Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

4.22  ·  Rating Details  ·  910 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
Sherlock Holmes is the greatest detective of them all. He sits in his room, and smokes his pipe. He listens, and watches, and thinks. He listens to the steps coming up the stairs; he watches the door opening - and he knows what question the stranger will ask. In these three of his best stories, Holmes has three visitors to the famous flat in Baker Street - visitors who bri ...more
Published by Oxford University Press (first published 1989)

Forrest Gump by Winston GroomThe Devil Wears Prada by Lauren WeisbergerJurassic Park by Michael CrichtonJumanji by Chris Van AllsburgMary Poppins by P.L. Travers
I Only Watched the Movie!
423rd out of 920 books — 5,385 voters
The Complete Stories and Poems by Edgar Allan PoeSewing Can Be Dangerous and Other Small Threads by S.R. MalleryCuriosity kills the KatHA by Ashok  KallarakkalLove, Life and Everything Else by Xunaira J.Papap's Teeth by Danielle DeVor
Best Fiction Short Stories
340th out of 501 books — 363 voters

More lists with this book...

Fiza
Feb 12, 2015 Fiza rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a fan of Sherlock Holmes. It is one of my favourite books. He is so smart. I wish I could be as smart as he, but I know he is not real. It is just a book but tell lots of things.

When I read this book I feel so exited and always been curious what will happen at the end. I have read it more than two times. All I want to say is it's a really good book and yeah every teenage would like to read it.
Nang Michelle
Mar 05, 2015 Nang Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sherlock Holmes is a very smart detective. He knows everything figuring things out all by himself. I love the story" A Scandal in Bohemia" where he finds a woman smarter than him. Now I know what kind of books I like. I like Mystery Thrillers.(no killing involved)
Ken Horie

4. Air-vent
5. Bell rope
6. Falling metal
7. Speckled band

'I ran into the corridor, and just then I heard a whistle, and a minute later the sound of falling metal. ' this sentence creates the tense atmosphere and made me so nervous. It's a key point of the story and the one Sherlock Holmes made most attention to infer case.

This is one of the most famous detective stories, Sherlock Holmes. As the very beginning of this book tells, 'Tourists still go to Bake
Nhi Nguyễn
Reading this book again and I kinda like it more than the first time I read it, so I change my rating to 4 stars :)) Interesting stories, not necessarily the best about Sherlock Holmes, but they still have enough level of mystery and wit to charm me. And it was actually quite a surprise (a good surprise ^^) to see there was someone who was even cleverer than Mr. Holmes :D
Igino
May 12, 2015 Igino rated it liked it
Well I'm done for school reading (For now gotta go read a book for Spanish class, ugh) and it's actually very good, my edition, 38 pages was very good for that amount, very mysterious and creepy.

3.5
Adamina
Oct 22, 2014 Adamina rated it it was amazing
I like the suspense, detective novels. I like Sherlock Holmes Very much, he really is a very intelligent person. I also like Watson. In short,i liked this novel.Sherlock Holmes Short Stories is a good book.
Yuki Niijima
Sep 27, 2014 Yuki Niijima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It's easy to read and a story is very short so that I could read one story in a short time! Actually, I don't like mystery but it's interesting.
Himawari Ogawa

1. Publisher: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Company: Oxford
Level:2

2. Time: 6/19 13mins 32mins

3. snake, air vent, bell rope, photograph, important, pips, death

4. Can you touch snakes??
Yes I can. When I went to Thailand, I took a picture with a snake.
It was good boy. lol
Do you like to collect photographs??
Yes I do!! I like to take pictures and after that
I also like to make an album.

5. In this book, there are 3 stories. First story is easy to understand.
But I know that kind of mystery is not easy for me
Thanh Le
Feb 26, 2015 Thanh Le rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book is very interesting. Mr. Sherlock Holmes is very smart and has logical thinking. I really love the way he solved problems.
Elisa Tomassetti
Jul 03, 2014 Elisa Tomassetti rated it liked it
I didn't read all of the stories but the ones i read were really intresting. There was a lot of suspence and mistery.
Erika Saito
Nov 07, 2012 Erika Saito rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
-Oxford university press
-Time: 11/7 = 90 minutes
-7 ward summary: afraid, dead, room, marry, killed, India, snake
-Discussion question:
1. How violent man can change his own character?
I think it takes a lot of time to treat, and while he try to tray, he shouldn't meet many people. Just living countryside or silent place alone, he would be better.
2. If your father try to kill myself, what will you do?
When I feel scary or afraid, I will leave home immediately even if I have no place to go.

How clever
Ryo Morishita
Title: Sherlock Holmes
Author: Clare West
Publisher: OXFORD
Level: 2
Time: 70minutes
Notes: This book gathers three stories. I wrote here about first one.
Discussion Question:
1- Have you ever read some Sherlock Holmes' stories?
- Not so many. But I am always surprised at his clever behaviors !
2- Have you been bitted by some animals?
- Yes, I have been bitted by cats and dogs. It was very painful!!! I really don't want to be bitted by snakes.

