Start by marking “That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week” as Want to Read:
That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  338 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
As featured in the "New York Times," an expert shows parents how to get disorganized boys focused, engaged and thriving.
Crumpled homework. Missed assignments. Falling grades. For many boys and their frustrated parents, these are facts of life. But they don't have to be.
Ana Homayoun has helped transform the most disorganized and unfocused boys into successful students.
Published January 5th 2010 by Perigee Books (first published December 18th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week

Sarenna
This book had some excellent ideas for helping organize middle and high school aged boys, and I plan to put some of them to practice. My only complaint is that much of the book focused on her success stories rather than actual organizational strategies or implementation. I found myself skimming much of the book to find information that was relevant to me and my child.
Jodi
Mar 29, 2015 Jodi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers and parents of struggling students
I picked up this book to try to understand some of my disorganized, under-achieving students. The book is well-written and has good, easy advice but I cannot say I learned anything earth-shattering upon reading it. I liked the reminder to let students take responsibility for their successes and failures - also to know that progress always seems to be two steps forward and one step back! I also enjoyed reading about the different "types" of students a teacher or parent might encounter! I could ce ...more
Ryan
May 11, 2016 Ryan rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
apparently this person has an office in the silicon valley where well-to-do helicopter parents bring their boys (only) specifically to get organized. the first session is always 2 hours of organizing the child's binder. then they talk about how the kid feels about himself and what he likes to do in his spare time. then he feels like he's in charge of his life and he lives happily ever after.

miraculously, no struggling students are struggling because they are stupid, they all just lack organizat
Tiffany Cooke
Jun 02, 2012 Tiffany Cooke rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Parents of disorganized kids who are not doing well in school
This week I finished up That Crumpled Paper was Due Last Week: Helping Disorganized and Distracted Boys Succeed in School and Life by Ana Homayoun.
Once again the title grabbed my attention and I had to read it because I happen to know lots of disorganized and distacted boys, including my son. Nick's backpack is always full of crumpled up pieces of paper no matter how many folders or organization ideas we put into place. Since I am dreading another year of helping him survive school, I was loo
Mackenzie
Feb 22, 2010 Mackenzie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Never to early to start thinking boy thoughts, seeing as I have three of them. And this book is really fantastic. Though Homayoun doesn't use the word 'respect' in the book, quite a few of her points and strategies are based on the idea of respecting your sons. This book is FULL of good advice, principles, and pointers, all of which are the fruit of many years of working with boys and their parents. While this must be an invaluable tool for getting you and your son out of trouble you've created ...more
Peggy
Aug 27, 2014 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
I got a lot of really great organizing ideas from this book. Both of my children are in middle school and I am tired of their backpacks being stuffed with papers and everything a big mixed up mess. Trying to set up good habits before High school next year. The first day of school teachers told one of my sons he could not use his own planner. They must use school planner. Day two teacher told my son he may not have separate binders for each subject. She wants ONE 3 inch binder for ALL subjects in ...more
Trace
Jul 21, 2015 Trace rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent system for getting boys (middle school and up) organized for school. Some of the steps won't apply to my son for grade 4, but I will get him started on this system so that, hopefully, it becomes second nature by the time he's older.
Lisabeth
Oct 26, 2015 Lisabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kid-freak-out
The first thing this book did was to allay my fears that something was terribly wrong with my gifted but underperforming son. It's right there in the introduction: boys just typically lack the brain development (aka executive functioning) that allow them to organize and multitask in the way that school requires them to.

The author does lay out a very prescriptive vision of The Right Way To Do Things. We chose not to follow her ideas slavishly, but I will give the author much credit for inspiring
Summer
Oct 06, 2015 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ana Homayoun really knows teens and parents. Her writing shows profound understanding of the various stressors going on that lead to missed assignments and poor grades. She leads you gently to many simple and do-able things that you can implement in your household to help your teen get on track.

