Start by marking “Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)” as Want to Read:
Ceremony in Death (In Death, #5)

Ceremony in Death (In Death #5)

4.26  ·  Rating Details ·  28,356 Ratings  ·  927 Reviews
Ceremony in Death
Mass Market Paperback, 310 pages
Published May 28th 1997 by Berkley (first published May 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Ceremony in Death, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ceremony in Death

Jilly
Jul 02, 2016 Jilly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one was fun, but I think I might have done a little bit of laughing for the wrong reasons. You see, Eve is supposed to be the very best cop in homicide and yet she ALWAYS - in every book - arrests or detains the wrong person at some point. And, she OFTEN gets rescued by her billionaire husband, Roarke-not-a-cop. But, I love the series anyway. Usually because of Roarke. He is the Irish Cream in my coffee.

maybeeeee....

(okay, if my husband sees this, I am denying everything. I will say I wrote
♥Sharon♥
Dec 08, 2016 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

She hasn’t let me down yet. Another great addition to this series. I will say the murder theme was intriguing but it was a tad bit gruesome.

While I would LOVE more time where Roarke and Eve are together I am finding that it doesn’t much matter anymore. JD Robb can write some pretty intense, hot and sexy scenes when they are and I get my fill.

In the midst of all the crazy shit that goes on in Eve’s life as she tracks down the murderers, Roarke places himself in the middle as her silent (well so
Duchess Nicole
I think that this is my favorite of the series so far. I mean, there wasn't anything wholly new other than the fact that Roarke played more than a token lover/husband role in this one....the man gets to show his protective side in a major way. You know how he's always toning Eve down, bringing her back down to earth with his sexy little Irish yumminess? Welp, he loses control here. There's NOTHING hotter than when Mr. Control loses said control in the bedroom. Nothing.

And after giving Eve someth
Mo
May 02, 2015 Mo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another solid read. I love these two, Roarke and Eve - although maybe their "together" time is few and far between. Would like some more sexy times for the two of them

I dip in every so often. I reckon if I read one a year I might be finished the series by the time I am 95!!

The abused child from the mean streets of Dublin had done what he'd needed to do to survive.

Phrynne
Jul 14, 2012 Phrynne rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As far as I am concerned J.D. Robb can do no wrong and this particular book is one of my special favourites. Peabody and Eve are developing their beautiful relationship and their dialogue is brilliant. Roarke and Eve continue to be very much in love and also have some delightful interchanges. The police work is good, the element of mystery is always present and the ending is exciting and a bit scary. Oh and of course the author makes us reach for the tissue box with some tear jerking moments. Di ...more
Felicia
Jan 10, 2009 Felicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I love this series so much. Sometimes the plots get so ridiculous that I laugh out loud, and yet the characters are so great, the rapport so wonderful, I can't help but want to take the ride with them, wherever it goes.
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
I love the emotional ups and downs is this book. Roarke and Eve are a great couple but also love how they protect each with even thinking of it. It's what comes natural to each of them. As much as Eve tries to believe that she doesn't have a family, she actually does with Roarke, Mavis, Feeney, Peabody, Mira and Nadine. Meeting Roarke the sweet talking Irish love who by the way still keeps the button in his pocket and now has added the IOU is the best thing that's ever happen to Eve and I believ ...more
Lauren
Ceremony in Death
4 Stars

Homicide Lieutenant Eve Dallas is forced to put aside her personal loyalties when she investigates the suspicious death of a fellow officer. When several other victims die in horrific circumstances, Eve finds herself embroiled in a conflict between opposing forces of good and evil that eventually leads her to a confrontation that may force her to play the ultimate price…

The best installment so far both in terms of the investigation and the character development.

The dichot
Carolyn
Jun 13, 2015 Carolyn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime, mystery

I'm really enjoying this series now and getting to know the main characters - Eve, Peabody, Roarke, Mavis and Feeney and how they will behave and react. This might sound as if the books could become a bit predictable but they're not at all. Robb manages to keep the stories fresh and introduces enough new elements to keep us interested and wanting to keep dipping into Eve's life.

In this episode Eve is investigating what looks like the natural death of a fellow police colleague when his granddaug
Catherine
I've jumped back into this series after taking a little break. I didn't want to accidentally exhaust the series for myself. It was great getting back into Eve's world! I'm listening to this series in audiobook, because I've found that this narrator makes this world come alive for me. If you are interested in giving audiobooks a try or you're looking for a new audiobook, I recommend this series. The narrator rocks! Especially when she does Roarke's voice. Am I supposed to find a female imitating ...more
Lisa Kay
★★★★★ This series just keeps getting better. Susan Ericksen is an excellent narrator and has developed the tone in the characters voices to perfection. She is so talented she can do Officer (Delia) Peabody with a cold, LOL! This one is about witches – both good and evil. And Captain (Ryan) Feeney and Homicide Detective Eve Dallas get into a doozey of a falling out. Can the relationship be mended? By the way, this one is Halloween Perfect, as they attend a Halloween Party in costume.
Lisazj1
4.5 stars, and I loved it! Can never get enough of Eve and Roarke, and all the rest as well! <3
Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)

Robb can weave such great stories and CEREMONY IN DEATH is another great installment to this series. It seems that anything she writes is gold. What’s great about this series is that she is able to keep things fresh but still familiar.

