Start by marking “Irish Hearts (Irish Hearts #1 & 2)” as Want to Read:
Irish Hearts (Irish Hearts #1 & 2)

Irish Hearts (Irish Hearts #1-2)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,641 Ratings  ·  183 Reviews

Two complete novels.

Adelia Cunnane. Her hot temper sent the heart of Travis Grant aflame. Now the proud, powerful owner of Royal Meadows horse farm resolved to make this wild Irish Thoroughbred his own.

Erin McKinnon. A bold beauty, she accepted Burke Logan's loveless proposal and his cool promise of security and wealth. But could this ravishing Irish Rose win her hard-hear

Published June 1st 2000 by Silhouette Books (first published 1988)

Mo
Dec 08, 2012 Mo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Please people, don't think irish people are like this. The "heroine" came across as being from the back end of beyond not having a clue about anything. Don't mind her being a virgin - we all were at some stage and me, being Irish, was probably one a lot longer than most, especially as I am Catholic along with that. I never read another Nora Roberts after this. Nobody in Ireland says "aye" or calls someone Mistress Bowers or whoever it was ... read the first story and could not finish it. Pains m ...more
Amy
As always a great book by Nora Roberts, whenever I don't know what to read I go back to her books and they are always great no matter how many times you read them. With any other author the fast pace of these books just wouldn't work, Roberts manages to make otherwise corny or tired cliches/tropes refreshing because they ALWAYS suit the characters. The fast paced love, the constant fighting and tempers, even the shotgun marriages are all compelling to read about because you can actually see it h ...more
Maria
Aug 19, 2011 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found both stories in the book to be entertaining and different in an unexpected way. In Irish Thoroughbred I loved that Adelia is a tiny spitfire and how she loves Travis unconditionally, although they are at odds for the majority of the story because of a lack of communication, very common in Nora Roberts' novels. I did love the fact that it wasn't the traditional proposal at the end novel, like the majority of Nora Roberts' stories, and how Adelia went into willingly and determined to make ...more
Melanie
Mar 29, 2015 Melanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Nope. BEYOND awful. Ditched it 50 pages in. I got this at a used book sale and was fooled by the 2011 date on it. That's the REPUBLISHED date. These are actually from 1981/88 and ridiculously dated. Take your grown-ass woman who is written like a 12 year old of low intelligence and the boorish man who bruises her with 'love' and boot them right back to the 80's, thanks.
Miss Kim
Aug 11, 2008 Miss Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nora fans
Shelves: 2008
I really enjoy Nora Roberts' stories connected to Ireland. This book contains her first novel, Irish Thoroughbred, and its sequel, Irish Rose.
Irish Thoroughbred – Adelia Cunnane leaves Ireland for America to work on a horse farm with her uncle Paddy. She becomes a groom for the stable’s owner, Travis Grant. Uncle Paddy becomes ill and while ailing in the hospital he confesses that he wants to see them get together. Travis convinces Adelia that they should be married immediately to ‘help uncle Pa
Jul 15, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Betty
Aug 24, 2015 Betty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not usually into this type of romance but I'm on an "Irish kick" right now, so this intrigued me. Typical Norah Roberts romance with sexual overtones. Two stories about two Irish girls who both come to American and get involved in the American racetrack world. Very interesting.
Rochelle
Irish Thoroughbred : 3.5 stars

Irish Rose : 3 stars

I just don't feel the romances were realistic in both novels, but especially in Irish Rose. Both marriages were rushed, and both men not admitting that they loved their wives until the end was annoying.
TiffanyLamp
Considering this was Nora's first novel (or one of them) I can say that they aren't terrible. For someone who enjoys romance novels, this is for you. I do not enjoy romance novels myself and here is why:
I do not enjoy the helplessness of the female characters.
The men are typically rich douchebags until they find the helpless virgin (again with virgins *rolling my eyes).
The said virgin changes the rich douche, or in some cases, Womanizer, to become a well-rounded, good natured family man wit
Lafanda
Nov 30, 2014 Lafanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
I am kind of on the fence with these books. The stories can be incredibly slow at parts, and some of the character's actions are questionable, but overall these are two good books. Some spoilers ahead!

