Start by marking “The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures” as Want to Read:
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

4.30  ·  Rating Details  ·  4,009 Ratings  ·  47 Reviews
Singular, capital, wonderfully enjoyable, this is the biggest collection of new Sherlock Holmes stories published since Sir Arthur Conan Doyle laid down his pen - nearly 200,000 words of superb fiction featuring the Great Detective by masters of historical crime. Almost all the stories are specially written for the collection and the cases are presented in the order in whi ...more
Published December 31st 1997 by Carroll & Graf Publishers (first published 1997)

Be the first to ask a question about The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures

Mike Jensen
Mar 09, 2010 Mike Jensen rated it it was ok
Dozens of Sherlock Holmes short stories written a century after Conan Doyle. A very few come close to the old magic, but most miss it by a little and (more often) a lot. The problem is finding the good stories amidst the drudge since they do not come with warning labels.
Riju Ganguly
Jan 22, 2012 Riju Ganguly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
“They don’t make them anymore!” This is the sentiment that assaults one after completing a book like this. First published in 1997 as ‘The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures’, this massive collection of pastiches cover the entire gamut of post-Doyle Sherlockiana. The contents of this book, along-with my thoughts regarding them, are as under: -

(*) Foreword by Richard Lancelyn Green
(*) Acknowledgements
(*) Introduction: The Life and Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Mike Ashley

Part I: Ea
Leslie
Feb 26, 2012 Leslie rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures is an anthology of new stories featuring the beloved duo of Holmes and Watson, contributed by respected authors such as Michael Moorcock and Peter Tremayne. Most of them were specifically written for this collection, and many expand on references made by Watson in the Canon; there are two stories based on his reference to "the repulsive story of the red leech." Ranging from Holmes' college days ("The Bothersome Business of the Dutch Nativity") t ...more
Katarina
Feb 03, 2012 Katarina rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Umm... Yes!?! As a BIG fan of Sherlock Holmes, I was VERY excited when I encountered this book. For the most part, this anthology lived up to my expectations. The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures contains short stories by modern writers, some brand-new, straight from the authors' minds, some based on historical events and people, and some (my favorites) based on those teasers Watson gives in passing, such as "the repulsive story of the red leech and the terrible death of Crosby the ...more
Evamaria
Jan 30, 2012 Evamaria rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
This was an airport 1-for-2 buy, but once I started it was hard to make myself hold to my "1 story before bed" plan. The stories were obviously of varying quality, but enough of them managed to really capture the spirit of Conan Doyle's most famous creation to make me instantly pick up the original stories once I finished this.
Todd Millison
Not a bad book for those who read all of Conan Doyle and wish there were more. Written by many authors. Some are quite good with the 'original' feel and some feel somewhat contrived. Interesting because several have a definate Jeremy Brett influence in Holmses character. Worth reading!
Timothy Tobolski
Jun 29, 2012 Timothy Tobolski rated it really liked it
When I read a good Holmes story, I inevitably 'hear' Jeremy Brett; in my mind, he is and will always be the definitive Sherlock Holmes. And with this anthology of pastiches, Mr Brett has bordered on laryngitis, so perfectly have the various authors captured the persona of Holmes.
Kevin
Oct 20, 2007 Kevin rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, read-2007
Forgot I had this book for the longest time. Most of the stories had the tone and feel of the originals. Most far fetched was the last one about the end of WWI.
Thomas Sizemore
I'm sorry, but most of the stories in the book were not very good. Most of the authors didn't seem to understand the Sherlock Holmes tone at all. One story had a full scale Agatha Christie style dénouement, which is surely not in the Holmesian style. In another story the author kept throwing in shout outs to the main detective in her own stories. Really? Holmes shows great admiration for the great chef detective who puts the facts of a case together like the ingredients in a recipe... I read the ...more
Lizabeth Tucker
The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventures edited by Mike Ashley

This is actually an ebook version, published by Constable & Robinson Ltd, in 2009. It was published in the United States by Running Press Book Publishers.