Lieutenant Dallas has a case involving the death of a fellow police officer. More and more clues point the finger at Selina Cross, a crazy Satanic worshiper who participates in dark rituals. While the whole Wicca and Satanic
Kati
Apr 05, 2015 Kati rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, mystery, in-czech, 2015
Tilly Slaton
As much as I appreciate a good paranormal book, this book left me suffering.

Surrounded by witches, good and evil, Eve betrays a dear friend and puts the job first.

This book really hits home with Eve. A suspect is the son of a serious psycho serial killer and rapist who worshipped satan. The father raped and beat his own son. Blinded by her emotions, Eve wishes and hopes that the man is innocent, even if all of the evidence points his way.

Ritual killings, orgies and the mysterious unknown witchcr
rameau
Earlier I remarked that in the previous book—Kuoleman hurmio or Rapture in Death—Doctor Mira seemed out of character. Well, in this one, it’s Eve Dallas herself that steps out of character. Or that’s how I felt.

From the start of the In Death series Eve has always trusted her instincts and her dark, painful past has been a source of compassion that’s allowed her to do her job more effectively than others. Not here. Here, she utterly wrecks a suspect in the interrogation room and others complimen
Susan (susayq ~)
Hmmm. I'm just not sure what to say about this one. I was equal parts disturbed and delighted while reading this. There seemed to be whole lot of blood and gore in this. Of course it did involve Satanic rituals and murder. Eve disappointed me. Greatly. She knew who the murderer was, yet mid-investigation she changed focus and started hounding someone else. Her reasoning for believing he was capable was that his father was a killer. Really, Eve? Does that mean Eve is capable of what her father di ...more
Kathy Davie
First read 9 April 2010, 3 October 2010, 1 February 2011, and again 11 August 2015.

The otherworldly aspect of Ceremony in Death introduces a new future character and forces Eve to become more familiar with a colleague's family.

Whew, it's a terrifying unrolling of a Satanic cult that preys on its members. Its leaders revel in deception, blood, and death. And screwing around with Dallas.

One of the things I was curious about was the interaction between Eve and Roarke. Later stories seemed to be mis
Anastasia
Aug 28, 2015 Anastasia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ceremony In Death by J.D. Robb is the 5th book in the In Death series. The death of a long serving police officer and then of his granddaughter sees Eve investigating several witch cults both of the dark and white variety. Another terrific read in this highly addictive series. I love the characters and their interactions as well as the futuristic setting. Eves and Rourkes relationship and romance just keeps getting better and better.
Zoey
Another great installment in the series. This time with Eve investigating the supernatural world of Wiccans & Devil worshipers
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Read May 2014

Re-read Sept. 2016
Feb 10, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Shelves: garbage
When I read the first In Death book, I was optimistic, and thought that Nora Roberts could potentially turn it into a pretty good series. After five books I realize that I was wrong. Eve Dallas, Roarke, Summerset, Mavis and literally every other character in this series is a straight up cliché, with Eve and Roarke's dark and tormented pasts being so overdone in fiction that it almost makes my teeth hurt. As do the numerous stereotypes pertaining to Roarke's Irish background. As somebody who was ...more
Sara ♥
March 31-April 1, 2016

3.5 stars, but I kinda have to disagree with myself on this one. It was clear who ONE of the bad guys was, but this one was tricky! It sorta seemed like there were bad guys everywhere you looked! I think my favorite part is the Eve/Feeney stuff. EMOTIONAL!!! I cried, not gonna lie. And on my 5th+ time reading it!!! I thought I remembered the ending being ... I dunno... LONGER. But it wraps up a bit too quickly, I thought.

September 29-October 1, 2014

February 1-2, 2012

May 5-8
Ariana Fae
May 14, 2016 Ariana Fae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I don’t know how J.D Robb keeps her In Death series and characters so fresh and entertaining. The more I read about Eve, Rourke, Peabody and the rest of the cast, the more I feel bonded with them, that’s if you can bond with fictional characters. I enjoy how Robb masterfully mixes action, suspense, romance and sci-fi into a story that draws me in. I also love how the characters evolve and how their relationships with one another deepen with each book.

