Start by marking “Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]” as Want to Read:
Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]

Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3] (L'Ascension du Haut Mal #1-3 omnibus)

David B.'s tribulations with his brother's epilepsy, the way in which the illness determined the author's artistic vocation, with, as a backdrop, a sharply delienated parade of the chimera of the 70s, from the promise of communal living to the infatuation with macrobiotics, all combine to make of this graphic novel one of the most distinctive autobiographical works of cont ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by Fantagraphics Books

To ask other readers questions about Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3], please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]

Dec 25, 2008 HeavyReader rated it it was ok
I wasn't so thrilled by this comic.

It is really dark, which is fine, but it just kind of bothered me, instead of making me feel any deep emotion.
Sep 24, 2007 Summer rated it did not like it
How could I possibly give this version of Epileptic one star while giving another version five stars? Because Fantagraphics royally screwed up in the printing and distribution. I got a deal on Vol. 1 and bought it, planning to get Vol. 2 soon afterwards, but found out that they cancelled the printing of Vol. 2 in favor of making just one big book. So now I'm stuck with a superfluous half-book that's too good to throw away, but who would buy it? Great job, Fantagraphics.
Nov 29, 2007 Kate rated it liked it
The first three parts of a six-part graphic memoir about a French youth whose family life is driven by his older brother's seizure disorder. The family joins various terrible macrobiotic communes while the kids live in their fantasies. Scary, dark, and I can't get it out of my head that the author may have inadvertently caused the epilepsy by pushing his brother down the stairs all those time. I love the monsters representing disease, and the stories about the author's lineage.
Aug 17, 2009 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, memoir, brains
This was a tough read. I think it might have done well with some additional editing. The vast expanses of description of the various therapies and movements that the author's family tried in their search for a cure for their son with epilepsy were needlessly long, and there were several vignettes that seemed a bit out of place or unnecessary.
That said, the graphic style was intricate and disturbing; at times the author's style seemed very original, and at times it seemed to be borrowing from ot
Rahman seblat
Sep 17, 2008 Rahman seblat rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
novel grafis yang memikat. saat pertama memegang buku ini. jangan hiraukan bacaannya dulu. nikmati goresan dan gambar david b yang dahsyat dan imajinatif. baru, pelan-pelan, kunyahlah isi buku. akan ada petualangan fantastis tentang seorang penderita epilepsi disana.
Jan 13, 2009 Mel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
dark. tapi coretan gambarnya menurut saya bagus (ini novel grafis).
bagaimana dengan memoar-nya? dengan dibubuhi sedikit fiksi atau tanpa, bagi saya kisah hidup tetap dapat dinikmati. karena telah memberi saya kesempatan untuk membaca 'skenario' hidup orang lain.

3.5 bintang.
Cintantya Sotya Ratri
sejujurnya aku suka sekali membaca cerita yang ada ilustrasinya, apalagi ini graphic novel. Ceritanya menarik dan disampaikan dengan aura 'dark'. Menurutku gambar dari novel ini berkharakter sehingga bisa dijadikan koleksi yang layak disimpan.
May 18, 2009 htanzil rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(Review Epileptik 1&2)

Ada banyak cara berbagi pengalaman hidup dengan orang lain, terlebih bagi mereka yang merupakan orang-orang terkenal (politikus, artis, wartawan senior, tokoh masyarakat, dll). Umumnya kisah-kisah hidup mereka tersaji dalam bentuk tulisan yang disebut dengan memoir, biografi, autobiografi, dll, dari yang sekedar untuk menonjolkan figur dirinya guna tujuan tertentu, hingga kisah kehidupan sejujurnya baik yang baik maupun yang buruk sebagai pembelajaran kehidupan bagi mer
Aug 07, 2009 Rade rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
versi indonesia:
mencengangkan, betapa penyakit bisa begitu menggerogoti aktualisasi diri seseorang, bahkan keluarga.
Gara2 lihat di berita kemarin ada orang yang mobilnya nyerempet puluhan orang yg sedang gerak jalan gara2 penyakit ayannya kambuh, jadi pengin baca buku ini. Cari ahh..
The original book was in French and to my amazement it was translated to Indonesia by Gramedia. Kudos for Gramedia for translating this book. It is not a typical commercial book that can get easily sold so there's must be some one in Gramedia who really did enjow the high concept of comic book!

