Start by marking “Alison's Zinnia” as Want to Read:
Alison's Zinnia

Alison's Zinnia

Alison acquired an Amaryllis for Beryl. Beryl bought a Begonia for Crystal . . . and so it went until Zena zeroed in on a Zinnia for Alison. An exquisite alphabetical pattern takes readers from A-Z and back again through a dazzling, full-color floral odyssey. It raises the spirits, delights the eye, and tickles the imagination . . . a tour de force.--The Horn Book.
Published April 25th 1996 by Turtleback Books (first published July 1st 1900)

To ask other readers questions about Alison's Zinnia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alison's Zinnia

Mary
Apr 06, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alphabet, lis-565
A classic in the Alphabet book genre, Alison's Zinnia features beautiful illustrations of flowers in alphabetic sequence each of which are given to, and received by, characters whose names are also in alphabetic sequence. The reader and those read-to will have fun following the letters of the alphabet from flower to giver, A to Z and back again.

CIP Summary
"Alison acquired an amaryllis for Beryl who bought a begonia for Crystal--and so on through the alphabet, as full page illustrations are prese
Kathryn
Apr 17, 2012 Kathryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: flower lovers, young gardeners, alphabet book fans
Just beautiful! I love the illustrations, they are so bold yet so sweet. The collection of flowers is marvelous, I so appreciate that Lobel went beyond the "typical" flowers and included some that we don't hear of everyday. The text is engaging and flows so nicely from one girl and flower to the next. "Alison acquired an Amaryllis for Beryl. Beryl bought a Begonia for Crystal . . ". and so on until things come full circle and even sweet Alison who started it all gets a Zinnia from Zena. gardener ...more
Sarah Sammis
Living close to the coast in California means year round flowers. What the flowers are changes by the season and certainly spring and summer provide the most variety and amount of flowers but there will still be roses, poppies and daisies in fall and winter.

So growing up with such variety I feel like I should be more familiar with flower varieties. My grandmother certainly was and she did try to teach me beyond the basics but somehow her encyclopedic recall for flowers and plants just didn't tak
Connie
Feb 02, 2010 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alison acquires an amaryllis for Beryl, and so it continues through the alphabet until Zena zeroes in on that zinnia for Alison.

The concept, I thought, was better done with Ogres! Ogres! Ogres!: A Feasting Frenzy from A to Z.

The pictures are pretty enough (the flowers more than the girls), however, I was disappointed to note that in a book of 26 little girls, exactly one of them is non-white. In 1990, I would have expected something more accurately representing the ethnic makeup of the country,
Samantha
Each page of "Alison's Zinnia" presents a letter of the alphabet by naming flowers that begin with that particular letter. For example: A-Amaryllis, B-Begonia, C-Chrysanthemum, ect. The book also uses unique children's names to corelate with the same letter as the flower (Dawn/Daffodil or Emily/Easter Lily) and to reiterate the phonological sound.

The author, Anita Lobel, created beautiful paintings of flowers to illustrate the story. The simplistic and vibrant colors on every page could easily
Elizabeth
I liked the premise, rhythm, and alliteration that Lobel used in this alphabet book. Young readers will get enjoy playing with the letter sounds to predict which flower/name will come next. I didn't find the illustrations remarkable, but the flowers are detailed and lovely. The smaller illustrations tell the "story" of each girl in the scene.

I was a little put-off by the lack of cultural diversity (the girls are nearly all white) and gender bias. I understand that the author's personal constrai
Amanda
Sep 11, 2012 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abc
Alison's Zinnia by Anita Lobel is an ABC book about flowers. Each letter of the alphabet is represented as a flower and a girl's name. The pictures are painted with beautifully and show the scenes of the ladies and flowers very well. Lobel's color palette is bright and colorful and she keeps the pages turning with each illustration. I really enjoyed the wide array of flowers and names chosen. With that being said, I did find some of the names hard to pronounce. Make sure you read through first b ...more
Janet
Feb 18, 2011 Janet rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am partial to flowers and the illustrations here are wonderful. Lobel's one page summary describing how the book originated and a personal insight about her Polish childhood add greatly to the enjoyment of the illustrations. There is a formula to this picture book--girl-verb-flower--the illustrations depict a girl and a flower for each letter of the alphabet. A remarkable visual feast.
Jd Ehringer
Another good book to teach kids the alphabet. Uses great illustrations which would further engage the kids. I had no idea there were so many interesting books that could used for something such as learning the alphabet. I would definitely use at least one of these books if I was in a primary classroom.
Jade Detzer
This alphabet book uses a lot of alliteration. This book is another good book for older elementary school students who may be struggling with aspects of the alphabet or phonics. This book could also be used in a science lesson learning about flowers.
Yates Marie
This book is about flowers and the alphabet. On every page, there are different names that go with different flowers that begin with each letter of the alphabet. This book is about community because it has people picking flowers for other people.
Lesley Looper
What beautiful pictures in an alphabet book! Loved the choices of flowers in the illustrations, and the accompanying children's names were well chosen. I'm sorry I missed this book during my teaching days!
Rebecca
Beautiful pictures. An alphabet book that actually carries the entire alphabet (including "X"... though I've never heard of anyone named Xantippa before).
Rebecca
Apr 26, 2013 Rebecca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
A book the mother or grandmother who buys it would enjoy but the child less so - not so fun, and alphabet not culminating, or the bok carrying a rhythm that makes you want to proceed.
Alfajirikali
Sep 01, 2008 Alfajirikali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated flower alphabet book.
Angela
Mar 26, 2015 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: elementary-books
I like the flow of the book. The text is predictable, but still fun. I love the use of different verbs, as well as their attachment to the letter. The illustrations are lovely.
Paige Albright Vanderpool
ABC: Great to teach alliteration and great verbs! Pretty pictures of flowers.
Massanutten Regional Library
Danielle, Central patron, August 2016, 5 stars:

This book has beautiful paintings of flowers.
Amanda Connelly
Sep 15, 2015 Amanda Connelly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edrd314
Pretty floral painting
Linda Lipko
A very quick read of delightful images of lovely flowers illustrated by the very talented Anita Lobel
Karen
Dec 11, 2014 Karen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a sweet, beautiful alphabet book that has a slight twist -- the last name used looks ahead to the next letter of the alphabet.
LaSchelle
Feb 22, 2008 LaSchelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to LaSchelle by: Alexis and Colleen
Shelves: children, own
A beautiful A to Z book with flowers. I used to read this to my niece. It was one of her favorite bedtime stories. I still love it and it has beautiful illustrations.
Lisa
Lisa rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2011
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Layla
Layla rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2014
Lynn
Lynn rated it really liked it
Feb 10, 2010
Jo-Ann
Jo-Ann rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2014
Jennifer rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2017
Kaa Bercaw
Kaa Bercaw rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2015
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald rated it it was amazing
Mar 31, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Anita Lobel is an illustrator of children's books. Her memoir that depicts her childhood of flight and imprisonment in Nazi-occupied Poland, ''No Pretty Pictures'' was a finalist for the National Book Award.

She has also received the Caldecott Honor Medal.
More about Anita Lobel...