Ceremony in Death’s mystery revolved on a sub
☆.。.:*・°☆Love2Read♡HEAs☆.。.:*・°☆ {Anne}
Rated 4.8 "EVIL" Stars

I was excited when I read the blurb on this. Dealing with the Occult. I thought eewwww, sounds creepy & scary as hell but I'm still morbidly curious.

Well, I got lots of answers to questions I had and then some. Funny, I built it up in my head so much that I was actually a little disappointed that it wasn't more supernatural. I know, not J.D. Robb's forte.

Lots of spine tingling suspense, action thrilled moments to experience. It was definitely pure evil performing these
Aya
Oct 02, 2015 Aya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, mystery
In Death: 5 (reread)
Set less than a month after the previous book. This one is not so much a mystery story, as Eve has a good idea of which of the possible suspects is the most guilty. She just has to prove it while navigating the line between duty and loyalty. The relationship between Eve and Roarke continues to grow and strengthen. I'm glad the author didn't take the cheat of throwing trumped up romantic woes for unnecessary drama. I also like how the author manages to develop Eve's various re
Jul 31, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Solid installment to the series, with an interesting mystery. Witchcraft, and satanic themes usually creep me out but this was pretty tame. The relationship between Eve and Roarke is what keeps me coming back to this series, and it was my favorite part of this book. I'm giving this 3 1/2 stars, would have preferred more intensity.
Willow
Here again was a murder mystery that wasn't my favorite. There was no mystery. The murderer is clearly defined, and we even get glimpses into their head without Eve standing between us. The rituals and heebie jeebies was...okay. It was different and sort of throwing the brakes in this world of the future. I loved the glimpses it gave us of Peabody. I absolutely adore Officer Peabody and am so grateful that she's taken the place of Mavis. But I found myself getting pretty frustrated with Eve for ...more
Martina Nix Govoni
La quinta stella è dovuta soprattutto alla continua happydance che ho fatto da giovedì a questa parte, nell'avere tra le mani un nuovo volume della serie In Death, dopo così tanto tempo di stop.
Riavere Roarke, uno degli uomini da libro più fantastici mai trovati, è stata un'emozione non da poco. E pure riavere Eve, una delle mie protagoniste femminili preferiti, tostissima quasi fino a diventare fastidiosa, ma anche per questo molto amata.
Si aggiunge una versione sempre più accattivante e divert
J.D. Robb : Ceremony In Death Buddy Read - May 2016 125 53 Jun 11, 2016 06:17PM
J.D. Robb : Ceremony In Death (Spoiler Zone) 42 111 Apr 09, 2015 06:00AM
J.D. Robb : Buddy Read - Ceremony In Death (Oct. 2013) SPOILER ZONE 194 68 Nov 07, 2014 03:14PM
Madison Mega-Mara...: #31 - Ceremony in Death 1 2 Apr 23, 2014 08:10AM
Readers of Kindle...: Ceremony In Death #5 5 23 Feb 22, 2012 09:59AM
  • Remember When (In Death, #17.6)
  • A Touch of Minx (Samantha Jellicoe, #5)
  • Orchid (St. Helen's, #3)
  • Gone Too Far (Troubleshooters, #6)
  • Hard Evidence (I-Team, #2)
  • Fire And Ice (Ice, #5)
  • Heart of Fire
J.D. Robb is the author of the #1 New York Times bestselling In Death series and the pseudonym for #1 New York Times bestselling author Nora Roberts. The futuristic suspense series stars Eve Dallas, a New York City police lieutenant with a dark past. Initially conceived as a trilogy, readers clamored for more of Eve and the mysterious Roarke. Echoes in Death, on sale February 2017, is the 44th ent ...more
More about J.D. Robb...

In Death (1 - 10 of 45 books)
  • Naked in Death (In Death, #1)
  • Glory in Death (In Death, #2)
  • Immortal in Death (In Death, #3)
  • Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)
  • Vengeance in Death (In Death, #6)
  • Holiday in Death (In Death, #7)
  • Conspiracy in Death (In Death, #8)
  • Loyalty in Death (In Death, #9)
  • Witness in Death (In Death, #10)
  • Judgment in Death (In Death, #11)

“For once, he slept first. She lay in the dark, listening to him breathe, stealing a little of his warmth as her own body cooled. Since he was asleep, she stroked his hair.

"I love you," she murmured. "I love you so much, I'm stupid about it."

With a sigh, she settled down, closed her eyes, and willed her mind to empty.
Beside her, Roarke smiled into the dark.

He never slept first.”
549 likes
“Eve: "Was that like a cookie?"

Roarke: "Hmmm?"

Eve: "You know, have a cookie. You'll feel better. Were you making me feel better?"

Roarke: "I certainly hope so, it worked for me. I wanted you. I always do."

Eve: "It's funny how men can wake up with their brains in their cocks."

Roarke: "It makes us what we are. Let's take a shower. I'll give you another cookie.”
112 likes