Start by marking “Keeping the Moon” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Moon

Sarah Dessen

Keeping the Moon

3.86  ·  Rating Details ·  50,672 Ratings  ·  2,271 Reviews
Fifteen-year-old Colie was overweight until she lost more than 40 pounds. Yet she still carries with her the memories of the torment she experienced from peers. When her mother, a successful aerobics guru, takes her fat-fighting program to Europe for the summer, Colie goes to live with her eccentric and wise Aunt Mira in Colby, North Carolina. There, she befriends smart 20 ...more
Published 2009 by Recorded Books (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Moon, please sign up.

Aaliyah My personal favorites are; The Truth About Forever, Lock and Key, and What Happened to Goodbye.

Ash
Nov 20, 2015 Ash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I just finished re-reading this book. I first read it a few years back when I was 14 so I've been waiting a while to re-read this book and give it a proper review. I thought that it might be hard for me to get back into since I'd already read it and was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I did when I was younger. But I found myself just as interested as I was the first time. Laughing at the same parts, anticipating the same things and loving all the characters. Colie is so real and Desse ...more
Whitney Atkinson
May 22, 2015 Whitney Atkinson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Abby
For me, this wasn't as good as other Sarah Dessen books. And before I even begin reading it, I've had high expectations on this one, because I've read that this is Sarah's favorite among the books she'd written. But it doesn't quite keep me interested in it like her other novels did.

I don't really like Colie (the main character & narrator) that much. She's just usually quiet and doesn't stand up for herself, not until the very end. And I kept waiting for something big to happen, like a twist
Pinky
Nov 04, 2015 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have great news guys! I am finally done my Sarah Dessen marathon! I know I haven't read Someone Like You, but I wasn't planning on reading that book. I am so happy to move onto other books, I loved doing this marathon but I went through many ups and downs. Sometimes, I wasn't a huge fan of her books but most of the time, I loved her books.

HAPPY DANCE!

Colie is a fifteen year old girl who has been bu
Colie feels like she has been abandoned, and to anyone else, it might actually look that way to, being dropped off to spend the summer with an Aunt she hardly knows. As Colie tries to adjust to her very different Aunt Mira and her strange artistic tenant, Norman, she lands a waitressing job at the local diner and meets Morgan and Isabel, two girls who have gone through high school and survived. Over the course of the summer Colie finds out this might have been just what she needed.

I really liked
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, confidence, unique, girl-power, change.

This was my first ever Sarah Dessen and I definitely enjoyed it. It was a relatively quick read that I didn't have to focus 100% on - which is a good thing as I was puppy-sitting.

Last Chance was quite empowering. It made me feel good. But it also made me angry. I hate bullies. I can't stand them.

I liked that all of the characters had changed by the end and that you learned so much about them. They were quirky, multi-dimensional and beli
Wendy Darling
Not my favorite Dessen, but like all her books that I've read so far, it's compulsively readable and likable, and full of great, quirky characters, honest emotion, and unforgettable settings. I love the way Dessen writes female friendships in particular--they always feel real and nuanced, veering from loving exasperation to crazy joy to impatience to rock-steady love. Just like all the best relationships I've known in real life.
Cara
Apr 10, 2014 Cara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
My first Dessen read and the one that lead me to her other marvelous novels. I drank the kool-aid once and never turned back.

I need to do a proper review for this one day. It has a good lesson on how other people can help you and that sometimes you are more special than you thought you were. The title fits and is such a cool name.
Alicia O'Carrick

She lifted my chin so I had to look at her. “It’s all about you, Colie.” She touched one finger to her temple, tap tap tap. “Believe in yourself up here and it will make you stronger than you could ever imagine.”

It’s kind of fascinating to look at an author’s earlier work and compare it to their more recent books. Have they changed? Have they stayed the same? Do you even recognize them anymore?

That’s how I felt reading Keeping The Moon. It is the oldest of Sarah Dessen’s books that I’ve ever
Mandy
Mar 03, 2016 Mandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book I read by Sarah has such a powerful lesson to be learned. And this is no exception. Absolutely wonderful story.
Trinity

I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure I was going to like it in the beginning chapter because Colie was a little irritating at first. I then started to grow to like her though. Sarah Dessen seems to do this a lot in her books, I've realized this, that she seems to skim through the days. I think that's why I always would give her books 4 stars instead of 5 because I wanted it to be more descriptive I guess. But I do love her books, they are very beautiful.

