Start by marking “The Male Factor: The Unwritten Rules, Misperceptions, and Secret Beliefs of Men in the Workplace” as Want to Read:

Based on a nationwide survey and confidential interviews with more than three thousand men, bestselling author of For Women Only, Shaunti Feldhahn, has written a startling and unprecedented exploration of how men in the workplace tend to think, which even the most astute women might otherwise miss. In The Male Factor, Feldhahn investigates and quantifies the private though ...more
Published December 29th 2009 by Crown Business (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Male Factor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Male Factor

Debbie
Jan 12, 2010 Debbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I think the women who will most benefit from this book are those who were moving up in a company but now feel like they've hit the "glass ceiling"--they're being passed over for promotion or leadership responsibilities or are feeling like their input is being deliberately ignored. The information in the book can help them understand how their actions may be perceived by their co-workers (and not always just by men) and what they can do to fix the situation.

Unlike her previous books, very few sur
Readnponder
This book endeavors to help women better understand men in the workplace. Generally speaking, men want women to succeed. However, different neurological wiring cause men and women to respond differently in the office. Men find it much more easy to compartmentalize. They prefer separate sphere: keep business and personal separate. Women's brains are more integrated and better at multitasking. A corollary of compartmentalization means that men will be less emotional at work. They tend to see emoti ...more
Pamela
Jan 01, 2014 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The research gives no information on techniques to deal with men, only a perception in what men are like. The best reasonable thing to do is remember history tells us about in how powerful men are and the same respect comes when speaking with them in a professional manner. They do not need to be told what to do just what they should think about to make the situation better in communicating with women at work is basically sticking with the facts. Men are all about facts, and their perception does ...more
Naomi Inman
Mar 19, 2014 Naomi Inman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: communication
I had the opportunity to hear Shaunti speak in the Portland area last month and bought the Male Factor out of great respect for Shaunti's research model and practical approach to understanding men--practical because she truly wants women to thrive in their work and relationships with men.

This book was right on target for me, especially as it relates to understanding how men perceive women--what we do, say, and how we express ourselves emotionally. As women we lose a great deal of power and poten
Keiki Hendrix
Women who work outside their homes or women who work with even one male coworker would do well to read Shaunti Feldhahn `The Male Factor: The Unwritten Rules, Misperceptions, and Secret Beliefs of Men in the Workplace.'

Why? Because is fundamental career research. Because some of your perceptions of life in the working world may need to be adjusted. Or, because the research found in this book and the advice offered could advance the cause of women in the workplace by untold measures.

The The Male
Jennifer Defoy
Got this one as a review copy.

Shaunti Feldhahn spent many years collecting data about how men think, that led her to start collecting information about how men perceive women in the workplace. At first I thought that this would be a bunch of statistics and charts. There were some statistics and charts but that was not the meat of the book. Most of the book explains what men are thinking about working women, why they think that way, and what changes a woman could make to be better accepted by the
Nicole
Jan 02, 2010 Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book investigates the inner thoughts of men and their attitudes toward women in the workplace. Now, I am 4 years removed from having any sort of "workplace," and the only male I deal with all day can be sent to time out if he starts to act out! So why would I care about this book? I do plan on returning to school then work at some point, so I may as well get some advantage in dealing with them. And I thought there would be some aspects that could apply to personal interactions as well.

One o
Denise
Jun 30, 2010 Denise rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I expected to learn a lot from this book but I did not even finish it. The first chapter is about how the data was collected (interesting) then the author presents a "men think like this" statement and goes on with boring examples for the next 10 pages. Then another example of how men think and another 10 pages of quotes from men.

I've been married 23 years, I know how men think. I've worked in a predominately male profession my entire life and most of my friends are male. I need techniques to D
Tara
Feb 12, 2012 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book the author delves into the working world as seen by men and what women often do, without knowing it, to sabotage their own upward momentum. The author spends the first two chapters describing her research and explaining how she came up with the information, what she chose to include and also exclude and the ways in which women can benefit from the information she gained. In no way is this a how to guide or a book on what women must do but more of an explanation of how women's action ...more
Cafelilybookreviews

Shaunti Feldhahn’s newest book is definitely geared towards career women. If you’ve been out of the corporate workplace for any length of time, this book may not hold your interest unless you’re planning to re-enter the workforce.

This book is basically a “how to” guide of how to get along with men in the workplace. Shaunti spent eight years researching the data for this book and enlisted the help of various professionals to gather data, conduct tests and interviews. Chapter 11 was what I consid
Dixie
May 08, 2010 Dixie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Substantial research was given to the topic of "how men view women in the workplace/what do they think of women", and quite frankly, I found the last chapter, which dealt specifically on advise to women, to be the most helpful! I think the target audience for this book are women working in law firms, consulting firms and perhaps even investment banking firms. As someone who is not working in any of those industries, I thought the book, at times, didn't resonate with me. However, the chapters dea ...more
Julie
Sep 25, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Interesting thoughts on what men think -- you may not always agree with it but good to know what they're thoughts are!
Meg
Nov 21, 2010 Meg rated it liked it
there are some interesting insights in this book but there is also a lot of pages trying to calm the reader down about them as well which I found unnecessary.

