Start by marking “My Heart Is Like a Zoo” as Want to Read:
My Heart Is Like a Zoo

My Heart Is Like a Zoo

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  1,270 ratings  ·  186 reviews
Welcome to the zoo!

Twenty animals are waiting for you—some are familiar, some may be brand-new.

What are they doing?

How are they feeling?

Are they friends of yours?

Come on in and say hello!

Michael Hall's menagerie invites you and your children to talk about feelings and emotions, explore color and shapes, count the hearts, and meet the animals.
Published December 22nd 2009 by Greenwillow Books

To ask other readers questions about My Heart Is Like a Zoo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Heart Is Like a Zoo

Shawn Thrasher
I'm really torn here. The premise of this book is quite clever, a poem comparing love to different kinds of animals - eager as a beaver, steady as a yak, angry as a bear (why bears should be singled out as angry, I'm not sure). It's sort of like John Donne and Dr. Seuss got together and wrote a poem (in writer's heaven, I guess, considering they are both dead). The illustrations are brightly colored heart shapes, done in a collage to create the different animals, very modern art (a "heartist" ra ...more
Treasa
I love this combination of boldly colorful illustrations with cleverly done rhyming text. The animals in the illustrations are made almost entirely out of hearts of various sizes and colors that overlap. It is amazing how such a simple concept can create such adorable, cuddly-looking animals. The text may not be the most amazing thing ever written, but it made me laugh several times. The book had me at the "herd of hippos drinking apple juice."

I don't know that many children will actually get th
N_stefanie Akwa
My Heart is Like a Zoo, by Michael Hall, is a short picture book that creatively uses heart shapes on every page. Hall colorfully creates twenty different animals one would find at the zoo, and poetically gives the reader one or two short lines about each animal. This book would be great to use during a poetry unit, with many simple examples of alliteration, similes, and rhyme. It could be used to model literary terms for High School ELL and elementary students. Of course, “Happy as a herd of hi ...more
Lisa Mckay
Using zoo animals to rhyme with, this book identifies common emotions. In addition to rhymes, each animal is coupled with an illustration to get a better understanding of how they feel. Readers can relate to the angry face a bear might make or how it feels to leap in the air like a jumpy frog.

I would recommend this book for grades 2nd-3rd. Although this book may seem immature, I immediately thought that it could be a useful tool in getting through some major writer's block. At this age, student
Emma (Miss Print)
Hundreds of hearts come together to shape some animals both familiar and exotic in this rhyming romp through the various phases of a child’s heart before they retire after a busy day (as busy as a zookeeper's even!).

My Heart is Like a Zoo (2010) by Michael Hall introduces children to a variety of new concepts beyond emotions and feelings. The varied palette for both animals and backgrounds can introduce colors as easily as the animals themselves can be used for a counting exercise. Hall uses hea
Maricor
My Heart is Like a Zoo, by Michael Hall (2009)
Picture Book, 30 pages
Full of fascinating heart-shaped animals and cleaver similes, My Heart Is Like a Zoo is a whimsical cross between handcrafted Scandinavian hearts and colorful comparisons. Both parents and children will love examining these creatively constructed animals on the colorfully contrasted pages. Teachers may even use this as a great resource to teach basic adjectives or similes. As a possible jumping-point for penning their own simil
Ann Nekola
Audience: Primary
Genre: Non-Fiction Picture Book
Fiction Twin Text-Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type by Doreen Cronin

My heart is like a zoo is a story that has a different zoo animal listed on every page. It is a very simple book with few words but really cute pictures. I would use the book Click, Clack, Moo: Cows That Type as a fiction twin to this book because it has a number of farm animals mentioned in it and also really great pictures. I would use these two books together to expand the stude
Ina
More than 300 heart shapes are used in this book to illustrate all of the zoo animals that illustrate qualities of the heart. Big, bold full page illustrations couple with big, simple rhyming text to make this a great read-aloud especially for very young readers. I am going to read this for my February baby storytimes...as well as my older group. For the older group, we'll have an after activity where we will take heart shapes and create our own zoo animal.
Elizabeth
This book is great for children in preschool and up. Four years through seven years in my opinion would love this book best. It's a cute take on all the characteristics of the author's heart. This picture book is appealing because of it's colorful pictures of each animal made out of hearts and the emotions on each page for each animal. For example, the book contains emotions such as: brave as a lion, snappy as a crab, and thoughtful as a owl. The book is fast-paced and easy to read and for the c ...more
Heidi
This is a very cute book about zoo animals. All the animals are made of hearts and are very colorful. This book could be an introduction for a lesson on alliteration, rhyming, similes or even a simple Valentine's Day story. Because all the animals are made of hearts, students could count how many hearts can be found on one page or even the entire book.

Reading Level: Pre-K- 1st grade

Genre: Picture Book

Topic: Zoo Animals

Use: Read Aloud & Independent Reading

Literary Elements: Alliteration, rhy
Amy Musser
All the animals in this colorful and vibrant book, from the hungry heron to the silly seal are created from heart shapes. The book uses animals to express the different kinds of love we can feel, from thoughtful to brave.

Hall’s digital illustrations are precise, yet playful as he manipulates the simple heart shape into different animal forms. The humble heart shape is celebrated by creating brightly colored animals. The rhyming text is brief and full of adjectives and alliteration.

Full Review a
April Thompson
Cute heart shaped animals!