- Colie
So as I said, I didn't reall
Carina BoneBooks
Drei Gründe für drei Sterne.
1. Auch wenn sich Sarah Dessen mit Colie dem Klischee des einst dicken Mädchens ohne Freunde, der Außenseiterin ohne Selbst- und Sozialbewusstsein bedient, die erst glücklich werden kann, als sie sich selbst schließlich schön findet, verkörpern Norman, Kiki, Mira, Isabel und Morgan fünf ganz andere, komplett verschiedene Wege glücklich zu werden. Teil halsbrecherisch, teils hochmotiviert, teils weise. Diese Vielfalt hat mir sehr gefallen!!
2. Die Lovestory steht nicht
Justin
Jun 24, 2015 Justin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once you’ve read several of Sarah’s books, you really start to get a sense as to what you can expect from all the others. I find time and time again that the overall writing style in Sarah’s books really doesn’t change an a lot from book to book. That isn’t particularly a negative thing, because she is a wonderful writer. Even though she is a wonderful writer, that doesn’t stop certain things from becoming slightly repetitive.

Keeping the Moon while having the writing style I have become accusto
Aoibhínn
I enjoyed this novel. The story revolves around the character of Nicole "Colie" Sparks, a fifteen year old girl. While Colie's mother, a famous fitness guru, is doing a fitness tour in Europe, Colie is sent away to live with her aunt Mira in a small town in North Carolina.

I found myself captivated by the characters in this novel and the relationships they have with each other. Colie's story of finding herself and realising the potential that has been there within her all along, is heart-warming
Anne Osterlund
Nov 30, 2012 Anne Osterlund rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Colie has no faith in herself. Her mother is a star—a fitness queen who exercised her way out of 100 plus pounds, homelessness, and the country. Leaving Colie to experience the summer with her aunt in a nameless town where the only notable eatery is called Last Chance. But Colie knows better than to anticipate a new start for herself. She has moved often enough to expect the inevitable taunts, the derision, and the isolation.

Sure enough, even though she’s no longer Fat-Colie or Hole-in-One-Colie
Talya
Nov 28, 2012 Talya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen is a realistic fiction, and young adult story about a girl named Colie who has trouble making friends because she has never had any. Being overweight when she was younger didn’t help the situation. A few years later, when Colie got slim, everyone at school still hates her. Her mother, who has also lost weight, is a world famous workout woman who is going on a tour in Europe. Colie leaves her town in North Carolina to stay in Colby for the summer with her aunt Mir ...more
Josheka
More of my reviews @ Reading 24x7

Keeping The Moon was short, sweet and like all other Dessen books, had that "wise" message in the end.

This book was just so normal and plain and..normal. Yet for some reason once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. See, that's always the case when I read any Sarah Dessen books. They're like music which makes you wanna just leave everything else and get into the flow. The messages that's always there in her books are so wonderful and we can always expect to le
Stephanie
3/5 stars. It was a good book but not nearly as good as the other books I have read by Sarah Dessen. And it only took me a year to finish lol :p

I did really like Morgan though. Her and Colie's friendship reminded me of one dear friendship I had in my life. I was Colie- Had zero friends and zero self confidence. This girl befriended me when I was a freshman and she was a senior. She was a lot like Morgan fun and looking on the bright side. But, like Morgan had horrible taste in guys. She also ha
Caitlyn
This is by no means my favorite novel by Sarah Dessen. I knew what I was getting into when I started it. Sarah Dessen generally follows the same rough pattern with her books, but this one fell short for whatever reason.

Though character depth is not something I associate with Dessen, I think that she achieves the height of it in her longer books (like Lock and Key) than in her shorter novels. I didn't connect much with Colie because there wasn't much there to connect with. The secondary character
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've read almost all of Sarah Dessen's books and, I must say, her books are absolutely brilliant. This isn't my favorite of hers, but this was still a very good book.

