Start by marking “The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace the Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace” as Want to Read:

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  267 ratings  ·  25 reviews
You hold in your hand an invitation
To remember the transforming power of forgiveness and lovingkindness. To remember that no matter where you are and what you face, withinyour heart peace is possible.
In this beautiful and graceful little book, internationally renowned Buddhist teacher and meditation master Jack Kornfield has collected age-old teachings, modern stories, a
Published November 26th 2008 by Bantam (first published August 27th 2002)

Be the first to ask a question about The Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace the Art of Forgiveness, Lovingkindness, and Peace

Megan
Mar 25, 2008 Megan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: most anyone
Recommended to Megan by: it was a gift from Ainslie
My favorite quote from this book is "Forgiveness is realizing that you cannot change the past".

The book consists of passages and quotes from different people. It's great to keep on hand for those moments when you might need, ahem, a little strength (and patience) dealing with a situation or person.
Karla
I love this book. What an inpiration! Even if you are not a Buddhist, you will enjoy Kornfield's messages of forgiveness, lovingkindness, compassion, peace, and love. He includes wisdom from other thinkers and peacemakers. Kornfield walks readers though several meditations which are simple yet powerful. A wonderful read for Buddhists, meditators, or anyone searching for peace and joy.

Forgiveness releases us from the power of fear. page 12

Look within, be still.
Free from fear or attachment,
know th
Kara Lane
Jack Kornfield has written a small book that packs a powerful and inpirational punch. Forgiveness, lovingkindess, and peace are the three attributes that lead to a happy life.

The 3 attributes are explained through stories and quotes from people like the Buddha, Benjamin Franklin, and Nelson Mandela. Meditations are included for each of the attributes.

One comment on peace from Kornfield's book that really hit home with me was, "Peace requires us to surrender our illusions of control. We can love
Carol
Kornfield, a Buddhist monk, offers a diverse diet of food for thought that brings awareness today of that lifestyle we may already know is the basis of a good life.
Kelly Shafer
So many pearls of wisdom in this book -- and though I have yet to try them all - the book also includes several meditations around forgiveness, acceptance, lovingkindness and peace. Those meditation exercises I have tried were both meaningful and fruitful. A wonderful book to pick up if I need a word of wisdom in support of mending any rift - even (especially) those times I need to forgive myself.
Angie
This is a great book to read when you just need to relax your mind and stop worrying. My favorite quote:
"If you let go a little, you will have a little happiness.
If you let go a lot, you will have a lot of happiness.
If you let go completely, you will be free."
Pamela Frickmann
I have kept this little gem next to my bedside for several months, and open it up at random to absorb bits at at time... such gentle, encouraging wisdom!

I did not imagine that this book would be quite so meaningful to me.
Shayne Banks
No matter what situation I am in, this book always has a what I need. I received this as a gift from my friend and it has since brought peace into my life.
Indilee
Received this from a friend a few years ago when going through a very tough time - it's very inspiring and helpful with its little stories within.
Tricia McKean
The book is fairly elemental, with a few quotes that are meaningful. However, I am anxious to do the suggested meditations.
Candace
This will be an inspirational reference for me. I know I can pick it up and read a page or two or ten at random and find peace.
Ingrid Williams
This one of my favorite books by Jack Kornfield. Very inspirational and some great guided meditations.
Laurie
This book is full of wisdom. I have put the prayer for lovingkindness up on my wall.

A gem!

Chris
A short book that includes thoughts and meditations on living with peace and loving kindness.
Leslie
This is a wonderful collection of quotes and thoughts from various religions, writers, etc.
Ellen
I keep this book beside my bed. It's incredible as a daily bible, full of wisdom and humor.
Kimz Zahour
I just picked this up now and then and read when the mood struck... it was very inspiring.
Amanda
A little book of spiritual vignettes for anyone requiring a top-up of Kornfield.
Leslie
So much wisdom in this collection of quotes and tiny essays and meditations.
Luca
some good guided meditations, but some cheesy new age gooeyness too.
David Roberts
Short book, very inspiring, with some nice guided meditations.
Rosanne Friedlander
It's wrapping me in a soft sweet blanket of kindness.
Maig
Fabulous. Down to earth reminders for those seeking peace.
Curtis
meditations on these virtues
Deanna
Deanna is currently reading it
Dec 07, 2014
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Interbeing: Fourteen Guidelines for Engaged Buddhism
  • Arriving at Your Own Door: 108 Lessons in Mindfulness
  • One Dharma: The Emerging Western Buddhism
  • Buddha Is as Buddha Does: The Ten Original Practices for Enlightened Living
  • Toward a Psychology of Awakening: Buddhism, Psychotherapy, and the Path of Personal and Spiritual Transformation
  • The Accidental Buddhist: Mindfulness, Enlightenment, and Sitting Still, American Style
  • Open to Desire: Embracing a Lust for Life - Insights from Buddhism and Psychotherapy
  • Relax, You're Going to Die
  • A Gradual Awakening
  • Radical Self-Acceptance: A Buddhist Guide to Freeing Yourself from Shame
  • Happiness Is an Inside Job: Practicing for a Joyful Life
  • Inner Revolution
  • Walking Meditation [With CD and DVD]
Jack Kornfield trained as a Buddhist monk in the monasteries of Thailand, India and Burma. He has taught meditation internationally since 1974 and is one of the key teachers to introduce Buddhist mindfulness practice to the West. He began his training after graduating from Dartmouth College in Asian Studies in 1967. Then he joined the Peace Corps and was assigned to the Public Health Service in no ...more
More about Jack Kornfield...
A Path with Heart: A Guide Through the Perils and Promises of Spiritual Life The Wise Heart: A Guide to the Universal Teachings of Buddhist Psychology After the Ecstasy, the Laundry: How the Heart Grows Wise on the Spiritual Path Teachings of the Buddha Meditation for Beginners

“There are many ways that I have hurt and harmed others, have betrayed or abandoned them, caused them suffering, knowingly or unknowingly, out of my pain, fear, anger, and confusion.

Let yourself remember and visualize the ways you have hurt others. See the pain you have caused out of your own fear and confusion. Feel your own sorrow and regret. Sense that finally you can release this burden and ask for forgiveness. Take as much time as you need to picture each memory that still burdens your heart. And then as each person comes to mind, gently say:
I ask for your forgiveness, I ask for your forgiveness.”
42 likes
“The words of the Buddha offer this truth: ∼ Hatred never ceases by hatred but by love alone is healed.” 4 likes