Start by marking “A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound” as Want to Read:
A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  630 Ratings  ·  45 Reviews
WHEN A YOUNG BOY wakes up in the middle of the night, an unfamiliar sound conjures frightening images in his mind.

Children everywhere can now enjoy John Irving’s story about nighttime uncertainties, A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound. Originally found within Irving’s ninth novel, A Widow for One Year, this atmospheric tale has been brought to life by Tatjana H
Published September 28th 2004 by Doubleday Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Sound Like Someone Trying Not to Make a Sound

Mar 21, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This is one of my favorite childrens books. I learned about it from watching the movie A Door In The Floor with Jeff Bridges...a must see :)
Roy
Apr 09, 2008 Roy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-children
I received this book from Amazon yesterday and promptly read it to my 2-year old daughter who hears several books read aloud each night as part of her go to sleep for the night routine. I'm a big fan of John Irving and loved the idea that he had written a children's book, giving my daughter a chance to become one of his fans as well at quite the young age. She typically makes it very clear which books are among her favorites. Time will tell whether this one gets added to that list, but based on ...more
I like the story as an adult but I wouldn't want to read it to a child before bedtime. I may not want to read it myself before bedtime.

When Tom, who has been awakened by a mysterious noise, tries to tell his father what the creature sounds like, they have the following conversation:
"What does it sound like?" his father asked.
"It sounded like a monster with no arms and no legs, but it was trying to move," Tom said.
"How could it move with no arms and no legs?" his father asked.
"It wriggles," Tom
Amanda
Apr 14, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy Shit!!!! Someone returned this book to the library today. And it is written by John Irving, one of my old favorite fiction writers. My favorite thing about his books were that a bunch of his characters were writers, and I like writers. I am reflecting on the number of writers in my life.... There are a lot!!!!! So the character in the story writes books for his kids, and one of them is "A SOund Like Someone Tryig Not to Make a Sound." I was so dark during those John Irving days. It was arou ...more
Kate
Mar 06, 2014 Kate rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is excerpted from a favourite John Irving book of mine, A Widow for One Year, so I felt I needed to read it. I think the book's a bit dark for children since it doesn't have the typical, reassuring resolution. It's a better book for older children or those who are not unreasonably scared since Tom's description of a hairy monster "with no arms and no legs" was a bit on the gruesome side.
Willy Schuyesmans
Feb 25, 2014 Willy Schuyesmans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Schitterend fragment uit A Widow for One Year waar Ruth het vertelt aan haar broertjes. Met prachtige tekeningen van Tatjana Hauptman.
Tracy
Sep 21, 2013 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I never intended to read this book to my children, but since I am a huge Irving fan my son stumbled on this one day and believed it to be a book from his own shelf. I am a bit surprised at how adamant many readers are about it's appropriateness for children, given the amount of other junk our kids are inadvertently exposed to on a daily basis....
I like its connection to Widow for One Year, and if you have not read that novel it seems like a an average picture book. For whatever reason, possibly
Andrea
Oct 05, 2009 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this book. I was so excited to find out that this story from A Widow for One Year was made into an actual children's book. When I did, I purchased it immediately. There is something wonderful about this story. I love reading it aloud - it has a melodious rhythm. I keep this on my own personal book shelf and not with my young daughter's books. Not sure if this is something I would read to her or not. I think it is more enjoyable for an adult diehard Irving fan, like me, than for a child (c ...more
Lise Offerman
Apr 29, 2016 Lise Offerman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My five year old already has too many nighttime fear issues to read this book, but I loved it! Delicious imagery and language.
Laura Morrigan
May 31, 2012 Laura Morrigan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I love this book but I don't think I'd read it to all kids. I think it would have terrified me as a kid. Which is, of course, why I love it now!

