Start by marking “PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest, #1)” as Want to Read:
PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest, #1)

PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest #1)

3.77  ·  Rating Details  ·  443 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
Untuk menyelamatkan ketua mereka, geng Rebel Angels membajak kereta yang dipakai polisi federal serta merampok barang-barang berharga milik penumpang lain. Namun, di tengah keberhasilan itu, mereka tiba-tiba diserang para makhluk yang terbangun karena mencium bau darah. Makhluk apa mereka sebenarnya!? Dan, apa hubungan mereka dengan pria misterius yang mendadak menghilang ...more
Published January 20th 2010 by Elex Media Komputindo (first published July 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about PRIEST Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PRIEST Vol. 01

⊱ Irena ⊰
Replace a preacher character with anything you like, it won't make any difference.
Ivan Isaacs, the preacher, sold half of his soul to the devil. The exact reason is not quite clear (save for the vague 'lost my faith and the devil pounced' reason). It's possible that later you get a clearer picture, but when it comes to only this, it's far from clear.
He finds himself on a train that is later attacked by bandits who are trying to save their leader. The blood from the attack awakens zombie-demon-li
Robert Beveridge
Min-woo Hyung, Priest vol. 1: Prelude to the Deceased, Part 1 (Tokyopop, 2003)

I came to manga as, I believe, many Americans who discovered the stuff recently came to manga: fighting series (Bleach, One Piece, etc.) and fantasy romance (Fushigi Yugi, etc.). It's only recently I've discovered the true breadth of manga, and I've been delighted overall at finding so many titles of interest in just about every genre one can think of. And now I've come across Min-woo Hyung's series Priest, equally inf
Kate
Oct 14, 2009 Kate rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: age-ya, manga, 2009
For some reason when I requested this book I thought it was a graphic novel, not a manga. Is there some series called "The Preacher"? (Yes: Preacher Vol. 1 Gone To Texas). That's what I thought this was.

Anyway, I think something has gone horribly wrong in the translation of Catholicism to Japanese. As in Hellsing, Volume 1, Catholic figures are made to be dark assassins (in Hellsing it was a gun-toting nun). Obviously here it is a priest, in the Old West. Not sure how this guy could still wear
Franklin Kendrick
If you can find this book anywhere I highly suggest you add it to your shelf of manga. Technically this is from Korea and is a manwha about a fallen Priest, Ivan Isaacs, a gunslinger who sold half his soul to avenge his love, Gina. This story had me transfixed for every volume. A word of warning if you start this, however, is that the writer and artist, however brilliant he was, totally betrayed his readers by leaving the story hanging while he jumped ship under the pressure of all his readers t ...more
Eddie
Aug 31, 2014 Eddie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
This graphic novel (I hesitate to call it Manga) had a good, if somewhat "been-there-done-that" story. It was very reminiscent of Ghost Rider, or Spawn, or any number of stories about a good guy that sold his soul to the devil then regretted it, but used his powers for good.

Honestly, the story is old hat.

However, with the old west setting and the artwork, it's worth reading. I normally don't like this type of artwork in a manga -- it's very harsh, stiff, and angular; not at all like the "typical
Angel
Aug 31, 2008 Angel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga-manhwa-etc
This was a pretty good quick ride. A fallen priest makes a deal a devil to come back and get his revenge, fighting a bunch of baddies along the way. All set in the Wild West. It is very fast paced, and narrative itself is pretty minimal as the art carries a lot of the story. Overall, a nice quick escapist manwha. I'll be looking for the next one.
Nadia
I'm not sure if this should count as "seen then read" cause movie plot was very different from this. There was like the whole different universe. No soul selling, no demons, but vampires and priests made to fight them. Here is one priest fighting outside and inside demons. He reminds me strongly of Alucard in his looks although Alucard is more complete he doesn't have mind-problems. Also he is not human at all :)
Well, I want to see where this is going. I also would like to see more of the story
Daken Howlett
la premessa della serie,un mondo post-apocalittico steampunk devastato da creature demoniache e sette religiose in cui l'unica speranza dell'umanità è un ex prete diventato servitore del demonio è affascinante e i flashback del passato di Ivan,così come la sequenza "Berserk"sono sufficientemente violenti da fare un certo effetto,ma la storia dell'assalto al treno scorre con un ritmo un pò troppo lento e manca di ricongiungersi con l'assalto alla chiesa mostrato nelle prime pagine del volume,cosa ...more
Koori no hi
It took a bit for me to get into the story. A big part of that was that while the art was good, the translation was too modern for a Western; as well as little things that bothered my suspension of disbelief: semi-automatic shotguns for example. I know this is fantasy but still, if you pick a setting be true to it.
The story seems kind of old hat, but it was good enough to keep me interested once I got past the elements that kept dragging me out.
Leila Anani
After the death of his beloved Gena, feeling forsaken by god, Preacher Ivan Isaacs sells half his soul to the demon Belial in order to have demonic strength to fight demons - particularly Belial's arch enemy Tamozarela and his minions.

In this volume Jarbilong a heretical priest in league with Tamozarela raises an army of the undead who catch a gang of bandits unawares on a railroad train.