The best thing about this book is that it makes you feel like you're not alone and you probably are already doing many good things. She just gently suggests a few tweaks that can help. She preaches patie
Melissa
Mar 06, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! Great and easy to follow tips. Already implemented a few.
Geoff
Sep 03, 2014 Geoff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even though I am incredibly organized, I often think I can be much more organized and wonder how other people stay organized, so when I first heard about this book from Ann on Books on the Nightstand I knew I had to get a copy. I loved the title and wanted to read more about it the organizational suggestions. I grabbed a copy from my local library and here I am.

Overall, I enjoyed the book and it’s set up like many other self-help books: suggestion, how-to, summary and any worksheets or tools y
Alison Shoepe
For me, this book was a little disappointing. While for some just starting down the missing assignment road, this book might have some viable options; but for someone who has been navigating that road for a few years, there wasn't much I haven't tried. Most of the ideas here are common sense and things you've probably already been over with your kiddo.

If your son is just showing this kind of behavior, it might be a good place to start. But if you're at the end of your rope and looking for ideas
Catherine
A good insight into how the minds of boys can work differently... and how mine has been very much like a boy's as well.

I want to remember this one for when school gets more involved for the kiddos, to provide help with studying and organizing. And perhaps to bring me back to simpler times, and to get back to being organized as well. :)
Jenny
May 10, 2016 Jenny rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was good information and for that I give it 3 stars. But really, I think it could have been outlined in a pamphlet and been just as effective. I didn't read anything amazing that made me go, "I never would have thought of that!" Common sense strategies for keeping your kids organized, but nothing earth-shattering here.
Andrea
Nov 21, 2015 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Of all of the executive functioning type books I've read recently, and there have been a few, this one had the most practical ideas to implement. Nicely laid out and provides some good charts/schedules for parents to use as tools, rather than just labeling the problems and suggesting the usual things, lists, timers, etc.
Heidi
Aug 02, 2016 Heidi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this to get some strategies to help my son prepare to enter middle school this fall. The author gives practical, helpful advice that I think would help anyone who needs help with time management, organization, and basic study skills.
Alicia
Apr 13, 2016 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I started reading this book last summer, I thought, eh, all common sense, I don't need this, my son is fine. And then, 13 hit my son and his brain went haywire. This is a lot of common sense, but it is broken down in a way that makes it easy to implement various strategies.
Lise
Apr 12, 2014 Lise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you have a boy in the upper middle school years who is completely disorganized, much to his detriment in school, you are not alone! This is the book for you. Read it, and smile. There is hope, but it does take effort.
Sherri
Oct 01, 2014 Sherri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I admit I have an aversion to parenting books and was skeptical that I'd get much out of this. But this book is full of useful strategies and practical, flexible advice for helping your middle school/high school boy take ownership of his work and come up with an organization system. We still have a long way to go, but even the few tips we've implemented already have made a major difference in grades and stress levels. I just wish I'd read this before middle school started!
R. C.
Jul 10, 2010 R. C. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wish I could mark this as read and as to-read because I am going to be browsing it over and over as I homeschool my four boys. The author reiterates the studies that show boys dropping out of academia at faster rates than girls. She then posits that boys have this issue because they are not wired to multitask, especially in areas that require maintaining communication with multiple people. I'm not sure that's true. Seems to me that girls are wordier and boys like to hammer things. But as a fem ...more
Beth
Jun 16, 2010 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is was written for parents with disorganized and distracted boys. I would've also liked strategies for how teachers can manage them as well. But this will definitely be a book I recommend for any parents I meet with who have boys who have trouble succeeding in school due to organization.

I really like the goal setting worksheet she gives in the book. That is one thing I can utilize as a teacher and will be using that with all my students next year - not just the disorganized boys. I al
Amy
Apr 08, 2011 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
This was an easy read. Although it's targeted more towards boys in middle and high school, it gives some good ideas on studying/succeeding in school that are applicable to girls too and that could apply to various ages. It didn't need to be as long as it was; I thought many sections just repeated itself.