The book, in my humble opinion, is an honest painfull expression of how epilepsy on one man ( the writer's older brother) impact the writer and his family and how they all try to cope with situation, tryin
Oct 15, 2010 owl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owl
*review pake gaya "ngomong sendiri"*

"ayo di, kita main bola lagi."
"epilepsi bukan penyakit menular dan bukan penyakit memalukan"

inget gak sama iklan layanan masyarakat itu? aku sih sampe sekarang masih keinget. soalnya nempel banget di kepala. karena dulu iklan tersebut jadi bahan guyonan di lingkungan sepermainan aku. semisal, cuma karna pengen ngejek temen, jadi pake kata-kata "ayo di, kita main lagi" yang sama artinya bergurau bahwa temenku itu epilepsi. tapi seriusan, saat itu aku enggak tah
Oct 22, 2010 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
From my blog:

Epileptic has been on my to-read list for a while, and I finally got around to it last night/today. It was quietly violent and a little gut-wrenching and mostly a good, intelligent, memorable read. I would've liked to have read it in the original language (French) - and am also looking forward to David B's other work, if I can find it.
Apr 20, 2011 Allie rated it it was ok
This seemed so much like a book I would love, but it turned out to be pretty boring. I felt no emotional connection to the text. The illustrations are also very childish, and (for me) detracted from the story. The redeeming qualities of this are its uniqueness and the fact that diseases are drawn as physical creatures.
Aklam Panyun
Apr 26, 2011 Aklam Panyun rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ini novel grafis keren banget! Ingatan saya langsung terbang ke film Persepolis yang hitam putih itu. Narasinya nggak biasa dan illustrasinya imajinatif. Lebih dari semua itu: buku ini mengajak jujur dengan perasaan kita sendiri.
May 01, 2011 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Epileptic 1 translates the first three installments of L'Ascension du Haut-Mal, a six-volume series about the author's childhood experiences, as his brother develops epilepsy and the disease consumes the lives of everyone in his family. Although it deals with heartbreak, suffering, and confusion, it keeps a wonderfully touching and even funny perspective throughout.

I especially liked the way that his artistry complemented his story - what appear to be pictures of ordinary scenes actually conceal
Dinna Fitriyana
May 19, 2011 Dinna Fitriyana rated it liked it
have you ever picture your dead grandpa as ugly as a bird? or your yin yang master as a lion? well, david b. has. he "animalized" people. instead of making it funny or annoying, david successfully expressed his strong feeling over it. this is mesmerized me.
another thing is i could proudly say that epileptic is the most honest novel i've ever read. touching? no. it just feels so true... and naive, but true :)

Jun 14, 2011 Palsay rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, memoar
ternyata menjadi seorang yang memiliki penyakit epilepsi atau seseorang yang memiliki keluarga dengan penyakit ini sangat-sangat tersiksa...saya ga pernah nyangka sampai begitu kelamnya hidup David B dan keluarganya, terutama abangnya yang memiliki penyakit ini.

saya ingat dulu ada seorang teman yang serng sekali pingsan di sekolah. namun gejalanya sama sekali tidak mirip dengan epilepsi. saat itu aja saya merasa betapa sulitnya hidup menjadi dirinya, apalagi seperti abangnya David yang setiap t
Aug 08, 2011 an rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoar, punya
keinginan bebas kita sangat terbatas sehingga hanya mempengaruhi 1% tindakan kita. tapi anakmu, penyakit na mengurangi keinginan bebas na kurang dari rata-rata. kita tidak bebas, tapi dia lebih lagi

