Alison's Zinnia

Alison's Zinnia

3.76 of 5 stars 3.76  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  18 reviews
"Alison acquired an Amaryllis for Beryl. Beryl bought a Begonia for Crystal . . ". and so it went until "Zena zeroed in on a Zinnia for Alison". An exquisite alphabetical pattern takes readers from A-Z and back again through a dazzling, full-color floral odyssey. It raises the spirits, delights the eye, and tickles the imagination . . . a tour de force".--The Horn Book.
Published April 25th 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published July 1st 1900)

Mary
A classic in the Alphabet book genre, Alison's Zinnia features beautiful illustrations of flowers in alphabetic sequence each of which are given to, and received by, characters whose names are also in alphabetic sequence. The reader and those read-to will have fun following the letters of the alphabet from flower to giver, A to Z and back again.

CIP Summary
"Alison acquired an amaryllis for Beryl who bought a begonia for Crystal--and so on through the alphabet, as full page illustrations are prese...more
Kathryn
Apr 17, 2012 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: flower lovers, young gardeners, alphabet book fans
Just beautiful! I love the illustrations, they are so bold yet so sweet. The collection of flowers is marvelous, I so appreciate that Lobel went beyond the "typical" flowers and included some that we don't hear of everyday. The text is engaging and flows so nicely from one girl and flower to the next. "Alison acquired an Amaryllis for Beryl. Beryl bought a Begonia for Crystal . . ". and so on until things come full circle and even sweet Alison who started it all gets a Zinnia from Zena. gardener...more
Connie
Alison acquires an amaryllis for Beryl, and so it continues through the alphabet until Zena zeroes in on that zinnia for Alison.

The concept, I thought, was better done with Ogres! Ogres! Ogres!: A Feasting Frenzy from A to Z.

The pictures are pretty enough (the flowers more than the girls), however, I was disappointed to note that in a book of 26 little girls, exactly one of them is non-white. In 1990, I would have expected something more accurately representing the ethnic makeup of the country,...more
Sarah Sammis
Living close to the coast in California means year round flowers. What the flowers are changes by the season and certainly spring and summer provide the most variety and amount of flowers but there will still be roses, poppies and daisies in fall and winter.

So growing up with such variety I feel like I should be more familiar with flower varieties. My grandmother certainly was and she did try to teach me beyond the basics but somehow her encyclopedic recall for flowers and plants just didn't tak...more
Samantha
Each page of "Alison's Zinnia" presents a letter of the alphabet by naming flowers that begin with that particular letter. For example: A-Amaryllis, B-Begonia, C-Chrysanthemum, ect. The book also uses unique children's names to corelate with the same letter as the flower (Dawn/Daffodil or Emily/Easter Lily) and to reiterate the phonological sound.

The author, Anita Lobel, created beautiful paintings of flowers to illustrate the story. The simplistic and vibrant colors on every page could easily...more
Elizabeth
I liked the premise, rhythm, and alliteration that Lobel used in this alphabet book. Young readers will get enjoy playing with the letter sounds to predict which flower/name will come next. I didn't find the illustrations remarkable, but the flowers are detailed and lovely. The smaller illustrations tell the "story" of each girl in the scene.

I was a little put-off by the lack of cultural diversity (the girls are nearly all white) and gender bias. I understand that the author's personal constrai...more
Amanda
Alison's Zinnia by Anita Lobel is an ABC book about flowers. Each letter of the alphabet is represented as a flower and a girl's name. The pictures are painted with beautifully and show the scenes of the ladies and flowers very well. Lobel's color palette is bright and colorful and she keeps the pages turning with each illustration. I really enjoyed the wide array of flowers and names chosen. With that being said, I did find some of the names hard to pronounce. Make sure you read through first b...more
Linda Lipko
A very quick read of delightful images of lovely flowers illustrated by the very talented Anita Lobel
Janet
I am partial to flowers and the illustrations here are wonderful. Lobel's one page summary describing how the book originated and a personal insight about her Polish childhood add greatly to the enjoyment of the illustrations. There is a formula to this picture book--girl-verb-flower--the illustrations depict a girl and a flower for each letter of the alphabet. A remarkable visual feast.
Yates Marie
This book is about flowers and the alphabet. On every page, there are different names that go with different flowers that begin with each letter of the alphabet. This book is about community because it has people picking flowers for other people.
Lesley
What beautiful pictures in an alphabet book! Loved the choices of flowers in the illustrations, and the accompanying children's names were well chosen. I'm sorry I missed this book during my teaching days!
Rebecca
A book the mother or grandmother who buys it would enjoy but the child less so - not so fun, and alphabet not culminating, or the bok carrying a rhythm that makes you want to proceed.
LaSchelle
Feb 22, 2008 LaSchelle rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LaSchelle by: Alexis and Colleen
Shelves: children, own
A beautiful A to Z book with flowers. I used to read this to my niece. It was one of her favorite bedtime stories. I still love it and it has beautiful illustrations.
Rebecca
Beautiful pictures. An alphabet book that actually carries the entire alphabet (including "X"... though I've never heard of anyone named Xantippa before).
Wastell Mcneil
this book is a letter book. For each letter there's a sentence. I think that this is a good book for kids who are learning their letters.
Bree
Notes:
unique abc book
one flower/girls name/action per letter
gorgeous art
Paige Albright Vanderpool
ABC: Great to teach alliteration and great verbs! Pretty pictures of flowers.
Alfajirikali
A beautifully illustrated flower alphabet book.
Jason Beyer
Jason Beyer marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Brenda
Brenda added it
Aug 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anita Lobel is an illustrator of children's books. Her memoir that depicts her childhood of flight and imprisonment in Nazi-occupied Poland, ''No Pretty Pictures'' was a finalist for the National Book Award.

She has also received the Caldecott Honor Medal.
More about Anita Lobel...
No Pretty Pictures: A Child of War Hello, Day! Nini Lost and Found 10 Hungry Rabbits: Counting & Color Concepts Nini Here and There