Start by marking “Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue” as Want to Read:
Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue

Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue

3.08 of 5 stars 3.08  ·  rating details  ·  165 ratings  ·  29 reviews
In his eagerly awaited debut novel, critically acclaimed author Mark Kurlansky entertains readers with a brilliant story bursting with the vivid events and culinary delights–even recipes–that made bestsellers out of his nonfiction works Cod, Salt, and 1968.

Nathan woke up on a Friday morning with the unshakable sense that during this day he would commit a catastrophic error
Published March 29th 2005 by Ballantine Books (first published January 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue

Dave
Mar 20, 2007 Dave rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
An excellent story about a NYC neighborhood and the characters that inhabit it.

The thing w/ this book is you don't feel like you're reading the author's story. Nick Kurlansky has succeeded in completely removing his voice from the pages, a feat I have rarely encountered in works of fiction and one that makes the book eminently enjoyable.

Kurlansky has wonderful knack for characterizing each individual in this story w/ unique dialog and language - impressive considering it takes place in Lower Man
Mom
Set in the 1980's , the story follows the everyday lives of a divergent group of residents in a neighborhood of NYC's Lower East Side. Populated by Jewish immigrants from Germany, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans, Italians and a few urban pioneers riding the first wave of gentrification, the daily lives are much the same for each group. All are aspiring to make a better life and feel others are hindering them. Chow Mein Vega, a former boogaloo star continues to perform. Felix, a former Dominican drug d ...more
Alex Goodison
Set in the Lower East Side of New York City in the 1980’s, Boogaloo on 2nd Avenue upon first encounter seems like your stereotypical “ethnic” story - You have your immigrant Germans, Jews, Puerto Ricans, Dominicans pretending to be Puerto Ricans and those who desperately want the neighbourhood to be ‘up-and-coming’ – and In reality that’s pretty much the whole story. Not much more to it. But it’s these overemphasized stereotypes that makes the book so quirky and warm. I found the beginning sligh ...more
Lois
I'll never know personally what New York, and in particular the Lower East Side, was like in the late 1980s, so I found this book interesting in how it conveyed this time and place. The motley cast of characters could get a bit exhausting, although that's a fairly accurate representation of New York.
Adam Gross
Often entertaining, but bogs down in too many characters. Picked it up because I grew up in same area in which the book takes place. I wonder if it's more or less interesting if you don't know the neighborhood well.
Mike
Boogaloo attracted me almost solely based on its title. Then I peeked at the blurb and discovered it took place in the East Village during the late 80's. The first 75 pages or so drag the hell on as they introduce an assload of characters that live in the neighborhood and therefore make up the fabric of the book. The main character is a more-or-less lapsed Jew named Nathan that owns a small copy shop and is having a semi-midlife crisis. The book picks up after everyone is introduced and they sta ...more
Bayneeta
This is a book my mother would have described as "too ethnic." Late eighties in the lower East side of New York. Jews, Germans, and Puerto Ricans (and Dominicans trying to pass as Puerto Ricans), and yuppies hoping to see the neighborhood become upwardly mobile are just a few of the groups living in the community. Nathan is married and the father of a precocious young daughter, but is obsessed with the daughter of the local German baker (was he a Nazi?)who always smells enticingly of butter. Sex ...more
Kate
This was an accidental read but one I am sure glad I undertook. Set in a fictional Lower East Side of NYC in the 1980's, with Michael Dekakis running for President against George Bush, the story centers on a collection of Jewish, Puerto Rican and Dominican residents. Central to the story is music, in particular boogaloo, pastures, mistaken Nazi identity, sex and mouth-watering descriptions of pastries, and a few murders thrown in for good measure. If you are Jewish you will appreciate the humor ...more
Krista
I think I made it to Chapter 7, 8 maybe. Ok, Mark. I get it...it's a neighborhood full of Jews, Latinos, etc. You don't have to tell us in EVERY chapter that these characters are Jewish...then the next chapter they are Latino, Italian, whatever. It's a bit overloaded with ethnic references, as if he didn't think the reader could figure that out by themselves. Maybe the author did this because he had soooooooo many characters! I found this book, what little I read of it, to be EXHAUSTING.
Christina
Aug 25, 2007 Christina rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: LESers
I was disappointed to see Kurlansky fall on his face in a first fiction fumble. It's a good subject, though. A diverse community of Jews, Italians, Hispanics, white Yuppies and the rich Asians, all resisting each other, and living together in the 1980s Lower East Side. There are some memorable moments of history within, but all in all, It's a most confusing novelization. Worth reading once, just to glean the highlights of the time.
Jenshaines
A wonderful glimpse into the messy neighborhoods of NYC in the 80s. I KNEW these characters growing up. It's great fun, if not very deep. Kurlansky draws us in with a collection of colorful characters and a lot of wink wink jokes for those in the know of that time and place. He tries to add in a dark secret at the end, and I think that part falls very flat - take it for what it's worth, which is FUN.
Roman Sonnleitner
An enjoyable read - sure, you can clearly see (in plot development & language) that Kurlansky is not a ficiton writer, and the best-written passages are the cooking scenes (the author's literary roots showing there...) - but it's a fun story, mostly likeable characters & interesting setting; not bad at all for a first novel.
Egm
Listened to this book on tape and just found it completely uncompelling. Did not keep my attention at all and thought about not even finishing it. Didn't feel for or care about the characters or the story at all.
veronica
Mar 14, 2008 veronica marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: half-read
I got this from the library and enjoyed what I read of it, but drifted away from it. Keep meaning to check it out again to read the rest. But it was just what I wanted: a novel with a food-related bent.
Dan
Listened to the audio book version on a trip out to the mountains back in 2005 and greatly enjoyed this debut novel by Kurlansky (author of the nonfiction works 'Cod' and 'Salt').
Karima
Quite a jumble of characters. If you love New York City and enjoy food and ethnicity (which I do) you'll enjoy this book, but I got bogged down with all the (stereotyped) characters.
Nikki
Remarkably fun and enjoyable book. Not an earth-mover, but a story whose quirky details and gentle themes have stuck with me for years. Entirely worth reading.
Christina
I wanted to like this but it was shallow with unlikable characters. The recipe for Rigo Jancsi and the passages involving cooking are the saving graces.
Rosamund
A clever, sometimes witty play on ethnic stereotypes in in New York. However there were too many characters so I got confused, and really... there was no plot.
Laila
I really enjoyed Kurlansky's non-fiction. He should probably stick to that and leave fiction alone.
Erika
This was too scratched up to finish. I got about a third of the way through and I liked what I heard.
Michelle
Picked up this book due to the colorful interesting cover. I wasn't impressed by the story.
Sheryl
This was a super fun book to listen to. I learned lots about NYC and jewish food.
Mollie *scoutrmom*
Oct 14, 2012 Mollie *scoutrmom* rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Jewish New Yorkers
Meh.

