Chimerascope

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  21 reviews
2011 jury selection for Sunburst Award short-list
Current 2011 finalist for Aurora Award
2011 CBC Bookies Award finalist for Best Collection

Chimerascope - a story of many parts: A dinner conversation takes three lifetimes to finish; a geologist faces a planet-sized, eons-old puzzle to save her crew; the hero of the Fall of Earth must choose between love and revenge; a man is...more
Published March 15th 2010 by ChiZine Publications

Liviu
If there is a theme to such a complex collection, it is "change and adaptability". And while the heroes and heroines of the stories here are confronted by major upheavals and challenges, not all manage to overcome them successfully, or sometimes the price is just too high.

I will present a short discussion story by story, while I recommend to check the excerpt site on the author's website for a taste of each of the pieces in the collection.

Scream Angel
Chimerascope starts with a bang in this power...more
Krista D.
(Original review appeared at http://sleeplessereader.blogspot.com/...)

I had intended the read the first story, get a feel for the collection, and then book a time that I would read it all. No way. This collection was impossible to put down. This contains one of the best collections of speculative fiction I have ever read. There is a reason that the majority of these stories have won awards and nominations. Smith is absolutely brilliant as he proves SF is every bit as intelligent and thought-prov...more
Rose
Oct 19, 2010 Rose rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: speculative fiction, fantasy/sci-fi readers
Shelves: short-story, sci-fi
Douglas Smith offers a brilliant collection of sixteen short stories, all award-nominations or winners. I understand this is his second published short story collection, but for me, this is my introduction to the author.

Where some authors may offer reflections upon similar themes, Smith's short stories are certainly fitting to their respective title, giving a range of distinct characters in various situations that are colorful, sometimes whimsical, sometimes horrifying in the realm of speculativ...more
Kelly
Oct 05, 2010 Kelly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: ebook
Last year I had the opportunity to read and review ‘PS Showcase #5: Impossibilia’ by Douglas Smith. Had I been seeking fault in the slim anthology, I might have simply lamented the fact that there were only three stories. Of course, three stories from Douglas Smith are to be treasured but, like most human beings, I acknowledge and indulge in the sin of greed. I wanted more. My wish was granted and I did receive more, three hundred and thirty two pages of more.

‘Chimerascope’ is the first full co...more
Donald
Another Goodreads giveaway title. I was notified on April 09, 2010 that it should arrive in 4 - 6 weeks and thank yuh.

Got it in the mail today, April 28th. It has to wait a bit...

June 29, 2010:
Douglas Smith starts Chimerascope (ki-meer-uh-scope) with an award winning story “Scream Angel”; which starts with an award winning line: “They stopped beating Trelayne when they saw that he enjoyed it.”

Right from the start I was hooked.

In all there are sixteen stories that dip their feet in fantasy, scien...more
Laura Rainbow Dragon
Douglas Smith's Chimerascope is a fantastic collection of stories by one of Canada's finest writers. It is a handsome book--Erik Mohr's cover artwork is gorgeous--and the sixteen stories contained within its pages are both wondrous and powerful.

The stories in Chimerascope span a decade of Doug's work and include both fantasy and science fiction, humour and horror, action-packed adventure and quiet meditation. It's impossible for me to pick a favourite from this collection. All of the stories are...more
Morning
Steve
Enjoyed every story except one....very good stuff.
Naberius
Interesting, disturbing, thought-provoking.
David Gallay
Great variety of stories, definitely recommended.
Beryl S.K.
Great stuff.
Margaryta
This book is like one of those dishes you order at a restaurant or a dessert at a cafe - you need to savor it slowly, to allow every mouthful to dissolve and taste each bit of flavor. It was phenomenal.