A look at the many untold cases of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson as contained in Watson’s dispatch box in the vaults of the bank of Cox and Co. The collection contains twenty-six stories divided into various sections.

Sadly, I would have to say that some of the s
Jonathan
An average book. It was not as bad as some other non-canonical stories I have read. However, there have been much better, and SOME of these stories were downright hard to read.

SPOILER ALERT!

There are a scenes that took place in the book that made my head spin:

1. Holmes and Watson waiting for burglars in the dead of night, not so unusual, BUT while snacking on sandwhiches and WHISKEY!!! Really?

2. Holmes, the man who has knowledge of Baritsu, Boxing, and Fencing; the man who had the ability to un
Carl
Oct 16, 2013 Carl rated it liked it
For me this was a real curates egg of a book (good in parts).

Some of the authors were too busy trying to shoehorn in their area of interest or expertise. Others were obviously writing towards an agenda of their own.

On the other hand there were a number of stories that I felt kept to the spirit of Holmes and didn't try to hijack the original to show off their learning/erudition.

This review will probably come across as a conservative Holmes fanboy who doesn't appreciate authors meddling with the H
Trish
Jun 19, 2015 Trish rated it really liked it
I was inclined to give the book three stars while reading a couple of the last stories. However, most of the mysteries are well written, in the style of Doyle, and have entertaining plots. The narrator provides the connections to Sherlock's authentic cases and fills in the history of Sherlock and Watson. It kept me amused until almost the end when the plots became too complicated for my taste.
Rena Sherwood
Although it's one of the best Sherlock Holmes pastiche anthologies out there, that's not really a compliment. The world of Sherlock Holmes pastiches are pretty bad. At least this book has some exceptionally fine stories book-ending the usual collection of sublime (Holmes' time in Ireland) to ridiculous (Holmes meets Aliester Crowley and AC's father.) There is also a nice appendix listing the "chronology" of not only canonical stories, but major pastiches.

Another problem for the paperback edition
Shubhra
Jul 16, 2014 Shubhra rated it really liked it
Quite a decent collection of Holmes pastiches, with 23 out of 26 stories being good to very good, the exceptions being The Affray at the Kildare Street Club, The Adventure of Vittoria the Circus Bell and The Case of the Last Battle, which could have been edited out.

Overall, a decent collection.
Cyn Mcdonald
As usual with a collection, some stories are better than others. Most of these are quite good and true to canon. A few are a bit less, well, Holmesian. A couple I even figured out on my own -- good job, Watson!

Short stories are like potato chips, though, you can't just read one at a time.
Olivia
Nov 19, 2015 Olivia rated it really liked it
I adore Sherlock Holmes. I know Sir ACD got a teensy bit over his hero near the end there but I never will! I was gutted when I got to the end of the original stories! I wanted to get there but I also didn't. You know what I mean, most book lovers have been there.

I was a bit hesitant about Sherlock books written by other authors but after reading Anthony Horowitz's The House of Silk, I have decided to give them a go. Although Horowitz captured Holmes & Watson & Sir ACD's voices so well h
Deirdre
More 3.5 than 3 star but not quite 4 star.

Some interesting ideas and adventures, including two in Ireland. Now must research if Holmes being a Galwegian who attended Trinity is actual canon.
Schy
Nov 10, 2012 Schy rated it really liked it
Stories are as lovely as always. I was thankful I found this, considering I'd already exhausted all the originals and wasn't quite ready to give up yet on my search. Though, I wish Mike Ashley had perhaps added a vocabulary list to the back, because regretfully there are still some words that a 21st century girl really doesn't understand. I fervently wish there was a Google Translate language selectively for 19th century literature.
In conclusion, The Mammoth Book of New Sherlock Holmes Adventur
Fiona
May 31, 2014 Fiona rated it really liked it
As others have said, good in parts. My copy was full of typos too, which didn't help, especially when the first names of characters changed.
Robin
It was a very large book; very good.
Medhya
Dec 13, 2015 Medhya rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
Maybe I am prejudiced by my own love for the works of Arthur Conan Doyle himself. But I found these stories not to the same standard of Sherlock Holmes as I have come to expect. I of course judge them only as tales of the great detective and not as stories themselves.