Irish Thoroughbred: Travis and Adelia have an interesting start to their relationship that I don't quite agree with. Adelia is usually very quick to lash out at him, which Travis just finds funny. He also is very forward at the beginning of the book and Adelia does not return his interest, straight
Fredell Boston
Aug 22, 2015 Fredell Boston rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nora Roberts does it again! This volume contains 2 novels in one - Irish Thoroughbred and Irish Rose. The stories of two Irish cousins who come the US to work.
**In Irish Thoroughbred, Adelia, joins her Uncle Paddy on the thoroughbred farm, Royal Meadows, where he is head trainer for Travis Grant. She has left Ireland to start a new life after the death of her last relative on the "olde sod" She starts out as stable hand who has a talent for working with all horses, but especially the recalcitra
Jlebreton
Irish Thoroughbred: Everyone starts somewhere, true enough. But what is very clear is that if this were the first book I had picked up by Roberts, I would not have picked up another. For such a short book, months pass, making the love story rather slow. They don't have much chemistry and don't know how to communicate, and Roberts doesn't do her usual tilt into the man's head to let us know what he is thinking, which leads you to think he is kind of mean. The old fashioned values take some gettin ...more
Martha
I haven't read very many of Nora Roberts' romance novels, but I really liked this. Irish Hearts is a re-release of her very first book, Irish Thoroughbred, and its sequel, Irish Rose. They were both very good; I liked the first one better, though.
Holly Boyd
May 03, 2013 Holly Boyd rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
included Nora Roberts 1st book. enjoyed both books. each was really almost a novella, only about 180 pages long. both were centered around thoroughbred horse farms and included a trip to the Kentucky Derby. good, fun stories.
Hannah
Loved it!!!!! Very well written and my goal is to obtain the relationship Travis and Dee have.
Jan
Jan 18, 2009 Jan rated it really liked it
Stacie  M. Ritchie
This book is two different stories. The first, Irish Thoroughbred was a story of Adelia. Dee came to America after the death of her aunt to stay with her uncle. Within days of her coming, she had the position of exercise boy for the horse Majesty. She worked hard, and didn’t think much of it. She ran into her employer under not so professional circumstances. His shock at the fact the pint-sized woman was an exercise boy, was entertaining. His attraction was also entertaining, along with his mane ...more
Jen
Feb 13, 2013 Jen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know that romance novels are all, to a point, formulaic. I know that the plot isn't the reason why one reads such books, but instead the books are read because they are character driven and the reader sees something of herself in the female protagonist. I generally enjoy books by Nora Roberts because she puts a lot of extra effort in to developing good, solid characters and a well described environment that teaches me something while at the same time remaining entertaining, but this compendium ...more
Cyndy Aleo
May 20, 2011 Cyndy Aleo rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Nora Roberts is probably the one romance writer who doesn't make me feel horribly guilty to be reading romance novels when I have yet to read so many of the classics. Her novels are always well-researched, and I never feel like my brain is turning to mush when I'm reading. I was ecstatic when my sister handed me Irish Hearts, a compilation of two Roberts novels: her very first book Irish Thoroughbred, and a sequel to it, Irish Rose.

::: Two Irish Lasses :::

Nora Roberts has always gravitated towar
Cyrisse
Oct 22, 2008 Cyrisse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers
Recommended to Cyrisse by: n/a
Shelves: nora-roberts
Irish Thoroughbred and Irish Rose
Nora Roberts has always gravitated toward the Emerald Isle for both characters and settings, and chose a displaced Irishwoman as the heroine of her very first novel, Irish Hearts. Adelia "Dee" Cunnane was orphaned in Ireland at a young age. Her aunt came to take care of her and help work the family farm, but after the aunt has a stroke, Dee takes on all the work herself. When the aunt finally dies, Dee must resign herself to the fact that there is no way she can
M.A. Levi
Aug 28, 2012 M.A. Levi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Irish Throughbred: This was a very captivating story that held your attention and kept you hanging on every word. It spun you right into Royal Medows and the plot had you rooting for the lovley horses and the main stubborn characters Travis and Adiel. It was a frustarating love story that had you thinking to yourself "Come on already!!" It is one of my favorites; a simple and compelling read with a group of characters that you you can relate to, love and remember.

Irish Rose: Irish Rose was more
Brittany
This book has two related romances. The first is about a Irish woman who leaves Ireland behind after suffering another death in the family, her aunt. Her parents died when she was 10 and now she is going to her uncle in Maryland, whom she hasn't seen since she was 3. The only communication she's had with her "Uncle Paddy" are letters they've sent over the years. However when she arrives, she and her uncle connect. Adelia and Travis' story is light but a good read. The next story is about Erin, A ...more
Becky Adams
Jul 18, 2015 Becky Adams rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Two story book and at the end found out there was another. Irish Throughbred, Irish Rose and lastly Irish Rebel is another good series from Nora Roberts. I have not read #3 yet but know the characters and can't wait to read. Irish women come to America to work for their dreams. I'm a sucker for series novels, however I do like to have them located and within my grasp when I'm ready to read them.
Kshydog
Enjoyed the story, Irish Thoroughbred much more for the humor and more touching personalities. Paddy was truly a lovable man. Both girls were willing to leave everything about their past lives and create a new life in America. Both were totally inexperienced in matters of love and let dominating men take over. Reviews of each story with their own titles.
Katherine Kurowski
The first novel, Irish Thoroughbred, was sweeter than the second, Irish Rose, which in contrast was more suspenseful and thrilling and more stirring (and just as good). It was nice to see the development of the men in the novels rather than solely the women's, especially in their point of views. The horse races were an exciting addition to the story too!
Bonnie Staughton
Dec 21, 2014 Bonnie Staughton rated it really liked it
Nora Roberts is one of my favorite authors. I enjoy her style of writing and the subject matter of the books.
"Irish Hearts" is actually 2 novels--Nora Roberts's first novel "Irish Thoroughbred" and it's sequel "Irish Rose".

