Start by marking “Without a Trace (Rock Harbor Series #1)” as Want to Read:
Without a Trace (Rock Harbor Series #1)

Without a Trace (Rock Harbor #1)

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  3,831 ratings  ·  275 reviews
When a plane carrying Bree Nicholls' husband and son disappears, her life changes forever. Her relentless determination to find them starts an investigation that links their disappearance to a violent crime threatening to tear the peaceful town of Rock Harbor apart.
Mystery fans will love this exciting new series from best-selling author Colleen Coble. Set in the untamed b
Published October 1st 2003 by Thomas Nelson Publishers (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Without a Trace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Without a Trace

Karol
There were numerous facets of this book that made it great to read - characters with longings and friendships that I could relate to, losses to overcome, and a mystery to solve. Plus, the analogy of the great "Hound of Heaven" really spoke to my heart. The author made that analogy come alive for me in a way it never had before. Oh - and then there's the whole "mom" thing, about how deep and strong that bond is. Plus, I enjoyed the setting in Michigan's U.P.

The only difficulty I had with the book
Justin Domnitz
Do you like reading about women who run away to the bathroom to cry over something silly? Do you like being introduced to a dizzying array of characters with no development that are impossible to keep track of? How about gender-bending names or dog names that could be people's names just to make it more complicated? You must love an interesting intro only to have to wade through chapters and chapters of nothing happening for any sort of follow up. Then, this is the book for you! The book has str ...more
Melissa
I really wanted to like this book. The characters were underdeveloped and God kept getting randomly dropped into the story. I kept picturing am episode of Scooby Doo with the stereotypical small town and characters that start bad and turn good and vice versa. At times there was a little suspense which is the only reason I didn't put it down before finishing.
Valerie
I kept checking to make sure this really wasn't the second book in the series. The description leads one to believe that the plane crash occurs in this book. How am I, the reader, supposed to relate to Bree when I know nothing of her relationship with her son and husband? There was no character development, and the plot was so obviously predictible. Bree's overly calm encounter with Rachel at the end of the book would never have happened in real life. This is the first one of Colleen Coble's boo ...more
Michelle
The story was interesting, but I found it fairly predictable. This was Christian fiction, which was not identified anywhere in the description that I bought it from; it was represented as a mystery. While this did not necessarily bother me, it came off as a little preachy. The main character's sudden transformation from a non-believer to a believer was a little over the top and unbelievable.
Ronda  Tutt
Wow, what a great christian story that keeps your wondering through out the whole book. It was a great mystery finding out what happened to Bree's husband and her son. The book kept your interest by giving you ideas of several options of what could of happened to her family with all the twist and turns - starting out with knowing that her husband and son were in a plane crash but didn't know where the crash site was. With the help of her search and resue dog "Sam" and the help of her family and ...more
Rebecca
I picked up Colleen Coble's book A Cry in the Night and was so drawn into the storyline I had to go looking for the rest of the series. Without a Trace is the beginning of this multi book series and it is quite a story. The main character Bri is struggling through life after loosing both her husband and young son in a plane crash in which the wreckage and remains are still unrecovered. Bri continues to make a life for herself in the small community of Rock Harbor using her search and rescue skil ...more
Kathryn
Katie
I read this book along with my book club - it was a decent book. Though the plot was interesting, there was a lot of stilted conversation and unnatural development of relationships between characters. I was wondering if this was one of the firs series that Colleen Coble wrote, because on other books I've read by her, the plot and character development seems a little better. All in all, it was an entertaining read and I am planning on reading the other two books in the series now that I've read t ...more
Ryan
I happened across this book by fluke at a local book store that was clearing a bunch of paperback novels out. I enjoy novels set in more remote locations like this one is, set in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan which is what drew me into this book.
Although I don't consider myself religious is anyway, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I've currently read two of the Rock Harbor Mysteries.
Susan
Way too predictable. Coming off an amazing book by Tana French so maybe I'm being too hard on Coble. The sophistication of the plot, character dev and writing is just too simple. Lots of great reviews for this book but doesn't seem worth the time. Probably a good series for early teen girls?
NancyInWI
A good mystery that kept my interest yet the characters weren't developed enough for me to remember who was who and who was related to whom. And there were some elements of the story that were a bit unbelievable, thus only 3 stars. Not interested enough to read the rest in the series.
Joanie Bruce
Yesterday, I reviewed the book, “The Butterfly Palace” by Colleen Coble. I gave it only three stars, mostly because of personal preference. However, since that time, I’ve read another book by the same author, “Without a Trace,” which is the first book of the Rock Harbor Series. Honestly, I have to tell you that I LOVED this book by Ms. Coble.