One thing I found especially interesting is the whole "cleavage part" -- the language used by savvy business men sounded identical to the language you often hear spoken about rape situations "she was asking for it" or "she knew what she was doing". Serious pause for a Venus/mars moment.
Emily
Mar 18, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super fascinating read. Totally recommend it ladies, whether you work at home or in a corporate environment I think this book is a really interesting look into how men think and operate in the workplace and the implications that has for women.

I skimmed through it in about two hours at borders. I think Ch. 8, the Confidence Factor was especially interesting.

Haven't checked out her website www.themalefactor.com but will check it out.
Lois
Dec 27, 2010 Lois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a must read book for every woman in the business world. It provides useful information on how women can better communicate and be more successful in the workplace. The anonymous research questions that were posed to business men reveals their thoughts about some of the things we working women may be doing that hurts our chances to professionally advance.
Stacey
Jul 21, 2010 Stacey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and found it fascinating, though my husband says I could have just asked him how men's brains work. The chapter about what men think we're trying to say by what we wear was illuminating, and troubling. Can't wait until we have more women in agenda-setting positions so we can stop trying to fit ourselves into men's way of thinking.
Shelie
Feb 01, 2010 Shelie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a must read for any women in a male dominated business world. Even though there are many women in business today, the men made the orginal rules. Their perceptions are important and I guarantee you will learn at least 2 things you didn't know about how men perceive women in the workplace.
Julia
May 09, 2010 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very insightful read - especially recommended for anyone that works in a male-dominated field. Written and [well:] researched by a female but pretty unbiased nonetheless. It really shed light on the popular "work-life balance" concept and is worth a read for the chapter on how women dress alone.
Corrie
Mar 10, 2013 Corrie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition

While I found the book very repetitive and was annoyed by the writing style, I did think that the book was definitely worth reading for anyone who works in a male base industry. My work book club (all women in the construction management industry) read this book and we all felt the same way.
Sep 25, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
A must-read for professional women working in a male-dominated workplace. This book gives some good tips for avoiding inadvertently looking unprofessional around the opposite sex. It's not a book intended to convince women to capitulate to the man's world, but rather a description of its parameters.
Noah W
Jan 30, 2014 Noah W rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
The content in this book is right on.

Critical Areas
- How men deal with criticism
- Communicating clearly a.k.a. giving the bottom line
- How to understand what it means to be task driven
Ruthie
Dec 24, 2013 Ruthie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent insights into how men perceive women in the workplace and what we as women unknowingly do to limit our career progression.
Sadie Deitrick
The author makes some good points, but many are obvious. Summary - Men created the business world and thrive better in managerial positions that women.
JoyGenea Schumer
I highly recommend -Ignore the BAD title they gave this book. I almost didn't read this book because of it. I would have missed a really good read.
Amy
Wish I could give half stars.

Well intentioned, some interesting insights, but terrible science, and some bad advice.
Brent Barnard
Jun 18, 2012 Brent Barnard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved reading this so I know what women don't know about men-as-colleagues. Wild (and very helpful).
Stephany
Jun 21, 2012 Stephany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good info, but could be condensed down to a book half the size, without so many examples.
Barbara
Mar 21, 2010 Barbara rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
not such new information. Maybe if you are young and haven't worked long it's new.
Jack
subscribes to deborah tannen's genderlect theory
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
  • Overcoming Fake Talk: How to Hold Real Conversations That Create Respect, Build Relationships, and Get Results
  • A Team of Leaders: Empowering Every Member to Take Ownership, Demonstrate Initiative, and Deliver Results
  • Extreme Trust: Honesty as a Competitive Advantage
  • Leadership Transformed: How Ordinary Managers Become Extraordinary Leaders
  • Game-Changer: Game Theory and the Art of Transforming Strategic Situations
  • Crazy Bosses: Fully Revised and Updated
  • Collaborate or Perish!: Reaching Across Boundaries in a Networked World
  • Can't Buy Me Like
  • Generations at Work: Managing the Clash of Veterans, Boomers, Xers, Nexters in Your Workplace
  • Icons and Idiots: Straight Talk on Leadership
  • Leading the Starbucks Way: 5 Principles for Connecting with Your Customers, Your Products and Your People
  • Nothing Is Impossible: 7 Steps to Realize Your True Power and Maximize Your Results
  • Teamwork 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • How to Change Minds: The Art of Influence without Manipulation
  • Repeatability: Build Enduring Businesses for a World of Constant Change
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
  • It's Not Just Who You Know: Transform Your Life (and Your Organization) by Turning Colleagues and Contacts into Lasting, Genuine Relationships
Shaunti received her graduate degree from Harvard University and was an analyst on Wall Street before unexpectedly becoming a social researcher and best-selling author.

Today, she applies her analytical skills to investigating eye-opening, life-changing truths about relationships, both at home and in the workplace. Her groundbreaking research-based books, such as For Women Only, have sold more than
More about Shaunti Feldhahn...

“You can observe a lot just by watching. —YOGI BERRA” 0 likes