Start by marking “PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest, #1)” as Want to Read:
PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest, #1)

PRIEST Vol. 01 (Priest #1)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  418 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Untuk menyelamatkan ketua mereka, geng Rebel Angels membajak kereta yang dipakai polisi federal serta merampok barang-barang berharga milik penumpang lain. Namun, di tengah keberhasilan itu, mereka tiba-tiba diserang para makhluk yang terbangun karena mencium bau darah. Makhluk apa mereka sebenarnya!? Dan, apa hubungan mereka dengan pria misterius yang mendadak menghilang ...more
Published January 20th 2010 by Elex Media Komputindo (first published July 23rd 2002)

To ask other readers questions about PRIEST Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about PRIEST Vol. 01

⊱ Irena ⊰
Replace a preacher character with anything you like, it won't make any difference.
Ivan Isaacs, the preacher, sold half of his soul to the devil. The exact reason is not quite clear (save for the vague 'lost my faith and the devil pounced' reason). It's possible that later you get a clearer picture, but when it comes to only this, it's far from clear.
He finds himself on a train that is later attacked by bandits who are trying to save their leader. The blood from the attack awakens zombie-demon-li
For some reason when I requested this book I thought it was a graphic novel, not a manga. Is there some series called "The Preacher"? (Yes: Preacher Vol. 1 Gone To Texas). That's what I thought this was.

Anyway, I think something has gone horribly wrong in the translation of Catholicism to Japanese. As in Hellsing, Volume 1, Catholic figures are made to be dark assassins (in Hellsing it was a gun-toting nun). Obviously here it is a priest, in the Old West. Not sure how this guy could still wear
Robert Beveridge
Min-woo Hyung, Priest vol. 1: Prelude to the Deceased, Part 1 (Tokyopop, 2003)

I came to manga as, I believe, many Americans who discovered the stuff recently came to manga: fighting series (Bleach, One Piece, etc.) and fantasy romance (Fushigi Yugi, etc.). It's only recently I've discovered the true breadth of manga, and I've been delighted overall at finding so many titles of interest in just about every genre one can think of. And now I've come across Min-woo Hyung's series Priest, equally inf
Franklin Kendrick
If you can find this book anywhere I highly suggest you add it to your shelf of manga. Technically this is from Korea and is a manwha about a fallen Priest, Ivan Isaacs, a gunslinger who sold half his soul to avenge his love, Gina. This story had me transfixed for every volume. A word of warning if you start this, however, is that the writer and artist, however brilliant he was, totally betrayed his readers by leaving the story hanging while he jumped ship under the pressure of all his readers t ...more
This graphic novel (I hesitate to call it Manga) had a good, if somewhat "been-there-done-that" story. It was very reminiscent of Ghost Rider, or Spawn, or any number of stories about a good guy that sold his soul to the devil then regretted it, but used his powers for good.

Honestly, the story is old hat.

However, with the old west setting and the artwork, it's worth reading. I normally don't like this type of artwork in a manga -- it's very harsh, stiff, and angular; not at all like the "typical
This was a pretty good quick ride. A fallen priest makes a deal a devil to come back and get his revenge, fighting a bunch of baddies along the way. All set in the Wild West. It is very fast paced, and narrative itself is pretty minimal as the art carries a lot of the story. Overall, a nice quick escapist manwha. I'll be looking for the next one.
Leila Anani
After the death of his beloved Gena, feeling forsaken by god, Preacher Ivan Isaacs sells half his soul to the demon Belial in order to have demonic strength to fight demons - particularly Belial's arch enemy Tamozarela and his minions.

In this volume Jarbilong a heretical priest in league with Tamozarela raises an army of the undead who catch a gang of bandits unawares on a railroad train.

There's a similarity to Hellsing here, but with its American Wild West setting its different enough. I absolu
Julie Luther
Good god, what a manga. This is the only manga I have ever read that I almost wasn't able to finish reading because of how disturbing it was. I actually had to put it down a few times and read something else. Similar to Berserk but Berserk I could read for volumes at a time and reading priest kind of makes you feel nauseous. I highly recommend it but I'd warn anyone starting to read it that it messes with your head in a good way, but it felt like a little damage was done to my brain after I fini ...more
Meghan Harris
This manga, which is the ONLY one that I've read (so far), made me a fan because it's absolute destruction of vampire lore, biblical prophecy, western fan fiction, and GORE into a reconstruction all it's own. Though manga is rarely on my reading list, I am enamored not only because, though short and lacking a HUGE back story, I feel that as a starter for the series it leaves enough questions while not sabotaging its characters. Hyung also does what Jason Aaron does for Scalped--make us love the ...more
Janette Lopez
Loved the movie so I wanted to read this. It was good will defiantly continue with the series.
Non ho saputo resistere alla possibilità di fare gli ultimi punti per la gara XD
Ivan Isaacs, a man with nothing to lose except for his rage, makes up a deal with the devil for half his soul to avenge the murder of his beloved. But it's not going to be an easy task for the undead priest as he seeks his revenge amidst massacre and mayhem laced with pain and suffering. For unbeknownst to him, Ivan plays a crucial part in the dark angel's plan for resurrection.