A point it made that I hadn't really thought of (yet) is the affect of technology (texting, IM, facebook) on our kids while they are trying to study - a lot of distractions we didn't have. Gave m
April
Apr 12, 2014 April rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A friend recommended this. I read a good part of it over spring break and bought the stuff needed to get my guy organized. Time will tell if it helps.
Deborah
Sep 24, 2014 Deborah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an excellent read for a parent of a newly started high school son. Got to get the study sorted for him. Plenty of great tips!
Shelby
Jun 29, 2014 Shelby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book has lots of practical strategies for boys (and girls). It can get a little tedious and repetitive toward the end, but overall I think parents and children who need it will find it useful.
Michelle
Jun 19, 2015 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This provided exactly what I didn't realize that I desperately needed: concrete, very detailed steps to help my son get organized and stay organized in school. Plus a fair amount of good general advice for parents of underachieving boys.
Meghan
Jan 11, 2015 Meghan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mostly common sense. I expected more academic/studies to back up her ideas. I had hoped for more why this works/science behind it than just logic and plans.
Full of anecdotes of boys she has worked with.
Julie
May 03, 2010 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The target audience for this book is parents of boys who need some help multi-tasking and organizing the vast amount of homework, papers, practices, reports, project and more that occupy today's students. Although the author is targeting this for boys, I think this book is useful for parents of boys and girls - I even picked up some useful tips on juggling my own scattered 'to do' list. If you are looking for a book with lots of academic theory, this is not it. But, if you are searching for a ha ...more
Bookmouse
Jun 15, 2015 Bookmouse rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful advice on organization and study habits. Perfect sense to me now let's see how it works with my 14 and13 year old boys. Plan to implement in steps as suggested. The problem is they think they know it all at this age. The messy desk and binder is soon true. Drives me cazy. Like the idea of homework at the dining room table and all non-computer homework first. Love flash cards. 2 hour blocks sounds reasonable to me but they are going to have a hard time with that one! Luckily, my husb ...more
Katrina
Jan 09, 2016 Katrina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: parenting
Good strategies.
  • Late, Lost, and Unprepared: A Parents' Guide to Helping Children with Executive Functioning
  • Raising Kids Who Read: What Parents and Teachers Can Do
  • Growing Up Global: Raising Children to Be At Home in the World
  • What a Son Needs from His Mom
  • The Good Son: Shaping the Moral Development of Our Boys and Young Men
  • The Trouble with Boys: A Surprising Report Card on Our Sons, Their Problems at School, and What Parents and Educators Must Do
  • Executive Skills in Children and Adolescents: A Practical Guide to Assessment and Intervention
  • Simplify Your Homeschool Day: Shorten Your Day Sweeten Your Time
  • Reading Ladders: Leading Students from Where They Are to Where We'd Like Them to Be
  • Smart but Scattered Teens: The "Executive Skills" Program for Helping Teens Reach Their Potential
  • Boys Adrift: The Five Factors Driving the Growing Epidemic of Unmotivated Boys and Underachieving Young Men
  • Fires in the Mind: What Kids Can Tell Us about Motivation and Mastery
  • The Big Disconnect: Protecting Childhood and Family Relationships in the Digital Age
  • The Teenage Brain: A Neuroscientist's Survival Guide to Raising Adolescents and Young Adults
  • The Myth of Laziness
  • How Do You Tuck in a Superhero?: And Other Delightful Mysteries of Raising Boys
  • The Book of Learning and Forgetting
  • The Global Achievement Gap: Why Our Kids Don't Have the Skills They Need for College, Careers, and Citizenship—and What We Can Do About It
Since founding Green Ivy Educational Consulting, Ana has become a nationally recognized innovator of motivational organization and time-management strategies for junior high and high school students.

She is the author of two books: The Myth of the Perfect Girl: Helping Our Daughters Find Authentic Success and Happiness in School and Life (2012), and That Crumpled Paper Was Due Last Week: Helping D
More about Ana Homayoun...