Start by marking “Sherlock Holmes Short Stories” as Want to Read:
Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

Sherlock Holmes Short Stories

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  452 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Sherlock Holmes is the greatest detective of them all. He sits in his room, and smokes his pipe. He listens, and watches, and thinks. He listens to the steps coming up the stairs; he watches the door opening - and he knows what question the stranger will ask. In these three of his best stories, Holmes has three visitors to the famous flat in Baker Street - visitors who bri ...more
Published by Oxford University Press (first published 1989)

Molly Sparber
There were three of Doyle's more well
Known works in this slim volume: The Speckled Band, A Scandal in Bohemia and The Five Orange Pips. I have read all three before and it pains me to see the butcher job that was done to abridge it. It's a lesson well learned to NEVER read abridged texts of Sherlock Holmes
Adamina
I like the suspense, detective novels. I like Sherlock Holmes Very much, he really is a very intelligent person. I also like Watson. In short,i liked this novel.Sherlock Holmes Short Stories is a good book.
Yuki Niijima
It's easy to read and a story is very short so that I could read one story in a short time! Actually, I don't like mystery but it's interesting.
Himawari Ogawa

1. Publisher: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Company: Oxford
Level:2

2. Time: 6/19 13mins 32mins

3. snake, air vent, bell rope, photograph, important, pips, death

4. Can you touch snakes??
→Yes I can. When I went to Thailand, I took a picture with a snake.
It was good boy. lol
Do you like to collect photographs??
→Yes I do!! I like to take pictures and after that
I also like to make an album.

5. In this book, there are 3 stories. First story is easy to understand.
But I know that kind of mystery is not easy for
Elisa Tomassetti
I didn't read all of the stories but the ones i read were really intresting. There was a lot of suspence and mistery.
Erika Saito
-Oxford university press
-Time: 11/7 = 90 minutes
-7 ward summary: afraid, dead, room, marry, killed, India, snake
-Discussion question:
1. How violent man can change his own character?
I think it takes a lot of time to treat, and while he try to tray, he shouldn't meet many people. Just living countryside or silent place alone, he would be better.
2. If your father try to kill myself, what will you do?
When I feel scary or afraid, I will leave home immediately even if I have no place to go.

How clever
Ryo Morishita
Title: Sherlock Holmes
Author: Clare West
Publisher: OXFORD
Level: 2
Time: 70minutes
Notes: This book gathers three stories. I wrote here about first one.
Discussion Question:
1- Have you ever read some Sherlock Holmes' stories?
- Not so many. But I am always surprised at his clever behaviors !
2- Have you been bitted by some animals?
- Yes, I have been bitted by cats and dogs. It was very painful!!! I really don't want to be bitted by snakes.

7-words summary
Takahiko Masuda
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, Level 2
2. 110min
3. detective,pipe,snake,criminal,baker street,riddles,accident
4. Do you want to become a ditective? Why?
-No, I don't. I think that it is dangerous job like police.
5. There are three short stories in this book. I like mystery story but these story are difficult for me a little bit. Sherlock Holmes was very clever person and he has great courage. I don’t want to become a detective but I want to be like him. This book may make you exciting.
Kyohei

1. OXFORD Level.2

2. 80 minutes 7/3/2013

3. 1. London 2. stepfather 3. detective 4. room 5. locked 6. dead 7. clever

4. Q Have you ever been to London?
A No, I haven't. The country that I've ever been to overseas is Singapore.

5. I like mystery so I enjoyed reading this book. I think Sherock Holmes is very clever. This book has three stories. My favorite story is "THE SPECKLED BAND." I tried to spot the trick in this story but I couldn't. I want you to read this book.
Miyuki Kato
1.Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, level2
2. 120 minutes
3.detective, stranger, Baker street, troubles, visitors, pipe, Watson
4.Do you like mystery? Why?
I like it because it makes me interested.
5.Sherlock Holmes is very great detective. A visitor bring their troubles to the only man in the world who can help them........

It was very interesting for me! However, it is very difficult story. Some people don't like it.
Yorika Oka
Oxford reader Level2
Time=9/2 90minutes
seven word summary=Holmes-detective-stepfather-snake-majesty-photo-pip
Do you like Sherlock Holmes?
Yes. I Like him. He is very smart and he solve a lot of problems with his thought.
I like mystery nobel. Three stories in the book. These were so interesting stories and I really love them. I want to read other stories about Sherlock Holmes.
Atsushi Yamamoto
1. Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Oxford, Level 2
2. 3 hours
3. 1.detective 2.pipe 3. friendship 4.criminal 5.scandal 6.riddles 7.clever
4. Do you like answer a riddle? Why?
Yes, I do. That's because, when I found the correct answer, I'm happy!
5. I like mystery, so it was fun. This book contains some short stories of Sherlock Holmes. If you read it, you can understand how clever he is.
Daichi Yokoyama
I took 63minutes in total.I enjoyed this book.
seven words
detective uncle dead letter accident anger clever

Q Do you know this person "Sherlock Holmes"? If you know, where did you get to know?
A I knew him when I was in high school. I learned it in Japanese class.

This is a very interesting book, I think.
Monica Keller
30minutes
detective, story, criminal, kill, picture, death, pips
Do you think he is a good detective?
I want to learn about him more and I thought he is a good detective.
The story was difficult to understand.
Yuka Shiroki
oxford /level 2
time = 15minutes
1.sister 2.killed 3.visit 4.house 5.air vent 6.snake 7.father
I like shrlock holmes because he is very clever. But I couldn't understand the mystery cleary.
David
A collection of 3 short stories featuring Sherlock Holmes. This is the first time I've read about Sherlock Holmes (school required reading) and I must say I really liked it.
Derick
It is one of the best mystery books I has ever read. I really enjoy the stories. When you come to the last part of the stories, there are always something unexpecting to happen.
Stephanie
Well, Sherlock Holmes is definitely an appealing character. However, the book itself isn't really all that awesome because there are not much detail inside of it.
Ahmed
لا تفكر بشيء سوى كيف سيُنهي كل المشاكل التي اوقع نفسه بها .. عبث ذكي و تشويق لاستدراج الحبكة قبل النهاية ... طائرة تقطع غيمةً لم تزل تخطف همس التراب .. كدائرة .
Bayansa
to be honest .. Robert Downey Jr is the reason why i read these short stories of Sherlock Holmes .. Delicious ..
Mahsa
هوالحق
مهم اين نيست كه كدوم كتاب در مورد شرلوك هلمز باشه. مهم اينه كه شرلوك هلمزه. عالي بود
Ignacio
Buen libro, recomendado para aquellos quienes desean aprender y practicar el inglés.
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
s 3 2 May 02, 2012 10:04AM
  • Sherlock Holmes: Selected Stories
Clare West has over twenty years' TEFL classroom experience in the UK and overseas, and has led workshops for teachers in Switzerland, the Netherlands, Greece, and Argentina. For most of her teaching career she was involved with long-stay students on Cambridge examination courses, and engaged in the development of strategies to improve students' reading and writing skills.

She is now a freelance au
More about Clare West...
Gulliver's Travels The Joy Luck Club Crime Never Pays Tess of the D'Urbervilles From the Cradle to the Grave