The artwork is really good and while the story isn't bad, it lacks the punch. If you are the kind to enjoy violence and
Austin Smith
I have never loved a manga series more than this one. Beyond amazing story, gripping characters, fantastic art and no holds on the blood,gore, and brutality of the world. It does go back to deal with the backstory for a small time but even the it does really well of getting all the need to know info out of the way and then going right back to what you love. Sadly about number 14 and up it teeters off and goes sideways and even worse it simply stopped. Be that as it may its still a beyond amazing ...more
Can someone say intense? I can. A hundred times over. I saw the movie first, unfortunately, and loved it but I'm REALLY enjoying this book so much better and I'm seeing how very little the movie follows this series. This seems to be so much more.. "religious" and old west, awesome, kick-ass and let's talk about the gore! Yes please! The main character, Ivan, is stupidly awesome and bad ass. His inner conflict, his devil contract, his ass kicking abilities. I can't wait to read more.
I like the premise and the story and the artwork and I'd really like to give it four stars, but the widespread use of automatic weapons in a story set in the American Old West is simply not possible for me to excuse. There are other slightly futuristic looking touches in a Brisco County Jr. way but the automatics go way beyond that. I'm still reading at least the next volume after this one and hopefully it won't be so obvious in subsequent volumes.
I'm up to #10 in this cycle. Demon possessed priest is fighting a fallen angel, horror and western style. There are about 4 different stories going on here, all a few hundred years apart. It's really engaging, addictive, and totally shuts the brain down. the art is fine, better than what I expect from the Tokyopop stuff I've read.
Lots of action, but I didn't follow the plot line too well. I got the basics, but I guess I'd have to read the next book (or two) to understand everything. Still, I liked the fallen priest battling demon type creatures in the ol' West! Nice genre mixing!
One of best stories ever, all of the volumes are perfect, how I wish I could see the continuation. Perfect amount of drama, epic action and betrayal. Original and beautiful.
There are really so many ways I can describe it, but it wont ever be enough. Perfect
Dmitry Yakovenko
Довольно неплохая манга, с интересным сюжетом, но со средненьким стилем рисунка. Да и расстраивает тот факт, что по сути, кроме кровавого месива, тут больше ничего нет. Абсолютно ничего. Но надеюсь, что дальше будет лучше.
Potentially fun zombie supernatural steampunk western, ruined by the world’s longest slowest fight scene. With pacing like this to look forward to, I suspect I’ll be just as pokey when it comes to picking up the next volume.
one of those impulse buys at a flea market in Sweden. My buddy Sam would be proud! It is kinda generic and has kinda cool violence but really, i would just rather read DBZ.
Bad. Ass. This series is a wild, ass-kicking, shoot-em-up, demon-vs-demon-in-wild-west-get-up tour de force. Prepare to be disturbed... and blown away.
It's a boody devilish sad story I really like the blood and drama in it. the sacrafices were best.
Pretty good. Sometimes I felt like the art overwhelmed the story, but still pretty darn good.
Beautiful black&white artwork. Interested in reading the continuing plot line.
Interesting and well-crafted story, and I loved the art in these.
I guess... at least the movie can't be much worse?
Plenty gory manga. At least it was cheap to buy. =)
First Manga I had ever read and loved it...
Creepy and weird. But okay.
is movie like the book? 2 5 Oct 28, 2012 07:08AM
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 3 (Basilisk #3)
  • The Priest of Blood (The Vampyricon #1)
  • Old Boy, Vol. 1
  • BIOMEGA バイオメガ 1 (Biomega Vol. 1)
  • Faeries' Landing, Volume 2
  • Crying Freeman, Vol. 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 10 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #10)
  • The History of Hell
  • Merv Pumpkinhead: Agent of D.R.E.A.M. (Sandman Presents)
  • Claymore, Vol. 11: Kindred of Paradise (Claymore, #11)
  • Eden: It's an Endless World, Volume 3 (Eden: It's an Endless World!, #3)
  • Psychic Academy Volume 2: v. 2
  • Vampire Wars (Von Carstein, #1-3)
  • Hellsing, Vol. 06 (Hellsing, #6)
  • Les Bijoux, Volume 1

Priest (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Priest, Volume 2
  • Priest, Volume 8
  • Priest, Volume 9
  • Priest, Volume 10
  • Priest , Volume 11
Priest, Volume 2 Priest, Volume 3 Priest, Volume 4 Priest, Volume 5 Priest, Volume 6