Eager as a beaver
Snappy as a crab
Brave as a lion
Shanaria
This is an awesome book not only does it teach children about the different feelings they may have it also teaches them that animals have feelings too. I also enjoyed the illustration of this book it is very creative because all the pictures are made of hearts. the book also has lots of exotic animals.

Let the children pick their favorite animal from the story and then they will make that animal with precut hearts. Depending on their age and skill level they may be able to cut the hearts out them
Kathryn
Who could resist that cute lion on the cover!? Certainly not me!!! ;-) I very much enjoyed this sweet little book. The text is simple rhymes, saying all the feelings in one's heart that are like an animal i.e., "my heart is brave as a lion" and so on. The illustrations are the real fun, though, as each animal is made up (some entirely so) of hearts! The final illustration is just perfect and ties everything together beautifully. So creative, and very fun for Valentine's Day, too.
Kristin Fletcher-spear
fabulous artwork. Vivid colors. All animals made out of hearts. I could totally see a craft/art lesson using this. I read this a few wks ago @ work, but I shared for nighttime with charlie today. He paid wonderful attention to it. ehe enjoyed the bright colors,the different animals, and when finished with the bk he turned it back to the beginning again.

definitely buying a cop of this for us to keep.
Mandy Peterson

Audience: ages 2 to 10 interested in art, language, or animals
Appeal: creative pictures using shapes and bold colors, similes help decode unknown words, and general applications
List: IRA Primary Non-fiction 2011

Good for teaching traits, similes, art, and language. Cute book and could teach animals. Lends itself to multiple disciplines. Try to use during week 1 of school this year!
Relyn
Jun 13, 2012 Relyn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teachers, parents, kids
Recommended to Relyn by: I love the author.
YES!! This is the second time Michael Hall has hit a homerun. This is a fantastic author/illustrator. If you are a parent or teacher, rush out and buy his books. They are FULL of inspiration and imagination.

Lesson Connection
This would be a great jumping off point for a class book. Especially if I used it the first week of school to introduce book making. Can't wait!
Joy
Gorgeous animal book, in which all the animals are created out of heart shapes. The text is short but uses enough interesting words to help build vocabulary (words like "portly"), and the colorful illustrations with their strong shapes are a joy. Could be used for a lot of different storytime themes: animals, shapes, zoo, Valentine's Day, etc.
Karen Arendt
Katie
Hall arranges the heart shape in order to create all sorts of different animals & describes their moods. Excellent rhyme scheme & a great way to introduce different emotions & feelings to young children. You can even omit pages in order to shorten the book for a young toddler audience. Great for Valentine's, shapes, animals.
April Robertson
Audience: pre K-1st graders

Appeal:Perfect book to teach colors and shapes to younger students. Great pictures and it was a great book for young children. I also believe this would be an amazing book for a Art teacher to show children how to make a picture from a simple shape. Adorable book!

2011 IRA Children's Honor Book
Alyson
Bright colors, fun rhymes and very clever use of heart shapes to make all the animals. Budding artists will be amazed that all these were created with hearts. Whether you use this as motivation for some art projects or as a read aloud before bed, this book will warm your heart.
Rachel
This book is a great book for young pre-school age children and early elementary grades. It has beautiful illustrations and rhyming to helps children with phonological awareness. It also is an easy book to help students feel like readers early because it is a predictable book in format.
Kelley
My Heart is Like a Zoo uses the shape of a heart to create different animals. Extremely creative way of showing shapes in different ways. I would use this book as a read aloud followed by an art activity where the students get to create their own heart animals.
Westerville
Becky says, "What a cool book! All the animals are made of heart shapes (over 300 hearts in all). This invites lots of counting, observation, and shape recognition. It also make for a great design study in simplicity, layering, and negative shapes. Oh, and similes."
Rebecca
Ayana Mishelle
I loved loved loved this book. Great for alliteration, counting, colors and shapes, great for kindergarten- 1st grade. this book is also good for discussing feeling and emotions a great book for independent reading and read-a louds .
June
Feb 12, 2014 June rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Animal, Valentine and zoo requests
Recommended to June by: Eboni
I have used this for programming and it definitely leads into a craft. A different kind of story for Valentine or animal/zoo story times. 1/1/10

Used for story time and the children liked calling out the animals they recognized.
Tdavis
Mar 02, 2011 Tdavis rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Two - Kindergartners
I adore this book! The rhyming text matches the animals, which are all made out the shape of a heart. Cute!

Early Literacy Skills:

Phonological Awareness
Print Motivation
Vocabulary
  • Dancing Feet!
  • I Spy With My Little Eye
  • Lots of Dots
  • Perfect Square
  • Do You Know Which Ones Will Grow?
  • The Thingamabob
  • Wow! Said the Owl
  • A Book of Sleep
  • Clip-Clop
  • Can You Make a Scary Face?
  • Oh, Daddy!
  • A Good Day
  • Hello Baby!
  • Tuck Me In!
  • Read It, Don't Eat It!
  • All Kinds of Kisses
  • Butterfly Butterfly: A Book of Colors
  • Jump!
It's an Orange Aardvark! The Joy of Linux the Joy of Linux Leaving Home : A Conducted Tour Of Twentieth Century Music With Simon Rattle Red: A Crayon's Story Waddesdon Manor: The Heritage of a Rothschild House