The stories are about 2 cousins from Ireland who come to America a few years apart and live on adjoining Thoroughbred Racing Farms. Since horses are my "passion", that is "icing on the cake".

This was a "fast read" for me and I couldn't put it down. I highly recommend it.
Kathy
Apr 22, 2015 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy Nora Roberts books and wanted to read her first one....Irish Thoroughbred. Although it it is your typical romance story boy meets girl, boy gets girl it was a quick fun read. However, I did like the second book in the series, Irish Rose, better for it had a little more of a plot to it.
Nola Arganbright
Aug 15, 2015 Nola Arganbright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two of Nora Roberts first books in one book. The stories have great characters and are clean romances written in the 1980's. They take place in Maryland and involve stories related to the horse racing world. I learned a lot from the background information the author included.
Sue
Jul 18, 2013 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Her first novel

IRISH THOROUGHBRED

Irish lass Adelia Cunnane had entered a fairy tale! Working at the world-renowned Royal Meadows stables was a dream come true. She was determined to prove her worth, especially to the stables' owner—the very opinionated and ruggedly handsome Travis Grant. Princesses weren't the only ones who could have a happily-ever-after!

IRISH ROSE

Erin McKinnon had followed her cousin Adelia to America and was immediately captivated by Royal Meadows' charm.

But she was not nearl
Janice Cafarelli
Story of two related Irish women who come to America and find love in horse country. The stories are told separately but as the women are related you find bits of interaction of the first story included in the second.. I totally enjoyed this book for a light with a bit of mystery type book.
I'm looking for Ancient Ireland Historical Romances -- Any recommendations? 2 5 Jul 14, 2015 05:45AM
Page Missing 1 16 Jul 31, 2012 11:28PM
  • The Official Nora Roberts Companion
  • Country Brides: A Little Bit Country\Country Bride
  • Big Sky Winter: Rawhide & Lace\Unlikely Lover
  • Dead of Night (includes In Death, #24.5)
  • Big Sky Country (Parable, Montana, #1)
  • Upon a Midnight Clear: The Teacher / Christmas Magic / Jolly Holly / If Only in My Dreams / White Out
  • Dawn in Eclipse Bay (Eclipse Bay Trilogy, # 2)
  • Irish Love (Nuala Anne McGrail, #6)
  • Magnolia Moon (Callahan Brothers, #3)
Nora Roberts was born in Silver Spring, Maryland. She began writing when a blizzard in February 1979 kept her in her hilltop home with a three and six year old for nearly a week of canceled kindergarten and dwindling chocolate supplies.

During the now-famous blizzard, she pulled out a pencil and notebook and began to write a story for her own entertainment. From the first page, she knew it was wha
More about Nora Roberts...

Irish Hearts (3 books)
  • Irish Thoroughbred (Irish Hearts, #1)
  • Irish Rose (Irish Hearts #2)
  • Irish Rebel (Irish Hearts, #3)

“There was nothing wrong with being able to handle things herself. Nothing wrong with wanting to.And she did appreciate Brian's help.
And she didn't need caffeine.
"I like caffeine," she grumbled. "I enjoy it, and that's entirely different from needing it.Entirely.I could give it up anytime I wanted, and I'd barely miss it."
Annoyed,she snagged the soft drink she'd left on a shelf and guzzled.
All right,so maybe she would miss it. But only beause she liked the taste. It wasn't like a craving or an addiction or...
She couldn't say why Brian popped into her head just then.She was certain if he'd seen her staring in a kind of horror at a soft drink bottle, he'd have been amused.It was debatable what his reaction would be if he'd realized she wasn't actually seeing the bottle, but his face.
No,that wasn't a need, either, she thought quickly. She did not need Brian Donnelly. It was attraction.Affection-a cautious kind of affection.He was a man who interested her, and whom she admired in many ways. But it wasn't as if she needed...
"Oh God."
It had to be overreaction, she decided, and set the bottle aside as carefully as she would have a container of nitro. What she was going through was something as simple as overromanticizing an affair. That would be natural enough, she told herself, particularly sice this was her first.
She didn't want to be in love with him. She began wielding the pitchfork vigorously now, as if to sweat out a fever.She didn't choose to be in love with him. That was even more important.When her hands trembled she ignored them and worked harder still.
By the time her mother joined her, Keeley had herself under control enough to casually ask Adelia to work in the office while she exervised Sam.
Keeley Grant had never run from a problem in her life,and she wasn't about to start now.She saddled her mount,then rode off to clear her head before she dealt with the problem at hand.”
3 likes