Start by marking “Impian Seorang Balerina (Sadler's Wells, #1)” as Want to Read:
Impian Seorang Balerina (Sadler's Wells, #1)

Impian Seorang Balerina (Sadler's Wells #1)

Ketika kemalangan menimpanya, akan hancurkah juga impiannya untuk selama-lamanya?

Karena kematian ayahnya, Veronica Weston yang berumur 14 sekonyong-konyong seperti dicabut dari kehidupannya di London dan juga dari pelajaran balet yang sangat digandrunginya. Masa depan kehidupannya di tempatnya yang baru di bagian utara Inggris tampaknya membuat impiannya untuk menjadi pena
Paperback
Published 1993 by Gramedia (first published 1950)

To ask other readers questions about Impian Seorang Balerina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Impian Seorang Balerina

Melissa
Apr 03, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lorna Hill's Sadler's Wells series were my favourite childhood reads and I'd campaign to have them brought back into print if I thought anyone at all shared my passion for reading about ballet in 1950's London and life in Northumberland. Veronica and Sebastian are possibly one of my favourite fictional couples.
Louise Armstrong
Hello to an old friend. I can see why I used to love these books - it's all about a girl escaping to a place where she can be free to work at something beautiful.

Of course it's a vanished world (50s), but, despite some stereotypical working-class characters, I still found the values good - it's not money that matters, it's culture. Fame is something to be endured as a byproduct of creating beauty, not a goal. It doesn't matter what people look like - it's their characters that are important.

Als
Adele
Sep 13, 2015 Adele rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read and re-read all the Sadlers Wells books. If there was one thing I loved more than ballet it was reading.
Ririn
May 19, 2009 Ririn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I'm still in love with Sebastian until noooooooow....
oh my childhood...........
Felicity
Dec 28, 2014 Felicity rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this for Christmas and I'm so glad I asked for it. Veronica is training to be a ballet dancer in London but her father dies and she has to move to the North to live with her remaining relatives which means she is taken away from her dance classes and has to put up with her mean cousin Fiona. On the plus side Veronica learns to appreciate the countryside and her cousins Caroline and Sebastian are much nicer than Fiona. She also learns to stand on her own two feet and grows stronger.

I am a b
LH Johnson
I have a lot of love for Lorna Hill. Yep the later ones in the series get a bit pedestrian, and yes the likelihood of one remote North-Eastern town producing a kazillion prima ballerinas does get a little tenuous. But this is the first in the series and possesses a fresh vivacious charm of its own. Veronica is a brilliant heroine; tempestuous, charismatic and vividly drawn.

And then there's Sebastian .... ;)
CLM
Forced to live with her cousins at the back of beyond in Northumberland, orphaned Veronica, an aspiring ballerina, longs to return to London to study ballet at Sadler's Wells. Can she make her dream come true? And how do her cousins Fiona and Caroline, and their mysterious cousin Sebastian fit into her plans? Will they aid or impede her?
Ana
Nov 10, 2014 Ana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My absolutely favourite book when I was a little girl.
Pamela
Jan 17, 2008 Pamela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Saya penggemar seni ballet walaupun saya bukan penari ballet. Jadi sewaktu saya menemukan buku ini yang bergambar seorang penari sedang mendekap sepatu balletnya langsung saya beli. Awalnya agak kecewa karena alur cerita berjalan lambat dan Veronica sang tokoh utama, tak kunjung menjadi penari. Tapi kemudian saya malah ketagihan membacanya.

Yang paling menarik dari buku ini justru menurut saya bukan dari segi tarian ballet itu sendiri. Melainkan bagaimana si pengarang menggambarkan detail kota Lo
Speakercoret
ditemuin ma yudha pas ngubek2 tobuk bekas setelah selesai piknik di taman kota BSD..
stelah dikasihin ke gw, yudha baru mikir, dia belum punya kenapa jg ngasih ke gw hihihihi.... makasih ya yud, muaaaaaaaah :p

----------------------------------------------------------------

kisah ini dimulai saat veronica harus pindah dr london ke northumberland setelah ayahnya meninggal dunia..
dikereta menuju northumberland dia bertemu anak laki2, dan mereka berdua saling menceritakan impian2 rahasia mereka, karen
Deborah
Oct 09, 2014 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I only read the first four Sadlers Wells books as a child - but when I was about 16 I discovered a copy of Swan Feather in the library and so found that there were lots of books by Lorna Hill.

This is the first, and it still appeals. Narrated by Veronica, and capturing exactly the style of a teenage girl, it's a good story, and (commendably) skips out the boring bits, so there aren't any (the first chapter of part two is called 'One year later', and what matters from that year is covered in a few
Abbey Wellick
Mar 15, 2009 Abbey Wellick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Veronica is a kind, generous, naive, spontaneous, intelligent, emotional girl with incredible passion. She lives to dance and anything that might stop her is a genuine tragedy. She is constantly up in the heights or down in the depths and her narrative convinces you that these things really are of the utmost importance.