imajinasi masa kanak-kanak david yang tinggal dengan seorang kakak yang mengidap epilepsi ternyata telah membawa na pada sebuah karya. dunia suram yang sela ini dia sembunyikan melalui baju baja na yang berupa senyuman ternyata terkuak melalui novel grafis memoar keluarga yang hidup dengan pengidap ep
Sep 09, 2011 milka rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Novel grafis yang satu ini beda banget grafisnya dibandingkan novel-novel grafis lain terbitan GPU. Baru selesai dengan seri 1, dan mulai berharap seri 2 nya bakal sama serunya. Gambar-gambarnya gelap tapi meriah, ceritanya pekat tapi dikisahkan dengan keceriaan. Semacam satir yang membuat kecanduan, tidak tahan tidak membaca sekaligus sampai habis :)
Dec 11, 2011 Asna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Epileptik dipenuhi gambar-gambar yang tidak menyenangkan untuk dilihat, suram dan tidak jelas. Tapi ceritanya sangat jujur dan entah bagaimana, saya tidak bisa melepaskan mata saya dari tiap halaman karena penasaran bagaimana kisah ini akan berakhir.
Apr 22, 2012 Franky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Novel terjemahan Perancis versi omnibus terbaik yang pernah saya baca. Mengingatkan pada Paris J'Taime. Voila!!!
Nadia Fadhillah
Jul 21, 2012 Nadia Fadhillah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Tadinya aku tidak mengerti apa arti epileptik. Ternyata penyakit Epilepsi. Novel-grafis ini bercerita tentang keluarga penulisnya yang memiliki anak tertua, kakak lelaki David, yang memiliki penyakit epilepsi.

Penyakit epilepsi ini diceritakan dianggap penyakit menjijikkan sehingga dicemooh masyarakat sekitar. Selain itu, penyakit ini pun dimanfaatkan oleh banyak dokter dan ilmuwan untuk diteliti dan nantinya mereka bisa terkenal. Aku suka sekali gambar covernya. Gambar ayah, ibu, dan kakak David

Jadi ingat saudara sepupu yang juga menderita epilepsi. Pengalaman keluarganya juga mirip seperti keluarga David, dari dokter ke dokter, dari pengobatan alternatif satu ke yang lainnya, puncaknya di operasi di Semarang, tapi tidak ada hasil.

Jika seorang anggota keluarga menderita penyakit kronis, semua anggota yang lain pasti merasakan dampak langsung.
Kate Miller
Jan 13, 2013 Kate Miller rated it it was amazing
I have not read many graphic novels but I really loved this one. Incredibly honest look at a family struggling with an incurable disease and a tonne of interesting anecdotes about various healers.
Rebecca Dye
Nov 19, 2013 Rebecca Dye rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
I love this printing - it feels like this is how the whole book should have been published. Great comic.
This is volume one of the awesome memoir of a young man growing up in France in the 1960s and 70s. David's older brother, Jean-Christophe, suffers from intractable epilepsy, sometimes suffering multiple seizures per day. When all medical science can offer is doping Jean-Christophe into catatonia or risky surgery that could lead to blindness or worse, David's parents start to seek answers in alternative medicine and spiritualism.

The artwork and storytelling is truly impressive. David's complex b
Reading challange: read a Graphic novel. CHECK

The title caught my attention down in the comic book store because in truth I am an epileptic myself. After having stumbled upon this book I checked with good reads. I found that this book has gotten much praise. Having now read the book I'm not sure what to say about that. This book is weird in its own way. But I liked that i could relate to some of the feelings and descriptions. I'm torn.
Jul 26, 2016 Joe rated it really liked it
This is probably one of the best graphic novel form the 21st century that you will ever read. This heart warming display of how love always triumphs is a great book for all looking for a great comic to read at night or any time of the day. And to top it all of it all a true story.
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • Charley's War, Volume 1: 2 June – 1 August 1916 (Charley’s War, #1)
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • American Knees
  • Hapa Girl: A Memoir
  • Get a Life
  • Mom's Cancer
  • Charlie Brown and Snoopy (Peanuts Coronet, #25)
  • Tropical Fish: Tales from Entebbe
  • Candy
  • When the Rainbow Goddess Wept
  • The Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service, Volume 9
Pierre-François Beauchard, who uses the pen name David B., was one of the initiators of the French alternative editorial house L'Association, and is now well-known among the French comics audience. After his Applied Arts studies, David B. had his first publications in magazines such as Chic, Circus, Okapi and A Suivre. Among his early creations are 'Le Timbre Maudit', a story published in Okapi, a ...more
More about David B....

L'Ascension du Haut Mal (6 books)
  • L'Ascension du haut mal, tome 1