7-words summary
1- detective
2- kill
3- hole
4-snak
Samer
Sep 16, 2015 Samer added it
You never know what is going to happen!
Mohamed Aymen
Jun 26, 2013 Takahiko Masuda rated it really liked it
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, Level 2
2. 110min
3. detective,pipe,snake,criminal,baker street,riddles,accident
4. Do you want to become a ditective? Why?
-No, I don't. I think that it is dangerous job like police.
5. There are three short stories in this book. I like mystery story but these story are difficult for me a little bit. Sherlock Holmes was very clever person and he has great courage. I don’t want to become a detective but I want to be like him. This book may make you exciting.
Kyohei
Jul 02, 2013 Kyohei rated it liked it

1. OXFORD Level.2

2. 80 minutes 7/3/2013

3. 1. London 2. stepfather 3. detective 4. room 5. locked 6. dead 7. clever

4. Q Have you ever been to London?
A No, I haven't. The country that I've ever been to overseas is Singapore.

5. I like mystery so I enjoyed reading this book. I think Sherock Holmes is very clever. This book has three stories. My favorite story is "THE SPECKLED BAND." I tried to spot the trick in this story but I couldn't. I want you to read this book.
Mikhail Chentsov
Jul 10, 2014 Mikhail Chentsov rated it it was amazing
Easy and great!
Miyuki Kato
1.Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, level2
2. 120 minutes
3.detective, stranger, Baker street, troubles, visitors, pipe, Watson
4.Do you like mystery? Why?
I like it because it makes me interested.
5.Sherlock Holmes is very great detective. A visitor bring their troubles to the only man in the world who can help them........

It was very interesting for me! However, it is very difficult story. Some people don't like it.
Yorika Oka
Oct 02, 2013 Yorika Oka rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oxford reader Level2
Time=9/2 90minutes
seven word summary=Holmes-detective-stepfather-snake-majesty-photo-pip
Do you like Sherlock Holmes?
Yes. I Like him. He is very smart and he solve a lot of problems with his thought.
I like mystery nobel. Three stories in the book. These were so interesting stories and I really love them. I want to read other stories about Sherlock Holmes.
Atsushi Yamamoto
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, Level 2
2. 3 hours
3. 1.detective 2.pipe 3. friendship 4.criminal 5.scandal 6.riddles 7.clever
4. Do you like answer a riddle? Why?
Yes, I do. That's because, when I found the correct answer, I'm happy!
5. I like mystery, so it was fun. This book contains some short stories of Sherlock Holmes. If you read it, you can understand how clever he is.
Daichi Yokoyama
May 06, 2013 Daichi Yokoyama rated it liked it
I took 63minutes in total.I enjoyed this book.
seven words
detective uncle dead letter accident anger clever

Q Do you know this person "Sherlock Holmes"? If you know, where did you get to know?
A I knew him when I was in high school. I learned it in Japanese class.

This is a very interesting book, I think.
Monica Keller
Jul 10, 2013 Monica Keller rated it liked it
30minutes
detective, story, criminal, kill, picture, death, pips
Do you think he is a good detective?
I want to learn about him more and I thought he is a good detective.
The story was difficult to understand.
Yuka Shiroki
Oct 08, 2012 Yuka Shiroki rated it liked it
Shelves:
oxford /level 2
time = 15minutes
1.sister 2.killed 3.visit 4.house 5.air vent 6.snake 7.father
I like shrlock holmes because he is very clever. But I couldn't understand the mystery cleary.
David
A collection of 3 short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes. This is the first time I've read about Sherlock Holmes (school required reading) and I must say I really liked it.
Derick
May 29, 2008 Derick rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, classics
It is one of the best mystery books I has ever read. I really enjoy the stories. When you come to the last part of the stories, there are always something unexpecting to happen.
Stephanie
May 29, 2011 Stephanie rated it liked it
Well, Sherlock Holmes is definitely an appealing character. However, the book itself isn't really all that awesome because there are not much detail inside of it.
Ahmed
Aug 23, 2013 Ahmed rated it it was amazing
Shelves: english
لا تفكر بشيء سوى كيف سيُنهي كل المشاكل التي اوقع نفسه بها .. عبث ذكي و تشويق لاستدراج الحبكة قبل النهاية ... طائرة تقطع غيمةً لم تزل تخطف همس التراب .. كدائرة .
Bayansa
Oct 28, 2010 Bayansa rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, fiction, crime
to be honest .. Robert Downey Jr is the reason why i read these short stories of Sherlock Holmes .. Delicious ..
Mahsa
Jul 09, 2007 Mahsa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thebest
هوالحق
مهم اين نيست كه كدوم كتاب در مورد شرلوك هلمز باشه. مهم اينه كه شرلوك هلمزه. عالي بود
s 3 2 May 02, 2012 10:04AM
  • Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories
  • Six Tales from Shakespeare (Stories to Remember)
  • The Canterville Ghost
Clare West has over twenty years' TEFL classroom experience in the UK and overseas, and has led workshops for teachers in Switzerland, the Netherlands, Greece, and Argentina. For most of her teaching career she was involved with long-stay students on Cambridge examination courses, and engaged in the development of strategies to improve students' reading and writing skills.

She is now a freelance au
More about Clare West...