it. The two short stories were just okay though.
Cassidy
Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Lemmy
Lemmy marked it as to-read
May 30, 2014
Kelsey Ruckert
Kelsey Ruckert marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Rachel Tepfer
Rachel Tepfer marked it as to-read
May 14, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
May 01, 2014
Sherri Hartsell
Sherri Hartsell marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Tucker
Tucker marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Alice L.
Alice L. marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Matthew Curl
Matthew Curl marked it as to-read
Mar 22, 2014
Lynsy
Lynsy marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Sal
Sal marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2014
Tony Gamboni
Tony Gamboni marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Xav
Xav marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2013
Applesauce Zee
Applesauce Zee is currently reading it
Dec 03, 2013
In 1819, novelist George Eliot (nee Mary Ann Evans), was born at a farmstead in Nuneaton, Warwickshire, England, where her father was estate manager. Mary Ann, the youngest child and a favorite of her father's, received a good education for a young woman of her day. Influenced by a favorite governess, she became a religious evangelical as an adolescent. Her first published work was a religious poe...more
More about George Eliot...
Middlemarch Silas Marner The Mill on the Floss Adam Bede Daniel Deronda