What I liked: A Question is raised at the beginning of the book: whether Bree Nichols will find the place where the plane containing her husband and son ha
Teresa B
Bree Nichols and her German Shepherd mix Sampson are part of a K-9 search and rescue team in the rugged wilderness of Michigan's Upper Peninsula. Her best friend Naomi, and Naomi's dog Charlie, join her as they track and find hunters and lost children. But there is MUCH more to this story.

For the last year Bree has also searched for the missing plane that went down with her husband and four year old son. As she wrestles with her own and her in-laws' desire for closure, she finds it harder to let
Liora
Bree Nichols and her German Shepherd mix dog, Samson, are a Search and Rescue (SAR) team in Rock Harbor, a small town on Lake Superior in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. She has been looking for the small plane that went down with her husband and four year old son for a year. She knows that she needs to let go of the search, accept their deaths, and get on with living, but a part of her just can't stop searching for the missing plane. Then a woman who tells Bree that she saw an airplane seat ne ...more
Mrs. Doglvrs
It's official -- I love everything Colleen Coble writes!
This great thriller, an amazing start to a 4 book series, takes place in the wonderful wilderness that is Michigan's upper peninsula.

Bree & Naomi along with their dogs Samson and Charley are the town of Rock Harbor's personal Search & Rescue team.
The story starts out with them finding 2 lost children, who have been helped by a "witch in the woods" and her son.

As it turns out, Bree's husband and young son have been lost in the same
Krista Bowers-ballington
This was an enjoyable book. Really...it was good. It was simplistic compared to some I have most recently read, so if you want a really easy read....this is a good book for you to grab.
Anne Nelson
Romance novel with murder and proselytizing saved by scenic description and love of animals

Charming main character in a picturesque setting whose personal tragedy wins empathy immediately. Some other characters seem less charming. The plot is sufficient to propel the female readers through the pages. I doubt many male readers will enjoy the romance novel aspects, including the late husband's obviously misconstrued actions regarding an alleged affair. Unsatisfactory to me was the obvious guilty p
Maritza
interesting

I enjoyed the book very much...Bree Nicholls is a search and rescue worker who lost her husband and small son in a plane crash. For a year, she has searched the woods near their town finding no signs of the wreckage. While searching for some lost children, 11 months later she meets Kade Matthews, the forest ranger who is a Christian. She feels an attraction for Kade, but because she has lost her family and blames God for it, she wants nothing to do with believers. Later a murder is co
Jill
Fun suspense story, light reading. Rachel Marks was an intriguing character.
Stephanie
This is the first book of the Rock Harbor series. What I liked most about this book is that it ties in both mystery and faith. Throughout the series you see how Bree's faith develops. The book also contains moments of sadness, grief, happiness, and suspense. I got pulled into the book & characters and never wanted to put the book down. This is what led me to read the rest of this series.
Donna
I really loved this book. It kept me turning the pages waiting for the climactic end. I kept thinking "she's going to find him..."

Great read! I loved the characters, and loved the interaction between then. The story of how Bree searches for her son was touching and I cried at the end.

You'll love it! Can't wait to read the next one.
Erin
I was behind on my Reading Challenge for the year, so I decided to pick an easy read. This book was free off of Barnes and Noble's site, which fit perfectly into my desire to not go to the library.