What drew me in with this one is not just the gorgeous cover but also the title. When I was reading it in class I had people ask me what it was about because the title caught their attention. The contents of this book are, of course, the true hidden gem and I'm so surprised that this book is not h...more
Kristene Perron
Chimerascope, a collection of speculative fiction short stories, enchants, horrifies, enlightens, and mesmerizes. Through each tale, no matter the tone or subject, Smith connects the reader instantly with his characters and they are as unforgettable as they are diverse. From the broken and twisted (Jason Trelayne of “Scream Angel”, John Bishop of “Memories of the Dead Man”) to the ethereal and innocent (Asai “The Red Bird, Big G “Going Harvey in the Big House”), these characters step off the pag...more
I'm just going to start out by saying how amazing the cover is! It is what drew me to the book as I had never read anything by Douglas Smith and it ended up being a spur of the moment buy and wow...am I ever glad that I picked it up.

I have to admit that reading the first short story I had my doubts about the book and I wasn't sure if I was going to enjoy it. I didn't care for the style of writing of the first story and I just wasn't connecting with the characters, but I pushed through it and fr...more
Weiss
Awesome. This is a great dose of sci-fi, perfect variety and great writing style. I cried at a few of the endings, but mostly because they resonated with me. About two of the stories seemed slightly forced, maybe due to the schedule, but the rest flowed perfectly. I'll be looking for more books by Douglas Smith.
Alicia
Apr 29, 2010 Alicia marked it as to-read
Won from first reads!! LOVE the cover. Can't wait to read this!
Bryan
Pretty awesome short stories.
Patrick
A mixed bag of short stories from an award-winning Canadian speculative fiction writer. Like any collection, some of the stories are better than others. In fact, I was surprised at the ones that had been finalists for the Aurora Award, as these were often my least-favorite. I would definitely read a longer work by Smith, especially one set in the "Dead Man"/"Scream Angel" universe. Total rating: 2.9.

"Scream Angel": Solid sci-fi tale with strong storytelling. (Four stars)

"The Red Bird": Well-told...more
William Freedman
Douglas Smith is an outstanding writer. Then again, Roy Halladay is a Cy Young Award-winning pitcher, but he can't throw a change-up.

The Chimerascope collection highlights Smith's prodigious strengths, but by exposing weaknesses that I wouldn't have known about no less bring up here if only his best works had been included. This doesn't happen very often, but the flaws in this book have more to do with the editing than the writing.

This anthology is my first exposure to Smith, so here's what I ta...more
Tim Hicks
This book has wide variety and what seem like good story ideas. I can't say why they just left me flat. A couple of the stories became predictable despite their strong starts; maybe that's it. Maybe I feel as if Smith is trying too hard instead of just relaxing and telling me a story. But there are many good reviews out there, so I am just going to say that maybe I read this at the wrong time or something. (Right after Iain M. Banks's The Wasp Factory, maybe that's why).
Amy
Aug 16, 2010 Amy rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
This had a couple good stories in it, and some that I only read to get to the next one. The variety was fun, though.
Zack
Some tales were awesome while others not as much.
Jackie
Jackie marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2014
Kelly
Kelly is currently reading it
Apr 13, 2014
Darryl Foster
Darryl Foster marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014
Courtney
Courtney marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2014
Poeticdemise
Poeticdemise marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Tim Anderson
Tim Anderson marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Morgan
Morgan marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Jessica Baker
Jessica Baker marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
  • V.B. Rose Volume 3
  • Cyberabad Days
  • Shine: An Anthology of Optimistic SF
  • Voltaire's Calligrapher: A Novel
"His stories are a treasure trove of riches that will touch your heart while making you think." —Robert J. Sawyer, award-winning author

Hi! Thanks for visiting. I'm an award-winning Canadian author of fantasy, SF, horror, supernatural, and the ever popular "undefinable", with over a hundred story sales in thirty countries and twenty-five languages around the world.

I have won Canada's Aurora Award f...more
More about Douglas Smith...
Scream Angel Jigsaw By Her Hand, She Draws You Down A Taste Sweet and Salty Bouquet of Flowers in a Vase, by Van Gogh