Mom said, "Too New York-y". I didn't see anything approaching a plot.
Betty
I just couldn't get into it... I wish he had stuck with Cod.
David Kresner
A brisk read. A sort of downtown Bonfire of the Vanities.
This was a quick, witty read.
Anne
May 22, 2007 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who need a good laugh
This book was hilarious!
  • The Ring of Brightest Angels Around Heaven: A Novella and Stories
  • Brothers Emanuel: A Memoir of an American Family
  • I Said Yes to Everything: A Memoir
  • To See You Again: A True Story of Love in a Time of War
  • Ambush of the Mountain Man (Mountain Man, #31)
  • The Gnole
  • The Piano
  • Transit
  • De Movo Tapes
  • Modermismen (Modermismen, #1)
  • Beardance
  • Pipe Dream (Strivers Row)
  • We Are What We Pretend To Be: The First and Last Works
Mark Kurlansky (born 7 December 1948 in Hartford, Connecticut) is a highly-acclaimed American journalist and writer of general interest non-fiction. He is especially known for titles on eclectic topics, such as cod or salt.

Kurlansky attended Butler University, where he harbored an early interest in theatre and earned a BA in 1970. However, his interest faded and he began to work as a journalist in
More about Mark Kurlansky...
Salt: A World History Cod: A Biography of the Fish that Changed the World The Big Oyster: History on the Half Shell The Basque History of the World: The Story of a Nation The Food of a Younger Land: The WPA's Portrait of Food in Pre-World War II America