This book had really great potential to being an addicting read. The storyline was interesting, but how it was executed was painful. It was predictable, cliche and oh so cheesy. I already had part of the book figured out by the first chapter's end. Did I mention that it was super predictable?

It was s
Nupur
This is the keeps-you-hooked story of Bree Nichols, who lost her husband and son in a plane crash, the wreckage of which has not been located in 11 months. Bree, with her search and rescue dog, Samson, spends all her available free time continuing a private search in the forest for the crash site, with the help of her friend Naomi, and her search dog, Charley.

There are some well-thought out and detailed characters, even the minor ones, which keeps you guessing about their intentions, whether the
Jessica
This has to be the best book I've ever read!! I fell in love with the characters, and enjoyed the intrigue of a good mystery, as well as the heartwarming tales of family and friends woven throughout. I am immediately starting book two in the series...so happy that my relationship with these characters doesn't end with this book!
Jessyca Garcia
Without a Trace by Colleen Coble is a book filled with mystery, some romance and just the right amount of religion. I got the book free off of Amazon during one of the promotions. You never know what kind of book you are getting when it is free, but I was pleasantly surprised with this one.

The story follows Bree and her dog Samson who are search and rescue workers. When a murder occurs Bree tries to figure out who did it and who she can trust. On top of all this, Bree is battling with her faith
Elaine
I stayed up way too late last night to finish this book! I had to see how things turned out. This is the first book in the Rock Harbor series and it was very good. I had read "Silent Night" about a month ago and really liked that and so I had read about some of the characters from the series. So I knew how some things turned out. But reading the first book, I still was very anxious to see how the characters had gotten to where they were in "Silent Night". I am so looking forward to reading the o ...more
Tahleen
I like Coble's novels a lot. There is always a great mystery, not always with an easily guessed villain, and a nice little romance to go with it. There is of course the requisite ministering and Christian teachings. This one is no different, and I was glad to find the entire series in an ebook bundle for $5 on bn.com. One minor quibble: I don't believe how easily Bree became a Christian. It seemed to happen way too fast. I know it was so it could be convenient to the plot and Coble's aim in her ...more
Donna
I have a new favorite author! Enjoyed this book of a missing father and son (plane crash) and the wife/mom looking for them. Loved the ending! Looking forward to reading her next book in this series!
Diane
This book kept me guessing right up to the end. Colleen had me on the edge throughout the book, she has a way of drawing you in and making you feel as if you were right there in the story.
Christian Book Gi...: Without a Trace by Coleen Coble 6 13 Nov 28, 2014 07:42AM
  • Evidence of Mercy (Sun Coast Chronicles, #1)
  • When a Heart Stops (Deadly Reunions, #2)
  • Brink of Death (Hidden Faces Series, #1)
  • Life Support (Santee, #1)
USAToday bestselling author Colleen Coble lives with her husband, Dave, in Indiana. She is the author of dozens of novels including the Rock Harbor Series, the Aloha Reef Series, the Mercy Falls Series, the Hope Beach Series, the Lonestar Series and two Women of Faith fiction selections, Alaska Twilight and Midnight Sea. She has more than 2 million books in print.
More about Colleen Coble...

Rock Harbor (5 books)
  • Beyond a Doubt (Rock Harbor Series #2)
  • Into the Deep (Rock Harbor Series #3)
  • Abomination (Rock Harbor Series #4)
  • Cry in the Night (Rock Harbor Series #5)
The Lightkeeper's Daughter (Mercy Falls, #1) Lonestar Sanctuary (Lonestar Series, #1) Blue Moon Promise (Under Texas Stars, #1) Tidewater Inn (Hope Beach, #1) The Lightkeeper's Ball (Mercy Falls, #3)

“Men were as plentiful as salmon, but a best friend was a freshwater pearl.” 0 likes
“I fled Him, down the nights and down the days; I fled Him, down the arches of the years; I fled Him, down the labyrinthine ways Of my own mind; and in the mist of tears. —“The Hound of Heaven” (FRANCIS THOMPSON, 1859–1907)” 0 likes