(view spoiler)
Kristine Thorkildsen
I love the fact that he have written a book for kids.
Sophie Roger
Nov 29, 2014 Sophie Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: niña
Très bon livre, mais à ne pas lire avant de se coucher.
Lisa
I liked this one. It is a different kind of children's book, but my kid's were able to understand the joke. Recommend this one.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Interesting. A character in Irving's A Widow for One Year (I think that book is lurking in the TBR somewhere) is a children's author. This story is one that he writes. It has now been brought to life on it's own. A great story. A young boy wakes up after hearing a strange noise- a noise like a dress slipping off it's hanger, or a sounds like someone trying not to make a sound. The classic things that go bump in the night are explained away. The illustrations are dark and foreboding, and probably ...more
Denise Eggleston
Okay, I don't usually read childrens' books, but John Irving wrote this one. I am a long-time fan of Irving and collect first editions of his books(some are worth a lot more than what I paid for them). My husband bought a signed copy of A Sound Like Someone... for me for Christmas. Irving rarely signs now, so this was special. I read it in one sitting and enjoyed it. I guess I am just a kid at heart.
karla_k
Jan 03, 2011 karla_k rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-german, 2010
Dieses Büchlein war ein bezauberndes Geschenk einer lieben Freundin, die meine Vorliebe für John Irving nur zu gut kennt. Diese kleine Geschichte, die Irving-Leser bereits aus Witwe für ein Jahr
kennen, ist toll zum Vorlesen und mit wunderbaren Bildern von Tatjana Hauptmann illustriert. Ein Vergnügen nicht nur für die Kleinen.
Tracy
Jul 28, 2011 Tracy rated it really liked it
Well I loved Widow for One Year. I used to pretend to be the thing that hid in the door in the floor and scare my daughter. I am sure I scared her for life but she loves this book and so do I. I was hoping that he would make a children's book. You would have to read the novel to fully understand this book. So great!
Purl Scout
Feb 16, 2009 Purl Scout rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
such a beautiful story. the story haunted me for a long time after reading it in irving's "a widow for one year" but i'm not a fan of the illustrations in this book. i'd love to see it illustrated more along the lines of work by anders brekhus nilsen. darker, more ethereal.
Janice
i'd be interested in reading this, though i was sad to see that this is the title of one of the books in "widow for one year," but the plot of another. i'd actually be more interested in reading the book described under this title in the longer novel. but, eh.
Mary
Mar 06, 2012 Mary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is definitely one of my favorite bedtime stories ever written. True to form, Irving delivers an interesting story, quickly develops characters, and leaves you wanting more. The illustrations alone are worth checking this book out. Highly recommend!
Amy
Nov 05, 2014 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John Irving is the best of the best. I had to have this book, I read it as soon as I got it, yep, at the post office. Love this story. I will read it to my granddaughters, repeatedly. Love it!
Carol
Aug 07, 2012 Carol rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really wonderful! I couldn't believe when I saw this available and I'm so glad more people have been introduced to Mr. Irving from something like this. One of my all time favorite lines, too.
Peggy
Jul 21, 2010 Peggy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A children's picture book written by John Irving but first introduced in his book Widow for One Year by character Ted Cole as he tells this story to his five-year-old daughter Ruth.
Beth
May 12, 2009 Beth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I love that Irving wrote this book. My kids like it because it's a cool book; I like it because I feel like it's an inside joke, in way, that Irving wrote this really for his adult fans.
Ashley Adams
In tribute to one of his characters, Irving challenges himself in the art of the children's story. Cute. And appropriate to read to actual children (unlike most Irving).
Kimberlee
Aug 09, 2015 Kimberlee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had such high hopes for this book..loved Widow For One Year. This book is creepy and would give adults nightmares...I wouldn't read it to a child. So disappointed.
Shaundra
This book shows how a child's imagination at night can turn the house into a very scary place. It was written well and the illustrations really added to the story.
Alison
Dec 11, 2009 Alison rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Although I loved that this book materialized out of his novel onto our local bookshelves, I don't think this should actually be read to children.
Jane
I wish I'd known about this book when my boy was a little younger. He's at that age now where if it's not a "chapter book" he's not so interested.
  • The Story Blanket
  • There's Going to Be a Baby
  • There's Nothing to Do on Mars
  • Where Is Tippy Toes?
  • Statistics for People Who (Think They) Hate Statistics
  • A Frog Thing (with Audio CD)
  • Honk Honk! Beep Beep!
  • The Missing Mitten Mystery
  • Sneeze, Big Bear, Sneeze!
  • Will I Have a Friend?
  • The Day It Rained Hearts
JOHN IRVING was born in Exeter, New Hampshire, in 1942. His first novel, Setting Free the Bears, was published in 1968, when he was twenty-six. He competed as a wrestler for twenty years, and coached wrestling until he was forty-seven.
Mr. Irving has been nominated for a National Book Award three times—winning once, in 1980, for his novel The World According to Garp. He received an O. Henry Award
More about John Irving...