As for the other characters - Caroline is lovely, Fiona is beautifully nasty - I don't think she ever says a positive word! As for Sebastian... arrogant, masterful and intolerant
Tina
Aug 25, 2015 Tina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Joj saj vem da je otročje ampak ta knjiga mi je bila vedno všeč in ravno sem jo ponovno prebrala. Moram reči, da sem bila kar presenečena nad tem, kako dobro je v resnici napisana. Nič dih jemajočega ali literarno osupljivega, ampak res dobro, opisi so zelo slikoviti in prepričljivi, karakterji pa živi in zabavni. Revščina, bogastvo, prijaznost, napuh, pustolovščine, balet - polno vsega tega. Ne morem si pomagati, da ne bi bila očarana in da se ne bi zabavala ob Sebastijanovih šalah, se zgražala ...more
Janis
Dec 03, 2013 Janis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have almost finished this series, which I should have read as a teenager, if I had known of it's existence...I had taken ballet classes at a young age and loved them so this brought back those years to life..the books are fresh and lovely, geared to teens from about age 15 and up, but still entertaining for adults...the first and second books were my favourites, but I actually enjoyed them all...
Kerri Turner
I was a big fan of Lorna Hill's Sadler's Wells series as a child (and someone who spent many years training to be a ballerina). That's probably why these books hold such a large part of my heart - not only do I love the topic (ballet! The wilds of Northumberland! Overcoming obstacles to follow your dream!), but they make me nostalgic every time I open one. These will be favourites I'll hold on to forever, and read again and again.
Geraldine
In terms of a children's book, it has a great story but it is very old and the language really dated which i liked (this is how children spoke in books when i was growing up and I thought it was how i should jolly well talk :-))
In terms of would I let my daughter read this book - only with lots of discussion and guidance - it's like chick lit for little girls (altho the concept wasn't around when Lorna Hill was writing).
Annisa Hartoto
Aug 26, 2012 Annisa Hartoto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
First read it when I was in elementary school, and it made me fall in love with series. This book made me want to have a boyfriend like Sebastian. Witty and musically-talented. I found the almost-complete series of the Sadler's Wells book in a vintage bookstore almost 20 years later, but the latter books cannot surpass the first two books. Too bad a friend lost my first book of the series in junior high. Would anybody suggest where I can get it here in Indonesia? I would love to read it again!
Claire Reed
Feb 24, 2015 Claire Reed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens
This was one of my favourite childhood/teenage books. I got it handed down from my older cousin, I would love to know if it is still in print as I'd like my daughters to read it. I don't know what happened to my copy. It's an absolute classic and it should be much more well known as a mainstay of teen literature.
Hilda Prabandini
Sep 06, 2011 Hilda Prabandini rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ida prahasti darmadi
dulu minjem punya kakak ;D
tapi dulu bacanya yang versi bahasa indonesia.. yang covernya beda
kisah panjang perjuangan seorang balerina yang berusaha mewujudkan impiannya untuk menjadi tokoh utama dalam sebuah pentas balet.
rating ini diberikan berdasarkan persepsi saya sekitar 8 tahun yang lalu, mungkin kalo baca sekarang rasanya udah beda.
cukup berkesan.
Mamie
Feb 12, 2016 Mamie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sweet book from a wonderful era! It reminded me of my childhood and the wonders of the imagination and playing outside. It also reminded me of The Secret Garden and makes me want to go see England and a ballet at the Covent Garden.
Sally
I never really cared for the Sadler's Wells series, which is odd considering what a ballet nut I was. But this one was okay. (The Drina series is by far better though.)
Nov 18, 2008 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love the way the men in these books are always so masterful and witty, and all the women a bit sort of naive and passionately idealistic, to the point where they're always getting into heroic but silly scrapes that the men have to come and rescue them from.
Elizabeth
Apr 10, 2009 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Ballet Book Fans
Shelves: balletbooks, england
Cute, but slightly preposterous tale of an English girl who would like to become a ballet student in the 1950s.
Jewels
Dec 19, 2014 Jewels rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A re-read of one of my favourite childhood books - I'm delighted to say I enjoyed it just as much this time :)
Catherine
Mar 23, 2013 Catherine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I wish there were more books about ballet like this! Absolutely a young dancers dream to be this character.
Jo Collins
Jo Collins rated it liked it
Apr 24, 2014
Allyria Night
Allyria Night rated it liked it
Jul 29, 2015
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2008
Judy
Judy rated it liked it
Apr 02, 2015
Jasmine Zhang
Jasmine Zhang rated it it was amazing
Feb 12, 2017
  • Drina Dances in Switzerland (Drina, #9)
  • Summer Term at the Chalet School (The Chalet School, #58)
  • Ballet Shoes for Anna
  • A Very Young Dancer
Hill attended school in Durham and then went to Le Manoir in Lausanne, on the shores of Lake Geneva, Switzerland. She obtained a BA at Durham University, and there met her husband, a clergyman. They moved to the remote parish of Matfen, Northumberland, where she played the organ in church and ran a Sunday school.

Hill's career as an author began when her daughter Vicki, then about ten years old, fo
More about Lorna Hill...

Sadler's Wells (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Veronica at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #2)
  • No Castanets at the Wells (Sadlers Wells, #3)
  • Masquerade at the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #4)
  • Jane Leaves the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #5)
  • Ella at the Wells (Sadler's Wells #6)
  • Return To The Wells (Sadler's Wells, #7)
  • Rosanna Joins the Wells (Sadler's Wells, #8)
  • Principal Role (Sadler's Wells, #9)
  • Swan Feather (Sadler's Wells, #10)
  • Dress Rehearsal (Sadler's Wells #11)