I am grateful for Mike Ashley and Eric Brown for bringing the master detective to our sunny shores. It was amusing to read him ply his trade in our neck of the woods
Loki
Anthologies are always a mixed bag, but this one combines that variability of quality with a certain predictability in plotting - I read about the first quarter, then skipped ahead to read the stories by writers I liked, leaving at least two thirds of the book unread.

There's nothing wrong with it, it's just a hell of a lot of Holmes - I think reading this at a rate of one story a week would still be too much Holmes for me.
Amanda Himes
As other reviewers have rightly pointed out, some of the stories are too derivative, nearly pastiche (i.e., Holmes calling Watson "my good fellow" three times in two pages), while others are 4.5 star quality. I especially enjoyed the case involving a cursed barrow at a dig site. Another one featuring H.G. Wells calling on Holmes to investigate his friend's murder nicely blended the genres of detection and science fiction.
Mike
Nov 11, 2011 Mike rated it really liked it
Some really good stories, some absolutely terrible stories (most of these tried too hard and a couple failed to live up to their amazing premise). Probably one or two really great stories, but that was to be expected from this sort of anthology and many of the stories did feel like canon.

Best of all, I had only previously read one of these stories and and there is a lot here to enjoy.
Karl Øen
Mar 03, 2013 Karl Øen rated it really liked it
This is a great book of Sherlockian pastiche, altough the quality of the singular stories varies a lot. Alongside some truly entertaining stories, this fine volume contains a learned foreword and fine introduction, but what really puts it among the Greats is the Chronology, which also seeks to find time and space for the most famous pastiches.

Every Sherlockian ought to own this.
Betsy
Really liked pretty much every story in here! Believable Holmes and Watson, very little forcing in of characters who don't belong. Good mix of dates, from Holmes's early career to his retirement, and plenty of Watson! Since I don't like pastiches (usually) that don't involve Watson. Recommended.
Saroja Ramamurthy
Aug 07, 2013 Saroja Ramamurthy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely stories, based on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's legend Sherlock Homes. By modern authors. Sherlock Holmes' fans would lap up. All the 26 Stories are good. In "the Adventure of the suffering Ruler" the author H.R.F.Keating uncovers a surprisingly fallible Sherlock Holmes;some may not like it.
Caity
Dec 29, 2011 Caity rated it liked it
I agree with most of the other reviewers of this collection; some hits, some misses, some disappointments, but a worthy read for those who enjoyed the original stories by Doyle. Most retain the traditional feel, even when the case is incoherent or ridiculously convoluted.
Jill Porter
You had me at Sherlock Holmes! Loved it!
  • Murder in Baker Street: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes vs. Dracula
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Giant Rat of Sumatra
  • Sherlock Holmes in Orbit
  • Shadows Over Baker Street
  • The Execution of Sherlock Holmes: And Other New Adventures of the Great Detective (Sherlock Holmes, #3)
  • The Mandala of Sherlock Holmes: The Adventures of the Great Detective in India and Tibet
  • The Crimes of Dr. Watson
  • My Dearest Holmes
  • The Revenge of the Hound: A Sherlock Holmes Mystery
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Science of Sherlock Holmes: From Baskerville Hall to the Valley of Fear, the Real Forensics Behind the Great Detective's Greatest Cases
  • Encounters of Sherlock Holmes
Michael Raymond Donald Ashley is the author and editor of over sixty books that in total have sold over a million copies worldwide. He lives in Chatham, Kent.
More about Mike Ashley...