Water Dogs Water Dogs Water Dogs

Water Dogs Water Dogs Water Dogs

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  113 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Lewis Robinson's critically acclaimed story collection Officer Friendly was described by the "San Francisco Chronicle" as "eleven letter-perfect stories with the keen understanding of human nature readers expect to find in works by veterans like Alice Munro." Now Robinson has written Water Dogs, a suspenseful, disquieting, and compulsively readable first novel that takes a...more
Published January 13th 2009 by Random House (first published December 29th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Water Dogs Water Dogs Water Dogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Water Dogs Water Dogs Water Dogs

Kate
dear NY Times, i disagree.
Jeanne
Feb 05, 2009 Jeanne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jeanne by: NYT
A bleak, snowy, small town in Maine sets the stage for our story. Bennie is a gentle 27-year-old college dropout who lives with his older brother, Littlefield, in the family's once grand, but now deteriorating home. Neither have amounted to much and have accepted their status as townies (water dogs).

The guys engage in intense weekly paintball games with their friend Julian and three fishermen. No matter the season, paintball is played. It has become a release for Bennie and Littlefield, though...more
Lisa
I enjoyed this book. Yes, it was a little spare, slow and dark, but I live on an island in Maine and thats what winters are like up here. I loved the way he weaved paintball into the story: they game, the implications, pros and cons. I found it to be a genuine book about Maine too. There is so much out there that is written about or set in Maine that just uses the rocks and trees as a backdrop and nothing else. Stereotypical "ayuh" characters too. Water Dogs really digs into the essence of peopl...more
Corny
If you have a love for novels of rural Maine, this will be right up your alley. The author deals with a bunch of lost characters with unrealized dreams, living on an island near Portland during a typical Maine winter. Replete with flashbacks, the novel follows the lives of the three twenty something siblings who have never managed to find themselves since the premature death of their father, called "Coach." The novel cuts back and forth between the present and the better times of the past.
I enj...more
Larry Olson
Water Dogs is the latest book by author Lewis Robinson. I read Officer Friendly years ago and was thrilled to see something new by him at Posman Books. The story centers on the relationship between two brothers, Bennie and Littlefield whom are both tormented by their past and working through their issues while the women in the novel offer the voice of reason. I loved the characters and like Officer Friendly, perfectly depicts the various walks of life in Maine. As Bennie recovers from an acciden...more
Pia
Thank you, Curtis Sittenfeld, for recommending this book to me. I hadn't heard of the writer nor the book, but this was one of those stories that pulled me in and made me feel cold and estranged, in a bizarrely good manner, just like The Lovers by Vendela Vida, one of my favorite books of all time. Lewis Robinson had clearly plotted this book out sparingly and thoughtfully and I aspire to his story telling abilities. Can't wait to enjoy his short stories too.
Beth
Excellent. Reading Water Dogs was like being in an encapsulated world. Very atmospheric, I could feel the cold coming right off the page and not just because I'm living in Maine and it's winter.
Characters are interesting, not at all predictable, they are at times among other things likeable, frustrating, tender, funny and very real.
Get a copy. Read it!
Linda
Disharmony, distrust, unresolved family issues, and undeserved loyalty among grown siblings surface after two brothers run into trouble that may be deeper than they can dig their way out of after a tragedy in a not-so-playful paintball game in a blinding blizzard. An engrossing novel with compelling characters that stayed with me long after the end.
Sheela
I really liked this book. It was moving along (but sometimes not fast enough. The details of the setting, characters, etc somewhat dragged the story). The novel was set in a beautiful landscape in Maine, and it was about a unique relationship between two brothers. I loved the Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins references!
Tom
I burned through Water Dogs in one sitting on a cold winter day. Robinson’s writing is straightforward and honest, and his descriptions of places and people in southern and midcoast Maine are true to life. The story is the thing, though. And this story pulled me along like bait at the end of a trawl line.
Alison
I read this less then a week ago and can hardley remember much about it. Set in Maine, lots of snow, a missing person. The writing was good but it was missing something that I can't put my finger on maybe cause I can barely remember.
Elise
Robinson took a sharp knife and removed every unnecessary word from this novel. The spareness perfectly suits the setting, characters, and mystery at the heart of the novel. Not exactly a cheery read but a great one nonetheless.
Susan
Just finished this. It is adreamy novel about a group of friends/family in small island town in Maine in the dark, snowy winter. Beautifully written; slow but steady as a snowstorm. Great characters, and a compelling story.
Sashi Kaufman
I'm not sure if you have to live in Maine to fully appreciate this one, but I really enjoyed the characters and the story-telling in this relatively short but suspenseful and carefully paced novel.
Maicie
A group of young men get involved in a paintball game during a snowstorm. One turns up missing.

The ending was a bit of a surprise.

Not bad, not great. Worth reading once.
Diane
Jacket promises more suspense and mystery than the plot delivers. The author "tells" more than he "shows," if you know what I mean, especially in the last third of the book.
Karen
Completely entertaining--I read it in two nights. Some of the characters were a little unbelievable and not fleshed out but overall very fun read.
Strawfoot
Really more like 3 1/2. I enjoyed this book and could really relate to the endless wintry details right now. It wasn't spectacular but solid.
Jim
A great Maine book. Wonderful atmosphere. Robinson does winter like nobody else, using it here for sinister effect. Good characters we all recognize.
Liz
I liked the Maine/New England setting and it was actually a pretty good story too.
Medicmardi
A good book to curl up with and disappear into another place.
Jesse
This author is my hero.
Janet
Aug 07, 2011 Janet marked it as to-read
Recommended to Janet by: Globe
Shelves: new-england
Maine
Mark Kennedy
Mark Kennedy marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2014
Mommyk8
Mommyk8 marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Calls
Calls marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
Officer Friendly: and Other Stories Der Taucher und andere Geschichten aus Maine Historias de Maine The Ghetto Survival Guide for Blacks and Latinos Officer Friendly and Other Stories

“The water was a full unknowable world.” 0 likes