Start by marking “That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week” as Want to Read:
That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  53 reviews
As featured in the "New York Times," an expert shows parents how to get disorganized boys focused, engaged and thriving.
Crumpled homework. Missed assignments. Falling grades. For many boys and their frustrated parents, these are facts of life. But they don't have to be.
Ana Homayoun has helped transform the most disorganized and unfocused boys into successful students.
Published January 5th 2010 by Perigee Books (first published December 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

Sarenna
This book had some excellent ideas for helping organize middle and high school aged boys, and I plan to put some of them to practice. My only complaint is that much of the book focused on her success stories rather than actual organizational strategies or implementation. I found myself skimming much of the book to find information that was relevant to me and my child.
Tiffany Cooke
Jun 02, 2012 Tiffany Cooke rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents of disorganized kids who are not doing well in school
This week I finished up That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life by Ana Homayoun.
Once again the title grabbed my attention and I had to read it because I happen to know lots of disorganized and distacted boys, including my son. Nick's backpack is always full of crumpled up pieces of paper no matter how many folders or organization ideas we put into place. Since I am dreading another year of helping him survive school, I was loo
Mackenzie
Never to early to start thinking boy thoughts, seeing as I have three of them. And this book is really fantastic. Though Homayoun doesn't use the word 'respect' in the book, quite a few of her points and strategies are based on the idea of respecting your sons. This book is FULL of good advice, principles, and pointers, all of which are the fruit of many years of working with boys and their parents. While this must be an invaluable tool for getting you and your son out of trouble you've created ...more
Peggy
I got a lot of really great organizing ideas from this book. Both of my children are in middle school and I am tired of their backpacks being stuffed with papers and everything a big mixed up mess. Trying to set up good habits before High school next year. The first day of school teachers told one of my sons he could not use his own planner. They must use school planner. Day two teacher told my son he may not have separate binders for each subject. She wants ONE 3 inch binder for ALL subjects in ...more
Trace
Excellent system for getting boys (middle school and up) organized for school. Some of the steps won't apply to my son for grade 4, but I will get him started on this system so that, hopefully, it becomes second nature by the time he's older.
Melissa
Excellent! Great and easy to follow tips. Already implemented a few.
Jodi
Mar 29, 2015 Jodi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents of struggling students
I picked up this book to try to understand some of my disorganized, under-achieving students. The book is well-written and has good, easy advice but I cannot say I learned anything earth-shattering upon reading it. I liked the reminder to let students take responsibility for their successes and failures - also to know that progress always seems to be two steps forward and one step back! I also enjoyed reading about the different "types" of students a teacher or parent might encounter! I could ce ...more
Geoff
Even though I am incredibly organized, I often think I can be much more organized and wonder how other people stay organized, so when I first heard about this book from Ann on Books on the Nightstand I knew I had to get a copy. I loved the title and wanted to read more about it the organizational suggestions. I grabbed a copy from my local library and here I am.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and it’s set up like many other self-help books: suggestion, how-to, summary and any worksheets or tools y
Lise
If you have a boy in the upper middle school years who is completely disorganized, much to his detriment in school, you are not alone! This is the book for you. Read it, and smile. There is hope, but it does take effort.
Sherri
I admit I have an aversion to parenting books and was skeptical that I'd get much out of this. But this book is full of useful strategies and practical, flexible advice for helping your middle school/high school boy take ownership of his work and come up with an organization system. We still have a long way to go, but even the few tips we've implemented already have made a major difference in grades and stress levels. I just wish I'd read this before middle school started!
R. C.
I wish I could mark this as read and as to-read because I am going to be browsing it over and over as I homeschool my four boys. The author reiterates the studies that show boys dropping out of academia at faster rates than girls. She then posits that boys have this issue because they are not wired to multitask, especially in areas that require maintaining communication with multiple people. I'm not sure that's true. Seems to me that girls are wordier and boys like to hammer things. But as a fem ...more
Beth
This book is was written for parents with disorganized and distracted boys. I would've also liked strategies for how teachers can manage them as well. But this will definitely be a book I recommend for any parents I meet with who have boys who have trouble succeeding in school due to organization.

I really like the goal setting worksheet she gives in the book. That is one thing I can utilize as a teacher and will be using that with all my students next year - not just the disorganized boys. I al
Amy
This was an easy read. Although it's targeted more towards boys in middle and high school, it gives some good ideas on studying/succeeding in school that are applicable to girls too and that could apply to various ages. It didn't need to be as long as it was; I thought many sections just repeated itself.

