Start by marking “Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes” as Want to Read:
Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

Murder, My Dear Watson: New Tales of Sherlock Holmes

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  90 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Eccentric, coldly rational, brilliant, doughty, exacting, lazy—in full bohemian color the world's most famous literary detective and his loyal companion Dr. John Watson investigate a series of previously unrecorded cases in this second collection of totally original and confounding tales. As in the popular debut volume, Murder in Baker Street, Anne Perry and ten more popul ...more
Published November 6th 2003 by Running Press (first published October 15th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Murder, My Dear Watson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Murder, My Dear Watson

Pamela Barrett
Oct 05, 2010 Pamela Barrett rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: if you love short tightly written mysteries
A treasure chest of short stories and interesting knowledge about Sherlock Holmes. Each perfectly packaged story is a thought evoking treat. This is a must read for those who can't get enough of Holmes and Watson.
Jc
Jun 14, 2015 Jc rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A team of great collection editors and writers put this stash together. Not recommending this for those just learning of Holmes. But, for those well versed in the Canon and it study, this assortment of short stories and essays is a great find. The tales are for the most part unique (one even features the original Sherlockian actor, the great William Gillette) and well written, featuring such authors as L.D. Estleman, Colin Bruce, and Daniel Stashower. OF special interest are the essays, touching ...more
Kayt
If the previous Holmes anthology by these same editors was horrible, then happily they learned: this collection is much more satisfying.

Interestingly enough, the book starts off with a foreword that recounts Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's words: "You may marry [Holmes:] or murder him or do what you want with him." Between this and the previous, barely-mediocre collection, I was afraid of more bad stories. Luckily, the majority were good.

One of the stories took a non-Watson view of the story, which I e
Darlene Cypser
Oct 06, 2012 Darlene Cypser rated it liked it
Shelves: sherlock-holmes
I am often disappointed by collections of Sherlock Holmes short stories. They often contain a number of stories that I do not consider worth of publication or not yet ready for publication. Many collections, including this one, are padded with Sherlockian essays. I like to ready essays as well but I don't like to mix them.

I have started looking at anthologies in a different manner. I now consider whether there is at least one story making the purchase of the book worth while. In this one there
Cyn Mcdonald
Mar 08, 2016 Cyn Mcdonald rated it liked it
Shelves: black-sphinx
Originally published in 2003, which makes the essay on "Sherlock Holmes on the Internet" both amusing and sad. How far we have come since the days of the "listserv"!

The stories on the whole are pretty good, but not especially memorable -- although it was a curious coincidence that I had read The Maltese Falcon shortly before encountering "The Adventure of the Rara Avis".
Lattisha Fox
Honestly, only one story and one of the essays were worth reading. Not terrible, but there's much better anthologies out there.
Riju Ganguly
Same hash, same kind of stories, enjoyable at first read, and then you forget them completely.
Annie
Jul 30, 2009 Annie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a Holmesianphile so I enjoy anything Sherlock-y.
Lychee
Lychee added it
May 26, 2016
Amy Lin
Amy Lin marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Oliver Pink
Oliver Pink marked it as to-read
May 17, 2016
Cindy
Cindy marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Farseer
Farseer marked it as to-read
May 12, 2016
Sandi
Sandi added it
May 24, 2016
C Lambert
C Lambert marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Mary Karabekios
Mary Karabekios marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
arshia mahmoudi
arshia mahmoudi marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Betty
Betty marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2016
Ruth
Ruth added it
Apr 19, 2016
John Kohl
John Kohl marked it as to-read
Apr 15, 2016
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
Apr 14, 2016
Bex
Bex marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2016
Walter Schwager
Walter Schwager marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Andrew Fryer
Andrew Fryer marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Matthew
Matthew marked it as to-read
Shauna Hunt
Shauna Hunt marked it as to-read
BookeWyrm
BookeWyrm marked it as to-read
Amy Caslmon
Amy Caslmon marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
Lynn Sakl
Lynn Sakl marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2016
  • Night Watch: A Long-Lost Adventure in Which Sherlock Holmes Meets Father Brown
  • The Mammoth Book of the Lost Chronicles of Sherlock Holmes
  • My Sherlock Holmes: Untold Stories of the Great Detective
  • The Adventures of Inspector Lestrade
  • Sherlock Holmes for Dummies
  • The Disappearance of Sherlock Holmes
  • Two Hundred and Twenty-One Baker Streets: An Anthology of Holmesian Tales Across Time and Space
  • The Secret Files of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Shadows of Sherlock Holmes (Wordsworth Collection)
  • Gaslight Arcanum: Uncanny Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Star of India
  • The Dark Water: The Strange Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Web Weaver
  • The Oriental Casebook of Sherlock Holmes
  • The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Seventh Bullet (The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes)
  • Sherlock Holmes, The Missing Years: Japan
  • Gaslight Grimoire: Fantastic Tales of Sherlock Holmes
  • Sherlock Holmes Was Wrong: Reopening the Case of The Hound of the Baskervilles
Martin Harry Greenberg was an American academic and speculative fiction anthologist. In all, he compiled 1,298 anthologies and commissioned over 8,200 original short stories. He founded Tekno Books, a packager of more than 2000 published books. In addition, he was a co-founder of the Sci-Fi Channel.
More about Martin H. Greenberg...