There's a similarity to Hellsing here, but with its American Wild West setting its different enough. I absolu
Julie Luther
Dec 01, 2014 Julie Luther rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
Good god, what a manga. This is the only manga I have ever read that I almost wasn't able to finish reading because of how disturbing it was. I actually had to put it down a few times and read something else. Similar to Berserk but Berserk I could read for volumes at a time and reading priest kind of makes you feel nauseous. I highly recommend it but I'd warn anyone starting to read it that it messes with your head in a good way, but it felt like a little damage was done to my brain after I fini ...more
Maria Shuffit
Interesting start to the series. It's nice to see a dark storyline like this with no silly comic relief.
Meghan Harris
Sep 08, 2011 Meghan Harris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This manga, which is the ONLY one that I've read (so far), made me a fan because it's absolute destruction of vampire lore, biblical prophecy, western fan fiction, and GORE into a reconstruction all it's own. Though manga is rarely on my reading list, I am enamored not only because, though short and lacking a HUGE back story, I feel that as a starter for the series it leaves enough questions while not sabotaging its characters. Hyung also does what Jason Aaron does for Scalped--make us love the ...more
Janette Lopez
Jul 15, 2014 Janette Lopez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the movie so I wanted to read this. It was good will defiantly continue with the series.
Corinna
Non ho saputo resistere alla possibilità di fare gli ultimi punti per la gara XD
Illuminati8
Aug 09, 2013 Illuminati8 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
Ivan Isaacs, a man with nothing to lose except for his rage, makes up a deal with the devil for half his soul to avenge the murder of his beloved. But it's not going to be an easy task for the undead priest as he seeks his revenge amidst massacre and mayhem laced with pain and suffering. For unbeknownst to him, Ivan plays a crucial part in the dark angel's plan for resurrection.

The artwork is really good and while the story isn't bad, it lacks the punch. If you are the kind to enjoy violence and
Austin Smith
Aug 10, 2012 Austin Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished
I have never loved a manga series more than this one. Beyond amazing story, gripping characters, fantastic art and no holds on the blood,gore, and brutality of the world. It does go back to deal with the backstory for a small time but even the it does really well of getting all the need to know info out of the way and then going right back to what you love. Sadly about number 14 and up it teeters off and goes sideways and even worse it simply stopped. Be that as it may its still a beyond amazing ...more
Ashes
Can someone say intense? I can. A hundred times over. I saw the movie first, unfortunately, and loved it but I'm REALLY enjoying this book so much better and I'm seeing how very little the movie follows this series. This seems to be so much more.. "religious" and old west, awesome, kick-ass and let's talk about the gore! Yes please! The main character, Ivan, is stupidly awesome and bad ass. His inner conflict, his devil contract, his ass kicking abilities. I can't wait to read more.
Nona
I like the premise and the story and the artwork and I'd really like to give it four stars, but the widespread use of automatic weapons in a story set in the American Old West is simply not possible for me to excuse. There are other slightly futuristic looking touches in a Brisco County Jr. way but the automatics go way beyond that. I'm still reading at least the next volume after this one and hopefully it won't be so obvious in subsequent volumes.
Erin
Sep 14, 2008 Erin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm up to #10 in this cycle. Demon possessed priest is fighting a fallen angel, horror and western style. There are about 4 different stories going on here, all a few hundred years apart. It's really engaging, addictive, and totally shuts the brain down. the art is fine, better than what I expect from the Tokyopop stuff I've read.
Donald
Aug 11, 2013 Donald rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of action, but I didn't follow the plot line too well. I got the basics, but I guess I'd have to read the next book (or two) to understand everything. Still, I liked the fallen priest battling demon type creatures in the ol' West! Nice genre mixing!
Lavenza
Mar 22, 2016 Lavenza rated it it was amazing
Shelves:
One of best stories ever, all of the volumes are perfect, how I wish I could see the continuation. Perfect amount of drama, epic action and betrayal. Original and beautiful.
There are really so many ways I can describe it, but it wont ever be enough. Perfect
Dmitry Yakovenko
Feb 10, 2016 Dmitry Yakovenko rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Довольно неплохая манга, с интересным сюжетом, но со средненьким стилем рисунка. Да и расстраивает тот факт, что по сути, кроме кровавого месива, тут больше ничего нет. Абсолютно ничего. Но надеюсь, что дальше будет лучше.
Trin
Jan 02, 2010 Trin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga, korean-lit
Potentially fun zombie supernatural steampunk western, ruined by the world’s longest slowest fight scene. With pacing like this to look forward to, I suspect I’ll be just as pokey when it comes to picking up the next volume.
Alexandria
Mar 22, 2016 Alexandria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
I picked up the book because of the movie. Needless to say, they were very different. I enjoyed both of them, but found the graphic novel's story line more interesting and the art more engaging.
Tom
Sep 15, 2010 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
one of those impulse buys at a flea market in Sweden. My buddy Sam would be proud! It is kinda generic and has kinda cool violence but really, i would just rather read DBZ.
Zak
Dec 26, 2008 Zak rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Bad. Ass. This series is a wild, ass-kicking, shoot-em-up, demon-vs-demon-in-wild-west-get-up tour de force. Prepare to be disturbed... and blown away.
Ash
May 29, 2011 Ash rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-manga
It's a boody devilish sad story I really like the blood and drama in it. the sacrafices were best.
Patrick
Aug 09, 2007 Patrick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good. Sometimes I felt like the art overwhelmed the story, but still pretty darn good.
Tim
Mar 19, 2014 Tim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful black&white artwork. Interested in reading the continuing plot line.
is movie like the book? 2 5 Oct 28, 2012 07:08AM
  • Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M. (Sandman Presents)
  • Faeries' Landing, Volume 2
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 10 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #10)
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • The Priest of Blood (The Vampyricon #1)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #3)
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 5 (Basilisk #5)
  • The History of Hell
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Vampire Game, Vol. 4 (Vampire Game, #4)
  • Psychic Academy Volume 4: v. 4
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
  • GetBackers, Volume 3

Priest (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Priest, Volume 2