A point it made that I hadn't really thought of (yet) is the affect of technology (texting, IM, facebook) on our kids while they are trying to study - a lot of distractions we didn't have. Gave m
April
A friend recommended this. I read a good part of it over spring break and bought the stuff needed to get my guy organized. Time will tell if it helps.
Deborah
What an excellent read for a parent of a newly started high school son. Got to get the study sorted for him. Plenty of great tips!
Shelby
This book has lots of practical strategies for boys (and girls). It can get a little tedious and repetitive toward the end, but overall I think parents and children who need it will find it useful.
Michelle
This provided exactly what I didn't realize that I desperately needed: concrete, very detailed steps to help my son get organized and stay organized in school. Plus a fair amount of good general advice for parents of underachieving boys.
Meghan
Mostly common sense. I expected more academic/studies to back up her ideas. I had hoped for more why this works/science behind it than just logic and plans.
Full of anecdotes of boys she has worked with.
Julie
The target audience for this book is parents of boys who need some help multi-tasking and organizing the vast amount of homework, papers, practices, reports, project and more that occupy today's students. Although the author is targeting this for boys, I think this book is useful for parents of boys and girls - I even picked up some useful tips on juggling my own scattered 'to do' list. If you are looking for a book with lots of academic theory, this is not it. But, if you are searching for a ha ...more
Bookmouse
Very helpful advice on organization and study habits. Perfect sense to me now let's see how it works with my 14 and13 year old boys. Plan to implement in steps as suggested. The problem is they think they know it all at this age. The messy desk and binder is soon true. Drives me cazy. Like the idea of homework at the dining room table and all non-computer homework first. Love flash cards. 2 hour blocks sounds reasonable to me but they are going to have a hard time with that one! Luckily, my husb ...more
Amy Edwards
Just wasn't all that interesting after all. I skimmed through it and saw mostly obvious organization suggestions or ideas that were for me, at this stage of my life, not new.
Ryan Mac
This was an excellent guide to helping boys learn to be more organized for school and everyday life. The author lays out a common sense approach to organization and gives plenty of suggestions and examples to assist parents on how to implement her strategies. I would strongly suggest this book for anyone with a child that needs some help with organization. I am looking forward to trying some of her suggestions with my own teenage son.
Jenny
Did not read it in entirety - I feel like the organization skills offered were a great idea, but realistically for a boy such as my awesome son - they would not work...... I am trying to figure out how best to help him now (6th grade) before school gets tougher and tougher.

Not a bad book at all....just not quite right for us
Amy
Some great ideas for keeping distracted pre-pubescent boys focused on schoolwork. I should hold off the rating until I see how effective it is once I implement the author's ideas, but it was very interesting and applied to my 11-year-old with every page. She really knows what she's talking about!
Bryan Wilson
This is a fascinating look at adolescent male psychology and the things that parents and teachers can do to help them organize their lives better for better achievement. I have already referenced this book many times in my classes, and I'd highly recommend it for anyone who works with teenage boys.
Bobbie
This book has great ideas to help middle and high school boys organize *themselves*. I think its a good book for any parent of a scatter-brained boy.
This book could have used a bit of editing, there were alot of 'stories' and 'I'll tell you in a later chapter...', which was annoying.
David Thornley
Those of us with teenage boys will understand. Like any self-help/help others screed, there is a self-promotional aspect to Crumpled Paper. That said, if you recognize that it isn't Faulkner (nor pretends to be), Homayoun provides answers you can share with your disorganized boy.
Beth
While much of the advice in this book is "common sense", I did come away with several new ideas. I especially like the author's recommendations about using flash cards to help kids study and organize their thoughts.
Jane
This book gives some great insight into how to help with distraction and disorganization.. nice case studies. She really looks at what boys need and how they are diferent learners than girls, as a whole.
Dawn
Hoping to get Michael on track, he is so disorganized and forgetful!!!
I am reading this until I get my book club book on Wednesday.

Some very good ideas to get Michael started on organizing.
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Raising Kids Who Read: What Parents and Teachers Can Do
  • The Trouble with Boys: A Surprising Report Card on Our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do
  • Smart but Scattered: The Revolutionary "Executive Skills" Approach to Helping Kids Reach Their Potential
  • Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • The Myth of Laziness
  • What a Son Needs from His Mom
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • How Do You Tuck in a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys
  • The Artist's Way for Parents: Raising Creative Children
  • Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men
  • Learning Outside The Lines : Two Ivy League Students With Learning Disabilities And ADHD Give You The Tools For Academic Success and Educational Revolution
  • Power of Play: How Spontaneous, Imaginative Activities Lead to Happier, Healthier Children
  • Catching Up or Leading the Way: American Education in the Age of Globalization
Since founding Green Ivy Educational Consulting, Ana has become a nationally recognized innovator of motivational organization and time-management strategies for junior high and high school students.

She is the author of two books: The Myth of the Perfect Girl: Helping Our Daughters Find Authentic Success and Happiness in School and Life (2012), and That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping D
More about Ana Homayoun...