This book focuses on Colie. Both Colie and her mom used to be fat, until her mom becomes Kiki Sparks, fitness guru. Now both Colie and her mom are skinny and Kiki Sparks is famous for getting people fit! Kiki has to go on tour, so Colie is left with her electric a
Lauren Fidler
so, on the inside flap (which i assume has a technical name, but i don't know it), it reads: it's like a cinderella tale that could really happen to you. i paraphrase, but the gist is accurate.

let's get this straight, then: my mother could be a weight loss guru (female richard simmons) who pawns me off on my eccentric morbidly obese aunt who loves broken things because nobody's perfect and once i'm there i can get an impromptu summer job at a diner/cafe where i meet two girls 1. who is a beautif
Valerie
Sep 19, 2009 Valerie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book was about 4 years ago so I decided to read it again and I was still just as interested in it as I was then. This is the book that first got me started on reading Sarah Dessen books. Its a good starter too since it isn't as dark as some of her other books.

Colie seems to hold herself back so much in the start of the book. She is also a bit of a push over which isn't what you would expect from a girl with dyed black hair and a lip piercing. However as the book progr
Jenny  (Jenny's Books)
I really enjoyed Keeping the Moon.
The characters were very relatable. I felt that most girls can remember feeling lost and lonely like Coley does.
Each of Dessen books get better than the last. I'm excited to start the next.
Lisa (Lost in Literature)
“It’s so, so stupid what we do to ourselves because we’re afraid. It’s so stupid.”

Colie and her mother, Kiki Sparks, fitness guru, used to be quite heavy. Because of this, Colie went through a lot of teasing back home in school. Upon her mother’s transformation into Kiki Sparks, both Kiki and Colie lose weight and become much healthier, avoiding all fatty foods and living a healthy lifestyle. Because Kiki is going on tour in Europe for the summer promoting her fitness regimen, Colie is sent to s
ღ Suus ღ
Sarah dessen i love you!

Weer een leuk boek van Sarah dessen. Ik vind haar schrijfstijl zo fijn.

- review volgt -

Vienna
Aug 24, 2015 Vienna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*4.5 stars* I loved this story!
The Bookavid
Originally Published On My Review Blog The Bookavid

In KEEPING THE MOON, Colie moves in with her aunt for the summer and is not excited about it. Especially not about Norman, the hippie subtenant who seems to be going out of his way to help everyone.

What intrigued me: I needed a cute, quick contemporary to relax from all the high-concept stuff I read. I never really got into Sarah Dessen's books. I want to give a couple of them a try.

Very relatable

I don't understand how Dessen manages these s
Vale (BooksAndTea58)
Feb 22, 2014 Vale (BooksAndTea58) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Can I just say I would give this book a billion stars? awww It was just so cute and heartwarming, it is about Colie, a girl who struggled with her weight in the past, that now is in perfect body shape, thanks to her mother who became a fitness star and who helped her through her weight-loss path. She is sent to her Aunt's house at the beach, in order to spend there her holidays. When she arrives, she doesn't really expect that she will find friends and love, together with herself.
my favourite q
Lekeisha The Booknerd
*3.5 Stars*

Full RTC. I'm doing a mini Dessen marathon, so I think I'll read 2 more before I finish.
Jeleni
Mar 21, 2012 Jeleni rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012-in-books, iown
Sarah Dessen is one of my favorite Authors. I like her writing style, how she manages to put emotion into words in her stories. Her books leave me equipped with knowledge, experience even.
This book is like all of her books I have read. Well written with a story that captured my heart, left me wanting to know what happens next as I turned the pages.
Colie was a girl with self esteem issues. Morgan, Isabel, Norman and Mira all help her to see herself for what she truelly is.
This story had the per
  • The Secret Life of Prince Charming
  • Take Me There
  • Fixing Delilah
  • Stealing Heaven
  • Girl Overboard
  • Girl at Sea
  • Love and Other Four-Letter Words
  • Love and Peaches (Peaches, #3)
  • Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5)
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Love Story
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks
  • Pants on Fire

“You should never be surprised when someone treats you with respect, you should expect it.” 3318 likes
“I don't believe in failure, because simply by saying you've failed, you've admitted you attempted. And anyone who attempts is not a failure. Those who truly fail in my eyes are the ones who never try at all. The ones who sit on the couch and whine and moan and wait for the world to change for them.” 1492 likes